Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

richyp posted:

True story, the reason I only prime black is because about 20 something years ago a can of white primer ruined some models I'd saved up for :(

I really should try it again sometime.

Warhams, fearing change because change is scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Cakefool posted:

Warhams, fearing change because change is scary.

If it ain't broke and all that.

EDIT: Weirdly I still have those models from 20+ years ago, and they're still primed in goopy white poo poo, they're long OOP Eldar Pirates.

richyp fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 26, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Armory white is pretty awesome, but it's really only as awesome as you're willing to convince yourself for the money. Krylon is just as good when you get down to it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I just use GW white and resign myself to semi-decent results. I know there's better primers out there but will be damned if I'm going to test them all out for the amount of white undercoating I do (clue: not a lot)

Saying that, I use halfords black for black undercoating.. if their white is anything like the black then it'll be decent enough for most. I love halfords black spray :3:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
If i had known the perils of GW white primer i never would have started buying High Elves (drat their fabulous attire!).

I'd stick with Dark Elves and just paint everything black!

Is there really no way to stopping every 3rd model you prime to look like the can is spraying watery bird poo poo all over it?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

dpack_1 posted:

Is there really no way to stopping every 3rd model you prime to look like the can is spraying watery bird poo poo all over it?

Shake your can, man. Often. Such is the way of spray painting. Pretty much live with that.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

and when Fix says shake your can, he means really really loving shake your can, also 'roll' it so the ball inside rolls around the outside of the bottom of the can... if that makes sense :(

Also I find that when it comes out watery, just letting it dry and putting another thin coat on top later on helps a lot, you're not likely to get a decent coat in one spray like you can with black.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Hope I didn't gently caress up this model:

Finished drybrushing the bases, and cleaned up the bases:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you're doing a lot of spraying it might be worth your while getting a bowl of warm room temprature water to put the can in while you swap models etc. As you spray it gets cold and that can affect the paint.

enri posted:

I just use GW white and resign myself to semi-decent results. I know there's better primers out there but will be damned if I'm going to test them all out for the amount of white undercoating I do (clue: not a lot)

Saying that, I use halfords black for black undercoating.. if their white is anything like the black then it'll be decent enough for most. I love halfords black spray :3:

Halford matt black is the primer of kings. Their white primer is actually pretty good as well, just so long as you shake it forever and the stars are in alignment.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

That Halfords primer is really dicey poo poo in my experience. Sprayed on two occasions with the same can of grey, equivalent weather conditions, same level of shaking/swirling. First occasion, test spray on five sacrificial snap-fit gaunts, absolutely fine. Second occasion, spraying Space Hulk Genestealers, a bunch of horrific powdery knob cheese.

(They still stink of dettol)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Ive never used halfords (sounds like UK only thing)but with any primer, I almost always test it on a piece of cardboard, usually the side of the box that hte models are sitting on.

If it doesnt run a bit, its too "dry" and is probably going to end up powdery as heck :\

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Yea, Halfords is a British shop that caters for car bits and pieces.. can't think of a US equivalent but basically any time you need to pick up something generic for your car, like bulbs / oil / wipers / etc. you'd head down there 9 times out of 10.

Can't comment on their grey sprays but I've used the black for about 2 years now and never had a single complaint in all weathers, indoors and out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The only real problem I've had with the black is that it sometimes dries blue-grey rather than black. Apparently this is because the drying conditions were off, bringing the models indoors to dry seems to prevent it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

PaintVagrant posted:

Ive never used halfords (sounds like UK only thing)

I think the closest US equivalent is Autozone, although most of the "super" wal-marts pretty much stock the same stuff as Halfords anyway.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I've been painting my Tomb Kings with a white spray but that's just to make painting the bone less tedious.

I'm just starting a Bretonnian army and whilst all of my previous armies have always used conversion and modelling for personalisation and self fulfilment, this time I'm going all out. I'm going to be using mostly stock models with a few minor alterations here and there, I'm really hoping to push the boat out on improving as a painter during this project.

I think Brets are the perfect army to go with, and its going to be the first time I've actively avoided using black spray for reasons other than tedium reduction.

I'm pretty excited. :woop:

edit: Don't trust GW white primer at all, I'm going to have to find some UK alternative I'm happy with before I get underway, so this thread is helping.

edit2: someone remind me of that website some goon recommended for buying magnets in the UK. Going to line my movement trays and magnetise the bases.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 26, 2010

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Fyrbrand posted:

Duplicolor was weird as hell the first time I used it- really runny and thin. It was actually pooling in crevices almost like a wash. I tried it again a couple weeks ago and it was fantastic. Perfect coverage, no fuzziness, nothing. Same can and everything. It was pretty cold for South Florida the first time, so if you use it maybe avoid colder temps? I'm sold on the stuff for sure now.

Before I spray, I put my cans of primer in a warm-water bath first to bring the temperature up, as apparently the paint goes on better when warmer. I have noticed a definite difference in the results.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Pro tip: keep primer indoors and warm, and you can prime outside even when it's cold. Just don't let the can get cold.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

Pro tip: keep primer indoors and warm, and you can prime outside even when it's cold. Just don't let the can get cold.

This is true, Ive primed in sub-freezing weather before, just brought the can in and outside quickly

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Some day I will learn the secret of non-fuzzy priming. It seems like 1/4 of my models end up with a fuzzy primer coat -- usually with white primer. I don't know if I'm spraying too close, too far away, it's too wet or cold out, can isn't warm enough or what. I'd guess that if the coat is going on fuzzy it would be because the paint is picking up moisture or partially drying before it hits the surface?

Some day. Some day.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I too had that problem just one too many times which is why I switched to gesso. Maybe I'm just too impatient for regular spray primer.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Robot posted:

Some day I will learn the secret of non-fuzzy priming. It seems like 1/4 of my models end up with a fuzzy primer coat -- usually with white primer. I don't know if I'm spraying too close, too far away, it's too wet or cold out, can isn't warm enough or what. I'd guess that if the coat is going on fuzzy it would be because the paint is picking up moisture or partially drying before it hits the surface?

Some day. Some day.

What finally cured this for me (thanks PV) was him yelling at me to be very careful to hold the can vertical at all times. I forget the reasons, but even turning it sideways can screw up the flow or whatever.

Re: temps, at some point long ago I had read that the can should be the same temp as the ambient air, so yeah once I figured that out that helped too, at least for black spray primer.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Wait really you aren't suppose to tilt it? Oh oops, usually I was standing over the model and tilting about 15-20 degrees down.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Buying a pistol grip for your spray cans helps a lot with keeping it steady and straight. It's also far less fatiguing and you don't get primer or sealant on your fingers.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The trick to not turning the can is to stick your models to a boxtop or whatever and hold them at eye level and spray them that way, so you minimize spraying down.

Also, to add to the mysticism of priming properly, I realized recently that there is a proper "sound" to priming.

Youll notice as you spray that the sound can get sort of statacco and poppy, which means that there is more propellant coming out than paint and thats not good, so as soon as you hear that sound change, stop spraying, straighten the can out, take a couple of quick sprays, then start again.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Saddest Robot posted:

Some day. Some day.

I have found that moisture is a real hindrance to good priming. If you spray outside, don't do it on a damp or rainy day (if you have a sheltered area like a porch).

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I just obtained a slightly used iwata hp-bcs airbrush and iwata smart-jet IS-850 compressor. I'm trying to learn to airbrush, but I can't seem to get the paint mix right. Some people say 50/50 windex and paint, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Any tips for basecoating?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Phyresis posted:

I just obtained a slightly used iwata hp-bcs airbrush and iwata smart-jet IS-850 compressor. I'm trying to learn to airbrush, but I can't seem to get the paint mix right. Some people say 50/50 windex and paint, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Any tips for basecoating?

I've heard that rubbing alcohol works really well for thinning acrylic paints as it atomizes far better than just water. I'm not really sure, though, as most of my work has been involving inks for weathering and the like.

Here's the kit that I bought:

http://www.testors.com/product/136949/50654/_/Ultimate_Airbrush_Set_with_Compressor

Though I paid about $140 CDN shipped. This set isn't hard to find cheap.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fearless posted:

I've heard that rubbing alcohol works really well for thinning acrylic paints as it atomizes far better than just water. I'm not really sure, though, as most of my work has been involving inks for weathering and the like.

I've heard of people using cheap vodka to achieve a quicker drying time.

Airbrush + Skol + Gesso = Awesome?

This should be tested.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Have been starting to throw paint at my papercraft warhound:

Got fed up with detailing, called it a day and started painting it since I couldn't oath it. I just want it done at this point. Most metal areas are done, but I'm at a complete loss on how to paint the rest of it.

Thought about Warp Runners, since all my Epic Titans were painted as such. I'm not too fond of flame patterns on this scale though and will probably go for a simpler two-tone scheme. I've read Titanicus, and the main legion seems to use red and brass, which sounds a bit too khorne for my taste. Best ideas so far are dark blue carapace/leg armor with pale yellow head/legs, or mainly red with black stripes. Alternatively some sort of city camo pattern on the carapace, with everything else a dark blue.

Opinions or ideas on other color schemes? I'm all ears.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You could pull off red and brass if you added some black-and-white checker patterns. Even more so if it was a deep dark red instead of bright blood red. But yeah, city camo sounds cool. Goodness knows it'd need all the help it could get with hiding.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.

Miles O'Brian posted:

edit2: someone remind me of that website some goon recommended for buying magnets in the UK. Going to line my movement trays and magnetise the bases.

That was me, I bought 100 magnets for £10 and they arrived in 29 hours from http://e-magnetsuk.com/

As for a primer recommendation, I prime everything in Army Painter White. £6 a can and perfect smooth coverage in 1-2 coats.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

That was me, I bought 100 magnets for £10 and they arrived in 29 hours from http://e-magnetsuk.com/

Heh, there is only one size of Neodymium disc magnets out of stock, and its the pack of 100 3mm x 2mm. Ie, the one I wanted. :gonk:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

If it ain't broke and all that.

EDIT: Weirdly I still have those models from 20+ years ago, and they're still primed in goopy white poo poo, they're long OOP Eldar Pirates.

I just bought some white primer, lets break the 20 year cycle of poopy paint.

Anyone got basing recommendations for some Empire dudes painted in Nordland colours (half blue and yellow)? (lol twigs and purple cones)

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

richyp posted:

Anyone got basing recommendations for some Empire dudes painted in Nordland colours (half blue and yellow)? (lol twigs and purple cones)

Fall Foliage would probably look nice.

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

:( X = :dong:

richyp posted:

Something like this, it would take a while but the end product should be pretty good.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Threw something together in photoshop to test paint schemes, because I don't want to change my mind halfway through painting it. Opinions or other suggestions?

I kinda prefer the red/black or blue/yellow

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Spacefrog posted:

Something like this, it would take a while but the end product should be pretty good.

This is awesome.

EDIT: :siren:Miles O'Brian, I have the ruins you are looking for. You don't have PM-ability, so feel free to send me an e-mail at Sole.Sushi at Yahoo.com if you would like to work out a deal of some kind, preferably one that allows me to keep my hand.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 27, 2010

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

R.S. Gumby posted:

Got fed up with detailing, called it a day and started painting it since I couldn't oath it. I just want it done at this point. Most metal areas are done, but I'm at a complete loss on how to paint the rest of it.

Thought about Warp Runners, since all my Epic Titans were painted as such. I'm not too fond of flame patterns on this scale though and will probably go for a simpler two-tone scheme. I've read Titanicus, and the main legion seems to use red and brass, which sounds a bit too khorne for my taste. Best ideas so far are dark blue carapace/leg armor with pale yellow head/legs, or mainly red with black stripes. Alternatively some sort of city camo pattern on the carapace, with everything else a dark blue.

Opinions or ideas on other color schemes? I'm all ears.

I went for the WW2 RN battleship colour scheme of two shades of grey, a blue grey and black and am so far very happy with it. In fact, I think it's time to get back to painting that thing. I think when it comes time to paint the Imperial Knight that I built, I'll do something closer to the classic Epic look with bright colours and heraldry.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 27, 2010

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

This is awesome.

EDIT: :siren:Miles O'Brian, I have the ruins you are looking for. You don't have PM-ability, so feel free to send me an e-mail at [sic] if you would like to work out a deal of some kind, preferably one that allows me to keep my hand.

Shot you an email. Every time I try to buy platinum it says 404 invalid account. :tinfoil:

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This is my monthly "washes own, best thing GW's put out in years" post, qtiyd

• Locked thread