Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

penismightier posted:

There's a good number of movies I don't like that others do, and for the most part I can understand the appeal of them - but I legitimately cannot understand how anybody can like Forrest Gump even a little bit. I hate it as much as anything I've ever seen and, except for the soundtrack and the effects, I think it's totally without any sort of merit at all.

I can understand how people might like it, but to me it felt like a condensed documentary of American history from the 1950's to the late 80's with a loose plot sprinkled about it. For that alone I still can't fathom how it beat out Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption for best picture. It's charmingly entertaining, but really more something I'd expect to see made for TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Philip J Fry posted:

I can understand how people might like it, but to me it felt like a condensed documentary of American history from the 1950's to the late 80's with a loose plot sprinkled about it. For that alone I still can't fathom how it beat out Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption for best picture. It's charmingly entertaining, but really more something I'd expect to see made for TV.

Okay, I make get some hate my way for saying this, but I don't understand the love for Tom Hanks. He's been in very popular movies that just about any other actor could have been in and did just as good of a job. It's not that I think he's a bad actor, just EXTREMELY overrated.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Sizzlechest posted:

Okay, I make get some hate my way for saying this, but I don't understand the love for Tom Hanks. He's been in very popular movies that just about any other actor could have been in and did just as good of a job. It's not that I think he's a bad actor, just EXTREMELY overrated.

I agree. He's never really "blown me away" in anything. Maybe Castaway.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Philip J Fry posted:

Maybe it's because of some of the technical stuff it pulled off, like Lt. Dan's amputated limbs or the way they edited in Forrest to a bunch of historical footage, was pretty good for the time. I dunno, the academy really has a terrible track record when it comes to picking out the actual best picture of any given year.

The thing that always kind of bothered me about Gump is that, for a movie that's supposed to be "inspiring" or "uplifting", the message boils down to "life's a crapshoot, god-given skills and sheer luck trump everything else". The two skills that put Forrest on the map, running and ping-pong, came to him completely naturally without a day of practice, nearly every historical act he commits was a complete accident (joining the University of Alabama protest was just him grabbing their dropped books, rescuing his squad during the battle in Vietnam was just him being too naive to realize how dangerous it was, his speech being replaced by silence was from the mic being pulled), and yet he's the hero. Meanwhile Jenny was intelligent and driven but because she was born in an abusive family she was doomed to a life of having sex and doing drugs and being a hippie and not recognizing Forrest, before AIDS made her go "welp, I love you Forrest, you were right all along" and then her sinful ways killed her off.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
That's actually how it works.

penismightier posted:

There's a good number of movies I don't like that others do, and for the most part I can understand the appeal of them - but I legitimately cannot understand how anybody can like Forrest Gump even a little bit. I hate it as much as anything I've ever seen and, except for the soundtrack and the effects, I think it's totally without any sort of merit at all.

It's a really touching flick.

Nuke Goes KABOOM fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 25, 2010

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

the Bunt posted:

I think if you watched a handful of his movies in a row like:

Charlie Wilson's War
Big
Forrest Gump (or Castaway, if you just can't stand Forrest Gump)
Philadelphia
Bachelor Party
Saving Private Ryan

You might really appreciate his range and talent. He's got that everyman appeal of Jimmy Stewart and picks really good roles for himself. He's just really likable and engaging, so most people enjoy watching his movies.

And he's an amazing producer with a good eye for talent.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The two skills that put Forrest on the map, running and ping-pong, came to him completely naturally without a day of practice, nearly every historical act he commits was a complete accident.

What made Forrest such a likable character for most of us is that he saw through race, religion, creed, sexuality and could be friends with anyone. He did so many things "by accident" because he saw past (or was unaware of) the politics of any given moment and just helped a girl who dropped her books, or saved a friend from battle, or obeyed the wishes of his dying friend, or tried to help his friend from the various abuses in her life. He was a genuinely good person who did what was right, and he benefited from it.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

...of SCIENCE! posted:

before AIDS made her go "welp, I love you Forrest, you were right all along" and then her sinful ways killed her off.

They made a baby well before that.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Maybe it's because of some of the technical stuff it pulled off, like Lt. Dan's amputated limbs or the way they edited in Forrest to a bunch of historical footage, was pretty good for the time. I dunno, the academy really has a terrible track record when it comes to picking out the actual best picture of any given year.

Oh it totally deserved the technical awards it received (lol @ Speed beating everyone in sound and sound editing), but best picture? I think the academy was just throwing Zemeckis his due bone, because who the gently caress are these Darabont and Tarantino guys?

Gump was pretty good, but not best picture good.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Then please someone validate my existence and agree Forrest Gump is better than Mrs. Doubtfire.

Gyver
Jun 24, 2005

My entire life has been full of wrong choices.
I'm sorry, but no. Some backwoods Alabama, ping ponging, retard will never beat a movie about a cross dressing stalker.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Philip J Fry posted:

Oh it totally deserved the technical awards it received (lol @ Speed beating everyone in sound and sound editing), but best picture? I think the academy was just throwing Zemeckis his due bone, because who the gently caress are these Darabont and Tarantino guys?

Gump was pretty good, but not best picture good.

At the Oscars Tarantino congratulated Zemeckis on making "The best black comedy I've seen in years", to which Zemeckis said "Finally someone got it" so I think he's aware of the somewhat dubious messages the film sends out. And occasionally how overwrought it is.

It's MUCH better than Mrs Doubtfire though, a film who's success mystified me even when I was a kid.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Sizzlechest posted:

I think he is more "loved" as a star than as an actor. He's just very likable. And one of the reasons he started getting props as an actor is because he went from being a comic actor in stuff like Turner & Hooch and Bachelor Party to doing movies like Philadelphia and so he was given extra points for that since no one thought of him as a serious actor before then.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Schweinhund posted:

I think he is more "loved" as a star than as an actor. He's just very likable. And one of the reasons he started getting props as an actor is because he went from being a comic actor in stuff like Turner & Hooch and Bachelor Party to doing movies like Philadelphia and so he was given extra points for that since no one thought of him as a serious actor before then.

Plus, he does stuff like this.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

haveblue posted:

Plus, he does stuff like this.

Also stuff like this.

The man gives 110% on the field.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Forrest Gump is not a great movie, but it's good. At least better than its remake from a few years ago.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

My favourite movies that always played on TBS when I was younger were The 'Burbs and Arachnophobia, so that's how I grew to love Tom Hanks and Jeff Daniels.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 26, 2010

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
"Are you a Red Sox fan?"
"Of course, I'm an American."

Tom Hanks during the 2004 ALCS. Man owns.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Also his twitter avatar is SUPER ACTION TOM HANKS and how can you not love that.

http://twitter.com/tomhanks

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

the Bunt posted:

Castaway and Road to Perdition were his two best

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
So did Lil' Forrest have AIDS?

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
No but he was cursed with ghost sight.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
What's the deal with 35mm prints? Are they owned by the studio or something because the only movies I can find for sale online are ones I've never heard of from 40 years ago.

eBay used to have a few, at least...

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The Remote Viewer posted:

What's the deal with 35mm prints? Are they owned by the studio or something because the only movies I can find for sale online are ones I've never heard of from 40 years ago.

35mm prints are pretty drat expensive, and the studios aren't going to make more than they need to is my guess. I could be wrong.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

35mm is really complicated. Technically, an original 35mm of The Wizard of Oz from 1939 would be "property" of Warner Bros. in 2010. It's a lot of complicated copyright law.

Roddy McDowall got into trouble with the FBI (hah) over his massive film collection because it was largely "technically" property of studios. Despite the fact they were given to him legally.

It's definitely illegal for new(er) movies, but there's a gray area for anything older than 15-20 years. A lot of films survive thanks to collector's prints, anyways.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

They're owned by the studios. You can find a few that have slipped through the cracks because their parent company has gone out of business or whatnot.

Ebay is a terrible place to look for them. Until recently you couldn't sell or buy them there. Most collectors of 35mm aren't that computer literate anyways.

And even if you did have your own print, you can't show it at a theater because of copyright.

If you're getting into print collecting, get into 16mm, it's for "home viewing" so you can buy/sell all you want, and there's much more resources out there.

And it's :cool:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

It's MUCH better than Mrs Doubtfire though, a film who's success mystified me even when I was a kid.

Mrs. Doubtfire is the predecessor of the Eddie Murphy fat suit genre.

I just read that they were planning to do a sequel for this within the last few years. It's been put on hold.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The thing that always kind of bothered me about Gump is that, for a movie that's supposed to be "inspiring" or "uplifting", the message boils down to "life's a crapshoot, god-given skills and sheer luck trump everything else".

I think that's why it's popular. It tells truths (life = box of chocolates) in a very sugarcoated way. No pun intended.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 27, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I hate Mrs. Doubtfire with the rage of a million suns.

What the gently caress is so funny about an estranged father stalking his wife and children disguised as an old woman?

Besides the overall premise, there's a whole lot of minor idiocies:

Robin Williams' character post dubs for cartoons. With the exception of CGI features, most American animation would have voices pre-recorded. The only available job at a TV station is apparently moving boxes around, even for an apparently established voice actor. Then they're absolutely stunned when he shows he can act. Apparently, a major local TV channel still uses film prints, as he's hauling around film cans. How does he live in even a lovely apartment in Frisco with a minimum wage job? The mask he uses could not be just "worn" but would take an hour to apply without looking like Leatherface.

By the end, any reasonable judge would issue a restraining order against this guy so he never comes within 50 feet of his wife and children again.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Egbert Souse posted:

By the end, any reasonable judge would issue a restraining order against this guy so he never comes within 50 feet of his wife and children again.

To be fair, the judge DOES rule against him for all the insane poo poo he did.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

NeuroticErotica posted:

And even if you did have your own print, you can't show it at a theater because of copyright.

That depends on the studio and what you're trying to show though. Some studios will let you pay a flat rate royalty fee up front for films and don't even ask where you got the print from. It's weird.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
For anyone who's seen Timecrimes, there was a plot point near the end that I wasn't clear on:

When Hector goes back for the third time (Hector 3), how does the girl from the bicycle show up alive again? Was she just unconscious when he saw her before, or did he manage to change the outcome in some way?

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!

Liberty Valance posted:

For anyone who's seen Timecrimes, there was a plot point near the end that I wasn't clear on:

When Hector goes back for the third time (Hector 3), how does the girl from the bicycle show up alive again? Was she just unconscious when he saw her before, or did he manage to change the outcome in some way?

Timecrimes query

Are you talking about when hector 3 finds her in the forest? She was never dead in the forest, Hector 1 sees her breathing just before his arm gets poked. Hector 2 accidentally knocked her out when she tried to escape and then carried her to the log and removed her clothing in order to draw Hector 1 in so he could stab him in the arm. When Hector 1 runs away and Hector 2 follows, the girl grabs her clothes and runs away. She bumps into Hector 3 in the forest and lets out a scream, which draws Hector 2 back to the clearing. Hector 3 knows he never found himself so they chill there for a bit until they head off to Hector's house. Man I love this movie.

space-man fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 28, 2010

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

space-man posted:

Timecrimes query

Are you talking about when hector 3 finds her in the forest? She was never dead in the forest, Hector 1 sees her breathing just before his arm gets poked. Hector 2 accidentally knocked her out when she tried to escape and then carried her to the log and removed her clothing in order to draw Hector 1 in so he could stab him in the arm. When Hector 1 runs away and Hector 2 follows, the girl grabs her clothes and runs away. She bumps into Hector 3 in the forest and lets out a scream, which draws Hector 2 back to the clearing. Hector 3 knows he never found himself so they chill there for a bit until they head off to Hector's house. Man I love this movie.

Thanks, I figured that that was the case, but I missed that she was breathing when Hectors 1 and 2 found her, so I assumed she was dead until she showed up near the end. I guess she eventually woke up and put her clothes back on. Everything past that makes sense now.

Brolita
Mar 23, 2009
Who directed the commercials in RoboCop? I remember hearing somewhere it was someone like the Coen Brothers or Trey Parker and Matt Stone, but I can't find any info on it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Brolita posted:

Who directed the commercials in RoboCop? I remember hearing somewhere it was someone like the Coen Brothers or Trey Parker and Matt Stone, but I can't find any info on it.

AFAIK, Paul Verhoeven directed them.

And WTF... Trey Parker and Matt Stone? They were still in high school.

Brolita
Mar 23, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

AFAIK, Paul Verhoeven directed them.

And WTF... Trey Parker and Matt Stone? They were still in high school.

Yeah, that's true. I guess I must have misunderstood, or they were talking about a different movie. :confused:

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Are there any good 'serious' film podcasts? (By serious I mean the opposite of something like AICN's previews)

Ytadel
Feb 20, 2006

More Action! More Excitement! More Adventure!

Are there any good 'serious' film podcasts? (By serious I mean the opposite of something like AICN's previews)

If you just mean like a basic movie review/discussion podcast, AV Club's AV Talk is an evenhanded podcast run by intelligent and reasonably knowledgeable people. I also like IFC News Podcast and the Hollywood Saloon.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Filmspotting is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I really, really like The Treatment, with Elvis Mitchell. Mitchell is one of the best interviewers around, and he has a habit of either really creating deep conversations about the film or exposing the director as an idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about. Either way, I really like it. More info here: http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt

The AV Club has started doing theirs as well, which is largely just a review-type discussion of the film. I wish they did spoiler versions where they really discussed the film in-depth, but still, it's interesting to hear them discuss the films and hash out why they liked it. You can browse the recent episodes here. http://www.avclub.com/features/av-talk/