Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I had to REALLY REALLY look hard to find that mold line, man. He looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

How'd you approach the bluing, Hell Diver? I agree, bright and shiny military-issue is just wrong. Lots of Badab coats with a final of Asurmen, then metal edging?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I'm awaiting a huge order of Warmachine dwarf mercs to come in, and I'm considering using the army painter basecoat/primer spray and quickshade to get them done before the heat-death of the universe. Has anyone here used them? Good, bad, ugly?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

KingMob posted:

I'm awaiting a huge order of Warmachine dwarf mercs to come in, and I'm considering using the army painter basecoat/primer spray and quickshade to get them done before the heat-death of the universe. Has anyone here used them? Good, bad, ugly?

On the last page there were a few posts saying that people had a lot of luck with Army Painter primers.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I use army painter grey primer for my non-nid stuff. It's great, never had a problem with it. Goes on evenly covers well and never had a case of the fuzzies with it.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

No Pun Intended posted:

I agree with this 100%. Short bursts with a sweeping motion. Usually my process, is spray one side, leave it to dry, rotate and repeat until you have primer on most of the surfaces. I wouldn't worry if you miss the hard to get places either as you should really touch the model(s) up with a brush after.

That's my issue. If I've got to go back over them with a brush - why not just use gesso in the first place? I know spray primers are "quicker", but only if you're painting large things or stuff without a lot of gaps or voids. Warmachine has tons of that poo poo and so, it makes more sense to me to gesso it.

As long as it's not going to gently caress my painting up (and it hasn't yet) I'm going to stick with that.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I enjoyed painting D&D miniatures back in the mid 80s and, after almost 30 years, am thinking about getting into it again. I put together a shopping list of stuff to get started. Some of the stuff I already have, and the rest, I plan to buy. Here is just a list of what I will end up with. Are there any glaring omissions

Paints/Primers/Washes/Inks
Brushes (W&N Sable 0, 1, 2 round, 4 flat)
Brush Cleaner
Airbrush stuff (I have an airbrush and compressor, this is just stuff like extra jars, needles, heads, moisture trap, cleaners, etc)
Micro set/sol/mask
Plasticard
Green stuff
Modeling picks
Modeling clay
Pin vise and bits
Super/Plastic/PVA glue
Eyedroppers
Games workshop base materials (sand* and static grass)
(somehow, all that stuff comes to $593. Oh well, that is about 1/3 of what I spent on crap for my last girlfriend and will probably be much more fun)

*not sure about the sand. I might just grab a handful from the end of my driveway and filter it through a acreen.

Is there a place to order cats (like ordinary housecats) that are on scale with Warhammer miniatures?

The D&D miniatures had some great lead dragons. Are any any companies that still sell dragon models like that?

Lastly, I've never played WH40K and don't really intend to. I just like painting miniatures and the WH40K models are pretty cool. So, whatever I do will be strictly for display. Are there any good (cheap) suppliers for glass domes like these? Glass or acrylic will be fine, I just want something to keep the dust off. I don't need the bases, either. I have enough woodworking experience and tools to make my own bases to whatever diameter I need to fit the domes.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 29, 2010

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Hell Diver posted:

Had a free hour yesterday so I got the urge to paint one of the metal Catachan I had laying around. It was already primed when I got it, so I completely missed the mold line on the back of the rifle. :ssh:

Tried to go for a M-16 style blacked rifle, with the bluing worn off from use. I think it looks pretty neat with minimal effort and looks infinitely better than the bright shiny rear end steel barrels.

Still need to finish his boots, base, and combat knife on his back, but I'm pretty happy with the Time to Result ratio on this guy. Should be able to crank a squad out pretty quickly.

Not completely sold on the camo though, thoughts?

You will tell me how you painted this mofo, step by step.

Please?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

SkunkDuster posted:

I enjoyed painting D&D miniatures back in the mid 80s and, after almost 30 years, am thinking about getting into it again. I put together a shopping list of stuff to get started. Some of the stuff I already have, and the rest, I plan to buy. Here is just a list of what I will end up with. Are there any glaring omissions

Paints/Primers/Washes/Inks
Brushes (W&N Sable 0, 1, 2 round, 4 flat)
Brush Cleaner
Airbrush stuff (I have an airbrush and compressor, this is just stuff like extra jars, needles, heads, moisture trap, cleaners, etc)
Micro set/sol/mask
Plasticard
Green stuff
Modeling picks
Modeling clay
Pin vise and bits
Super/Plastic/PVA glue
Eyedroppers
Games workshop base materials (sand* and static grass)
(somehow, all that stuff comes to $593. Oh well, that is about 1/3 of what I spent on crap for my last girlfriend and will probably be much more fun)

*not sure about the sand. I might just grab a handful from the end of my driveway and filter it through a acreen.

Is there a place to order cats (like ordinary housecats) that are on scale with Warhammer miniatures?

The D&D miniatures had some great lead dragons. Are any any companies that still sell dragon models like that?

Don't waste money on the GW basing stuff, buy from our very own PaintVagrant or some dude in oregon. Both are good deals, though PV is definitely the way to go if you want variety and quantity.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I haven't been painting minis for a coupe years and I'm jumping back in because Warmachine is fun to play. I've got a question for you guys regarding painting order, if it makes a bit of difference. I'm starting out painting my Choir of Menoth. I'm not painting them exactly like in the picture, but similar. My question is, should I put all the color down and then go back and wash/highlight, or should I put down my main color (menoth white base in this case) then wash it, put base color on again, then highlight it all before I start on a seperate color? I suppose this goes for all models, these are just the ones I've started on. Thanks again for the help.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

uncle jimbo posted:

Please?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Empire General in progress shot no. 732, still not sure about the orange feathers, but I'm happier with the blue after several hundred layers:

EDIT: I really need to build a light box, that might be my easter project.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Korwen posted:

I haven't been painting minis for a coupe years and I'm jumping back in because Warmachine is fun to play. I've got a question for you guys regarding painting order, if it makes a bit of difference. I'm starting out painting my Choir of Menoth. I'm not painting them exactly like in the picture, but similar. My question is, should I put all the color down and then go back and wash/highlight, or should I put down my main color (menoth white base in this case) then wash it, put base color on again, then highlight it all before I start on a seperate color? I suppose this goes for all models, these are just the ones I've started on. Thanks again for the help.

For units with multiple models, I like to just go step by step on each of them all at once, ie everything gets basecoated, then everything gets washed, then highlighted, etc, so that I don't end up with color consistency issues. For solos and such, I just Bob Ross it and let my :frogsiren:artistic vision:frogsiren: dictate what I paint and when.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Always remember though, whatever order you do the steps in, always finish the model's base first.

Number one super pro motivational tip.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Always remember though, whatever order you do the steps in, always finish the model's base first.

loving oath, this 100%

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Whatevs. Top to bottom 4 lyfe.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

Whatevs. Top to bottom 4 lyfe.

:respek: dat's jus how we do.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

How'd you approach the bluing, Hell Diver? I agree, bright and shiny military-issue is just wrong. Lots of Badab coats with a final of Asurmen, then metal edging?

I painted the barrel and other areas black. Gave a few lined highlights with Fenris Grey, then took Chainmail and added chipping onto the edges and bits of the rifle. The housing is Vallejo Model Color "Brown Violet" with a Gretchin Green highlight.

uncle jimbo posted:

Please?

I can give a more complete process later, but I can list what colors I used:

Flesh:
Tanned Flesh Base
Dwarf Flesh Mid
Elf Flesh Highlight

Pants:
Knarloc Green Base
Camo Stripes: Calthan Brown, Rotting Flesh, Black.
Devlan Mud wash.

Vest:
Vallejo Model Brown Violet Base
Devlan Wash
Vallejo Model Green Grey Highlight

Headband:
Mechrite Red Base
Devlan Wash
Blood Red Highlight

Shirt:
Rotting Flesh Base
Bleached Bone Highlight

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Bases first people are morally equivalent to terrorists, basically.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Fyrbrand posted:

Bases first people are morally equivalent to terrorists, basically.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

If you'd said that you hosed fur-suit wearing fat chicks while yodelling vengaboys songs, I'd be more comfortable than knowing you do the base first.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I can see why you'd do the base first, though. It might be as simple as basecoating and drybrushing it so it'd be real easy to get at least one part of the mini completely done in short order. I hadn't thought about it because all the painting guides I've seen have it as the last step, but now... :ohdear:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I always base in batches so I don't bother gluing models to bases until after I've painted them anyway, it's also easier to drybrush the bases when there's no model attached to them.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
I do the base first and last because graveyard earth needs two coats :regd09:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I've always been a "bases last" kind of guy, but I think I may try the bases first because I think with these robed guys, I could get some of the base colors on the robes and then if I did that last it would gently caress all the hard work I've done on the robes.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

richyp posted:

I always base in batches so I don't bother gluing models to bases until after I've painted them anyway, it's also easier to drybrush the bases when there's no model attached to them.

I used to be this meticulous, now I'm like "I'm not sloppy, that's just dust."

Bases last crew, what up.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

!amicable posted:

I used to be this meticulous, now I'm like "I'm not sloppy, that's just dust."

Bases last crew, what up.

Ain't nothing meticulous about drybrushing, takes about 10 minutes to do a whole regiments bases :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

richyp posted:

Ain't nothing meticulous about drybrushing, takes about 10 minutes to do a whole regiments bases :)

You know what? I never got the hang of drybrushing. Never.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I do bases last so I can be sloppy about painting the feet v:shobon:v

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

^^^^ Haha I'm not the only one. I do bases last mostly to add the "finishing touch" to a warham. I won't let myself base them until I am sure they are complete, it makes it easier to tell which ones I still need to touch up.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

bhsman posted:

I do bases last so I can be sloppy about painting the feet v:shobon:v

I do bases first so I can be sloppy about painting the base :v:

Although I won't touch the base rim until I'm totally done with the model, that's my 'finishing touch' in the same vein as Monoliths post up there ^^^

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Cakefool posted:

You know what? I never got the hang of drybrushing. Never.

Face your fears, you saw me do it with white primer, you too can control your ham destiny.

:hfive:

vvvv Another advantage of not attaching the bases to the model is that they can still be primed black.

richyp fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 29, 2010

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Dammit, basing is much more annoying when you use white primer. Now I have to slather the paint over the sand instead of just drybrushing the black.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

richyp posted:

vvvv Another advantage of not attaching the bases to the model is that they can still be primed black.

I did this for my deathwing.. prepped the bases and models to be undercoated separately from one another...... only to go and undercoat the models black anyway :|

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Miles O'Brian posted:

Dammit, basing is much more annoying when you use white primer. Now I have to slather the paint over the sand instead of just drybrushing the black.

redo the base carefully with black gesso. it will wrap around the sand as it shrinks in to give much better coverage for a black undercoat than paint. It also makes the basing material way more durable.

Aetilus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 29, 2010

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Posting some pics of stuff I dragged out of boxes last night, don't think I've posted them before.

Slaneeshi Lord:

Unbased Warboss:

Half finished/Unbased Boyz:

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Whenever I get my basing on, it takes a few months and the whole flock comes off the base in one go.

I think the glue I used for basing is poo poo.

Also gently caress, this thread must've been moved it was no longer marked in my CP :(

Does anyone have that bog-easy Eldar guardian painting guide? I've sniffed through the thread but to no avail, as well as EOW.
Its a set of three images that show the base coat of blue guardian all the way up to final highlights, even going so far to tell you the paints used.

blindidiotgod fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 30, 2010

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Watered down scorched brown washed onto the sand then drybrushed: the future

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

blindidiotgod posted:

Does anyone have that bog-easy Eldar guardian painting guide? I've sniffed through the thread but to no avail, as well as EOW.
Its a set of three images that show the base coat of blue guardian all the way up to final highlights, even going so far to tell you the paints used.

I'm your huckleberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fellblade posted:

Posting some pics of stuff I dragged out of boxes last night, don't think I've posted them before.

Slaneeshi Lord:

Unbased Warboss:

Half finished/Unbased Boyz:

Keep diggin' man, good stuff.

• Locked thread