Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Carebear posted:

My cat keeps knocking water glasses over that are on my boyfriend's desk. He refuses to not leave them there, and gets mad at me every single time. :rolleyes: So apparently NOT leaving glasses by his desk isn't an option because he's a stubborn rear end in a top hat. Does anyone have any ideas of some sort of container that could hold a glass and she couldn't knock over?

Oh, and I've tried the cat water fountain thing so she has fresh water, but this does nothing to help.

Look for a heavy wide based mug. We pick them up at thrift stores just for the cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm starting to think I'm the only one in PI who lives/grew up in a house where cats are absolutely not allowed on tables/counters. They always try once and get yelled at for it quick and they never try again. Except our current cat who has come paired with the most perfect manners imaginable and has never attempted it. I don't think I'll ever tolerate it, it's just bizarre to me. :shobon:

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Carebear posted:

My cat keeps knocking water glasses over that are on my boyfriend's desk. He refuses to not leave them there, and gets mad at me every single time. :rolleyes: So apparently NOT leaving glasses by his desk isn't an option because he's a stubborn rear end in a top hat. Does anyone have any ideas of some sort of container that could hold a glass and she couldn't knock over?

Oh, and I've tried the cat water fountain thing so she has fresh water, but this does nothing to help.

One of my cats loves to drink water out of the giant, plastic tumblers I use. And when he's done, he'll deliberately knock them over!

He's a little retarded poo poo, but I still love him.

Also, can't keep cats off my desk. It's the path to the wide window sill that is their favorite spot to lay on.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Tiamat posted:

These friends live in College Station, and claim they only get rain four days or so out of the year. They may be wrong; they only moved there last summer.

Bullshit. It rains plenty in Central Texas - usually between 30 and 40 inches a year. This winter and spring has been downright soggy in Austin. Average for Bryan, Texas is a hair under 40 inches.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Kerfuffle posted:

I'm starting to think I'm the only one in PI who lives/grew up in a house where cats are absolutely not allowed on tables/counters. They always try once and get yelled at for it quick and they never try again. Except our current cat who has come paired with the most perfect manners imaginable and has never attempted it. I don't think I'll ever tolerate it, it's just bizarre to me. :shobon:

Our cats weren't allowed on the counter and we always shooed them off if we saw them up there. My boyfriend seems to think it's cute when the cats get up there but I still take issue with it and make them get down. I prepare food there dude and cats walk through the litter box. :barf:

It doesn't make me really mad though because I figure when we aren't home they get up into all the places they aren't supposed to and have a party anyway, but I don't turn a blind eye to it when I see it happen.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

KilGrey posted:

Our cats weren't allowed on the counter and we always shooed them off if we saw them up there. My boyfriend seems to think it's cute when the cats get up there but I still take issue with it and make them get down. I prepare food there dude and cats walk through the litter box. :barf:

It doesn't make me really mad though because I figure when we aren't home they get up into all the places they aren't supposed to and have a party anyway, but I don't turn a blind eye to it when I see it happen.

Our cats can use the counter as a pathway to the top of the refriderator or the kitchen window. But when they stop and decide to groom themselves on the cutting board, we take great offense. (The cutting board no longer lives on the counter)

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Someone emailed me this picture they found because they thought this dog was so incredibly cute, asking me the breed of the dog. I said I don't know, it doesn't look like a breed I'm familiar with. Maybe a Labrador-poodle mix puppy.

What do you guys think?

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
My first cat was trained to not go on the counter, but not subsequent cats. I really don't mind them being up there. When I tell them to get down they do. Sometimes they DO get in the way, though...

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Costello Jello posted:

Someone emailed me this picture they found because they thought this dog was so incredibly cute, asking me the breed of the dog. I said I don't know, it doesn't look like a breed I'm familiar with. Maybe a Labrador-poodle mix puppy.

What do you guys think?

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Probably, puppies are a little hard to tell though. Tell them to go look in shelters/petfinder, there's hundreds of them in there.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Carebear posted:

My first cat was trained to not go on the counter, but not subsequent cats. I really don't mind them being up there. When I tell them to get down they do. Sometimes they DO get in the way, though...

Yum! Kitty casserole!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
What are some books or resources people would recommend for training older dogs (as in, not puppies, but dogs in the 2+ year old range)?

Researching stuff in preparation for possibly getting a dog and while I think I have a good feel for how to generally interact and basic training ideas (nothing for free, positive re-enforcement training, etc) I feel like there are probably a lot of areas that it would help to have some specific ideas on how to deal with things. Like leash pulling, socialization with people or other animals, or even just constructive ways to discourage bad behavior when it happens.

Mirima
Jun 4, 2007
Magical
I'm moving into a new apartment soon and plan on getting a cat and a dog. I've got a pretty good idea of what breads and temperaments would work for me.

Which animal should I bring home first? Should I get the kitty first, and let him "own" he house before I get the dog, or should I get the dog first? Would bringing them both home at the same time be a bad idea?

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Mirima posted:

I'm moving into a new apartment soon and plan on getting a cat and a dog. I've got a pretty good idea of what breads and temperaments would work for me.

Which animal should I bring home first? Should I get the kitty first, and let him "own" he house before I get the dog, or should I get the dog first? Would bringing them both home at the same time be a bad idea?

I would definitely say cat first. Suddenly going from no pets to two pets would be a pretty big jump, and have the potential of driving you completely bananas, but going from no pets to cat wouldn't be that tough. Also, it'll give you time to plan things out, and make sure to create dog-free zones the cat can escape to if the dog gets too intense. In my experience, planning for a dog is a much longer process, although I grew up with cats, so that makes them pretty automatic for me.

Out of curiosity, which kinds of critters are you looking for?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Mirima posted:

Which animal should I bring home first?

I agree with what ArmadilloConspiracy said about bringing home the cat first, UNLESS they knew one another in their previous home. It's becoming more and more common as the economy gets worse for people to surrender ALL their pets, so you may find that your local shelter has a cat and dog who came in together from the same home. If that's the case, you could bring home both at once, and it would be a great thing to keep two buddies together!

Mirima
Jun 4, 2007
Magical

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Out of curiosity, which kinds of critters are you looking for?

Well, before I moved into the place I currently live, I had a cat and a dog. When I moved, my parents took them because I could not. They live on the east coast, and I live in the midwest, and they really love them, so I don't really want to move the pets all the way out here. I'm looking for older pets, ones that are a little calmer, and a small dog that will get along well with cats.

alucinor, thanks for that point. I'll keep that in mind when I start searching.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Mirima posted:

Well, before I moved into the place I currently live, I had a cat and a dog. When I moved, my parents took them because I could not.

How come? Has this situation changed?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

KilGrey posted:

How come? Has this situation changed?

Sounds like he/she moved to a across the country to a place that possibly didn't allow pets, and is now moving to a place that does allow pets. But his parents are attached to the previous animals at this point

Mirima
Jun 4, 2007
Magical

Levitate posted:

Sounds like he/she moved to a across the country to a place that possibly didn't allow pets, and is now moving to a place that does allow pets. But his parents are attached to the previous animals at this point

(I'm a her) Yeah, that's an accurate account. Sorry if I was unclear.

rawrtards
Jan 13, 2010
Is it okay for me to feed my dogs before I crate them? The situation is that I walk them first thing in the morning, I feed them, I walk them again, and then I put them in their crates. However, sometimes one or both of them will not poop.

I just don't want one of them to have (anymore) bowel issues.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

rawrtards posted:

Is it okay for me to feed my dogs before I crate them? The situation is that I walk them first thing in the morning, I feed them, I walk them again, and then I put them in their crates. However, sometimes one or both of them will not poop.

I just don't want one of them to have (anymore) bowel issues.

This is pretty much exactly what I do as well and it hasn't been a problem for either of my dogs. I try to make sure there is 10-15 minutes between food and the second walk though, which is usually enough time to get their bowels going. It's rare they don't both poop when let out the second time. Kara will sometimes hold it if it's raining though. So maybe increase the time between food and the second walk by a little bit if you are concerned about them not pooping in the morning.

rawrtards
Jan 13, 2010
I generally wait about half an hour. I just didn't want them to end up with a compacted bowl or something awful. I finally just my terrier, Beans, to stop pooping liquid. So, yay, thank you.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
No where else to post this so.. I'm sorry PI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfskeur0Xbs

(New Marmaduke trailer)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

(New Marmaduke trailer)

As a great dane owner, fancier and.. many other things, I think I can sum up all my comments into one emoticon:

:suicide:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

(New Marmaduke trailer)

Well, at least a bunch of stupid girls can't exactly go out and buy them to put in their purses like when Beverly Hill Chihuahua came out. v:shobon:v

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

KilGrey posted:

Well, at least a bunch of stupid girls can't exactly go out and buy them to put in their purses like when Beverly Hill Chihuahua came out. v:shobon:v

Sure they can, once someone develops the teacup Dane!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

KilGrey posted:

We rented Beverly Hills Chihuahua, thinking it might be a fun flick to watch while smashed. Turns out, it's actually quite a sweet little movie with a good message. I was very surprised.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Meow Cadet posted:

We rented Beverly Hills Chihuahua, thinking it might be a fun flick to watch while smashed. Turns out, it's actually quite a sweet little movie with a good message. I was very surprised.

I can confirm this, caught it on TV a while ago and was surprised how not-terrible it was.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

Sure they can, once someone develops the teacup Dane!

They already tried that somewhere. Tiny male chihuahuas held up to impregnate full sized bitch danes. The puppies had the worst internal issues ever. None of them made it past six months.

So they bred the bitch again. I'll ask my breeder mentor if they have the pictures they showed me, still.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Wow, that is one of the stupidest things I think I've ever heard of a breeder doing.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

RazorBunny posted:

Wow, that is one of the stupidest things I think I've ever heard of a backyard breeder doing.

Because let's be honest with ourselves about who would even try something like that.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I just meant breeder as in "someone who breeds dogs."

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't remember where, so sorry to ask again. What recommendations do you guys have for cat harnesses? I was thinking that one of those harness jacket things might be best, but is there a specific brand or style that people are happy with?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

RazorBunny posted:

I just meant breeder as in "someone who breeds dogs."

Oh, I know that. It's just annoying that anyone who throws two opposite sex animals together and lets them have a litter can be considered a breeder. It's like calling someone who does a bit of stirring to make a pot of box kit mac'n'cheez a chef.

look how pretentious pi has made me :(

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I'm going to be moving my two cats from Arizona to Illinois this summer. Any recommendations on how to keep the cats sane and happy? My male cat pissed all over himself when I brought him near my car this week, I don't know how he'll do on an extended trip. Last time I moved he hid behind a toilet for a solid week.

Someone recommended getting kitty downers from the vet before leaving. Does that sound like a good idea? What size carrier should I buy them? Do they need separate carriers or can they share one? How does the litterbox thing work- do I need to get a huge carrier that can contain a whole box?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

dopaMEAN posted:

I'm going to be moving my two cats from Arizona to Illinois this summer. Any recommendations on how to keep the cats sane and happy? My male cat pissed all over himself when I brought him near my car this week, I don't know how he'll do on an extended trip. Last time I moved he hid behind a toilet for a solid week.

Someone recommended getting kitty downers from the vet before leaving. Does that sound like a good idea? What size carrier should I buy them? Do they need separate carriers or can they share one? How does the litterbox thing work- do I need to get a huge carrier that can contain a whole box?

With that length to travel I'm assuming you're going to stop for the night?

The cat drugs might be a good backup if they don't settle for you pretty readily within the first hour in the car. I wouldn't bother with a big carrier with a litterbox, they'll probably be too freaked out to move around much or use it. Line the carriers with an absorbent towel or a small fleece blanket over a pee pad, and have clean spares and plastic bags available in case they end up peeing. If they're used to using a harness or walking jacket, you can take them out of the car at intervals for breaks. Offer water every 4 hours or so, though they may not take you up on it.

Expect some more freakouts at night when you try and settle in a hotel room, but they should calm enough to use the litterbox and eat, then you start again the next morning. As for one carrier or two, I'd go with two but my sister carts hers around in a single and they calm each other down. Just make sure it's big enough for both of them to comfortably lie down.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

No, you aren't. My cats aren't/never will be allowed on the counters or table tops. I don't mind the computer desk so much, but not when there's food/drinks up there.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

hhgtrillian posted:

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't remember where, so sorry to ask again. What recommendations do you guys have for cat harnesses? I was thinking that one of those harness jacket things might be best, but is there a specific brand or style that people are happy with?

This is the brand & style that always gets recommended: http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/walkingjacket.html

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Serella posted:

Oh, I know that. It's just annoying that anyone who throws two opposite sex animals together and lets them have a litter can be considered a breeder. It's like calling someone who does a bit of stirring to make a pot of box kit mac'n'cheez a chef.

look how pretentious pi has made me :(

It's also a term I sometimes use in angry mutterings after one of my friends with kids makes a comment about how I'll "change my mind" about being childless, so hey!

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No, you aren't. My cats aren't/never will be allowed on the counters or table tops. I don't mind the computer desk so much, but not when there's food/drinks up there.

My sister's cat is staying with us during her study aboard in Belgium and is the only cat we've EVER had this problem with. She's just constantly up on the table and counters :barf:, and if you turn your back on her, WHOOP back she goes. We've tried training it out of her but NOTHING we've tried has been a long-term deterrent. We can just the :smug: on her face when we come home, knowing she's been enjoying long lounges on the table without us there to do anything about it. :argh:

Neither of our other two cats ever even attempt to get up on the counters, so we've never had to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

redjenova posted:

My sister's cat is staying with us during her study aboard in Belgium and is the only cat we've EVER had this problem with. She's just constantly up on the table and counters :barf:, and if you turn your back on her, WHOOP back she goes. We've tried training it out of her but NOTHING we've tried has been a long-term deterrent. We can just the :smug: on her face when we come home, knowing she's been enjoying long lounges on the table without us there to do anything about it. :argh:

Neither of our other two cats ever even attempt to get up on the counters, so we've never had to deal with it.

Look into Ssscat.http://www.ssscat.com/en/ You might have to buy 2 or 3 and put them up on her favorite spots, but hopefully it will help for both you are and aren't around. :)

Also it's really funny.