Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe they could cripple a WRX motor with weaker internals and put on a smaller turbo and call it an Impreza Turbo or something. The price gap isn't insurmountable, so I dunno if they necessarily need to do that model speciation.

I guess that would work. Maybe if they used the existing EJ253 from the NA models and bolt on a cheap low pressure turbo. That would probably net you a safe 200 hp. Do the NA engines still explode when you turbocharge them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
I'd like to see a new NA engine. I have more fun tooling around in my 04 2.5rs than I did in the 05 wrx. When you don't need to drive it full tilt to get a smile is fun.

With all the nicer cars I can afford now, I'm still sticking with my car. I promised myself it'll see 250k.

Barn Owl fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 23, 2010

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Can I get your guys thoughts on something? I put my new summer wheels on this weekend and.. they rub a little? But only under braking and turning to the right (left seems to be okay), and just for a fraction of a second. I can't see any evidence on the tire itself, but I haven't taken the wheel off yet to check.

From what I'd read about a Spec B, I would have thought a 225/40R18 tire on an 18x7.5" +45 offset would have been fine (stock was 215/45R18 on 18x7" wheel, +55 offset), but.. it's definitely rubbing a little. I looked and really couldn't see any evidence on any of the suspension/steering, so my hope is that it's hitting the wheelwell liner or the very end of my fiberglass lip but I don't know, I was pretty bummed out when I heard it.

Given the lack of fitment issues with the tiresize/wheels size on a Spec B, is it most likely something non-critical? Maybe the offset wasn't enough? I followed a very comprehensive wheel offset guide on the legacygt.com forums, and supposedly I could have run a 235/40R18 without any issues.

edit: car is 2007 LGT Spec B, stock everything suspension-wise.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

8ender posted:

I guess that would work. Maybe if they used the existing EJ253 from the NA models and bolt on a cheap low pressure turbo. That would probably net you a safe 200 hp. Do the NA engines still explode when you turbocharge them?

Don't know if you'd see people rushing to pay that much extra for ~10% power. They could maybe shoehorn in a 2.5i Limited into the lineup. It seems one area in which Subaru hasn't pushed the N/A EJ25 is on the compression ratio, they're still usable right now on midrange gas. Bring the CR up a bit for a touch of extra power and spec the cars for Premium Unleaded?

Or just introduce the Impreza 3.6R

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Barn Owl posted:

I'd like to see a new NA engine. I have more fun tooling around in my 04 2.5rs than I did in the 05 wrx. When you don't need to drive it full tilt to get a smile is fun.

With all the nicer cars I can afford now, I'm still sticking with my car. I promised myself it'll see 250k.
Yeah, a nice higher power NA would be great.
Turbos in July at thill aren't fun.

Cuntpunch posted:

Or just introduce the Impreza 3.6R
because subarus need more understeer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bull3964 posted:

Looks like the interior finally has a few more bells and whistles too.

That's about loving time.

As much as the addition to suspension upgrades the GF needs badly, we really dont need all that poo poo. The fact a WRX is a stripped out barely disguised was the whole point. At least Subaru keep to option for the gently caress That poo poo, I just wanna drive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cat Terrist posted:

As much as the addition to suspension upgrades the GF needs badly, we really dont need all that poo poo. The fact a WRX is a stripped out barely disguised was the whole point. At least Subaru keep to option for the gently caress That poo poo, I just wanna drive.

If the car wants to compete in the $25-$30k range, yes it does need that poo poo since even $13k Fiestas get something as elaborate as sync.

Also, I'm buying the car for a daily driver, not a stripped out rally machine. Bluetooth is the very minimum I should expect in 2010. In all reality, the SoCs in the head unit probably would support bluetooth anyways, it's not really an add.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
The STI needs a bump to at least 360-400hp to stay competitive. And stay reliable, so forged pistons, get a BETTER loving STOCK TUNE, and fix the oil pickup problems.

I would ideally like 380+hp, DI, and unicorns, and I would love it if they went to a turbocharged boxer 6.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Attempting to sell my Bugeye at the moment. I'm at the point where I don't want to put any more money into it. I need something non-turbo and non-problematic while I go through the home buying procedure. I came across this as a replacement. They are asking a little too much, so I will talk them down.

http://www.millersubaru.net/used/Subaru/2003-Subaru-Legacy-5649a7907f00000100be9fc1de083ae2.htm

Thoughts? Anyone own one? I have a 1993 Legacy L Wagon @ 155k that is on DD status. It has performed very well so far. Anything I should watch out for with the sedans?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Yes, the head gaskets WILL go.

Spider Crusoe
Jan 30, 2005

How difficult is it to change the parking light bulb on the drivers side of a 2007 Impreza? I'm trying to reach the socket and twist it out, but the windhshield washer tank gets in the way of my hands. Will I need to start removing things to get at it?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

nm posted:

Dunlops will be better in the rain but running auto-x tires (Re-11s, z1 star specs, Kuhmo XS, Ad08/07) is expensive. If you're not auto-xing or doing track days, they're kind of a waste.

I run HTR ZIIIs as daily tires, and Z1s and Re-01Rs (I have a set of both) as track/autox tires. They're all great, but if a daily drive the Z1s I'll only get like 7k out of them. I'll get 30k out of the HTRs.

The HTR weakness owner is rain. They aren't awful, but they aren't great.

I can safely say that I have driven my Z1 Star Specs for 2 years now (during the summer months about 6-7 months of driving a year) and have accumulated about 14k miles on them with at least this last summer season left in them. If you are getting 7k out of them daily driving I don't know what to tell you, but thats just silly.

This includes half a season of autox on them as well. Maybe I'm just easy on tires, but I got nearly 20k out of my stock RE070s, and am looking to get at least 20k out of these Direzzas.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 28, 2010

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I miss my Legacy, as I got rearended last thursday. Low speed (30mph or so) and thankfully it was a small car, so it only messed up the rear bumper and bent the driver-side exhaust all outta whack. Unfortunately, the call I got said there was *probably* a little frame damage, so they were going to try to get that straightened out.

My rental Chevy Impala is pretty.. bland. It's not bad, better than my prior rental (bottom of the line Buick Lucerne) but I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon.

Joey joejoejr182
Jun 6, 2007

Danger Zone!
I've got a Subaru audio question, and would be grateful if anyone could answer it for me.

Ive got an 09 WRX with the base stereo, and I am fed up with it. I want to blow some of my tax refund on some aftermarket stuff, probably just a new HU and speakers, but I really want to keep using the stock aux jack in the center console. The boner at Car Toys said that if I got a new HU, there would be no way to hook up the factory aux input to it. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I really like where the current aux is located, and don't want to have to run a cable out of my glove compartment or anything.

Any help is appreciated.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zsbaug24 posted:

I can safely say that I have driven my Z1 Star Specs for 2 years now (during the summer months about 6-7 months of driving a year) and have accumulated about 14k miles on them with at least this last summer season left in them. If you are getting 7k out of them daily driving I don't know what to tell you, but thats just silly.
That includes half-3/4 of a season of AX.
You driving a legacy or WRX? WRX is going to be easier on tires. Star Specs have soft-rear end sidewalls that don't help shoulder life.

TurboLuvah posted:

:wtc: 5qts/1000mi is NORMAL? According to who?

Yeah, that should say 0.5qts.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Joey joejoejr182 posted:

I've got a Subaru audio question, and would be grateful if anyone could answer it for me.

Ive got an 09 WRX with the base stereo, and I am fed up with it. I want to blow some of my tax refund on some aftermarket stuff, probably just a new HU and speakers, but I really want to keep using the stock aux jack in the center console. The boner at Car Toys said that if I got a new HU, there would be no way to hook up the factory aux input to it. Can anyone confirm/deny this? I really like where the current aux is located, and don't want to have to run a cable out of my glove compartment or anything.

Any help is appreciated.

Does the aux plug plug in as a separate plug in the back of the stereo, or is it part of the main harness? If it's anything like my 07 it is a separate plug, so you could rig something together with some spade connectors and some soldering.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

nm posted:

That includes half-3/4 of a season of AX.
You driving a legacy or WRX? WRX is going to be easier on tires. Star Specs have soft-rear end sidewalls that don't help shoulder life.

I have an STI. And I never felt like the sidewalls were particularly soft. I've never had them roll on me even when I was autoxing. I dunno, perhaps I'm just extra easy on my tires. I think the major problem I find with subarus and tire life is the stock alignment. The 0 camber on the fronts will burn them up faster than anything. I had serious issues with the tire life until I had some negative camber put on the front.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 30, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zsbaug24 posted:

I have an STI. And I never felt like the sidewalls were particularly soft. I've never had them roll on me even when I was autoxing. I dunno, perhaps I'm just extra easy on my tires. I think the major problem I find with subarus and tire life is the stock alignment. The 0 camber on the fronts will burn them up faster than anything. I had serious issues with the tire life until I had some negative camber put on the front.

I ran my car with decent negative camber up front and got plenty of rollover at 40 psi at the track:

Did you guys who were getting good wear rotating very frequently, and benefiting from opposite wear front to back or side to side?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That might be more due to body roll and the camber curve than the tire. We like a lot of swaybar and a lot of camber to keep the front tires flat. Our street tire GD sti has 450/500lb springs, 27mm swaybars, and over 3 degrees of front camber.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

3 degrees of front camber.
I'm a -1.2 nd that's all I can get.
I should have bought camber plates but now I'm too lazy.

I run 48 psi up front in AX and get more rollover than I'd like, but if I go higher traction is killed.
With RE-01Rs I'm at the low 40s depending on conditions, so it is more than just driving style (though I make no secret of driving like an rear end)

nm fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 30, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I just took a grinder to the lower holes in my struts for an easy -2.5. Tire wear is pretty even.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I'm with nm on the camber adjustments. About -1.2 is about as much I could get without camber plates. I never ran my tires that high when I autoxed. I always got the best times with about 38.5 in the front and 36 in the rear's maintained as they heated up.

For sure Kimbo thats some roll, but I havent used these tires on a track so thats a completely different animal for me. I rotate my tires front to back about every 7k miles. Which is about how I know that these tires are done cause its their third rotation. I would love to full rotate them inside to out, but thats pricier than I care to bother with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I've never seen that kind of of rollover on the WRX and it's just simply set to as much camber as can be got standard.

I also prefer a soft setup and drive differently. I bury the nose into the ground before turning in and left foot brake

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50094/waxing-analytical-2011-impreza-wrx-sti-sedan-set-for-new-york-debut

Sedan or hatch? I'm hoping sedan again finally

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

"this article posted:

"That bumper sticker that maybe you'll see on the next Subaru driving by -- an Obama bumper sticker -- you should stop the driver and say, 'So how is that hopey, changey thing working out for ya?'" Palin said, poking at two words closely tied to Mr. Obama's 2008 presidential campaign, "hope" and "change."

She did clarify her remark so as to not offend Subaru owners: "I shouldn't be disrespectful; I don't have anything against Subarus."

In unrelated news, I ordered a set of the new Stoptech Street Performance pads. Supposed to be better than the HPSs and cheaper to boot. I'll post impressions when I get them on.

Also, this (click):

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

Bud Manstrong posted:

Hope and Change! Hope and Change!

skeetio
Apr 6, 2005

Don't go in there..

Joey joejoejr182 posted:

Any help is appreciated.

This thread has some pretty good information about the harnesses and what not, particularly post #10. It would seem to indicate that you should be able to tap into that aux port and splice yourself in some RCA connectors or something.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp, looks like I'm in the market for a new DD suddenly. And I want to join in on the AWD fun. My family used to own an AWD Colt station wagon and I've wanted an AWD wagon for freaking ever. So now I'm hunting down impreza hatchbacks on craigslist in the 7k us range. I think I have the info about the 2.2/2.5 engines down, but is there anything specific one should know about the 1.8 engines? Good? Bad? Head Gaskets?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You probably know this already, but not all of that generation of Impreza is AWD; some (LX and GL trims) were offered with FWD as an option until 1997.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Barn Owl posted:

Hope and Change! Hope and Change!

YES WE CAN

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Considering the fact that the sti limited is new this year, I really wouldn't get my hopes up too much for massive changes. At most I bet they just announce a sedan version of the current model.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well here's some unsubstantiated rumor:
http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1689615&postcount=78

Subie_sleeper@TriStateTuners.com posted:

I just got off the phone with my regional rep from Subaru.

2011 WRX STI info!

Stiffer spring rates and sways front & rear. A further upgrade from the STI Special Edition that was just released.

Sedan, Limited Sedan AND 5 Doors will all be available.

All STIs get the front lip spoiler standard & the STI Sedans get a bigger rear wing.

All WRXs and STIs have bluetooth connectivity standard.

BBS wheels will be POLISHED only, no more gold

As far as the HP goes, he doesn't know yet, HIS guess is 330 - 350 crank.

flu1d
Oct 6, 2003
Regarding the star specs: I autox on them and just after several events one of the fronts started to chunk near the sidewall. Just unmount and rotate, then put on the rear. This is really common with the star specs to chunk :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
:phone: Hello, Subaru. How may I help you?
:phoneb: I want a new WRX STI sedan, but keep making the 5-door too.
:phone: Certainly, sir. And what else would you like?
:phoneb: Why don't you jack up the rear spring rate to a ridiculous amount?
:phone: We can increase that bitch 53% for you, sir.
:phoneb: While you're at it, can you make the rear of the sedan not look like a Kia?

http://jalopnik.com/5507212/2011-subaru-wrx-sti-four-doors-of-homologated-fury

Too bad the wagon didn't get much of an update, and there's no power bump.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lowered and even stiffer spring rates. Doesn't that mean more work for rally guys who're doing production class to set the cars back appropriately for rally?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm glad to see that they improved the rear end of the sedan. I still don't think I would buy one though since I want the utility of a hatch for my next car.

Good thing they still offer both.

Here's the question though, aren't they basically just making the STI the "special edition" model then?

Does anyone know what color that is? It's drat sharp and not something they currently offer right? Hopefully it's not a one of.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 1, 2010

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Seat Safety Switch posted:

:phone: We can increase that bitch 53% for you, sir.
Where'd you find that number? I've been looking for info on what the exact suspension improvements are (didn't see it in the jalopnik or autoblog coverage)

e: oh it's in the press release

quote:

The Subaru WRX STI was already a highly optimized performance machine. Specific chassis tuning. Aluminum front lower L-arms reduce unsprung vehicle weight. Major chassis tuning changes include a lowered ride height and new pillow-ball bushings in front and stiffer bushings for the rear subframe that supports the double-wishbone suspension – these improve camber and toe stiffness.

Both the front and rear suspension systems employ higher-rate springs and thicker front and rear stabilizer bars than the 2010 model: 21 mm vs. 20 mm in front and 19 mm vs. 18 mm in rear. Spring rates have increased by 15.6 percent in front and 53 percent in the rear.

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 1, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I guess the color is blue ridge pearl. I wonder if it will be an STI exclusive or something all imprezas can get.

I was going to get a liquid gray one to go with my WRB WRX, but I like the blue ridge pearl in those pics much more.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hog Obituary posted:

Where'd you find that number? I've been looking for info on what the exact suspension improvements are (didn't see it in the jalopnik or autoblog coverage)
Some guy on a local Subaru forum said it. I think it might be wrong, but the car is basically 18% stiffer than the 2010 STI SE, and that's already stiffer than the regular model by some substantial amount, but I couldn't find numbers.

There is always the possibility he pulled it completely out of his rear end and I've done a disservice to the internet by propagating it.

edit: There we go!

quote:

Major changes to suspension tuning for the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI include a lowered ride height and new pillow-ball bushings in front and stiffer bushings for the rear subframe that supports the double-wishbone suspension — these improve camber and toe stiffness. Both the front and rear suspension systems employ higher-rate springs and thicker front and rear stabilizer bars than the 2010 model: 21mm vs. 20mm in front and 19mm vs. 18mm in the rear. (The 2010 WRX STI Special Edition already had the thicker rear stabilizer.) Spring rates have increased by 15.6 percent in front and 53 percent in the rear. (The rear spring rate for the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI is 18 percent over the already-higher-rate rear springs introduced in the 2010 WRX STI Special Edition.)
From InsideLine.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
It's obvious from the changes to the WRX and STi that they've been responding to online enthusiast chatter and competitors' moves in how they've let the model lines evolve. Their initial intent with the 2008 Impreza lineup was obviously to move it upmarket in size and comfort, but when that tanked the WRX and competitors' cars walked all over it, they made changes quickly, and it seems like the enthusiast community has responded positively to the last two model years' worth of changes. Ditto with the revised STi.

Okay, so why in the hell haven't they applied the same philosophy to the Legacy? Sure, the Outback is and will always be a sales leader, but the new Legacy landed with a resounding thud. SOA said they wanted to make it more mainstream, so they cribbed styling elements from all over the place and made it bigger and cushier to compete with the usual family hauler suspects. What happens? Granted, Motor Trend isn't exactly the apex of journalistic excellence, but it just got creamed in a MT family sedan comparison test. Subaru's always going to be Subaru, and trying to be Toyota or Honda really bit them in the rear end with this Legacy. Take a cue from the WRX and STi, make some changes already. This Legacy is U-G-L-Y - it ain't got no alibi - and all it'd take is some minor changes from SOA to streamline it a bit. The USDM car looks significantly different from the car the rest of the world gets, and while it still isn't a looker like the BL, everyone else's Legacy is significantly better looking than our lumpen, bloated mess. SOA has proven they can take criticism, adapt and make it work, now put it to use in the Legacy.

.... :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
For sale:

2007 WRX OBP stage 2, inquire within :D

I'll be panning for a new hatch i hope.