Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Hobnob posted:

The "Adventure" series by Willard Price. Amazon Adventure, Safari Adventure, Volcano Adventure, there was a whole lot of 'em, and I remember reading most of them as a kid.

Wow that was quick, thanks! It's really great to see this quote right at the top of the article:

quote:

My aim in writing the Adventure series for young people was to lead them to read by making reading exciting and full of adventure. At the same time I want to inspire an interest in wild animals and their behavior.
That's pretty much the exact effect these books had on me as a kid. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
A novel I read sometime in the early or mid 1990s. It's set in Persia and Arabia in the time and style of Arabian Nights. There is is a young girl with a stutter. After being assulted by her teacher she runs away. Over time she has lots of adventures, and meet people with incredible/supernatural backstories. There was a woman posing as a man made kalif and using her position to execute all her ex-lovers who wronged her in some way. There was a woman who time travelled to modern day America and met and married a black muslim who wanted to go back in time with her. I think a harp made of stone that could only be played under specific circumstances played an important part of the story.

This was not a children's book by the way.

The author's name was something in the way of Sally Sue, Danny Dan, something like that. A name that almost repeated itself.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...
There is a book I read as a child that was a paperback adventure story. I think it was similar to Hardy Boys or something like that, but I do not believe it was Hardy Boys. It was about two kids who were either brothers or best friends, and I believe they find a treasure map that leads to a small island in a lake. Once they are on this island, they find a canoe or kayak or something completely buried there, which either is a clue or proof that the map is accurate. I know this is horribly vague, I remember the cover having a treasure map and I think crocodiles and maybe a wildcat or some sort on it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

PonchtheJedi posted:

There is a book I read as a child that was a paperback adventure story. I think it was similar to Hardy Boys or something like that, but I do not believe it was Hardy Boys. It was about two kids who were either brothers or best friends, and I believe they find a treasure map that leads to a small island in a lake. Once they are on this island, they find a canoe or kayak or something completely buried there, which either is a clue or proof that the map is accurate. I know this is horribly vague, I remember the cover having a treasure map and I think crocodiles and maybe a wildcat or some sort on it.

Dammit, I had that book. Or rather, my dad did at my age and when I visited the grandparents, that and some others were given to me. Can even see the bindings, kind of a rusty red crosshatched pattern. Damned if I can remember the name of the series though, and searching various combinations of "hardy boys clone competitor knockoff" didn't turn up anything useful.

mt1
Mar 5, 2007
Two books to remember:

I read this book around 1995-1997, dont remember the authors name. I remember it winning some kind of silver medal award. Book was about a teenage kid and a few of his friends going to live at his older brothers apartment. They get into money trouble, and get jobs. A friend of the older brother hangs out with them, and eats their food/gets into trouble, and bails them out in the end. I remember a part where the older friend wins some wrestling contest and eats hot dogs.

The other book was a sci-fi book set in the future on the moon. I read it around 1997-1998. The cover of the book was a moon bootprint with blood on it I think. There was some war going on with the Earth colony and the Union moon base, soldiers invaded the base. Perspective jumped around from the main character to soldiers to others. The only part I remember clearly was the main character being in a virtual classroom and minimizing it to play a videogame or something.

Thanks.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I had read a book a few years ago (maybe 10 years at the most), where these doctors had figured out how to bring someone back to life from their bones. Basically they can do something that makes the memories of whoever's bone it is (I guess genetic memory?)

Long story short, they end up working with an old fisherman, and inject him with the memories of st peter.

It was a pretty good read, but I can't recall the name of it. I am 99% sure it was a paperback though.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

mt1 posted:

The other book was a sci-fi book set in the future on the moon. I read it around 1997-1998. The cover of the book was a moon bootprint with blood on it I think. There was some war going on with the Earth colony and the Union moon base, soldiers invaded the base. Perspective jumped around from the main character to soldiers to others. The only part I remember clearly was the main character being in a virtual classroom and minimizing it to play a videogame or something.

Thanks.

I'd guess Lunar Descent by Alan Steele although there's long history in scifi of moon bases revolting from the control of earth governments &/or corporations ie. Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

mt1
Mar 5, 2007

branedotorg posted:

I'd guess Lunar Descent by Alan Steele although there's long history in scifi of moon bases revolting from the control of earth governments &/or corporations ie. Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

I'm sure theres tons of books about it, but it isnt either one of those you mentioned. Thanks for trying though.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Rebel Moon by Bruce Bethke? That's from 1996 and I've never read it, but its colonists v. UN, and in the end redacted cause it's actually right

e: Mother fucker it is! Amazon link

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Synnr posted:

-Towards the end of the book (approx. last third), characters are flying around in silvered spheres and battling it out. They are (perhaps unintentionally) traveling through time during combat. Possibly as a side effect of the battle. This time travel is part of what the spheres can do, but the characters are not intentionally doing this.

-The characters are most likely primitive humans, or primitive humanoids.

-It is either earth or a very earth-like planet.

-He read this either in middle school or high school, drawn from the school library. So perhaps classified as a childrens/young adults book. It was not brand new, but likely in the 90s. In the last 20 years perhaps. At least before 2002.

Any help on this particular book would be fabulous, as it seems to be eating him up.
It's a long shot but maybe your brother was reading one of the books from the Julian May's Saga of the Pliocene Exile. Did some of the characters have psychic powers or wear torcs that granted them powers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Pliocene_Exile

Miss March
Aug 29, 2007

We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over.
Please help me remember this book! It's a YA novel, published around 2000 or so. It has a purple and orange cover with fancy script.

The plot is a little like Labyrinth with David Bowie. There's a teenage girl who is transported to a magical land - which is nothing but desert. She's standing there wondering what to do when she's suddenly accosted by a moving hotel, speeding across the desert. She goes inside and meets the proprietor, who's a friendly old man. They chat for a while and he gives her a key. He says she can summon the hotel at any time.

She leaves, and travels across the desert to see the fearsome Kingfish, who is ostensibly half-man, half-fish. It turns out, though, that his tail is just animatronic, but it still drat near kills her. She summons the hotel at the last minute, the kingfish is revealed to be a corrupt businessman from the real world (like the Wizard of Oz), and she returns home. There might be a baby brother in this somewhere.

Possible titles: By the Light of the Blue Moon Hotel (this might be a chapter in Van Gogh Cafe, though), The Desert Moon Hotel, something like that. I'm almost sure Hotel is in the title.

mt1
Mar 5, 2007

Dead Alice posted:

Rebel Moon by Bruce Bethke? That's from 1996 and I've never read it, but its colonists v. UN, and in the end redacted cause it's actually right

e: Mother fucker it is! Amazon link

haha awesome, great find. thanks!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I had read a book a few years ago (maybe 10 years at the most), where these doctors had figured out how to bring someone back to life from their bones. Basically they can do something that makes the memories of whoever's bone it is (I guess genetic memory?)

Long story short, they end up working with an old fisherman, and inject him with the memories of st peter.

It was a pretty good read, but I can't recall the name of it. I am 99% sure it was a paperback though.

Finally figured out the name of the book. It's Saint by Mark Bailey.

Good read :)

MelonWheels
May 24, 2004
The ending of Max Payne 2 made me cry.
I read this short story in high school, but I can't quite remember all of it. It was English satire, it had this princess (I think) wanting to be a maid and only saying yes in a bunch of European languages (to demonstrate fluency), and some British guy becoming "the proper English gentleman" by going into his liquor and getting sloshed. I think the point was to parody Victorian England fairy tales? I'm not quite sure when it was written, but I have the impression it's a somewhat well-known story.

I'd be grateful for any help, because I'd love to read it again!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
There was a book, I'm pretty sure recommended somewhere on SA a while back, that had to do with the interstate highway system in the US. I can't remember if it's non-fiction, or alternate history, or whatever, but the effect the highways had on American society was central to it. I never read it, but it sounded interesting as hell and I never wrote the name/author down.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Lacey posted:

It's a long shot but maybe your brother was reading one of the books from the Julian May's Saga of the Pliocene Exile. Did some of the characters have psychic powers or wear torcs that granted them powers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Pliocene_Exile

Thanks for trying, but he is pretty sure it was just humans in the story. I do recall this series and think I have the second book in storage somewhere. His vague descriptions of this story is really annoying, I can't use it to google much.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
I've got 2 short stories that I've been trying to remember the names of for quiet a while now.

1. Scientists identify the gene or something that makes alligators (or maybe crocodiles) lethargic. When they remove the gene, the crocs/gators grow into dragons and start hunting humans. In the end, the animals drive the humans underground.

2. Scientists dig deep into the earth where they find a race of small, humanoid people that can move through the layers of rock without digging holes. In the end, the rock people abduct a scientist leaving one scientist left to tell the tale.

These stories may have been in the same compilation and I think it was published in the late 60s-70s.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

my1999gsr posted:

I've got 2 short stories that I've been trying to remember the names of for quiet a while now.

1. Scientists identify the gene or something that makes alligators (or maybe crocodiles) lethargic. When they remove the gene, the crocs/gators grow into dragons and start hunting humans. In the end, the animals drive the humans underground.

'Day of the Dragon', Guy Endore.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

my1999gsr posted:

2. Scientists dig deep into the earth where they find a race of small, humanoid people that can move through the layers of rock without digging holes. In the end, the rock people abduct a scientist leaving one scientist left to tell the tale.

Probably 'The Microscopic Giants', Paul Ernst

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks so much fritz! As soon as I read the titles I knew you had them both right. Thanks for giving me back a little of my childhood.

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~

PonchtheJedi posted:

Danger in Quicksand Swamp, classic :)

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Okay, pretty sure I haven't seen this one around yet.

Science fiction novel, probably aimed at younger kids. I read it somewhere in the mid 90s. It had that elementary/middle school adventure feel to it.

Main character is a young girl (I think. Could have been a boy.). She has some sort of rainbow-colored pet or alien or toy thing. It was important, I think. She's on a ship that's in-transit, might have been alone (I don't remember any mention of parents). The only other things I really remember are duct-crawling and hyperspace maps that need to be held in a glass case, because hyperspace-sensitive people get overwhelmed with emotion when exposed to them.

I can't remember anything else that I'm completely certain was in the book. I dreamed about it for a while afterward, and I think some of it melded with movies I'd watched around then, or even other books.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Andrevian posted:

Okay, pretty sure I haven't seen this one around yet.

Science fiction novel, probably aimed at younger kids. I read it somewhere in the mid 90s. It had that elementary/middle school adventure feel to it.

Main character is a young girl (I think. Could have been a boy.). She has some sort of rainbow-colored pet or alien or toy thing. It was important, I think. She's on a ship that's in-transit, might have been alone (I don't remember any mention of parents). The only other things I really remember are duct-crawling and hyperspace maps that need to be held in a glass case, because hyperspace-sensitive people get overwhelmed with emotion when exposed to them.

I can't remember anything else that I'm completely certain was in the book. I dreamed about it for a while afterward, and I think some of it melded with movies I'd watched around then, or even other books.

Was it stand alone? It sounds like the last story in a sort of collection of stories I read from the 70s. Do you recall how it ended?

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
I think it was stand-alone, but there might have been other stories in there with it. I can't recall clearly, but I think the protagonist girl and the guy she had been following were on the bridge, and she opened the shutters, and it made him freak out and cry, and then security got him.

That probably isn't the way it happened, though. It might have had something to do with the little rainbow-pet thing too. I just remember the bridge and the shutters opening as concrete. Everything else is just a wild guess.

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

I'm trying to remember a series of English Childrens books I read as a kid in the early 90's (93-94 thereabouts, though the books are older than that), about a magical street and the characters that lived there. Each book was about a different character, but the one i remember most was about a group of kids that found a sort of green hairy Kangaroo monster in their garden. Used to terrify me for some reason.
Anyway, I think it was griff or gruff something...

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or did I imagine it?

Astroduck fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 31, 2010

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Astroduck posted:

I'm trying to remember a series of English Childrens books I read as a kid in the early 90's (93-94 thereabouts, though the books are older than that), about a magical street and the characters that lived there. Each book was about a different character, but the one i remember most was about a group of kids that found a sort of green hairy Kangaroo monster in their garden. Used to terrify me for some reason.
Anyway, I think it was griff or gruff something...

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or did I imagine it?

That last part sounds like Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Children_and_It

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

Elohssa Gib posted:

That last part sounds like Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Children_and_It

It's not this. I remembered yesterday it was actually the "Puddle Lane" series of books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puddle_Lane). The weird Kangaroo monster is called the Griffle and still freaks me out a bit to this day.

Thanks for trying though!

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

I just played a little flash game here:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/racter/i-can-hold-my-breath-forever

In the comments below the game, one user posted the following:

quote:

I read a story like this, and one of the characters went as far down as he can so. In the bottom he sees a squid like monster, like in this game, and that squid was trying to get on the surface. I believe that could be the story.

Kongregate doesn't provide an obvious method to contact this person. Does anyone know what this story might be?

Flaming Condor
Aug 22, 2008

rawr rawr rawr rawr rawr rawr
My boyfriend saw a book in Barnes and Noble a while ago that we haven't been able to find since. Here's what I know about it:

It was translated into English from Japanese, probably within the last couple of years.

I think it was a children's or YA novel, but not positive.

I believe it was about some kids who go through a haunted house and end up in a fantasy world.

The cover was very colorful.

Incredibly vague, I know, but I'd be so grateful if you guys can help me figure it out!

edit: Yep, it's Brave Story. Thanks Action Jacktion!

Flaming Condor fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 7, 2010

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Flaming Condor posted:

My boyfriend saw a book in Barnes and Noble a while ago that we haven't been able to find since. Here's what I know about it:

It was translated into English from Japanese, probably within the last couple of years.

I think it was a children's or YA novel, but not positive.

I believe it was about some kids who go through a haunted house and end up in a fantasy world.

The cover was very colorful.

Incredibly vague, I know, but I'd be so grateful if you guys can help me figure it out!
Brave Story.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
I once owned an unofficial behind the scenes book about star wars. It was only about the first star wars movie, "A New Hope" but it was very revealing. I loaned it to someone and never got it back and now can't find it on amazon or anywhere on the internet. It had a blue cover with stars on it if I remember correctly. Thanks!

Garenas
Sep 12, 2006

Nice Joystick
Ah, this is perfect. I read a short story online a while ago with the same basic idea being explored as The Scorpion House. It involved the story of an aging man who had a clone who's body he would place his brain in in order to prolong his life and 'start fresh.' I believe the title was "The Extra" or something along those lines, but I can't find a trace of it anywhere. Anyone know, or possibly have a link to it? I know I read it online...

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, this has been bothering me for years.

Way back when I was in high school (1988-1991) I remember reading a sci-fi book but the problem is that I don't remember very much about the book except small parts of the hero and I don't even know if I am remembering it correctly. If I remember correctly, the hero (some sort of space soldier/adventurer) had two limbs that were replaced. I want to say that he was missing an arm and a leg and that the leg was replaced by essentially a giant chicken leg.

I know it isn't much to go on and like I said I may be remembering it entirely wrong. Now obviously this isn't some great masterpiece, but I think there was a small series of books that revolved around this hero. I also believe it might be qualified as a 'teen' book.

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."

TMMadman posted:

Ok, this has been bothering me for years.

Way back when I was in high school (1988-1991) I remember reading a sci-fi book but the problem is that I don't remember very much about the book except small parts of the hero and I don't even know if I am remembering it correctly. If I remember correctly, the hero (some sort of space soldier/adventurer) had two limbs that were replaced. I want to say that he was missing an arm and a leg and that the leg was replaced by essentially a giant chicken leg.

I know it isn't much to go on and like I said I may be remembering it entirely wrong. Now obviously this isn't some great masterpiece, but I think there was a small series of books that revolved around this hero. I also believe it might be qualified as a 'teen' book.

haha i finally get to answer one.

Is it "Bill The Galactic hero"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill,_the_Galactic_Hero

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RandomEffects posted:

haha i finally get to answer one.

Is it "Bill The Galactic hero"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill,_the_Galactic_Hero

Oh God, thank you.

That is definitely it. I don't know where I got the chicken leg thing from unless it happens in one of the later books. Like I said, I don't remember it much at all, I just remember the hosed up hero.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Garenas posted:

Ah, this is perfect. I read a short story online a while ago with the same basic idea being explored as The Scorpion House. It involved the story of an aging man who had a clone who's body he would place his brain in in order to prolong his life and 'start fresh.' I believe the title was "The Extra" or something along those lines, but I can't find a trace of it anywhere. Anyone know, or possibly have a link to it? I know I read it online...

http://eidolon.net/?story=The%20Extra

Garenas
Sep 12, 2006

Nice Joystick
Thanks a ton! That's the exact link I was looking for.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
This is a series of books, I believe it takes place in an apocalyptic near-future. It started (iirc) in a little town in northern Minnesota, where the enemy things haven't got to yet and the main character was eventually recruited to a scouting division called the Wolves..

The 2nd book he got in to a espionage/assassination division called the Cats.. and I think the 3rd one he went to the Bears which was the heavy infantry dudes. (never got to read that one)

Oh, I remember the enemies had these almost-impenetrable/bullet proof cloaks they would wear..

I've been trying to find it again for awhile and I can not recall the title at all and my searching on google and amazon have been fruitless. I know not alot to go on and my recollection is hazy but this is bugging me because I never got to read the 3rd book

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Danith posted:

This is a series of books, I believe it takes place in an apocalyptic near-future. It started (iirc) in a little town in northern Minnesota, where the enemy things haven't got to yet and the main character was eventually recruited to a scouting division called the Wolves..

The 2nd book he got in to a espionage/assassination division called the Cats.. and I think the 3rd one he went to the Bears which was the heavy infantry dudes. (never got to read that one)

Oh, I remember the enemies had these almost-impenetrable/bullet proof cloaks they would wear..

I've been trying to find it again for awhile and I can not recall the title at all and my searching on google and amazon have been fruitless. I know not alot to go on and my recollection is hazy but this is bugging me because I never got to read the 3rd book

That is E.E. Knight's Vampire Earth series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Yeah it is, there's a lot more than 3 of those books though.