Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Installed new EBC rotor, realized it wasn't compatible with the g/f's Motomaster setup, swore, installed old caliper, went out for a ride.

It just so happened that part of the road in the national forest we went to has a water crossing, which was loads of fun...we (she) walked it first, and then rode on through.

It was a shitload of fun. Tomorrow the schedule is to go run up some singletrack that's usually used by bicyclists but they open it to motos occasionally to smooth things out after the cows tear up the trails, and then hopefully sunday is explore more national park :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

Installed new EBC rotor, realized it wasn't compatible with the g/f's Motomaster setup, swore, installed old caliper, went out for a ride.

How incompatible is it? Curious because the MM stuff seems like good quality and looking at what brands to invest in

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

How incompatible is it? Curious because the MM stuff seems like good quality and looking at what brands to invest in

It's only incompatible because I'm a bit of a tard and figured that one 320mm rotor would have the same swept area as the next. Wrong. Gotta use the motomaster stuff with motomaster stuff. But the EBC stuff came with a relocater bracket, so it worked out in the end. I love the motomaster stuff besides that, though, super easy to change pads, much easier to install than the stock one on an oversized rotor. Plus it's super bling.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

It's only incompatible because I'm a bit of a tard and figured that one 320mm rotor would have the same swept area as the next. Wrong. Gotta use the motomaster stuff with motomaster stuff. But the EBC stuff came with a relocater bracket, so it worked out in the end. I love the motomaster stuff besides that, though, super easy to change pads, much easier to install than the stock one on an oversized rotor. Plus it's super bling.

So really you were just looking for an excuse to put the MM stuff on your bike.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
So an EBC rotor, with a Ducati Brembo 40mm with a relocator won't have any issues I hope. Modding fever! Jsut gotta wait for the bike to get fixed first before I blow a wad of cash on the braking system that doesn't really need to be modded :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

laymil posted:

So really you were just looking for an excuse to put the MM stuff on your bike.

Already on to my tricks. :(

Today I rode the poo poo out of the bike, about 50 miles of singletrack on trails that are usually mountain bike only, but they open for motorcyclists every so often. I'm beat but super happy that I started improving a bit. Rode with a former Baja 500 winner too, which was pretty awesome.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 28, 2010

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Rode it! No more oil leaks, hurrah! Also ordered new Pilot Road 2's because, well.. Just look at my old ones ;)

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Placed an order for a brake lisght switch for the KTM front brake. Bike came with on the rear brake but who uses those to do stoppies :v:

Also waiting for new stubby sumo front fender to come in, along with waiting for a new valve adjusting locking nut to arrive at the dealer so I can drop it off there and get my rookie valve clearancing mistakes fixed :sigh:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It was cold and windy and wet today so I decided to give a try at installing my new sliders.

The saw ended up grabbing somehow and snapped part of the fairing off :(

What's worse is I can't figure out which replacement part is the correct one from the microfiche/parts list since they list them with a type # instead of color information. The number on the part isn't relevant either :(

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

MY FURSONA IS SQUISHFACED
I changed the air-filter on my newly purchased 1983 honda Shadow, the sissy 500cc version, and tried to figured out why my throttle won't snap back. :iiam:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The push cable leading from the throttle to the carbs might have worked itself loose.

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

AncientTV posted:

The push cable leading from the throttle to the carbs might have worked itself loose.

I'll check this out tomorrow when there's daylight again. Thanks for the tip.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
On my KLR 650 today I Replaced Spark Plug- old one had a pretty worn down electrode, but everything seemed the proper color.

Did "22cent Mod" Drilled out the Needle Vacuum hole, shimmed the needle and adjusted the air/fuel screw. This improves throttle response and mid range power a bit, my butt dyno confirms it.

Apparently one of the little rubber fuel tank hockey pucks is missing too, so in true KLR style i made a new one with an old rim strip and some electrical tape. :effort:

I noticed that there seems to be a little oil coming out of one of the bolts on the top-end. I've never had to put in oil between changes, so I just cleaned it up and will check to see how fast it accumulates. Is this something I should worry about?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Armacham posted:

i made a new one with an old rim strip and some electrical tape. :effort:

oil coming out of one of the bolts on the top-end. I've never had to put in oil between changes,

I should worry about?

Worry about it until you're sure there isn't a reason to worry about it?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Had an interesting weekend. My old CBR stranded me the previous weekend, so I took the day off on Friday to have three solid days to work on it. Friday was spent re-wiring the lovely job on the R/R and fixing the front brake light switch. Saturday, I replaced the starter solenoid (because the stock one melted somehow) and troubleshot the ignition system. Everything checked out, but still no spark. gently caress. It had to be the CDI, which is expensive to get from a dealer. Bought it for $50 on eBay and drove down to pick it up on Sunday. Sunday evening, replaced CDI, bike fires up, I rode around at night with no front fairing or headlights in celebration.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

I noticed that there seems to be a little oil coming out of one of the bolts on the top-end. I've never had to put in oil between changes, so I just cleaned it up and will check to see how fast it accumulates. Is this something I should worry about?

What type of bolt is it coming out of? Valve cover bolt?

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Rode it for the first time :haw: Also first ride of the season!

drat I'm rusty as hell, so going slow and really focusing through the corners is going to be the order of the day for the coming couple of months. So awesome!

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Mathturbator posted:

drat I'm rusty as hell, so going slow and really focusing through the corners

I went through this about a month ago and am just now starting to really find the groove in a good corner again! Accelerated hard out of a great turn line last weekend and my smile nearly cracked my helmet.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

OdinAllfather posted:

I changed the air-filter on my newly purchased 1983 honda Shadow, the sissy 500cc version, and tried to figured out why my throttle won't snap back. :iiam:

Check the cable from carb to throttle to make sure it's not taking any drastic bends or turns. Sometimes the wrong angle can keep the cable from moving correctly. Also, if you've installed new handlebars, check to see if the area on the handlebar isn't preventing the throttle handle from snapping back correctly. I bought new clubman bars for my bike and when installing the throttle handle, it just stopped snapping. After banging my head against the wall for a couple hours trying to figure out why, I deduced that the paint on the bar was too thick and it was preventing my cable from snapping back. A little sandpaper later, and everytime I let go of the throttle handle, I heard that sweet "thunk" noise and the snapping worked great.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Just been riding it. It's nice to cruise through those little gaps in traffic that I otherwise wouldn't be able to go through in a car. No matter how bad traffic gets I can keep my commute to around and hour and fifteen minutes on the bike, where as it can take up to two hours in the car some days.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Just been riding it. It's nice to cruise through those little gaps in traffic that I otherwise wouldn't be able to go through in a car. No matter how bad traffic gets I can keep my commute to around and hour and fifteen minutes on the bike, where as it can take up to two hours in the car some days.

Wow. From where to where?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ari.gato posted:

Wow. From where to where?

Sylacauga, AL to Birmingham, AL. It's about 50 miles one way on the busiest stretch of road in the state. The traffic from all of the outlying suburbs of Birmingham is pretty much all condensed onto one road for the last ~15 miles of it. To give you an example, the first 35 miles takes me about an half hour to do, the last 15 miles take about 45 minutes to an hour. If there is an accident anywhere on that road you're hosed. Most days it takes an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half.

Birmingham needs a competent traffic engineer like woah.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Birmingham needs a competent traffic engineer lane splitting legalized like woah.

Seriously, there's no way I could live with that. I had a 20 minute commute when I lived in south SB, it took me an hour if I took a car in. It was miserable.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Seriously, there's no way I could live with that. I had a 20 minute commute when I lived in south SB, it took me an hour if I took a car in. It was miserable.

Yeah, lane splitting would be nice. I guess I should feel lucky that we have a population of car drivers that generally know how to act around motorcycles on the road because so many rednecks ride their Harleys around here.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Z3n posted:

What type of bolt is it coming out of? Valve cover bolt?

yeah one of Number 92001 on the Cylinder head cover here: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-kawasaki-motorcycle-klr650-kl650a6f-us/o/m9796

Its a very minor looking seep, and like I said, I've never had to add oil between changes

I snugged it down while I was in there. Looking at the parts diagram, there's an O ring there that I may look at replacing the next time I go digging around, or whenever I get around to checking my valves

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Wired up my V1 and threw a concealed display in the fairing. Hopefully it's bright enough to see during the day :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

yeah one of Number 92001 on the Cylinder head cover here: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-kawasaki-motorcycle-klr650-kl650a6f-us/o/m9796

Its a very minor looking seep, and like I said, I've never had to add oil between changes

I snugged it down while I was in there. Looking at the parts diagram, there's an O ring there that I may look at replacing the next time I go digging around, or whenever I get around to checking my valves

Oh yeah, that's no big deal...a thin layer of RTV around the outside on the bottom of the washer can sometimes help as a hold over (read, I'm too lazy/poor to fix it right), depending on where it's leaking from.

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

As per the nice suggestions, today I checked out my throttle cables for drastic bends, sprayed some lube under the throttle grip, and checked where they attach to the carbs. Unfortunately, the throttle is still sticking.
My friendly neighborhood goon and I will try taking off and cleaning the carbs on Sunday, then enjoy a ham and scotch together. :hampants: Hopefully that'll fix the issue. Or at least make us care less.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey sup I aired my tires today.

Back one read 20 psi and the front read 0.

I've aired up the front one twice and its gotten to like 22 psi. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can't get to "42 cold"

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Rode to OdinAllfathers place and gapped spark plugs in his bike. Missing out on the ham and carb cleaning though. First real ride through the city, and my low speed skills (or lack of really) sort of worried my riding buddy, but nothing bad happened.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey sup I aired my tires today.

Back one read 20 psi and the front read 0.

I've aired up the front one twice and its gotten to like 22 psi. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can't get to "42 cold"

Try 33/36. And get another pressure gauge. And if it's the dial type, don't drop it.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Put on a new Acerbis front fender. Also waiting for the part I fudged up last week while adjusting the valves to arrive at the dealer.

Also riding the piss out of the Ducati in the background.

Venom_aut
Dec 26, 2003
All I got for X-Mas was this lousy account
I changed the oil on my Honda Hornet 600 today.

This was the first oil change on a bike for me.
It took 1 3/4 hours including preparation and putting all my stuff back. The drat oil filter was stuck on the engine and impossible to get a grip on. But with the trusty pipe wrench I got it free.

Next jobs to do are:

- getting it through the yearly inspection
- check/replace spark-plugs
- check carbs
- check/replace chain
And the thing I am most afraid of:
- check valve clearance/ adjust valve clearance (gently caress $10 shims and 16 possible valves to adjust)

I bought the bike last September with ~47000km (~29200mi) on the clock with no idea how it was maintained by the PO. But I've put 6000km (3700mi) on the bike in 2 months.
Man, I really should have done all the required maintenance in winter, not now when I want to go out and drive.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I finally wised up and bought earplugs for highway riding today (I've only experienced speeds greater than 60mph for considerable distances a few times now, starting yesterday), and holy poo poo, what a difference.

The same route went from being exhausting and a bit frightening, to drat near relaxing.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Got the bike up on the center stand (first time), lubed the chain (first time), filled the tires (not the first time, but drat they were low) then rode the poo poo out of it for a while. Took it into some areas that I'm less than comfortable with - high traffic roads and city riding. Great fun, and I'm getting so much more comfortable on it.

I had a hard time reaching the chain (it's a GS750L). I could only really get to ~5-6 inches of it, so I had to lube in small sections. The chain guard is attached behind the axle, so I didn't want to remove that. Is there a better way to do it, or do I just have to deal with it? Still only took 10 minutes, so it's not that big of a deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the back end up off the ground via jack, rear stand, centerstand, skyhook, whatever, spin tire with your right hand, hold lube/drip oil with your left.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Jack the back end up off the ground via jack, rear stand, centerstand, skyhook, whatever, spin tire with your right hand, hold lube/drip oil with your left.

Speaking of chain lubing, what's your opinion on the use of teflon spray? It's cheap, doesn't attract dirt, and a can of the stuff goes a long way. I haven't used anything else so far as lube, so I'm not really sure if it's doing it's job.

It's been recommended here, and it specifies 'for use on chains,' so I assume it's gravy.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Z3n posted:

Ah, yea that makes sense. Seems so obvious :hurr:.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

orthod0ks posted:

Ah, yea that makes sense. Seems so obvious :hurr:.

Do it on the top of the bottom run of the chain, so that as the chain spins it flings the oil through the orings, too.

I've always just used gear oil...some propellants can break down rubber. But it's probably fine...I'm just set in my ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Diagnosed a failed stator :(

60V 60V 5V

Hopefully I can pick up some magnet wire over lunch tomorrow and start rewinding tomorrow night!