Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Ashcans posted:

drat, thank you for this link. There are some really great ideas in there, I'll have to dig through and find some that I can actually paint.

Poisonous frogs are the best frogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think pacman frogs better represent Slann, but they don't have all the cool colors.

frogchat itt

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

sicarius posted:

What the hell did you use to make the individual parts of Siege's hammer stand out so well? The part on the grip in silver? That looks fantastic.

For the textured grip on a lot of Cygnar weapons (Havoc, the Lancer's spear, etc.) I use a super cheapo silver metallic paint from the dollar store. The important part is to do 2 washes of heavily watered down black and then go over the pattern lightly with a silver drybrush, using the side edge of the brush only. One or two passes should do it.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

I think pacman frogs better represent Slann, but they don't have all the cool colors.

frogchat itt

Click here for the full 800x599 image.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

chelsea clinton posted:

We could maybe offer better advice if you took a picture of the rest of the army as a whole.

Frankly I don't like posting the rest of it here because I think of this as the good painting thread, but what the heck. Here is the painted army so far:

Skinks:

Saurus:

Saurus Cav:

Stegadon:

Sorry that the pictures aren't great - we're getting packed to move from Atlanta to Boston and trying to get them all out and set up for a serious photo session is probably not going to happen. Still, hopefully it will give everyone some idea of my colors.

I'm kind of liking the idea of blue, simply because I've bucked the traditional blue Lizardmen scheme so far.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Is this thing poisonous? Because, for some reason, it looks delectable.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Is this thing poisonous? Because, for some reason, it looks delectable.

It looks more like it has no soul.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The natives where those frogs come from think so, but they in fact are not poisonous. They sit around all day waiting for something to move in front of them, then snap it up. Sometimes if it's a female pacman, they'll gently caress, if he doesn't try to eat her. That's pretty much their entire life.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hell Diver posted:

I want the Space Hulk terminators so bad. :qq:

Does it hurt to see me butcher a perfectly good set into Alpha Legion? :frogc00l::pipe:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Fyrbrand posted:

They sit around all day waiting for something to move in front of them, then snap it up. Sometimes if it's a female pacman, they'll gently caress, if he doesn't try to eat her. That's pretty much their entire life.

The American Dream. :911:

Cakefool posted:

Does it hurt to see me butcher a perfectly good set into Alpha Legion? :frogc00l::pipe:

Consider this. All the Space Hulk Terminators you've ever seen might well be Alpha Legion. :ssh:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Miles O'Brian posted:

The American Dream. :911:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats really awesome :3:

Here are some dumb SH reshoots, with added scroll word goodness:

And this is for Hell Diver. :awesome:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
drat, those Alpha Legion even went as far as blacking up to complete the costume. Dudes don't stop half way.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

!amicable posted:

It looks more like it has no soul.

You ignorant slut: no animal has a soul! :catholic:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

I have an extra set of the space hulk terminators on the sprue that GW sent me because a couple pieces of my original were bent from being packed so tightly.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I have an extra set of the space hulk terminators on the sprue that GW sent me because a couple pieces of my original were bent from being packed so tightly.

whoa. That would be awesome. PM me if you can about what you may want for them.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ashcans posted:

Frankly I don't like posting the rest of it here because I think of this as the good painting thread, but what the heck. Here is the painted army so far:

Skinks:

Saurus:

Saurus Cav:

Stegadon:

Sorry that the pictures aren't great - we're getting packed to move from Atlanta to Boston and trying to get them all out and set up for a serious photo session is probably not going to happen. Still, hopefully it will give everyone some idea of my colors.

I'm kind of liking the idea of blue, simply because I've bucked the traditional blue Lizardmen scheme so far.

That's a perfectly decent tabletop standard. I like it more than regular lizardmen.

You've got this whole brown/orange/red thing going on so maybe you should complete it with yellow? If you want to contrast instead go for dark blue with markings in various shades of paler blue.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Cross posting my oath

For the secret ingredient i was gonna go with some lame rear end striped painting or tally on the Walker's cloak, but everyone was doing that so i 'modeled' a tree made from a twig cut from a bush outside my house, and some spare leaves and hanging skull from the Citadel Wood's kit. The Skull representing his latest kill as the shadows are known to hang up their enemies in the woods to scare the rest of the army.

Will get better pictures when they're finished tonight.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Yeah, my librarians axe was broke, so I requested a replacement little red sprue. I got a big red sprue in the post & pinned the axe, hence spare for the Legion. :v:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Miles O'Brian posted:

Consider this. All the Space Hulk Terminators you've ever seen might well be Alpha Legion. :ssh:

Maybe we're all Alpha Legion :tinfoil:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

richyp posted:

Maybe we're all Alpha Legion :tinfoil:

I am Alpharius.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

CyberLord XP posted:

I am Alpharius.

No, I am Alpharius.

:ninja:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I am on a derailing roll today.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I'm Alpharius and so's my wife

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

So agreeing with this:

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Poisonous frogs are the best frogs
And considering this:

chelsea clinton posted:

You've got this whole brown/orange/red thing going on so maybe you should complete it with yellow? If you want to contrast instead go for dark blue with markings in various shades of paler blue.

Here are the two final contenders:

I am leaning toward fat yellow frog because he looks more like a Slann, although painting that yellow and white could be hell.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I am leaning toward fat yellow frog because he looks more like a Slann, although painting that yellow and white could be hell.

Prime white, dust from above with yellow spray paint. Add blotches, gloss varnish.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you don't greenstuff on the little pointy horned things above the slann's eyes, I will literally hunt you down and kill you.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Why do I get the urge to pick up Slann dudes I don't even play warhams :ohdear:

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you can't just have two slann and switch 'em out whenever you feel like it, go for the yellow and white scheme. If that turns out to be poo poo to paint switch to the blue one.

Arlaharen posted:

Why do I get the urge to pick up Slann dudes I don't even play warhams :ohdear:

Because they're as cool as big fat magical frogs can be. And that's hella cool.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Blue frog by a mile.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Frogs and frog related miniatures are the highest form of expression

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm personally voting for the blue one, though it might be more difficult to pull off.

PaintVagrant posted:

_____/
:frog:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The one in front has a face exactly like a Slann's.

Also Saurian.net owns and has tons of pics for inspiration.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ashcans posted:

This would be a loving amazing Tyranid scheme, no joke.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Some pics of my warhound, all painted up. I might go back and add some Adeptus mechanicus symbols or other details, because it's a bit plain, but for now I can't be bothered. I'm pretty drat tired of this thing by now.

Painted it red/black at first, but it looked a bit flat and boring, so the black was painted over with dark blue. The blue is darker and the highlights much less pronounced in real life, but the camera flash makes them stand out.

I'll be building a base for it though, because it needs to be based. After all, it's just made of cardboard, so it's not exactly sturdy. A base would give a whole lot of structural strength to the legs and feet. But as long as it's just sitting on a bookshelf somewhere, it's fine.

Total cost was roughly £20. Some plastic profiles for detailing and two sets of plastic tubing for the leg joints.

Click here for the full 700x668 image.

Click here for the full 700x527 image.

Click here for the full 700x421 image.

A few more images here: http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/beesinmybeard/Warhound/

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

R.S. Gumby posted:

Some pics of my warhound, all painted up. I might go back and add some Adeptus mechanicus symbols or other details, because it's a bit plain, but for now I can't be bothered. I'm pretty drat tired of this thing by now.

Painted it red/black at first, but it looked a bit flat and boring, so the black was painted over with dark blue. The blue is darker and the highlights much less pronounced in real life, but the camera flash makes them stand out.

I'll be building a base for it though, because it needs to be based. After all, it's just made of cardboard, so it's not exactly sturdy. A base would give a whole lot of structural strength to the legs and feet. But as long as it's just sitting on a bookshelf somewhere, it's fine.

Total cost was roughly £20. Some plastic profiles for detailing and two sets of plastic tubing for the leg joints.

Click here for the full 700x668 image.

Click here for the full 700x527 image.

Click here for the full 700x421 image.

A few more images here: http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/beesinmybeard/Warhound/

Looks sweet, I think it needs some weathering/rust effects to break up the flat areas and make the edges/corners more interesting. Love the tip of the plasma cannon.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I need to take a look at my paints and see what I have, I suspect that I don't have the right blue shades to do the blue frog, although I guess I could get super crazy and actually mix some paint, seeing as its a once-off. My other concern with the blue frog is that you don't actually get to see too much of the Slann's back, he's mostly face, belly, and arms. Either way I think that a white primer is going to be necessary, so I guess that's the first step.

Gumby, that warhound is awesome, the progress has been really cool to watch and its great to see the finished product looking so good. There are a couple minor things I'd suggest (pretty much just blacking out the cockpit windows or otherwise defining them) but I understand the feeling and it looks really good.

The plasma cannon is great, I didn't think that blue would work on such a large area, but it worked out well. The scorching on the barrel is well done too.

Would you like to build me a Revenant Scout Titan next?

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Looks sweet, I think it needs some weathering/rust effects to break up the flat areas and make the edges/corners more interesting. Love the tip of the plasma cannon.

Only heretics suffer rust.

But yeah, you're right. If/when I go back to do some more work on it, I'll try and give it a bit more nicks and scratches to make it look less pristine.

Ashcans posted:

Gumby, that warhound is awesome, the progress has been really cool to watch and its great to see the finished product looking so good. There are a couple minor things I'd suggest (pretty much just blacking out the cockpit windows or otherwise defining them) but I understand the feeling and it looks really good.

The plasma cannon is great, I didn't think that blue would work on such a large area, but it worked out well. The scorching on the barrel is well done too.

Would you like to build me a Revenant Scout Titan next?

Yeah, I think the cockpit windows could look better blacked out. I did something like that for some IG buggies and that looked nice, so I don't know why I didn't bother with it on the warhound. Possibly because I just wanted it painted in a hurry so I could forget about it.

As for a revenant, I'll get right on it. Actually, I briefly considered building a wrecked chaos warhound, for the diorama oath challenge thingy. You know, much less details, mostly the main hull and only parts of the legs and weapons. It could probably be cranked out pretty fast. Then I wanted to kill myself for even considering it.

R.S. Gumby fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 31, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaintVagrant posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Holy poo poo i have to have those