Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't like you.

Edit: I should use an emoticon so people know I'm not serious, but I'm too lazy to look one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Trollologist posted:

How does one go about getting involved in the creative side of wrestling (i.e. writing and gimmicks and the like)? Do you apply to work for local indies and work your way up or what?

For about a year I got to work in creative for a small indy fed. The guys running it spent years being ring crew guys and tossing ideas to Scott D'Amore. When BCW went on hiatus they were allowed to "book in the territory" their own promotion and because I was one of the smarter fans/staff guys, I got to be a part of the booking meetings. They were also done at my house a few times.

Of course, when BCW returned I was back to pretty much being nobody, but I still got to experience booking for a wrestling promotion.

For the WWE, their writers are a combination of some of the greatest minds in the wrestling industry and a combination of failed television writers. Everyone fears Vince McMahon. Steve Corino once did a shoot (Can't find the youtube clip) where he was asked to try out as a writer for the WWE and his storylines were trashed because he didn't write every single word for the wrestlers and most of his stories were wrestling based. So yeah, having experience in television is more than just an asset, because as Kendrick and London say in their recent shoot, it's a television show about wrestling, not a wrestling show on television.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Rogue posted:

as Kendrick and London say in their recent shoot, it's a television show about wrestling, not a wrestling show on television.

Firstly, that's sad.

So if I'm hearing this right, it breaks down thusly:

1) Bust your rear end working for indie's and be proud of your work, but make next to nothing.

or

2) Sell out to WWE, do things Vince's way, and hate yourself.

I guess creative is alot like trying to be a worker, but with less running.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Trollologist posted:

Stuff

Considering Vince's way has been recently really good booking, I fail to see the problem.

You could also always start your own company and book it yourself!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I don't like you.

Edit: I should use an emoticon so people know I'm not serious, but I'm too lazy to look one up.

I believe it's either smug or colbert. Probably smugbert.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I don't like you.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I was reading the WCW thread and someone mentioned DDP giving Orton the Diamond Cutter as a finisher.. That got me wondering how often a wrestler gives another a wrestling move to use. I mean, I doubt KENTA gave CM Punk the Go 2 Sleep or AJ gave Michelle McCool the Styles Clash; I always just assumed all wrestling manoeuvres were up for grabs. Is taking them from another wrestler bad etiquette or against the wrasslin code or something? Is there an actual rule or mindset that states you can't just use any move you like?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I mean, I doubt KENTA gave CM Punk the Go 2 Sleep or AJ gave Michelle McCool the Styles Clash; I always just assumed all wrestling manoeuvres were up for grabs. Is taking them from another wrestler bad etiquette or against the wrasslin code or something? Is there an actual rule or mindset that states you can't just use any move you like?

If you're primarily in the same company as someone else, it's poor form to steal their finish or trademark spots (and the promoter probably wouldn't let you anyway).

Punk and the Go 2 Sleep are probably fine; KENTA only shows up to WrestleMania as a fan right now, and Punk has been, as far as I know, completely upfront about the fact that the move is KENTA's and he's using it as an homage.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

tzirean posted:

If you're primarily in the same company as someone else, it's poor form to steal their finish or trademark spots (and the promoter probably wouldn't let you anyway).

To continue from this, it's also retroactive sometimes, for instance in the Joe/Punk shoot for ROH, they mention how when Aries came in (this was some time ago) using a brainbuster as one of his finishers, everybody else stopped using brainbusters (or as little as possible). Nobody had to tell anyone to do it, people just knew not to.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 26, 2010

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
vince "turns" face without reason or explanation all the time. late 03 - 04 he was this ultra heel: bullying a handicapped kid, beating up his own daughter, burying the undertaker alive... then he comes out at wmxx and thanks the fans and then acted like a face in subsequent appearances

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Two of the top five wrestling talents of all time have opinions that mean nothing because their opinion is positive!

I'd go as far as calling them the top two of all time (well in my lifetime/north america at least) but you're still talking about his two best friends. Their status has nothing to do with perception of bias...

evale
Dec 20, 2009
How big is a WrestleMania pay cheque?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

OK here's one. Known as the greatest heel in WWE history, was Million Dollar Man ever a face? I was just a kid around the time he was wrestling and only ever remember him being a bad guy.

EDIT: Also, wikipedia says that the Million Dollar Dream was a cobra clutch. I thought it was just a regular old sleeper hold?

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 26, 2010

Benign
Oct 20, 2008

And I Quote!
How has Sheamus been around so long (well, long enough to be WWE champion) and not have a 100% for sure finisher (the kick to the head or the razor's edge)? Even his signature move, the sideslam backbreaker, doesn't seem to have any significance.

Let alone not having names for them? I don't care if it's accurate, his signature maneuver or finisher being called "a boot to the head" or "vicious power bomb that we might want to call the Celtic Cross but can't because some other guy already uses it" really doesn't seem to potray a sense of awe for what should be devastating attacks.

I really enjoy watching the guy destroy people, and am rooting for him Sunday, but it'll be rough to hear "And Sheamus has defeated Triple H with that thing he does, OH MY".

Has there ever been someone else established without a "set" or "nameless" finisher?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Benign posted:

How has Sheamus been around so long (well, long enough to be WWE champion) and not have a 100% for sure finisher (the kick to the head or the razor's edge)? Even his signature move, the sideslam backbreaker, doesn't seem to have any significance.

Let alone not having names for them? I don't care if it's accurate, his signature maneuver or finisher being called "a boot to the head" or "vicious power bomb that we might want to call the Celtic Cross but can't because some other guy already uses it" really doesn't seem to potray a sense of awe for what should be devastating attacks.

I really enjoy watching the guy destroy people, and am rooting for him Sunday, but it'll be rough to hear "And Sheamus has defeated Triple H with that thing he does, OH MY".

Has there ever been someone else established without a "set" or "nameless" finisher?

Was "Carcinogenic Right Hand" ever made an official name?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Anyone who used a chokeslam?

Benign
Oct 20, 2008

And I Quote!

Pneub posted:

Well, he was already pretty over with the choke slam, which I guess answer my question about people getting over without a named finisher

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Orgophlax posted:

OK here's one. Known as the greatest heel in WWE history, was Million Dollar Man ever a face? I was just a kid around the time he was wrestling and only ever remember him being a bad guy.

EDIT: Also, wikipedia says that the Million Dollar Dream was a cobra clutch. I thought it was just a regular old sleeper hold?

He was a face in UWF.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I don't think chokeslams and DDTs really count as "unnamed". I think he was talking more about stuff like "Undertaker's new submission manuver" or guys like Sheamus that can't decide on a finisher.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Benign posted:

This really bugs me too actually. A lot of signature moves go unnamed for years, but I'm having a hard time thinking about someone as prominent as Sheamus who doesn't even have a proper name for a finisher.

Some of the many "signature" examples include "that patented backbreaker" that Orton does, and "Old School" which went nameless for years until the tail end of the BikerTaker phase.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Moose Bigelow posted:

He was a face in UWF.
I meant as MDM in WWE.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

It seems that the problem with naming finishers depends on the character of the wrestler.

For example, John Morrison's corkscrew neckbreaker went unnamed until he was on an episode of Smackdown one time and Mick Foley on commentary announced, "John told me he likes to call that one the 'Moonlight Drive'". Subsequently, all the commentators knew the name of the move.

Since it's more likely that Sheamus would boot your head off rather than deign to talk to the likes of Michael Cole, his finishers will probably remain unnamed for the time being.

50 Cent Bulletproof
Apr 17, 2007

STRAIGHT EDGE
KAWAII DESU
I thought it was just called the Pump Kick

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

50 Cent Bulletproof posted:

I thought it was just called the Pump Kick

I just noticed Sheamus is a taller, more ginger Steve Blackman

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

evale posted:

How big is a WrestleMania pay cheque?
This isn't definite by any means but I remember hearing that Umaga got close to a quarter of a million dollars for his match with Lashley at WM. That was a high profile match, but that's still a shitload of money for one night. (I can't confirm this is correct, though, but I definitely heard it at one point)

Orgophlax posted:

I guess you mean in his first big WWE run? I don't think he was ever a face then.

And yeah, the Million Dollar Dream is a cobra clutch. It's definitely not a regular sleeper.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was always amused at how the cobra clutch produced completely different effects based on who was applying it. Million Dollar Man's would put people to sleep, while Sgt. Slaughter's would cause the opponent to submit from the pain.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

If Sheamus is too lazy to name his finishers, I am going to start naming them for him.

His signature backbreaker will now be known as the Ginger Snap.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

If Sheamus is too lazy to name his finishers, I am going to start naming them for him.

His signature backbreaker will now be known as the Ginger Snap.

I like it.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Bear with me trying to describe this move. In the N64 WWF games (No Mercy, I think?) there was a move in the CAW that involved the attacker sitting on the turnbuckle with his opponent standing in front of him with his back to him. The attacker would then basically flip over the opponent and perform a diamond cutter/RKO on him (I think it was called the diamond crush or something similar). My question is, does anyone actually use that move? From what I remember it looking like in the game, it doesn't appear to be something one could do safely.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Marcade posted:

Bear with me trying to describe this move. In the N64 WWF games (No Mercy, I think?) there was a move in the CAW that involved the attacker sitting on the turnbuckle with his opponent standing in front of him with his back to him. The attacker would then basically flip over the opponent and perform a diamond cutter/RKO on him (I think it was called the diamond crush or something similar). My question is, does anyone actually use that move? From what I remember it looking like in the game, it doesn't appear to be something one could do safely.

Masato Tanaka used it and it was called the Diamond Dust.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Pneub posted:

No because it's officially called the Knockout Punch and has been since 2008.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

CM Junk posted:

No because it's officially called the Knockout Punch and has been since 2008.

You showed me.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Minidust posted:

I was always amused at how the cobra clutch produced completely different effects based on who was applying it. Million Dollar Man's would put people to sleep, while Sgt. Slaughter's would cause the opponent to submit from the pain.

I was playing WWF Wrestlefest before I saw my first Slaughter match, and was utterly mystified as to why he was using the Million Dollar Dream when I finally did watch one.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Marcade posted:

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Masato Tanaka used it and it was called the Diamond Dust.

Bingo. Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1haV-EAp0s

Orgophlax posted:

Nope, it was a cobra clutch. It's in this video, for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn0N2fMbdIY

also it owns

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Figures it'd be the Japanese that would use it, I swear those guys have spines made of rubber.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

anakha posted:

I was playing WWF Wrestlefest before I saw my first Slaughter match, and was utterly mystified as to why he was using the Million Dollar Dream when I finally did watch one.

:eng101: The "Cobra Clutch" in WWF Wrestlefest the Arcade Game was for some reason not the same as the Million Dollar Dream, in this game it was Slaughter grinding his knuckles against your head -- I think this was one of his signature holds he would do in matches, but AFAIK he never used it for actual finishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAxlUelrsHE#t=3m28s

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dschingis Khan posted:

:eng101: The "Cobra Clutch" in WWF Wrestlefest the Arcade Game was for some reason not the same as the Million Dollar Dream, in this game it was Slaughter grinding his knuckles against your head -- I think this was one of his signature holds he would do in matches, but AFAIK he never used it for actual finishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAxlUelrsHE#t=3m28s

I might be wrong but I think he added a noogie when he turned heel and joined Saddam Hussein for a while.

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
When did Rikishi "do it for the Rock" and what was it he actually did?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Dr. Dirt posted:

When did Rikishi "do it for the Rock" and what was it he actually did?

Survivor Series 1999 and he ran over Stone Cold Steve Austin WITH A CAR.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Marcade posted:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Figures it'd be the Japanese that would use it, I swear those guys have spines made of rubber.

Shark Boy did it as well. They called it the Deep Sea Driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Joshua
Jul 1, 2007
My hypocrisy knows no bounds
Fallen Rib

The Berzerker posted:

Bingo. Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1haV-EAp0s

IIRC, The No Mercy version of that didn't have the runout to the middle of the ring like in this clip, it was just straight over into a Stunner. It was closer to the Buff Blockbuster that Bagwell used for a short time and may have been a holdover from the time the game was licensed for WCW.