Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It could honestly be every bit as simple as "Savage is a loving lunatic who can't act professional off-camera and Vince just doesn't want to do business with him." though that wouldn't explain why he canceled Savage's original DVD when he found out about it.

When they really start running out of Hall-of-Famers, we'll see if he finally comes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

LividLiquid posted:

It could honestly be every bit as simple as "Savage is a loving lunatic who can't act professional off-camera and Vince just doesn't want to do business with him." though that wouldn't explain why he canceled Savage's original DVD when he found out about it.

When they really start running out of Hall-of-Famers, we'll see if he finally comes back.

Vince is probably running on the hope that Savage will die before that happens.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
First,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AZ3v6RUmvc

(youtube question, anyone know how to put the timer to a specific spot right in the link? I'd attempt it, but I forget. it was something like link&t=M-1-S-22 or something)

Anyway, watch the youtube video at 1:20. Big Show comes to the ring and has a polite chat with a fan about a picture sign the fan has brought.

My question is what is on the sign? On my display it's kinda blurry, and all I can make out is show's head and some kind of weird fat body underneath, and there's a green 3 visible, along with a second head, I think Snitsky's since he's in the match. The fan seems apologetic about the sign.

This isn't really a good question, but the video made me smile a bit.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

cucka posted:

First,

(youtube question, anyone know how to put the timer to a specific spot right in the link? I'd attempt it, but I forget. it was something like link&t=M-1-S-22 or something)

Anyway, watch the youtube video at 1:20. Big Show comes to the ring and has a polite chat with a fan about a picture sign the fan has brought.

My question is what is on the sign? On my display it's kinda blurry, and all I can make out is show's head and some kind of weird fat body underneath, and there's a green 3 visible, along with a second head, I think Snitsky's since he's in the match. The fan seems apologetic about the sign.

This isn't really a good question, but the video made me smile a bit.

Looks like Shrek with Big Show's head, and Snitsky as the donkey.

IIRC, that's the sign guy that goes to it seems like almost every WWE show. I imagine he's recognizable by now, especially since he wears the same thing to every show.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

The Vince/Savage thing is weird and the only people who seem to know the whole story are Vince, Savage, and probably Vince's inner circle, none of whom are willing to talk about it. All anyone has to go on are really unreliable rumors.

cucka posted:

First,

At the end of the url put #t=??m??s to go to a specific time in the video (in this case, #t=1m20s).

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I honestly can't see Vince McMahon letting something as horrifying as Savage defiling his teen daughter go. I'm pretty drat sure that Vince & Linda would have insisted on having the cops involved.

Did Bossman ever wrestle Savage?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

Did Bossman ever wrestle Savage?

Hogan/Savage vs. BossMan/Akeem on SNME.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm convinced that there are enough vindictive old-timers in wrestling that SOMEONE would have come forward with some incriminating dirt on Savage if that rape story was true. People with no ties left to Vince and/or Savage that would have nothing to lose by breaking the real story. The fact that this hasn't happened leads me to believe that the whole idea is entirely bogus.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Minidust posted:

I'm convinced that there are enough vindictive old-timers in wrestling that SOMEONE would have come forward with some incriminating dirt on Savage if that rape story was true. People with no ties left to Vince and/or Savage that would have nothing to lose by breaking the real story. The fact that this hasn't happened leads me to believe that the whole idea is entirely bogus.

Yeah we live in a world where Billy Jack Haynes has a shoot interview where he claims that Vince McMahon was Daniel Benoit's father and Vince planned to murder Owen for some reason and Vince rehired Davey Boy Smith in 1999 for an obscene contract because Davey Boy was in on it.

SOMEONE would have given credit to the Stephanie rumor by now, even in an indirect manner.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
It's the Slim Jim thing. Vince doesn't like people going outside the WWE umbrella for endorsement deals or other appearances...and Randy's SJ deal personifies it.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

It's the Slim Jim thing. Vince doesn't like people going outside the WWE umbrella for endorsement deals or other appearances...and Randy's SJ deal personifies it.

I don't totally buy it since Vince has been willing to work with other guys who have had outside endorsement deals.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

Kentucky Shark posted:

I don't totally buy it since Vince has been willing to work with other guys who have had outside endorsement deals.

But Savage was the first big one (at least that I remember, I was pretty young back then) and it kinda paved the way for everyone after him to get the Vinceless endorsements. It's conceivable that Vince blames Savage for not just the Slim Jim deal, but every deal every guy after him got.

Just speculation. v:shobon:v

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Brickhouse Betty posted:

But Savage was the first big one (at least that I remember, I was pretty young back then) and it kinda paved the way for everyone after him to get the Vinceless endorsements. It's conceivable that Vince blames Savage for not just the Slim Jim deal, but every deal every guy after him got.

Just speculation. v:shobon:v

Basically that's all any of these theories are. I personally think if it were something as simple as the Slim Jim deal, that more guys would know about it because I think it's the kind of thing Vince would air out as a warning to others. The fact that almost anyone who is ever asked about it admits to not knowing what the real story is makes me think it was something more personal that Vince kept private. Again, all rampant speculation though and I admit it's not out of the question that Vince is petty enough to hold a Slim Jim deal against Savage for 15 years.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
New question:

The last RAW on Spike TV before they went back to USA, I don't know the details, or even if this happened, but they were promoting a channel change without saying the channel, and later in the program, Vince came out and I THINK said "USA Network" but it was bleeped, then like five minutes later, for the last fifteen minutes of the show, the announcers said "USA Network" at least a hundred times.

So my question is: Did this happen? And if so, what are the details that I'm forgetting?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
They silenced it a few times, but one or two slipped out at the end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

From memory didn't one of the wrestlers get cheeky and start up a USA USA USA chant which Spike then tried to censor?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

If Macho honestly did that, Vince would've had him killed.

Only because he wasn't asked to join in

Benign
Oct 20, 2008

And I Quote!
What exactly does it mean when you say a wrestler is "corpsing"?

Is it just refusing to sell/work for the other person or something more nefarious?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Benign posted:

Is it just refusing to sell/work for the other person or something more nefarious?

laughing during a promo pretty much

50 Cent Bulletproof
Apr 17, 2007

STRAIGHT EDGE
KAWAII DESU

Benign posted:

Corpsing is starting to laugh/smile during a moment that's supposed to be serious.

See: Tori Wilson when Randy Savage was screaming at Gorgeous George for being with Kevin Nash, causing Savage to legitimately slap her. Also, Paul London with a huge shiteating grin on his face when McMahon's limo blew up.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Kentucky Shark posted:

Basically that's all any of these theories are. I personally think if it were something as simple as the Slim Jim deal, that more guys would know about it because I think it's the kind of thing Vince would air out as a warning to others. The fact that almost anyone who is ever asked about it admits to not knowing what the real story is makes me think it was something more personal that Vince kept private. Again, all rampant speculation though and I admit it's not out of the question that Vince is petty enough to hold a Slim Jim deal against Savage for 15 years.

Didn't Slaughter have a GI Joe deal before that though?

I think Savage was just a massive dick about something and they had a big fight.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Von Linus posted:

Didn't Slaughter have a GI Joe deal before that though?

I think Savage was just a massive dick about something and they had a big fight.

Yes, but he left the company when he got that GI Joe deal, wikipedia even says that was the reason he left. By the time he came back (and became "Iraq rocks" Slaughter) his character wasn't used by GI joe anymore. He returned in 1990 and his last Joe figure was released in '89. Not counting his commemorative convention figures that came out almost two decades later.

Corpsing comes from when people played a corpse on stage during plays, and later television, and didn't manage to do it convincingly, IE they blinked, or laughed or moved in any way. It later came to mean any kind of inappropriate behaviour when playing a part.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

If Macho honestly did that, Vince would've had him killed.

Easier said than done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4psCAY1bwqY

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_vgnwysNl0

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

evale posted:

How big is a WrestleMania pay cheque?

According to Meltzer, anywhere from $10-$25K for low-carders to VERY high amounts for the main eventers. Orton reportedly got $600K last year for the main event. This year's show is expected to do substantially better, so the bonuses will be bigger.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It may have been asked before - but what is the opinion on how the WWE would change if Vince passed away? If I understand right, Stephanie and Triple H would run the place - so would things change or would they more or less stay how they are?

I have to imagine that there would be at least a few changes to the product that is put out there without Vince being able to veto everything.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It may have been asked before - but what is the opinion on how the WWE would change if Vince passed away? If I understand right, Stephanie and Triple H would run the place - so would things change or would they more or less stay how they are?

I have to imagine that there would be at least a few changes to the product that is put out there without Vince being able to veto everything.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Vince outlived Trips and Steph.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Honestly I doubt it would change that much...the pg rating would definitely explode though. steph has had some of the more radical ideas. and triple H isnt as obsessed with body builders as vince is. so we might see something that looks more like the attitude era.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AkumaHokoru posted:

Honestly I doubt it would change that much...the pg rating would definitely explode though. steph has had some of the more radical ideas. and triple H isnt as obsessed with body builders as vince is. so we might see something that looks more like the attitude era.

Actually, I could see HHH trying to turn it into JCP. Cue the McMahon grave rolling.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AkumaHokoru posted:

If this were true, I would kill vince myself. (not really...unless someone paid me like $5, then I dunno.)

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Rogue posted:

Actually, I could see HHH trying to turn it into JCP. Cue the McMahon grave rolling.

JCP to me means JCPenny.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but let's just say that no one is going to buy that getting slammed onto a display bed actually hurts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

if Vince passed away?

I'm sorry? I don't understand the question.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Why are Canadian crowds bizarro crowds?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DannoMack posted:

You know how water circles one way when you flush the toilet?

In Canada, they don't have toilets.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

Pretty much, because Canada doesn't always follow status quo. Our audiences will sometimes decide to cheer who we want to cheer (especially Canadian talent) and we also tend to be smart (much like Philly crowds, but not with as much history).

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Rogue posted:

Pretty much, because Canada doesn't always follow status quo. Our audiences will sometimes decide to cheer who we want to cheer (especially Canadian talent) and we also tend to be smart (much like Philly crowds, but not with as much history).

unless you think "smart" means "tremendous assholes," you are thinking of the wrong Philly.

EDIT: the people booed santa claus man

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Lone Rogue posted:

I chalked it up to smarkiness for the most part, but the reception Hogan got at Wrestlemania X8 was extremely unsmarky.

Also, why are Canadian tastes all generally the same, by which I mean what makes the majority of a Canadian audience decide to feel the opposite of how the bookers want them to feel?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

DannoMack posted:

Also, why are Canadian tastes all generally the same, by which I mean what makes the majority of a Canadian audience decide to feel the opposite of how the bookers want them to feel?

Blame the Hart Foundation angle. The Harts were babyfaces in Canada and hated in the US. I suspect it just stuck.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Save Russian Jews posted:

unless you think "smart" means "tremendous assholes," you are thinking of the wrong Philly.

EDIT: the people booed santa claus man

Well, being smart does mean you're usually at least a little bit of an rear end in a top hat. People here hate on children's entertainment every week because it annoys them. I agree with them. We're all assholes.

DannoMack posted:

I chalked it up to smarkiness for the most part, but the reception Hogan got at Wrestlemania X8 was extremely unsmarky.

I can't exactly speak for all of Canada, but I think we're against anything we perceive as "American". For example, Diamond Dallas Page got huge heat in Canada because I guess people saw him as some southern redneck trash gently caress. I always liked DDP so I couldn't understand my brethren for booing him in Canada, but again, I think it was because DDP looked like trailer trash from Mobile or Gainsville.

Then again, Hogan is amazingly American. Again, who loving knows. I honestly think X-8 was an isolated incident because just about every story from everyone I talked to who was at SkyDome who went with their dad says they went with their dad because their dad saw Hogan at WMVII and wanted their son to see him live at a Wrestlemania. It was pure nostalgia.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

Vince has forgiven everybody and their mother who could make him a buck. I highly doubt this is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Let's talk about my very favorite kind of moment: the Cavalry Comeback.

Here is a good example. The heels are doing dastardly deeds. Booker T and Goldust make a valiant effort to stop them, but are destroyed. When suddenly: BLAMMO! Kane out of nowhere! Destroys everyone! Yeah!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEauRFfJ-_k

What are some other good at least semi-surprise comebacks like this?