Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Who writes this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Who writes this poo poo?

Your aunt.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Actually the Founders did debate setting term limits on the Congress and Executive branches. They eventually reasoned, though, that if voters liked their Congressman why should they not have the option to return them to Congress?

At least I think that was the reason...

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Dr. Tough posted:

Your aunt.

Great answer, though my family is die hard conservative and watches o'reilly and beck every night, they refuse to touch computers.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Great answer, though my family is die hard conservative and watches o'reilly and beck every night, they refuse to touch computers.

That's usually how it is until one of them "discovers" email and unleashes a thousand horrors upon civilization.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
As an outside observer I'm morbidly fascinated by the Tea Party movement but how big is it really? They take up a lot of attention in this forum and I realize they are very vocal and entertaining but when all is said and done it's surely still just a tiny minority?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Anosmoman posted:

As an outside observer I'm morbidly fascinated by the Tea Party movement but how big is it really? They take up a lot of attention in this forum and I realize they are very vocal and entertaining but when all is said and done it's surely still just a tiny minority?

I don't know the exact number but if you're talking about people who have actually gone to a protest or a gathering it's tiny. The media just loves to put cameras on angry white people. They're the talk of the town because GOPer's love talking about this grass roots movement that claims to be all about what they claim to be about and the Dems love making fun of them. It's kind of like the nations' girlfriends' ugly dog.

If you're lumping in people who just subscribe the idea and don't elevate their action beyond forwarding an email or calling someone a human being liberal on a news stories comment section it's larger...but still not a majority in any way.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 24, 2010

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Anosmoman posted:

They are sponsored by the Republican party and Fox News while claiming they are a grass roots organization. They represent the 20%-40% of Americans who think the Bush Jr years were good ones.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Anosmoman posted:

If you're vocal in American Media you get coverage. That's really the way it works. They represent <1% of America but get the most coverage due to the fact they are loud and stupid.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I know this may not be the thread to ask but I don't know where else to put it and don't want to open a thread to get mocked, so:

What's the deal with Reagan? Why do I feel like he's the conservative...Jesus of the right wing? From what I understand of his presidency he did some really horrible things and kinda hosed the economy up, so why is he so idolized? Did I miss an entry about him curing cancer or something? I'm being really honest, I just don't get it. Have I just read wrong and he wasn't responsible for stuff like Hamas and star wars?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
There's a lot of reasons but the big one is Reaganomics aka trickle down economics. He basically cut taxes for the rich saying that if the rich are making more money they spend it on good and services the lower classes are selling, therefore cutting taxes of the rich helps everyone.

It's basically controlled Republican's views on economics ever since.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Well I think there's a little more to it than just trickle down economics, although that's a biggie.

The Cold War, which had defined a couple of generations of America, ended during the Reagan Administration. Whether or not you credit the Reagan era defense buildup with this or not, it's a huge plus for any president or administration to have on their record.

Big things, good or bad, that happen during presidencies define them, and the presidents generally receive credit or blame accordingly whether deserved or not. So the defining events of the GWB presidency are 9/11, the Iraq invasion, Katrina, and the mortgage/financial meltdown. The Iraq invasion he entirely owns, having shoved it down a (willing) country's throat, Katrina he can largely own since the horrible federal response was his and was in large part responsible for the severity of the disaster, and the degree of culpability for 9/11 and the financial meltdown can be vigorously debated.

Reagan and his people promoted the idea of American exceptionalism and an unapologetic, aggressive America where greedy self interest was a high virtue, and jingoistic nationalism was central. After a Carter presidency largely remembered for humiliations like the Iranian hostage crisis, energy crisis and gas shortages, the "malaise" speech etc., these were messages that a lot of people really wanted to hear.

So it's the fact that Reagan got the end of the Cold War, had a big economic expansion, and promoted nationalism/jingoism right on the heels of the Carter Administration.

And, just like with Palin, because Reagan was a plain spoken dude who used simple language, this caused a lot of people to identify with him as "one of us", although I think he was a million times the speaker Palin is, at least he was coherent. Initially.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah I knew there was more to it, but I think Reaganomics is the most persisting of them all. Trickle down economics is a mantra still used today, it's outclassed the cold war as a political tactic to garner support.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah I knew there was more to it, but I think Reaganomics is the most persisting of them all. Trickle down economics is a mantra still used today, it's outclassed the cold war as a political tactic to garner support.

Most of the appeal of Reagan is a myth. http://www.salon.com/books/excerpt/2009/02/02/ronald_reagan/print.html is an excerpt of a book that tears down the Reagan myth. This myth telling is a whole point of the neoconservative movement.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
More facebook dad-chat

dad posted:

conservatives are not in favor of state enforcement of any trade or industry. You confuse us conservatives for liberals who use the force of government all the time to control business. It's liberals in government that make insestuous relations with unionized labour and force companies to enter into contracts that are unsustainable. And don't be so quick to degrade the pursuit of profit. It is exactly that which is the reason any one achieves any thing. In order for one person to profit they must first offer some one else a good or service which is deemed useful and pleasing. Of course there are a few exceptions but the exceptions prove the rule. LOVE YOU.

See, the only reason anyone does anything is profit, duh, Econ 101.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

dat one portagee posted:

More facebook dad-chat

See, the only reason anyone does anything is profit, duh, Econ 101.

REPEAL CHILD LABOR LAWS. LOVE YOU.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zwabu posted:

So it's the fact that Reagan got the end of the Cold War, had a big economic expansion, and promoted nationalism/jingoism right on the heels of the Carter Administration.

Not just the Carter Admin, the country had been in loving hell since Kennedy's assassination -- war, cold war, hostages, recession, inflation, the military in a shambles, political scandals, people angry at government, distrustful of politicians (even more than now), our country a laughing stock. While Reagan did some shady things and implemented a horrible economic concept; he was largely responsible for restoring our country's pride and respect. He kicked the dirt bags out of the military, made sure discipline was restored, improved training, flexed a little muscle in Grenada, got the hostages back; there were many positive things that came from his presidency even though many people have forgotten, or want to forget. Reagan was really more of a conservative democrat anyway.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Please tell me you're quoting a crazy forwarded political email there.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

wormil posted:

Not just the Carter Admin, the country had been in loving hell since Kennedy's assassination -- war, cold war, hostages, recession, inflation, the military in a shambles, political scandals, people angry at government, distrustful of politicians (even more than now), our country a laughing stock. While Reagan did some shady things and implemented a horrible economic concept; he was largely responsible for restoring our country's pride and respect. He kicked the dirt bags out of the military, made sure discipline was restored, improved training, flexed a little muscle in Grenada, got the hostages back; there were many positive things that came from his presidency even though many people have forgotten, or want to forget. Reagan was really more of a conservative democrat anyway.

It's awesome you can admit those soldiers in Vietnam were dirt bags! He really was the pimp Democrat of his time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

downout posted:

It's awesome you can admit those soldiers in Vietnam were dirt bags! He really was the pimp Democrat of his time.

I realize what you're trying to say there but you're not saying what you think you're saying.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

One of my uncles spent last summer going on and on about the cash for clunkers program. He picked up from somewhere that the engine seizing process was to use a nebulous "chemical" and you had to run the engine hours while it spit out noxious fumes before seizing, and then metal couldn't be recycled after that. That didn't make a lot of sense to me since you could just drain the oil, dump some sand in there, and kill it quick. Sure enough, all they do is replace the oil with a sodium silica solution and it dies in a minute or two, then get sent to scrap for processing.

Any idea where he picked that crap up from? I figured it was talk radio, but I haven't been able to find another source repeating that story.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

One of my uncles spent last summer going on and on about the cash for clunkers program. He picked up from somewhere that the engine seizing process was to use a nebulous "chemical" and you had to run the engine hours while it spit out noxious fumes before seizing, and then metal couldn't be recycled after that. That didn't make a lot of sense to me since you could just drain the oil, dump some sand in there, and kill it quick. Sure enough, all they do is replace the oil with a sodium silica solution and it dies in a minute or two, then get sent to scrap for processing.

Any idea where he picked that crap up from? I figured it was talk radio, but I haven't been able to find another source repeating that story.

Haven't seen a source myself. It may have just come from ignorance about the claims that destroying the engines was dumb and that the program was enviromentally unsound due to the pieces of the cars that were ruined so they couldn't be used again either in another car or having the dealer resell the car.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

notcreativeenough posted:

Haven't seen a source myself. It may have just come from ignorance about the claims that destroying the engines was dumb and that the program was enviromentally unsound due to the pieces of the cars that were ruined so they couldn't be used again either in another car or having the dealer resell the car.

Yeah, and that all is bunk because it either keeps those cars on the market which defeats the purpose or it floods the market with used replacement parts so its cheaper to keep the other ones that weren't traded in running. Just another random rumor by idiots, for idiots I guess.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

downout posted:

Look up the "Hollow Army"

After the end of the draft, the recruiting standards were lowered drastically. The Army really was a shambles from about 1975 to early 80's.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, and that all is bunk because it either keeps those cars on the market which defeats the purpose or it floods the market with used replacement parts so its cheaper to keep the other ones that weren't traded in running. Just another random rumor by idiots, for idiots I guess.

Well they did take as much of the car as possible to reused in other cars. Just not the engine or axle which is you know the major parts of the car that are fuel inefficent.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Armyman25 posted:

Look up the "Hollow Army"

After the end of the draft, the recruiting standards were lowered drastically. The Army really was a shambles from about 1975 to early 80's.

Well if those drat conservatives hadn't claimed pimples multiple times or an rear end boil as the reason they couldn't enlist the standards wouldn't have been lowered.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

notcreativeenough posted:

Well if those drat conservatives hadn't claimed pimples multiple times or an rear end boil as the reason they couldn't enlist the standards wouldn't have been lowered.

Post Vietnam and Post draft, the Army was a very unpopular organization. It was rife with crime, drug use, and had poor equipment and lacked funding. The military was really turned around during the 80's.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Armyman25 posted:

Post Vietnam and Post draft, the Army was a very unpopular organization. It was rife with crime, drug use, and had poor equipment and lacked funding. The military was really turned around during the 80's.

True. When I joined in the mid-80's, soldiers openly smoked pot in the barracks during the day. If someone was being kicked out it took months and they lingered around the unit forced to do poo poo jobs, trying to make everyone else miserable and being paid in the process. There were guys who probably should have been in a VA outpatient facility but were still active duty. Things were already beginning to turn around though, discipline was increased, drug testing was enforced, training was taken more seriously and the Army got rid of tons of people either through early outs or just giving them the boot.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Miss Fats posted:

Got a couple good ones guys. Now we can stop talking about who got spit on when.

I especially like this: "if not, just delete." Please don't email me back. It may interfere with my world view as I have it now and I'm trying to live in an echo chamber.

I like this part the most:

quote:

"On September 25,
2009 from 4 am until 7
pm, a National Day of Prayer for the Muslim religion was
held on Capitol Hill,
beside the White House. There were over 50,000 Muslims that
day in DC."
because aside from the Muslim day of prayer being organized from outside of Washington... there are over 50,000 Muslims every day in DC. More than 10% of the DC population is Muslim, and DC has around 600,000 residents.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

swarthmeister posted:

I like this part the most:
because aside from the Muslim day of prayer being organized from outside of Washington... there are over 50,000 Muslims every day in DC. More than 10% of the DC population is Muslim, and DC has around 600,000 residents.

But...but...Christian Nation...

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Ugh. I got this doozy forwarded:

quote:

Dear Friend in Christ,

Tax-payer funded abortion is now a reality. But the real sin is, how much Catholics were instrumental in bringing this about.

This episode of the Vortex spells it out. Please pass it on to friends and family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dbD2SXSRwA

God bless,

Michael Voris
~senior executive producer, RealCatholicTV.com

...in addition to a rambling email from my father about how Protestantism has corrupted Catholicism in the US, pissing on the Kennedys (not too surprising) and "94% of house Catholics vote [sic] for a bill that allows abortion funding" (if I remember correctly, this is outright wrong because of the executive order), and how the life of the unborn trumps all else.

I hate getting these emails. At least the abortion funding bit is outright wrong so I can easily refute that, right?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I stopped the video once I read the description of "When 94 percent of Catholic senators vote to kill children..."

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Navaash posted:

Ugh. I got this doozy forwarded:

...in addition to a rambling email from my father about how Protestantism has corrupted Catholicism in the US, pissing on the Kennedys (not too surprising) and "94% of house Catholics vote [sic] for a bill that allows abortion funding" (if I remember correctly, this is outright wrong because of the executive order), and how the life of the unborn trumps all else.

I hate getting these emails. At least the abortion funding bit is outright wrong so I can easily refute that, right?

The only mention in the entire bible of anything like abortion is something to the effect of:

If a man beats a pregnant woman and she has a miscarriage, the man pays monetary compensation to the husband, if the husband wants it.

And no, the bill does not have any provisions for providing money for abortions.

dja98
Aug 2, 2003
In the summertime, when the weather is high, you can stretch right up and touch the sky

Gripen5 posted:

The only mention in the entire bible of anything like abortion is something to the effect of:

If a man beats a pregnant woman and she has a miscarriage, the man pays monetary compensation to the husband, if the husband wants it.

True, but their argument is that unborn children are alive - therefore, the 6th Commandment 'Thou shalt not kill' applies.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

dja98 posted:

True, but their argument is that unborn children are alive - therefore, the 6th Commandment 'Thou shalt not kill' applies.

The funny thing about the commandments is that they are extremely vague laws and just about the only laws/rules in the entire bible that have no associated punishment or penalty.

"Don't do it... or else!"
"Ok, Dad." :rolleyes:

Hell different sects can't even agree on how they are numbered. Not to mention they are for the most part the same laws that have been the basis of just about every law system since Hammurabi's code. I hate the 10 Commandments. They are underwhelming and useless.

Edit: Sorry if I sound anti-religion or anything. Not really my intention. I just think the glorification of the 10 Commandments (especially by Christians) is just silly.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 26, 2010

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Gripen5 posted:

The funny thing about the commandments is that they are extremely vague laws and just about the only laws/rules in the entire bible that have no associated punishment or penalty.

"Don't do it... or else!"
"Ok, Dad." :rolleyes:

Hell different sects can't even agree on how they are numbered. Not to mention they are for the most part the same laws that have been the basis of just about every law system since Hammurabi's code. I hate the 10 Commandments. They are underwhelming and useless.

Edit: Sorry if I sound anti-religion or anything. Not really my intention. I just think the glorification of the 10 Commandments (especially by Christians) is just silly.

I read a theologian once, and now I can't recall who or where, that had an interpretation of the 10 commandments that I really liked - he argued that they weren't a list of things that humans Had To Not Do even though we all really wanted to all the time, but instead a list of how to live in order to be content and happy. Basically, that the commandments were a set of instructions on how to avoid discontent and be happy with your life - how to avoid jealousy, and anger, and revenge, and all the stupid crap that contributes to melodrama and people being upset. I really like that interpretation.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

So you're telling me if I don't go around murdering, raping, stealing and lying, I might have an easier time getting along with others?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I HAVE A PLAN
The only way to fix the economy is to get rid of the federal reserve (google the money masters for more info). To do that we need to unite and have ANOTHER DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE!!!!!
Before the Rothschild’s, Shiffs and Warburg’s took control of the US dollar in 1913, the US manufactured more than the next three advanced economies combined (i.e. France, Britain and Germany). Since then, they have been able to stop the US growth by pushing it into a War or a financial crisis every decade. As long as they keep you scared of one buggy man after another, you will give up one right after another and pay your taxes without a murmur.
How do they get away with it?
They first took over control of the media (ref. “Who Rule America” on natall , but don’t join). With the mass media in the hand of Zionist Jews, they went after the whistleblowers. They did this by labeling every independent thinker as conspiracy theorists. Even Ron Paul, the brightest and most patriotic man in congress, cannot speak the truth without FOX calling him a flake to discredit the truth he speaks.
Are you free?
Can anyone in American speak out against his oppressor? NO- They dare not mention the word Jewish bankers
Can the American people think-on-their-own? NO- They fear challenging the media even on scientific issues which has stifled critical thought and has put the US 27 in the world in Math and Science.
So what is the solution? Read The World Order by Eustice Mullins and help Close the Fed. Boycott all Jewish owned media outlets and visit globalresearch dot ca for news
TEACH OTHERS WHY THEY ARE NOT GETTING AHEAD AND ORGANIZE A DATE WHEN ALL AMERICANS:
1. Stop paying taxes
2. Stop making Mortgage payments
3. Stop making Credit Card payments
AND START A PEACEFUL MOVEMENT OF INDEPENDENCE

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

2. Stop making Mortgage payments
3. Stop making Credit Card payments

We already did those ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

dja98 posted:

Thou shalt not kill -- except when it's executing people who couldn't afford a good lawyer, or in yummy wars