Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Has anyone played or have any experience with Emperion guitars? http://www.emperionguitars.com/

They seem to have just started and are looking like an Italian version of Rondo with a more metal/rock guitar slant. Personally I like the idea of a flame-top V with BKPs for 460 euros shipped, but this seems to be their first production run so I haven't found any comment on the quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

tuwhitt posted:

Posted this in the pedal board thread but thought this would be a better place for it I think...

I just bought a EHX Memory Toy, but something is totally messed with it I think. How often does this happen? Does it happen? I get mostly clean guitar through it, but if I gently caress around with it long enough, I'll get loads of crazy noise and poo poo, but basically no delay at all. The blend knob pretty much just makes the guitar tone disappear. I swapped batteries but that was no help. (that's not a load of delay at the end it's me picking over and over btw)

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmzyn2j4wjt

return that poo poo pronto, yo.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I'm a scrub bassist looking to record some bass lines I've been writing. What software package will:

* allow me to make simple drum loops to play over
* accept the input from my amp
* combine both of these things into a track I can save

This is only for my personal practice so I don't need anything professional. I'm not trying to get into mixing or making full songs with this, so I'd prefer something easy to use. I am willing to spend some money on this. I'm probably just being a big baby about it but I really just want something that will let me set up a simple 4/4 and start recording. I don't want a million features that I need to tweak before I can get started.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
I just picked up a used Portastudio 414 (not the MkII, the original) and as such it didn't come with a manual. Tascam's website has the MkII manual, though. I was wondering if they are similar enough for me to just use the newer manual. If not, does anyone have a PDF of the original?

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

return that poo poo pronto, yo.

Ya, totally did. No hassles. Pedal was effed.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Cloud Dog posted:

I'm a scrub bassist looking to record some bass lines I've been writing. What software package will:

* allow me to make simple drum loops to play over
* accept the input from my amp
* combine both of these things into a track I can save

This is only for my personal practice so I don't need anything professional. I'm not trying to get into mixing or making full songs with this, so I'd prefer something easy to use. I am willing to spend some money on this. I'm probably just being a big baby about it but I really just want something that will let me set up a simple 4/4 and start recording. I don't want a million features that I need to tweak before I can get started.

Reaper has a simple piano roll editor for making drum tracks, is cheap and easy to get up and running with. You'll also need an audio interface of some kind but I'm not sure what to recommend there. There's plenty of good advice around the forum though.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

ifire posted:

I just picked up a used Portastudio 414 (not the MkII, the original) and as such it didn't come with a manual. Tascam's website has the MkII manual, though. I was wondering if they are similar enough for me to just use the newer manual. If not, does anyone have a PDF of the original?

I have the original 414 too with a copy of the manual somewhere, I'll check it out tonight if I remember

Standing8
Nov 18, 2002
Wake up bitch, you're my new best friend.
Is there any free software to rip audio from DVD's for sampling purposes?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Standing8 posted:

Is there any free software to rip audio from DVD's for sampling purposes?

VirtualDubMod has the advantage that you can (I think) open the VOB file directly from the DVD, crop the buffer to just the part you want to sample, then export that as audio.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Handbrake and/or DVD decrypter can output a wav or mp3 of a DVD's audio track.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Am I correct in my assumption that if I bought an electronic drumset, MIDI capable interface, recording software and a drumset VST, I could "play" drums and record them on the computer?

Crackboom
Jan 17, 2010
I've been considering learning an instrument for about a month now, and I've decided on either the piano or violin. Could anyone give some insight on what to expect for either of those for someone that has never played music before? My concerns are cost of the instrument itself, difficulty of maintenance, learning difficulty, and which would be more fun. I'd like to start with classical music, but another concern is once I get good enough I'd like to do a piano or violin version of modern music that I like for fun.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Am I correct in my assumption that if I bought an electronic drumset, MIDI capable interface, recording software and a drumset VST, I could "play" drums and record them on the computer?

Yes. You could also just plug directly into the audio interface via the kit line-out and skip the MIDI and VST but you might have less control over the sounds, depending on the kit you bought.

DownItGoes
Jul 1, 2008
Where can I learn about mixing different track levels for songs?

Stuff like volume, reverb, equalisation, etc. Obviously depending on the song, they will always be different for what suits the music best.
I've tried to do it based on my own ear, but the best I can do is make get each track sounding good individually while sounding less than satisfactory when played together.

Any help will be appreciated.

DownItGoes fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 28, 2010

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
are there any good (preferably free, though I do have Logic Express) computer programs that can accurately simulate a looping pedal so I can practice with it before deciding whether or not I'd want to drop $200 on a pedal?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

reach42 posted:

are there any good (preferably free, though I do have Logic Express) computer programs that can accurately simulate a looping pedal so I can practice with it before deciding whether or not I'd want to drop $200 on a pedal?

You do. :colbert:

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Gorilla Salsa posted:

You do. :colbert:

Logic express doesn't have the looping pedal or mainstage. I'm aware that the full logic 9 does though. I'm not sure what would be more worth the investment, upgrading to the full logic 9 or getting a pedal.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

reach42 posted:

Logic express doesn't have the looping pedal or mainstage. I'm aware that the full logic 9 does though. I'm not sure what would be more worth the investment, upgrading to the full logic 9 or getting a pedal.

I meant looping is a poo poo ton of fun, and you most certainly do want to spend $200 on a looper.

EDIT: Is it possible for Logic to repeat a certain section, say, for instance, if it were highlighted? That could give you the gist of it. Otherwise, try writing a few different phrases and just copy/pasting them a few dozen times.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 29, 2010

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

reach42 posted:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/AmbiLoop.shtml

This Ambiloop thing seems to work. I just found it now though, so I can't help you with it.

SugarPlumDemon
Nov 19, 2007
Sleep well, Children...
Is there a program that works like FruityLoops but with a wider range of voices for use with my midi keyboard? My keyboard only has 5 default voices, so it can get pretty stale alternating between them. I was looking for something with tons of digital voices (and possibly something that will record my midi, without making it sound overly midi)

Furry Neo
Nov 18, 2003

Whoa.

reach42 posted:

SooperLooper takes a bit of work to get used to, but it's free and works quite well once you get a hold of it. Install the AU to use it from within Express.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

SugarPlumDemon posted:

Is there a program that works like FruityLoops but with a wider range of voices for use with my midi keyboard? My keyboard only has 5 default voices, so it can get pretty stale alternating between them. I was looking for something with tons of digital voices (and possibly something that will record my midi, without making it sound overly midi)

If you're using your keyboard as a MIDI controller connected to FL (or another host software), you can use it to control any of countless VST synthesizer plugins to make pretty much any sound imaginable (that is, your computer would actually be making the sounds, your keyboard would just act as an input device).

This thread has a good discussion of some specific VSTs or head over to the plugin database at kvraudio.com.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Ok, I'm still having trouble getting my head wrapped around impedance. People say "higher impedance". Is 4ohm higher than 8ohm or vice versa?

Also, which must be higher impedance, the head or the cabinet? I have a 4ohm cabinet, and my head has a 4, 8, and 16ohm output impedance switch. Can I run the head at 8 or 16ohms into the 4ohm cabinet, or must I keep it at 4ohms?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Somebody recently posted a link to this article about impedance and amps/speakers in another thread.

Also for bonus points you could spend a few minutes reading about Ohm's Law on wikipedia or howstuffworks or something.

SugarPlumDemon
Nov 19, 2007
Sleep well, Children...

h_double posted:

If you're using your keyboard as a MIDI controller connected to FL (or another host software), you can use it to control any of countless VST synthesizer plugins to make pretty much any sound imaginable (that is, your computer would actually be making the sounds, your keyboard would just act as an input device).

This thread has a good discussion of some specific VSTs or head over to the plugin database at kvraudio.com.

Hey, man. Thanks a lot.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

I have a microkorg, how do I get it to midi sync with Ableton Live? Do I need external hardware of some sort?

Also, is it possible to use my microkorg as a midi keyboard/control surface?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
1) Any tried-and-tested means of making your own mic stands? Is it worth it or should I just buy a stand? It seems an unexciting thing to buy.

2) Can anyone recommend me a good portable recording device I can use to make cheap-and-cheerful, but listenable, recordings on the fly? I don't mean like an 8-track or anything with sequencing/arranging features or whatever, I just mean like a dictaphone that records mp3s/wavs OK.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

reach42 posted:

$200 isnt a very expensive pedal, duder

but you could just get a good recent digital delay and itll have a basic looper function built in

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

dookie posted:

I have a microkorg, how do I get it to midi sync with Ableton Live? Do I need external hardware of some sort?

Also, is it possible to use my microkorg as a midi keyboard/control surface?

You need to connect the Microkorg to the computer via MIDI for both of these tasks.

If you set the Microkorg's clock source to EXT, it will slave to Live's internal clock -- it will stop/start in conjunction with, and be tempo synced to Live.

You can almost certainly use the Microkorg keyboard to control stuff in Live, I don't know if the knobs/buttons transmit over MIDI though.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Popcorn posted:

1) Any tried-and-tested means of making your own mic stands? Is it worth it or should I just buy a stand? It seems an unexciting thing to buy.

You can get a mic stand for about $20 and they will basically last forever. I can't imagine it'd be worth the hassle of trying to part out your own. Maybe hit up your local craigslist and see if anybody has a couple extras taking up space in their garage.

Popcorn posted:

2) Can anyone recommend me a good portable recording device I can use to make cheap-and-cheerful, but listenable, recordings on the fly? I don't mean like an 8-track or anything with sequencing/arranging features or whatever, I just mean like a dictaphone that records mp3s/wavs OK.

The Zoom H2 is supposed to be pretty decent for the price.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DownItGoes posted:

Where can I learn about mixing different track levels for songs?

Stuff like volume, reverb, equalisation, etc. Obviously depending on the song, they will always be different for what suits the music best.
I've tried to do it based on my own ear, but the best I can do is make get each track sounding good individually while sounding less than satisfactory when played together.

Any help will be appreciated.

Mixing a track solo and mixing several together are two different things really - when you have several sounds competing for space, you have to start making changes and cutting frequencies which don't necessarily make the track sound great on its own, but make it sit nicely in the final mix. The real skill comes from being able to do this without perceptibly changing the track's sound in the final mix, but first things first :)

This site gives a great overview I think - there's a lot to read but hell it's a pretty big subject
http://www.tweakheadz.com/perfect_mix.html
http://www.tweakheadz.com/EQ_and_the_Limits_of_Audio.html

Reading around some forums will let you pick up a lot of information too, like here:
http://thewombforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
also try ProSoundWeb and the TapeOp board maybe

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Popcorn posted:

I bought a Tascam DR-07 in late January for $139 from B&H. The DR-08 is coming out soon or is already available, and the prices dropped like crazy on the DR-07. It records my band practices with no trouble at all, and we play LOUD. It takes SD cards and even comes with a 2 gig card. It records in .wav and mp3 at a few different resolutions, the stereo field is well represented, and has become a pretty awesome tool to have in the arsenal- we leave it running for the entire practice. It is super easy to dump the data in to whatever you need, it gets recognized as a USB drive. Get the AC adapter, because it does eat batteries. I love this thing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599284-REG/Tascam_DR_07_DR_07_Portable_Digital_Audio.html

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Thanks for those recommendations! The options actually seem more powerful than I was expecting. I'll check em ouuutttttt.

DownItGoes
Jul 1, 2008

baka kaba posted:

stuff

Thank you, thank you.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
So I just picked up a Fender Deville 4X10 amp, with some nice, warm sounding, after-market tubes. The tone is lovely in the clean channel, but the drive isn't all it could be. I play a lot of bluesy stuff, but I'm also quite into metal. I was thinking that I'd just leave it in clean, at all times, and pick up a decent distortion/overdrive pedal(or a combination thereof) for when I'm feeling savage. Does anyone have pedal recommendations for Fender tube-amps?

(note: I enjoy squealing pinch-harmonics on the high end, and deep punches-to-the-gut for the lows)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Reset_Smith posted:

So I just picked up a Fender Deville 4X10 amp, with some nice, warm sounding, after-market tubes. The tone is lovely in the clean channel, but the drive isn't all it could be. I play a lot of bluesy stuff, but I'm also quite into metal. I was thinking that I'd just leave it in clean, at all times, and pick up a decent distortion/overdrive pedal(or a combination thereof) for when I'm feeling savage. Does anyone have pedal recommendations for Fender tube-amps?

(note: I enjoy squealing pinch-harmonics on the high end, and deep punches-to-the-gut for the lows)

any/all pedals work well with the Deville. (what's up, Deville 410 brother?) You should look for an overdrive that suits your musical tastes. What would those be?

I had a lot of fun with the EHX English Muff'n, for the record.

SugarPlumDemon
Nov 19, 2007
Sleep well, Children...
I currently own a Casio CDP-100, and it's been sufficient enough for everything I've needed it for. However, it has pretty limited features, and the speakers aren't very great. All in all, it was a pretty great buy for $500, though.

However, I feel like it might benefit me to possibly upgrade to something more complex and professional. But most importantly, the sound must be rich and have a lot of depth. I have a price range of about $900-1200. Any decent options available to me within this range?

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

any/all pedals work well with the Deville. (what's up, Deville 410 brother?) You should look for an overdrive that suits your musical tastes. What would those be?

I had a lot of fun with the EHX English Muff'n, for the record.

I listen to a wide variety, but my instrumental abilities don't extend as far.
On the bluesier end (which is where I'm rooted in technique, as I learned to play out of an infatuation with Jimmy Page) I tend to aim towards Gov't Mule's tone. Warren Haynes cleanliness goes well with this amp, as you already know. I like to break out the wah-wah and get down to some 1970's porno-music, every once in a while. But on the heavier end, I'm into metal that varies in the realm of Every Time I die, All That Remains, and Between the Buried and Me. Though, I certainly cannot shred like the latter two.

Also, I know that its a completely subjective thing, and I should just go to the store and try everything they have, but I've never been the guy who just plugs in and blasts away in the guitar section. I feel bad for the clerks. I'd rather have a narrowed focus going in, so that I don't have to annoy the other people so much.
That, and I'm a total pussy.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Reset_Smith posted:

I listen to a wide variety, but my instrumental abilities don't extend as far.
On the bluesier end (which is where I'm rooted in technique, as I learned to play out of an infatuation with Jimmy Page) I tend to aim towards Gov't Mule's tone. Warren Haynes cleanliness goes well with this amp, as you already know. I like to break out the wah-wah and get down to some 1970's porno-music, every once in a while. But on the heavier end, I'm into metal that varies in the realm of Every Time I die, All That Remains, and Between the Buried and Me. Though, I certainly cannot shred like the latter two.

For overdrive, I'd still suggest the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. I haven't played it, but the overdrive junkies at TGP gave a raging hard erection for it, so it may suit your needs. For Distortion, the Wampler Triple Wreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZYiO6dMaok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5TlBI--2A

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 31, 2010

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

For overdrive, I'd still suggest the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. I haven't played it, but the overdrive junkies at TGP gave a raging hard erection for it, so it may suit your needs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZYiO6dMaok

and "Since I've Been Loving You" to boot.
I, too, have a raging hard erection.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlippyHat
May 25, 2003

Delicious!

Reset_Smith posted:

and "Since I've Been Loving You" to boot.
I, too, have a raging hard erection.

Thanks!

Whoa! I didn't even know where to start looking, for pedals. This is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks, Gorilla Salsa! :)

SlippyHat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 1, 2010