Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got the back windows tinted

Fixed the regulator in the driver door. Don't buy the cheapest part you can find because it's likely from China and does not work properly. I bought a reputable part for not much more than the crap I had in there and now my window works again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Valves were getting a bit noisy so I decided to adjust them. Easy right? 1990 civic d15b1 motor. Every one of them was like way tight so I adjusted the intake to .008 and exhaust to .010. After reassembling everything and snapping off one valve cover stud, it ticks like a loving diesel. I set the pistons to TDC via long rear end screwdriver in the sparkplug hole and rolling it in 5th. (couldnt get cam cover off). Oh well just another oil leak in the works...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Got some neat american racing wheels for $120 on craigslist and put em on. I bought the car used and the alloys had some curb rash and I didnt think these were too bad.

Next job: Fix the bubbling tint on rear window. Used to be a kansas car. :|

edit: and try to push that dent out. any ideas?

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
Pulled my engine because I realised the PO had fitted the wrong clutch pressure plate. :(

Then broke down the release assy to replace linkages and check wear.

Hate pulling engines, always think I'm going to drop it on my arm or something.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Was going to pick up a running/licensed 230c for parts or a project(it has Sockington levels of rust, so parts) but logistically it's a nightmare as I have no room for three cars or a parts car. I could buy it for around $500, have it shipped for $350. Or, insure it and drive it home.

I wish I could buy it, since I want the manual window regulators, manual transmission, manual HVAC controls, rear windshield since mine is fogging(Glass alone costs $600), passenger seat springs(to rebuild the driver's seat as I bought my 300cd from a very fat man), valuable european w123 coupe bumpers. I could replace all of the poo poo that is broken (a few window regulators) or that will break(everything else) on my 300cd in one FURIOUS week of summer wrenching.

I don't know if I would have the heart to part it out, look at the awesome 70's orange. It could be a sawzall vert' then parted when it breaks in half goddamn I am spergin so hard right now

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
- reset the P0172 on the volvo AGAIN
- topped off the Volvo's oil
- failed at replacing the control arms on my BMW (see post in BMW thread goddammit)
- inspected drivetrain guibo and steering guibo, satisfied with both.

overall a lame day. :mad:

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Finally replaced the steering rack in my e30. I bought a remanufactured e36 rack off ebay a few months ago but I've been putting off installing it.

...And man, it was a pain in the rear end to get that rack to work. I'd been told by many e30 guys that the e36 rack swap was fairly easy but I wrestled with it from 9am to 5pm.

Anyway, I feel better now that I don't have parts sitting around waiting to go in my car anymore.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Money Walrus posted:

Can I sell my old cat for scrap?

Yes you can, if you have storage space you can always store it and hope for metal prices to go up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Got some neat american racing wheels for $120 on craigslist and put em on. I bought the car used and the alloys had some curb rash and I didnt think these were too bad.

Next job: Fix the bubbling tint on rear window. Used to be a kansas car. :|

Try a suction cup. I had the below dent, and a suction cup popped it out fine. It isn't as bad as yours, but it was enough to crack the paint. Your paint looks good, it'll probably pop fairly well. Look better, in any case.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

HachiGo posted:

Yes you can, if you have storage space you can always store it and hope for metal prices to go up.

Storage I have plenty of. Sounds like a plan. What did cat prices used to be / are now?

Today I changed out the fuel pump on my 740 to keep up with my 65lb injectors, got about 5 out of 8 of the exhaust studs removed (pretty sure I need to go buy a snap-on stud puller for the rest, or a bigger pair of vice grips and more MAPP gass), and started on putting in the new cam.

Great day to work outside on the car in New Orleans, plus there was street festival today in my neighborhood so I walked over and got a delicious po-boy on my lunch break. Can't beat that for a Saturday.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
-Topped off the coolant in my 92 Accord.
-Checked the oil.
-Cleaned the Idle Air Control Valve.
-Pulled the Fast Idle Control Valve to clean it. Attempted to remove the o-ring so as not to gently caress it up with carb cleaner. Had said o-ring crumble into dust, resulting in a frantic trip to Autozone and a halfassed replacement in the parking lot before work.

And the fucker still runs rough. :( I have a feeling I may be replacing the FICV soon.

To Do List:

-Valve cover gasket. Need to figure out a way to get the valve cover off without loving it up, since whoever pulled it last stuck it back on good. Should probably also check my timing and valve clearances while I'm at it.
-Replace fuel filter.
-Clean intake butterfly valve, probably when I yank the vacuum box to do the fuel filter, since they're in the same vicinity.
-Change distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, preferably after I do the valve cover gasket so I don't leak oil all over the new plugs/wires.
-Repair or replace leaky oil pan gasket.
-Replace motor mounts. There's a high probability I'm gonna do the front two ones (easy) and leave the rear one, since it requires pulling the engine, something I don't have the equipment (or time) to do. I was not happy this morning when I discovered just how hosed they are.
-Replace front left CV joint.
-Replace engine and front left wheel well splash guards.
-New brake discs and pads.
-Fix antenna.
-Repair or replace cracked (not badly) windshield.
-Fix the paint that is worn down to the primer in a lot of places, as well as the faded plastic body trim.
-Pull front seats and clean 20 years of crap out of the rails so they move again.

And by the time I finish all this, I'm sure that either the timing belt, head gasket, or transmission will have taken a poo poo on me. :smithicide:

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
Fixed the VANOS seals on my E46 and replaced the valve cover gaskets. Wow what a PITA job, although the work itself went pretty smoothly.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Finally picked up a public address speaker for my Subaru's CB radio system.

...this is not going to end well

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Replaced the starter with a junkyard starter- $100 and now my truck actually STARTS!

Old one was getting so slow the diesel wouldnt fire, and then started to not work completely!

Then tightened the wheel bearings back up to get rid of some play in the front axle.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Cage posted:

Toilet plunger my friend, just push on and pull.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mighty Horse posted:

Changed the precious life-blood of the infamous A-604 Chrysler 4 Speed Auto.

Having friends with shops that have ATF fluid exchangers and lifts rules...

ATF+3 exchangers, right? You don't want that regular ATF in there loving what's left for time...

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
03 Acura TL-S:

IN the last week i;ve changed timing belt, water pump, AC and PS belts, timing belt tensioner, spark plugs, taken off my mid-muffler, canged out stock resonator for an AERO AR25, and taken off stock mufflers for Magnaflow mufflers

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Sockington posted:

ATF+3 exchangers, right? You don't want that regular ATF in there loving what's left for time...

I'm a Chrysler guy....of course my good friend.

Actually, +4. +3 is drat hard to find anymore anyways.

The New Scum
Mar 29, 2010
changed the spark plugs/ wires in my '85 El Camino. Got a two inch gash from old ones' removal.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I charged the battery from my brother's Integra so I can figure out if I need to put another alternator in it. I am pretty sure it does indeed need a new alternator and I dread putting it on. Not a fun job at all. This car has a belt for the AC, a belt for the alternator, and a third belt for the alternator. Guess which belt is the closest one to the block?

I took a wheel off my wife's car and put the full size spare on so that I can take the wheel/tire to the tire shop to have a slow leak repaired.

I put the summer wheels on my 1995 Lexus SC400. I lowered the jack too fast so I had to listen to the suspension clunk all the way to my brother's house since the spring didn't go into the top part of the coilover sleeve the way it was supposed to. I got that fixed once I got to my brother's house.

I went to my brother's house to try to unstick the driver's side drum that was frozen up. Two good whacks with the hammer and it came loose. I also picked up my shop vac so all my dirty car carpets can be vacuumed out.

I dropped off my wife's wheel/tire and another one from my brother's fiancee's car at the tire shop.

All this was before 9 AM this morning, which is pretty good for deliberate old me.

My wife's wheel turned out to have a small hole and was very slightly bent (but still usable). The other wheel was cracked on the inside and is good for scrap.

No matter, I found a replacement wheel for $50 shipped to my door on car-part.com.

A couple of weeks ago I helped one of my brother's friends replace the rear brake calipers on his 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII. He was pretty much a newb, but he tried his best to learn and help. His car's driver side fender was all smashed up so I told him about car-part.com thinking he might buy a fender and call me to help put it on. Nope. He bought the fender and took everything apart and then put it all right back together and the car looks as perfect as a seventeen year old daily driven car can.

ZombieLicker
Jan 3, 2008

by T. Finn
1996 Intrepid
Just spent the last 2 hours De-Flooding my engine on the side of the road in the mud/rain/darkness It runs no check engine light abs light is on. Might have messed up the head gasket a bit. I'm tired now :smith:

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
This:

Ok, I lied.

I did this on Saturday, though - daily, not aggregate stats - climbing a mountain to 8200 above sea at about 50mph on the switchbacks: :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cop
Nov 14, 2007
Clean out the inside of my car, thoroughly.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Saved myself about $400 by doing my own Service A at 10,000 miles. Recharged my air filter, changed the oil and filter, called my mechanic at Mercedes to ask him what else it needed, and he said "Check the air in the tires and the lights work."

Still amazed they charge $450 for that.

Also I found some rear end in a top hat has bumped my front bumper and when my light washer pops out of the right side it doesn't close correctly. I'm going to have to pull off the front bumper now to see if there's some damage or if I can just straighten it out. Still, gently caress people that can't parallel park without smashing your bumper.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Cop posted:

Clean out the inside of my car, thoroughly.

Don't put the keys in the ignition with the seats out of the car. On many newer cars this will trigger the SRS light and you will need special equipment or a stop at the dealer to clear the trouble code.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Installing a hidden DC powered camcorder to catch whoever is dumping fruit pieces on the back of my hummer at my parking spot :mad:

At least they're not keying it. v:v:v

Cop
Nov 14, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Don't put the keys in the ignition with the seats out of the car. On many newer cars this will trigger the SRS light and you will need special equipment or a stop at the dealer to clear the trouble code.

It's a 2004 and I don't think my airbags work anyways since it has an aftermarket radio. From what I know, since I bought my wiring harness for $12.00 instead of $120.00, my door ding and airbags don't work anymore.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cop posted:

It's a 2004 and I don't think my airbags work anyways since it has an aftermarket radio. From what I know, since I bought my wiring harness for $12.00 instead of $120.00, my door ding and airbags don't work anymore.
What kind of car does that? That seems monstrously unsafe, or at least ridiculously complicated.

On my old GM, swapping the stereo out made you lose door ding but I would never imagine that anyone would design an airbag system that even comes close to the stereo wiring.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
This tiny hose split when I started up my truck. Only took an hour and a half to get the parts and wrestle my gorilla mitts between the intake manifold, dizzy EGR (or vacuum thing I don't know), heater core plumbing, and circulatory pump. 3" of hose with one inch gap between the nipples.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The new bumper for my Saturn Ion came in today so I dropped that off at a friend's body shop to get that painted up for me. Should be ready to install on Thursday so I can turn it back in for the lease.

Cop
Nov 14, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What kind of car does that? That seems monstrously unsafe, or at least ridiculously complicated.

On my old GM, swapping the stereo out made you lose door ding but I would never imagine that anyone would design an airbag system that even comes close to the stereo wiring.

It's a 2004 Impala. The story of the airbags and door ding not working was what I heard from the Best Buy guy selling me the harness. So he was either telling the truth or lying so I'd buy the much more expensive harness rather then the cheaper one.

When he said that it would cause the airbags not to work, I said to him, "Well, I don't plan on getting in an accident."

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Is the SRS light in the gauge cluster illuminated? Does it flash for a second when the car is started?

I'm pretty sure GM kept the airbag wiring separate from the radio wiring. I think the door chime is the only thing you really have to worry about. You can probably find the correct harness that you need on ebay for $40 or less. The retail markup on dash kits and wiring harness is unreal.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
replaced the skinny, worn OE wheel on my torana with something a little nicer

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Went yesterday to a local paint/body shop to see about getting the lovely holes filled in my hatch:

Holes compliments of the stock spoiler seen here:

No I didn't break it in anger, it came pre-cracked

Turns out they had one that had already been patched, was mine for $100 and taking it off the scrap chassis they had sitting out back, it was pouring rain so it wasn't that fun. Pulled some other random parts off for my troubles.

Today I was able to get my hatch off and the new one on and plugged in.

Yeah it's gold, but its not rusty and holey. It also needs to be aligned, but that's a two man job, should be able to do that tomorrow though.

After doing that I was feeling spunky so I pulled out the lovely alarm that had been wired in at some point, spent a good hour or so tracking down wire runs and fixing the splices.

Also I took out/off the broken power antenna, well the motor, the antenna I ripped off a few days ago.

Then I took off the mudflaps, which were nice enough to hold on to mud for me, against the body panels, luckily there isnt any rust like their was on my 89.

Heres the crap pile after a few hours of work.

Next on the list is to clean up the hatch area interior panels so I can reinstall them (they were wet and gross from the leaking spoiler holes)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just finished up taking the subwoofers out of my Saturn, one more step in getting it ready to turn back in from the lease. Going to put the newly painted bumper on tomorrow.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I attempted to find out which coil is causing a misfire in my engine but could only check the 4 on the passenger side because I couldn't for the life of me fit my hand in to remove the six screws holding down the little cover for the driver side coils. Unfortunately, it wasn't any of the four I had access to, so I'm looking for a different approach or thinking about just paying for the drat labour

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I bought and fitted some rain wipers. The car only came with snow wipers which I found out today are all way too short. I have now discovered a little trick known as visibility in rain... It really helps a lot.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Raged yet again at on-street parking:

At least someone left a note with a license plate, pity they didn't think to leave a number. Grrr.

winstor
Sep 20, 2009
Swapped out the lower airbox and air filter on my FG with an XR8 airbox and K&N panel filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

dissss posted:

Raged yet again at on-street parking:

At least someone left a note with a license plate, pity they didn't think to leave a number. Grrr.

Probably wasn't the person who hit you who left the note, then.