Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cliff Racer posted:

You should probably read (or reread) start of Darkness as Redcloak's plan differs in a minor, though significant way from how you are portraying it.

Yeah, reading Start of Darkness is, despite Burlew's attempt to make it not required reading to understand what's going on, certainly a good thing to do. Knowing what you're talking about there is certainly not critical to understanding but it sure does change how you look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Cliff Racer posted:

You should probably read (or reread) start of Darkness as Redcloak's plan differs in a minor, though significant way from how you are portraying it.

For those who can't get a copy of Start of Darkness, Redcloak's Plan:

Using the powers of a divine spellcaster (Redcloak) and an arcane spellcaster (Xykon), break open one of the five gates to (temporarily) unleash the Snarl on one of the major pantheons of Gods. Doing so will kill both spellcasters and destroy their souls - no heaven or hell for either. The Dark One (a.k.a. "The God of All Goblins") will take advantage of the attack to bargain his way into getting the Goblin race on the same level as the Elves, Dwarfs, and Humans by (falsely) claiming he has control over the Snarl. If by some chance the Snarl breaks free of the gate entirely, the world will be destroyed, but the Dark One will be able to get in on the ground floor of the creation of a whole new world.

Xykon knows none of this and believes that the two are simply going to use the Snarl to blackmail their way into becoming the rulers of the world. He doesn't know the ritual is designed to kill both of them nor that Redcloak will be the one dictating where the Snarl is released. He's in for a surprise.

The bottom line is that no matter what, Redcloak was hosed the day he put on the cloak and he knows it. He's been given a suicide mission and the best he can hope for at this point is oblivion. The only bright side is that he'll get to take Xykon with him when he goes.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Jesus. I need to get start of darkness.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

JustV posted:

Doing so will kill both spellcasters and destroy their souls - no heaven or hell for either.

Wait, what? Since when? I thought it just didn't give them control over what the snarl did, only where they unleashed it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mystic Mongol posted:

Wait, what? Since when? I thought it just didn't give them control over what the snarl did, only where they unleashed it.

I think the Snarl will kill anyone who releases it instantly.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

JustV posted:

Using the powers of a divine spellcaster (Redcloak) and an arcane spellcaster (Xykon), break open one of the five gates to (temporarily) unleash the Snarl on one of the major pantheons of Gods. Doing so will kill both spellcasters and destroy their souls - no heaven or hell for either. The Dark One (a.k.a. "The God of All Goblins") will take advantage of the attack to bargain his way into getting the Goblin race on the same level as the Elves, Dwarfs, and Humans by (falsely) claiming he has control over the Snarl. If by some chance the Snarl breaks free of the gate entirely, the world will be destroyed, but the Dark One will be able to get in on the ground floor of the creation of a whole new world.

Xykon knows none of this and believes that the two are simply going to use the Snarl to blackmail their way into becoming the rulers of the world. He doesn't know the ritual is designed to kill both of them nor that Redcloak will be the one dictating where the Snarl is released. He's in for a surprise.

The bottom line is that no matter what, Redcloak was hosed the day he put on the cloak and he knows it. He's been given a suicide mission and the best he can hope for at this point is oblivion. The only bright side is that he'll get to take Xykon with him when he goes.

Wouldn't the greatest twist be if Tsutsiko figures out how to do the divine half of the ritual, Xykon kicks Redcloak tothe curb, goes through w/ the ritual and Tsutsiko/Xykon are destroyed.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Rooster posted:

Wouldn't the greatest twist be if Tsutsiko figures out how to do the divine half of the ritual, Xykon kicks Redcloak tothe curb, goes through w/ the ritual and Tsutsiko/Xykon are destroyed.

This is exactly what I thought of after reading that synopsis.

Wait, this is Rich Burlew we're dealing with here. :tinfoil:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Rooster posted:

More likely, she'll figure it out, tell Xykon, he'll get characteristically pissed and go on some sort of anti-goblin rampage out of spite, and I have no clue where it goes from there. Some sort of Redcloak/Stick team up? Who knows.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Shugojin posted:

Some sort of Redcloak/Stick team up? Who knows.

That would be great. He's a very well-developed character on his own and I don't think he'd really have any personal reasons not to work with them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Vicissitude posted:

That would be great. He's a very well-developed character on his own and I don't think he'd really have any personal reasons not to work with them.

The slaughter of hundreds of goblins and hobgoblins?
Redcloak seems like a pretty decent guy, actually, and would probably take huge offense to the death of his people.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Calaveron posted:

The slaughter of hundreds of goblins and hobgoblins?
Redcloak seems like a pretty decent guy, actually, and would probably take huge offense to the death of his people.

Yeah, but he's also fairly pragmatic and would likely side with the guys who've killed hundreds of goblins if it means stopping the deaths of thousands of them.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
What's this? Yet another new strip?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Every panel with O-Chul makes him seem cooler. Such a badass paladin.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Wolfsheim posted:

Every panel with O-Chul makes him seem cooler. Such a badass paladin.

yeah... i actually didn't know how to play a paladin without making him Lawful Stupid as they say on the strip, until i saw O-Chul.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Love the demon roaches. :3:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Monster in the Dark making a Wish?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Shugojin posted:

More likely, she'll figure it out, tell Xykon, he'll get characteristically pissed and go on some sort of anti-goblin rampage out of spite, and I have no clue where it goes from there. Some sort of Redcloak/Stick team up? Who knows.

More likely, she'll figure it out and do both sides herself in a power grab. Duh.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Heh, Xykon doesn't have balls.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

terminal mehmet posted:

More likely, she'll figure it out and do both sides herself in a power grab. Duh.

I really doubt she's anywhere near powerful enough to do that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mylan posted:

I really doubt she's anywhere near powerful enough to do that.

No, but she's dumb enough to try.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I don't get the rain helping him sleep line. I figure it's a reference, but I don't feel like digging up which comic it's from.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Speleothing posted:

I don't get the rain helping him sleep line. I figure it's a reference, but I don't feel like digging up which comic it's from.

:sigh: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0550.html

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Vicissitude posted:

Not to mention the Order is going to be needing a new cleric fairly soon...

(because Durkon is almost guaranteed to die before this 'volume' is up)

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

JustV posted:

Not to mention the Order is going to be needing a new cleric fairly soon...

(because Durkon is almost guaranteed to die before this 'volume' is up)

What makes you think it'll be so soon? I'm expecting him to die closer to the end, since that'll minimize the time he'll be absent from the comic. Unless you think we're in the final volume now.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Mylan posted:

What makes you think it'll be so soon? I'm expecting him to die closer to the end, since that'll minimize the time he'll be absent from the comic. Unless you think we're in the final volume now.

Rich said that Don't Split the Party contains the halfway point of the series. That said, he also mentioned how much he tends to draw things out. If Eichiro Oda is any indication of this mindset, we might be reading OOTS in 2020.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Mylan posted:

I stated it a couple of pages back, but it's worth repeating:

1) Burlew has stated that a main character is going to die this volume. Obvious candidates are Belkar & Durkon. Belkar is prophesied to save Hinjo's life a second time according to one of the bonus strips from Don't Split the Party, but he can't do that until they meet up again, so that leaves Durkon.

2) Until Durkon dies, no other death can be permanent because he has the ability of resurrection. The only good-guy death that could happen is therefore Durkon's. We also know that Durkon won't allow himself to be brought back since in death, he'll get to go home.

3) During On the Origin of PC's, the head priest exiles Durkon because when he returns home doom, death, and destruction will follow. Durkon will also be returning home posthumously. Since the fifth and final gate is in the North, where Durkon is from, all signs point to him dying before the Order reaches the final gate, with Xykon & crew close behind.

Of course, all of this is speculation. #1 could be worked around by having someone else die, #2 by having them killed via the Snarl, & #3 by not having Kragor's gate in the Dwarven homelands.

JustV fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 26, 2010

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

JustV posted:

I stated it a couple of pages back, but it's worth repeating:

1) Burlew has stated that a main character is going to die this volume. Obvious candidates are Belkar & Durkon. Belkar is prophesied to save Hinjo's life a second time according to one of the bonus strips from Don't Split the Party, but he can't do that until they meet up again, so that leaves Durkon.

2) Until Durkon dies, no other death can be permanent because he has the ability of resurrection. The only good-guy death that could happen is therefore Durkon's. We also know that Durkon won't allow himself to be brought back since in death, he'll get to go home.

3) During On the Origin of PC's, the head priest exiles Durkon because when he returns home doom, death, and destruction will follow. Durkon will also be returning home posthumously. Since the fifth and final gate is in the North, where Durkon is from, all signs point to him dying before the Order reaches the final gate, with Xykon & crew close behind.

Of course, all of this is speculation. #1 could be worked around by having someone else die, #2 by having them killed via the Snarl, & #3 by not having Kragor's gate in the Dwarven homelands.

It also explains why Durkon didn't get much screen time in the last chapter, which was entirely devoted to character development. Because this is going to be his chapter once we get past establishing the scene.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cabbit posted:

No, but she's dumb enough to try.

But she's got no reason to betray Xykon. She's a necromancer whose only goal (so far) has been to hang out with dead people.

I think it's more likely that she figures out what this spell-combo does, decides to tell Xykon, and Redcloak is forced to silence/kill her in some way to keep Xykon out of the loop.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
Yet another strip, whoo!

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Trivial Fursuit posted:

Yet another strip, whoo!

Isn't that the paladin who was on Xykon's Teevo earlier?

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
No, that was Elan's old mentor/partner from the origin of PCs book (I haven't read it myself, but was told that)- they'd certainly have recognised each other! I think he was better groomed.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Noonsaliwah posted:

No, that was Elan's old mentor/partner from the origin of PCs book (I haven't read it myself, but was told that)- they'd certainly have recognised each other! I think he was better groomed.

Had to go back and check On the Origin of PCs, you're right. Sir Francois (who also shows up on Teevo) wears armor, that guy's wearing a robe (it's hard to tell since OtOoP is entirely in black & white).

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
The other question is whether we've seen that gnome before? Maybe I'm just racially profiling...

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Okay this one flew right over my head.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

Okay this one flew right over my head.
Party: Boy we sure are reminiscing about stuff.
Elan: And remember that time you found the guys my party is looking for?
Elan: No?
Elan: Oh well next table.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Zereth posted:

Party: Boy we sure are reminiscing about stuff.
Elan: And remember that time you found the guys my party is looking for?
Elan: No?
Elan: Oh well next table.

Thanks. I am retarded.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

crime fighting hog posted:

Thanks. I am retarded.

Eh, I had to go back and check to see what exactly the order was trying to do. The joke isn't funny unless you remember that they are looking for.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Trivial Fursuit posted:

Yet another strip, whoo!

This is how you play a Bard correctly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Werle posted:

The other question is whether we've seen that gnome before? Maybe I'm just racially profiling...

Pretty sure it's the guy Belkar ganks right after the Mark of Justice is removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Calaveron posted:

Pretty sure it's the guy Belkar ganks right after the Mark of Justice is removed.

You racist, the guy Belkar killed had gray hair and a brown shirt. These are clearly two completely different gnomes.

(also, it was before the Mark was removed, but outside city limits - making it OK)