Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Does the pedal have a microphone in it? The site doesn't list it as a feature, but I thought I'd check. I'd only ever be tuning acoustic instruments, and the other one has been out of stock forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokracy
Oct 9, 2009

mokracy.com

Reset_Smith posted:

Fender Deville 4x10 amp.

Found one on craigslist for $575.
The guy says it's in excellent condition, and that he had upgraded tubes put in since he bought it a few years ago.
Could be too good to be true, at that price.
I'm heading there after work today to take a look.
I might be murdered.:ohdear:
If so, pass on my story.

I've owned and played live with this baby for almost 10 years, and I could not be happier. I get lots of compliments from other musicians on the sound, and it's powerful as gently caress. (I run a TS9, a Blues Driver and a Mega Distortion pedal into it.)

This will be the best $550 you've ever spent, assuming there's really nothing wrong with it (and you don't get raped in the butt.)

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Gorilla Salsa posted:

That's because the DC brick doesn't have isolated outputs. Switching to something like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2 or the Modtone Power Plant (I use this) should/will eliminate that noise. It's also the only way you can use power supplies with certain octave fuzzes, but I don't know if the Octave fuzz you just bought is one of them.
Cool thanks man. Are those kinds of noise issues always resolved by a supply with isolated outputs? Ie I shouldn't worry that the SMMH's included adapter puts out a strange 9.6v and the isolated-output boxes like the Voodoo are speced for 9v? I know how the Brick doesn't have isolated outputs and people say that isolated outputs are desirable. So I'd considered switching to something like the Voodoo unit before. But I don't know enough about this stuff to be sure that was/is my problem. Any thoughts on the Modtone? It seems like basically the same thing as the Voodoo but slightly pricier.

As for tuners I've seen bands using a Korg DTR-1 on top of a head and I can read it from the pit. But that's a full size rack unit.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Raze posted:

Hooray for tax refunds! Just ordered a Digitech RV-7 off of Musicians' Friend. They've got a 15% off a single item coupon that expires in two days: BREAK. So I got free shipping and $22 off.

Now to finally get off my rear end and sell my EHX #1 Echo and MXR M169.

Got this thing yesterday, and it is fantastic. I've never really been a big fan of Digitech, but they went above and beyond with this pedal/the HardWire line. True bypass (I know, I'm a whore for it), comes with a pre-cut velcro backer, a glow in the dark sticker for the top of pedal, and a little rubber guard to put over the knobs to keep them from getting shifted. I'll never use of any of it since I don't gig and I suck at guitar, but it's cool that they thought of all that. Of course, the sound is fantastic, as well. No volume drop, awesome range of effects and adjustability. Here's a blurry picture of my current pedalboard:

Click here for the full 724x767 image.

Just need an ST-200 and maybe an EQ or two to finish it off. Maybe a chorus and phaser or something, too.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Pyrthas posted:

Does the pedal have a microphone in it? The site doesn't list it as a feature, but I thought I'd check. I'd only ever be tuning acoustic instruments, and the other one has been out of stock forever.

No, the pedal does not.

Col.Kiwi posted:

Cool thanks man. Are those kinds of noise issues always resolved by a supply with isolated outputs? I know how the Brick doesn't have isolated outputs and people say that isolated outputs are desirable. So I'd considered switching to something like the Voodoo unit before. But I don't know enough about this stuff to be sure that was/is my problem.

Normally. I'm no electronics wizard, but from what I understand it's the common ground on normal power supplies that causes things like noise and LED pops.

Col.Kiwi posted:

I shouldn't worry that the SMMH's included adapter puts out a strange 9.6v and the isolated-output boxes like the Voodoo are speced for 9v?

Most pedals use much less than 9v. They have internal circuitry to reduce that voltage (via zener diodes, resistors, capacitors, and other components I don't fully understand) because originally pedals needed to use 9v batteries. That said, each pedal is different. One pedal might need only 5.3 volts, another 3.4, another 7.8, so since most of them have circuity ensuring they get the right amount of voltage FROM 9v, pedal power supply manufacturers just made the outputs 9 volts (sometimes selectable to 12).

As for the SMMH, it has the same aforementioned circuitry. When I had one, I used it with a 12v supply for the first few months, then a 9v supply, and I never found any difference. That 9.6v supply is the standard-issue EHX supply that they make for whatever reason (probably because it was cheapest to have made, knowing EHX).

Col.Kiwi posted:

Any thoughts on the Modtone? It seems like basically the same thing as the Voodoo but slightly pricier.

I own the Modtone and honestly, I bought it for the name. It's a solid power supply, though, I've never had any problems with it. I think it might be larger than the PP2+citation needed, and there are more PP2+ available used, (though I wouldn't buy something so important used, personally, hence my purchase) so depending on your situation, one might be way better than the other. TGP has a raging erection for the PP2+, too.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Col.Kiwi posted:

Cool thanks man. Are those kinds of noise issues always resolved by a supply with isolated outputs? Ie I shouldn't worry that the SMMH's included adapter puts out a strange 9.6v and the isolated-output boxes like the Voodoo are speced for 9v?

I have an SMMH that used to make all sorts of weird noises when I shared its power via one of those Onespot daisy chain connectors. It went away when I gave the SMMH its own power supply. It works fine with just a regular Boss 9V supply.

The noises are actually kind of interesting though, if I shared the ground between a Boss CE-3 and an SMMH, I could "play" the SMMH noise by tweaking the CE-3's knobs. It sounded kinda like tuning an old-school AM radio or scanning for alien life forms ala Contact.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
Well, that was a harrowing few days, alright.
Gnawed through more zip-ties than I ever thought possible, and I've learned a few German phrases along the way.
But:

:eek::gizz:

It actually was in excellent condition, upgraded tubes, and all.
It sounds the way butter tastes.
Or used to taste.
Now everything tastes like rubber and shame...

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I had purchased it because I truly believed it would save me time. But once the novelty of it all wore off, I realized that the relative inaccuracy of it all (relative to the Turbo Tuner) was causing my tuning time to actually increase. If you've never owned a turbo tuner, it's a fantastic tuner. However, 6 months of super-accurate tuning goodness spoiled me, and I swore I could hear all sorts of subtle inaccuracies, so I simply sold it and bought a turbo tuner.

Also, the Polytune took me over a month to get. I ordered the Turbo Tuner last Thursday, got it in the mail on Saturday.

vvvvv Yes, you do. vvvvv

Alright fucker, I just bought one. It had better be good. L&M was out of Polytunes and I'm finally wanting a tuning pedal after years of just tuning by ear. Mostly because I'm going to try out some compensated nuts and I want to test out the results. Also it's just ridiculous that I've played for something like six years and there is not one electronic tuner in my house.

Anyone use the TT to set intonation? That would be a nice extra. Either way, expensive new toy. Yay for me. :sax:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Alright fucker, I just bought one. It had better be good.
:twisted:

Ferrous Wheel posted:

L&M was out of Polytunes and I'm finally wanting a tuning pedal after years of just tuning by ear. Mostly because I'm going to try out some compensated nuts and I want to test out the results. Also it's just ridiculous that I've played for something like six years and there is not one electronic tuner in my house.
That is absurd, sir.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Anyone use the TT to set intonation? That would be a nice extra. Either way, expensive new toy. Yay for me. :sax:
Yes. It's ridiculous accuracy makes it perfect for this.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Yes. It's ridiculous accuracy makes it perfect for this.

:iamafag:

I actually bought the thing before fully reading up on all the cool stuff it does. Doesn't look like I'm going to regret it; I might actually have reason to use the just and Pythagorean functions, and the memory for open tunings is also a nice extra. Throw in the capacity for home intonation and this looks like $150 (shipping to Canada) very well spent.

Though I'm probably going to end up spending a fortune on compensated nuts and saddles now...

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
I'm pretty certain my next 2 "big" purchases are going to be a Agile 7 string and a Vetta II hd.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Been awhile since I got to post anything, but I'm making up for it in style:

KRK 10s subwoofer which fits my VXT 6 monitors like a guddamned glove. It's small but makes an absolutely enormous sound. Like, holy poo poo, this sub is massive sounding. It has a simple reverse polarity phase switch, which isn't as nice as the previous 4-position switch I had and certainly isn't as nice as an idea 360º adjustment... But, uh, 180 sounds great, and it's small and so easy to position for optimal phase relationship anyway. It also has a "ground lift" that isn't actually a ground lift, but is really basically a noise reduction filter for the power section. FINALLY loving FINALLY cured hearing iconic classic rock tunes in my right monitor at a volume audible enough to be annoying, and fixed some general hum I was getting. God-awful power in this joint, I tell ya.

I could have chosen a picture from any web site, but I used this one that Google Image Search found because it described it as "le subwoofer KRK," and I like that. I am listening to music and making music with le subwoofer KRK.

Mostly listening to music right now, gotta get accustomed to the differences between this and my previous sub. It's tight, very tight - I was using a bandpass design before and this is designed essentially like the VXTs, with the same kind of dimensionally appropriate front port... Glass-aramid composite, not Kevlar like the VXTs, but the 12 seemed like a lot of overkill for my needs. This is definitely what I was looking for.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 31, 2010

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Reset_Smith posted:

Now everything tastes like rubber and shame...

I'm totally stealing that.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

warwick5s posted:

Yeah, something kind of like that, but that's designed to lay flat. I am certain that thing would fall off my amp during a show. edit: I might get it anyways though just to see.

The Boss TU-50 is as close as I've been able to find, as it's a half rack.

Quoting my own post, but what I think I really want is this:

...but I had a really old one of these about ten years ago and it was Real Bad. Such a great formfactor though. Drop one of those on the top of my head right next to the wireless receiver, and run only the footswitch cable up to the front of the stage. Yeahhhhhhh

I'm basically the king of making up crazy non-standard requirements for my gear then driving myself crazy trying to find things that fit them.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!

AstroZamboni posted:

I'm totally stealing that.

You can have it. Take the memories, too... Please. Oh god...

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

warwick5s posted:

Quoting my own post, but what I think I really want is this:

...but I had a really old one of these about ten years ago and it was Real Bad. Such a great formfactor though. Drop one of those on the top of my head right next to the wireless receiver, and run only the footswitch cable up to the front of the stage. Yeahhhhhhh

I'm basically the king of making up crazy non-standard requirements for my gear then driving myself crazy trying to find things that fit them.

I have one that I don't even want to sell, it's so bad.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Reset_Smith posted:

Well, that was a harrowing few days, alright.
Gnawed through more zip-ties than I ever thought possible, and I've learned a few German phrases along the way.
But:
Is that your first silverface? Prepare to be disappointed by the clean channel on any other amps starting... now.

oh, this just arrived

But I'm still at work for another 5 hours so it's just sitting in its case, taunting me. :(

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Oh for christs sake Carbohydrates, how many is that? You are a nut, and I envy your guitars.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Agreed posted:

Oh for christs sake Carbohydrates, how many is that? You are a nut, and I envy your guitars.
This is #8 for electrics. I buy and sell a lot until I find the ones that really stick. I just sold the Jag and the LP Traditional and picked up a couple Gretsches instead!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

Is that your first silverface? Prepare to be disappointed by the clean channel on any other amps starting... now.

oh, this just arrived

But I'm still at work for another 5 hours so it's just sitting in its case, taunting me. :(

You are loving nuts and you have a problem, but I ain't gonna pretend for a second that I'm not jealous. You have exquisite taste good sir.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Read it and weep, gents, Carbohydrate has had this many guitars since he started posting in this thread late May of 2007.

Do you generally move them at the same price you gave for them? Or do you have Scrooge McDuck piles of gold and it doesn't matter?

Can you be my best friend?

(edit: I'm loving this quote from Carbohydrates back in september of '08: "I think I've become to electric guitars what Agreed is to pedals")

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 31, 2010

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

six loving pages

Carbs is my hero.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gramps posted:

six loving pages

Carbs is my hero.

While I clearly lack his amazing resources, I have no room to talk at 14 pages :monocle:

e: christ, some of those old demos are ear-splitting, I don't know what I was thinking. Although I do want to tune a guitar back into the weird tuning I was using back then, I remember it being fun...

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 31, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I, for one, am going to continue to support and enable Carbs...

Keep buying guitars you beautiful bastard, you.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

oh, this just arrived

You really need to hang on to that one. That's just pure sex-in-guitar form.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
This is not the first time I've read through this. I know this because the link was already visited. Reading through it again is still pretty great, though.

So: Which are the other 7 you still have now?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Pyrthas posted:

This is not the first time I've read through this. I know this because the link was already visited. Reading through it again is still pretty great, though.

So: Which are the other 7 you still have now?
Gibsons 1961 LP Jr, 1969 SG Special, 58 Reissue Chambered LP, and LP Vintage Mahogany
Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat
Gretsch G6131 Jet Firebird
Eastwood Airline Map

I still have one on the way too :ohdear:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

And I'm down to only a little over 20 pedals. We're both getting better :haw:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Agreed posted:

And I'm down to only a little over 20 pedals. We're both getting better :haw:
That's true. There was a point where I had like 14 electrics, so I am down to around half that, at least.

Here's the 6120 chillin' with my Jet. I also got that wire arm for the Bigsby because I think they look cooler than the flat handle they come with.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

Carbohydrates posted:

oh, this just arrived

This is the sexiest thing I have ever seen; good choice. :)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I thought I was bad for having 3 electrics and 2 acoustics, but then only 2 of my guitars are worth more than $500 and the rest are all worth $200 or less. I might go up to 4 electrics if my friend sells me his brothers Squire Tele, but again, cheapo guitar. I wish I had a real job so I could be just like Carbs.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Carbohydrates posted:

Good, because I just ordered a guitar from him! It's gonna look a little something like this:

Now I just have to survive the next 6 to 8 weeks without dying from sheer excitement.

e: Ash body, white blonde finish, one piece quartersawn maple neck / 7.25" / soft V, Mastery bridge, Novak pickups

I just scanned though all your posts in this thread and was reminded of this.

Any updates? I'm very keen to see pics of the actual finished product.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Bill Posters posted:

I just scanned though all your posts in this thread and was reminded of this.

Any updates? I'm very keen to see pics of the actual finished product.
Yeah, it's taking a while because it seems a lot of the hardware (Mastery bridge, TonePros tuners) is backordered. I'm told the body, neck, and electronics are finished and ready to go, so it shouldn't be long!

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Carb, I'm extremely jealous of you. I'd love to sell my guitars and get a nice vintage 'Stang or Jag, but my uncle is a musician and the one piece of advice he's given me that I take to heart is that you should never sell your instruments. I don't know why, but I really don't like the idea of selling my guitars. Maybe someday I'll change my mind, but I can't imagine parting with any of my lovely guitars.

For now, I can only :fap: at a distance at

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is that supposed to be a Fender-esque take on a JEM?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
So it came a day early. Still undecided on whether I will stick with it. The big test is how it handles drop-c tuning as I intend for this to take over for my LP as my main guitar in my band.

So far in standard tuning, I like it. Though the frets needs to be filed some, they kinda dig into my hand. And I am worried the pickups may get muddy when drop tuned.

So, if it survives the drop-tune test, then I will keep it and swap pups. If it fails, then I will return it i guess. I have 60 days. Definitely would not pay $1400 for it, but the $850 I got it for... seems worth it.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

washburn085 posted:

Red Ibanez

Dude I'll totally buy that off you for 900 :) The guitar sold out before I got mine. As far as I know the S series is made for Drop C. My S470 came tuned in Drop C from the beginning.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
A bit concerning that even a Prestige Ibanez has frets that aren't finished properly.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Hadlock posted:

Is that supposed to be a Fender-esque take on a JEM?

Is this supposd to be a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Is this supposd to be a joke?

No offense meant, it's just the color scheme

Click here for the full 650x252 image.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 1, 2010