Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Shanty posted:

Going mad trying to think of this old Mac game!

Basically it was a myst-like deal, first person view of shoddily rendered scenery. You went around solving puzzles, I guess, and occasionally a man would pop out to tell you something. The gimmick was that it was based on an old quiz show, I think, and the stuff you found in the puzzles made sort of a chain (shown at the bottom of the screen). The guy would tell you about the stuff you found, and was probably the original host of the show. Old guy, grayish hair? He was live action footage, by the way.
I distinctly remember graphite being one of the first such links that you got after solving one of those "rub a notepad to see what was written on the previous page" puzzles with a graphite pencil. I'm pretty sure the number you found was the combination to a safe (which was in the room behind the notepad).
I also remember there being a 1950s style American diner in one of the first locations, as well as possibly a castle, a moat or a well. There was some kind of significant mechanic where you had to fill out the chain before moving on to a new location. Later on it got REALLY weird and you wound up in a pyramid or something or maybe it was a hotel? :psyduck:
I may be mixing it up with another game entirely, but I think you were meant to stop an evil magician or something, but this I'm not at all sure about since that doesn't seem to jive with the more pointless chain mechanic and also I've played a lot of these dumb games. :shobon:

I've been googling this like crazy, but I can only turn up the BBC quiz "Only Connect" which sounds right, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the game after all.

If anyone has even the foggiest idea about what the game was or even which television show might have inspired it (if I haven't made that up), I'd be absolutely ECSTATIC.

Connections perhaps? http://www.mobygames.com/game/connections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Mobius posted:

I have a vague memory of an Atari 2600 game that I probably played at about the age of 5 or so. It was a top-down tank game (not Combat) where, if you did well, you would get a screen that shows a dramatic shot of your tank on the edge of a cliff with a full moon in the background. If you lost, you would see a skull and crossbones.

Are you sure this was on the 2600? The phrases "Atari 2600" and "dramatic shot" really don't go together at all.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

ponzicar posted:

Connections perhaps? http://www.mobygames.com/game/connections

I have no idea how this didn't turn up in any of the hundreds of searches I've done, but THANK YOU!

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Oh snap, I didn't notice this thread before. Maybe someone can help me with two games I've been talking to my brother about:

-The first one we played in elementary school. You were...a...guy who was made up of a tv I think? You went around a tv/radio station and solved math/english/science problems and earned points or something, I can't really remember. I think this was probably early 90s when I played it. I want to say it was -something-blaster but my google-fu is failing me

-The second game I only ever got to play a demo of, because we were kind of broke as hell and I wanted to see if I could find a copy of it. It was a demo out of one of those gaming magazines with ps1 disk sampler. You played a woman (?) who would lay traps and then start the level, getting people killed by then and stuff? It is kind of vague, I just really remember being in this weird cellar place with wooden stairs and setting gas traps to kill guys. This one I can't even think of. I'm pretty sure the demo was the second or third in the series though.

Well, hopefully someone knows what the hell I'm talking about!

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Synnr posted:

-The second game I only ever got to play a demo of, because we were kind of broke as hell and I wanted to see if I could find a copy of it. It was a demo out of one of those gaming magazines with ps1 disk sampler. You played a woman (?) who would lay traps and then start the level, getting people killed by then and stuff? It is kind of vague, I just really remember being in this weird cellar place with wooden stairs and setting gas traps to kill guys. This one I can't even think of. I'm pretty sure the demo was the second or third in the series though.

Sounds like the Deception series. I only played Tecmo's Deception, but as I understand it, Kagero was basically the same, except you were a woman.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Cidrick posted:

Sounds like the Deception series. I only played Tecmo's Deception, but as I understand it, Kagero was basically the same, except you were a woman.

Hahaha wow. I love this place. The sequel Kagero: Deception II is the game. Amazing. Thank you! I'll have to see if I can get this ps2 sequel as well.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Synnr posted:

-The first one we played in elementary school. You were...a...guy who was made up of a tv I think? You went around a tv/radio station and solved math/english/science problems and earned points or something, I can't really remember. I think this was probably early 90s when I played it. I want to say it was -something-blaster but my google-fu is failing me
OutNumbered!?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

OutNumbered!?

Wow, yeah. I guess the tv thing I was remembering was the guys you answer questions from.

I love you guys. This has been in the back of my head for weeks.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I only vaguely remember playing a sidescrolling arcade game where you are a conan type person and you must walk right and the floor is made of bones or skeletons or skulls. I think it was pretty sparse because I can't remember anything in the background, just a little guy you controlled and the boney floor. This would have been around 1990?

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

zelah posted:

I only vaguely remember playing a sidescrolling arcade game where you are a conan type person and you must walk right and the floor is made of bones or skeletons or skulls. I think it was pretty sparse because I can't remember anything in the background, just a little guy you controlled and the boney floor. This would have been around 1990?

Possibly Rastan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastan_%28arcade_game%29

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mobius posted:

Alright, this one's been bothering me for years. I'm not sure it even exists -- it may just be a combination of fuzzy memories and made up poo poo that I've convinced myself is real.

I have a vague memory of an Atari 2600 game that I probably played at about the age of 5 or so. It was a top-down tank game (not Combat) where, if you did well, you would get a screen that shows a dramatic shot of your tank on the edge of a cliff with a full moon in the background. If you lost, you would see a skull and crossbones.

That's it, that's all I remember. Does this actually exist? What game is it?

This is the Atari 5200 game Countermeasure.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-5200/countermeasure

...! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 29, 2010

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X
I'm trying to find a Commodore 64 game. It was very similar to Turrican, but I think the main character was a human female. I'm not 100% sure if the game was fully released, as I think the game I remember was a pre-release/beta version. I guess it's from around the early to mid 90s, at the end of the C64's life cycle.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
This actually kept me up last night.

Time frame: N64 - last gen

I want to say it was only one level. You walk into a room and there are one or two people playing a board game. At one point you actually warp down onto their board which is hills and rivers and castles with giant hexagons on the ground. You actually have different units there as well and I believe you either rally or free game pieces.

It was a platformer.

I want to say this was a level of Psychonauts, but I really doubt it. I want to say it was earlier than Psychonauts.

EDIT: I was right. I kept picturing Raz running around, but swore it was from a game earlier, maybe even a Spyro game.

But in fact it was Psychonauts: http://www.doublefine.com/Psycho-pedia/Waterloo_World/

Waterloo World. The pieces were there in my mind (I imagined a couple of crazy war strategy fanatics playing the game) but didn't put two and two together.

bengraven fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 30, 2010

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bengraven posted:

This actually kept me up last night.

Time frame: N64 - last gen

I want to say it was only one level. You walk into a room and there are one or two people playing a board game. At one point you actually warp down onto their board which is hills and rivers and castles with giant hexagons on the ground. You actually have different units there as well and I believe you either rally or free game pieces.

It was a platformer.

I want to say this was a level of Psychonauts, but I really doubt it. I want to say it was earlier than Psychonauts.

You may be describing another game, but yeah, this is exactly a level of Psychonauts where you're inside the mind of a man who thinks he is Napoleon.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Morpheus posted:

You may be describing another game, but yeah, this is exactly a level of Psychonauts where you're inside the mind of a man who thinks he is Napoleon.

That's exactly what it was. I always remember the other levels, just completely forgot about this one. It came to me last night before bed, like something dug up from my subconcious that I had forgotten for years.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Okay goons, NeoGAF swore I was on crack twice for this one when I brought it up.

It was a late 90's, early 2000's arcade game. You played a dinosaur and it was set in a REALISTIC dino world (no card games, no robots, no aliens). This was the last new game my arcade got before closing in the early 2000's.

I remember the first level I played, I was a small carnosaur, a T-Rex maybe, and I was running around the forest killing raptors. At one point I walked into a river and fought some crocodiles.

It had a camera angle very similar to the Konami beat-em-ups, but was with Dreamcast/PS2 quality graphics.

I have tried hard but cannot find a game like it online.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

bengraven posted:

It was a late 90's, early 2000's arcade game. You played a dinosaur and it was set in a REALISTIC dino world (no card games, no robots, no aliens). This was the last new game my arcade got before closing in the early 2000's.

A search of "dinosaur arcade beat em up -cadillacs -flash -online" has led me to believe that this is Savage Quest.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Morpheus posted:

A search of "dinosaur arcade beat em up -cadillacs -flash -online" has led me to believe that this is Savage Quest.

Do you have any idea how many times I Googled many of those things and could never find the game?

I bow to your Google-fu. Thanks a ton, you just saved me two years of insanity!

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I played both these games on PC, I think in the 90s or maybe the early 2000s.

One was sort of like an FPS, but in a medieval setting. You could pick up different weapons like swords, or a wand, or a crosswbow. I only played the demo, but I played it a lot. I seem to remember that there was also things you could eat to up your health like fruit or meat. There were potions you could take to have various effects on yourself, like one spot where there was a giant pit but you could reach the bottom of it by taking a lot of potions that made you lighter. I also remember a hallway that a boulder rolled down and you had to work your way up it. I think there were different missions you would select from a selection screen, but I only ever played one because it was a demo. It was not Hexen, it was closer to an RPG (I can't remember if it had leveling) where Hexen seems to be closer to pure FPS. The last thing I remember was that despite being somewhat 3d, the graphics were pretty 2d. If you moved around trees you could see that they were actually flat objects.

The other was basically a shmup, but with better graphics than you see most of the time. I realize I may be hopeless on this one because I'm pretty much describing a genre. You played as some sort of futuristic flying craft and you could purchase upgradeable weapons. I don't remember much else but am open to suggestions.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Grifter posted:

One was sort of like an FPS, but in a medieval setting. You could pick up different weapons like swords, or a wand, or a crosswbow. I only played the demo, but I played it a lot. I seem to remember that there was also things you could eat to up your health like fruit or meat. There were potions you could take to have various effects on yourself, like one spot where there was a giant pit but you could reach the bottom of it by taking a lot of potions that made you lighter. I also remember a hallway that a boulder rolled down and you had to work your way up it. I think there were different missions you would select from a selection screen, but I only ever played one because it was a demo. It was not Hexen, it was closer to an RPG (I can't remember if it had leveling) where Hexen seems to be closer to pure FPS. The last thing I remember was that despite being somewhat 3d, the graphics were pretty 2d. If you moved around trees you could see that they were actually flat objects.

Witchaven 1 or 2?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Grifter posted:

One was sort of like an FPS, but in a medieval setting.

Amulets and Armor maybe. Apparently it has boulder traps, the ability to fly up and down with a potion, and a mission/quest selection screen.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
I'm trying to remember an old PC game, maybe early 90s. Either EGA or VGA, there was a level in the opening where you ride a horse and leap over logs on the ground. And then I remember a lock-picking mini-game that seemed fairly involved.

Unfortunately that's all I can remember. Anyone have any ideas?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Saint Septimus posted:

Amulets and Armor maybe. Apparently it has boulder traps, the ability to fly up and down with a potion, and a mission/quest selection screen.
Holy crap!

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

JohnnyMondo posted:

I'm trying to remember an old PC game, maybe early 90s. Either EGA or VGA, there was a level in the opening where you ride a horse and leap over logs on the ground. And then I remember a lock-picking mini-game that seemed fairly involved.

Hillsfar most likely.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grifter posted:

I played both these games on PC, I think in the 90s or maybe the early 2000s.

The other was basically a shmup, but with better graphics than you see most of the time. I realize I may be hopeless on this one because I'm pretty much describing a genre. You played as some sort of futuristic flying craft and you could purchase upgradeable weapons. I don't remember much else but am open to suggestions.

Try Tyrian but yeah you just gave the vaguest description ever like "I played this JRPG that had a boy with a sword and you could level up and buy equipment..." You sure you can't remember anything other than futuristic ship and equipment purchases?

PelvicThrust
Oct 22, 2009

And one for the doctor
Okay, I don't remember a lot but I'll try. NES / SNES, I just remember I played it early 90's, 2-D game. I remember you looked like you were from medieval times, you had long blond hair I think, and you had a long sword (I could be completely wrong here but this is what my memory serves me). You start outside, there's a large mountain with a lot of cave entrances that just looked like large black squares. I know you could switch between going outside and inside caves in the mountain to try to climb to the top. Inside the caves were enemies I can't think of at the moment, I also think there were chests? Or some sort of powerups you could grab. Probably wrong on the chests.

Also, there was this terrible game I remember playing on Win95. You were a detective and you had to investigate a murder. I just remember there was an overview of this town and you could choose to go to your apartment and sleep, go to your girlfriend's house, and some other places. I know it had extremely simple dialogue in text, and you could choose what to say in different situations. I also remember a murder scene with a safe that you had to find a 4 digit password to, I think. And you had skills that leveled up, like lock picking, and a few other things. I don't really care to play this one again, it just annoys me for some reason I can't remember this one.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

PelvicThrust posted:

Okay, I don't remember a lot but I'll try. NES / SNES, I just remember I played it early 90's, 2-D game. I remember you looked like you were from medieval times, you had long blond hair I think, and you had a long sword (I could be completely wrong here but this is what my memory serves me). You start outside, there's a large mountain with a lot of cave entrances that just looked like large black squares. I know you could switch between going outside and inside caves in the mountain to try to climb to the top. Inside the caves were enemies I can't think of at the moment, I also think there were chests? Or some sort of powerups you could grab. Probably wrong on the chests.

Sounds like Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors 2, for the NES. You weren't blond, although it had Fabio on the cover, so maybe that's what you're thinking of. Anyway, on the first level you have to climb up a mountain and go in and out of caves to proceed upward until you get the golden acorn or some poo poo.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Saint Septimus posted:

Hillsfar most likely.

This looks like it! Thanks a mint!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

PelvicThrust posted:

Also, there was this terrible game I remember playing on Win95. You were a detective and you had to investigate a murder. I just remember there was an overview of this town and you could choose to go to your apartment and sleep, go to your girlfriend's house, and some other places. I know it had extremely simple dialogue in text, and you could choose what to say in different situations. I also remember a murder scene with a safe that you had to find a 4 digit password to, I think. And you had skills that leveled up, like lock picking, and a few other things. I don't really care to play this one again, it just annoys me for some reason I can't remember this one.

If it's NES, I agree with Cidrick about Ironsword, if it's SNES, I suggest Magic Sword instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Sword

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

PelvicThrust posted:

*Ironsword description*

ha, the first one on the last couple pages I could have answered for you.

Ironsword was one of my favorite NES games.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

bengraven posted:

Ironsword was one of my favorite NES games.

That game was painfully, painfully difficult, even when I had 8-year-old reflexes. The first and the third Wizards and Warriors games were challenging without being obnoxiously hard, in my opinion.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Here's one that just popped into my memory:

I remember playing this on a computer in elementary school, though I don't think it was educational. I'd estimate the time period as around the early to mid 1990's, as I remember the graphics being somewhat SNES-like.

I remember it was a sort of first person dungeon crawling game, and the only real thing I can recall is stumbling across a boot in the middle of a hallway, and checking the boot to find that it was filled with green sludge, or something like that.

I know that's not much to go on, but I'm curious if anyone knows what this was.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Cidrick posted:

That game was painfully, painfully difficult, even when I had 8-year-old reflexes. The first and the third Wizards and Warriors games were challenging without being obnoxiously hard, in my opinion.

I was never able to pass the final level. Once I was out of the mountain and the elements were swirling around, attacking me, I was hosed.

PelvicThrust
Oct 22, 2009

And one for the doctor

Cidrick posted:

Sounds like Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors 2, for the NES.
That would be it, I remembered the cover the second I'd seen it, and yeah that would explain why I was mistaking it for what he really looked like in game. I don't think I've played the other ones, poo poo I don't even think I beat 2, but I'll try them out sometime. Much nostalgia and frustration is now justified. :argh: Thanks.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Panic Restaurant posted:

Here's one that just popped into my memory:

I remember playing this on a computer in elementary school, though I don't think it was educational. I'd estimate the time period as around the early to mid 1990's, as I remember the graphics being somewhat SNES-like.

I remember it was a sort of first person dungeon crawling game, and the only real thing I can recall is stumbling across a boot in the middle of a hallway, and checking the boot to find that it was filled with green sludge, or something like that.

I know that's not much to go on, but I'm curious if anyone knows what this was.

sounds kind of like wizardry or might and magic maybe?

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
Ok, this is going to be really vague, but here it is: this game involved you climbing up a circular stone tower. The protagonist was this goofy-looking head with legs and a large nose. While climbing the tower, you had to avoid some kind of spinning thingies and whatnot. I played this on a monochrome monitor, so I have no idea if there were more colors to it (besides orange), but the graphics were on par with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Cat_(video_game) which I also enjoyed at the time.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Dr Cheesequake posted:

Ok, this is going to be really vague, but here it is: this game involved you climbing up a circular stone tower. The protagonist was this goofy-looking head with legs and a large nose. While climbing the tower, you had to avoid some kind of spinning thingies and whatnot. I played this on a monochrome monitor, so I have no idea if there were more colors to it (besides orange), but the graphics were on par with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Cat_(video_game) which I also enjoyed at the time.

This is Nebulus, AKA Castelian, AKA Tower Toppler.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

Rollersnake posted:

This is Nebulus, AKA Castelian, AKA Tower Toppler.

Holy crap yes! Thank you!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Ok so it was a first person shooter, it was mostly set ourdoors and at night, the later levels had a creepy constant owl sound playing in the background, and I think the final boss was some sort of massive amount of...ducks or chickens coming out of a spaceship. This was on the PC, I think on windows 95 but I'm really not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimbus
May 4, 2005
The easiest way to get a man out of a tree is to ignore him.
I'm trying to remember the name of this old PC game (late 80's/early 90's). You were like the commander of earth or something and there was a chain of planets separating you and the evil enemy planet. You could take over planets and teraform them or something. You would fight by sending out troops in space transports and you would set how expensive their armor was and how cautious/suicidal they were.

I remember you would choose the difficulty of the bosses by setting their commander. First guy was a pushover. The next two were harder and behaved differently (I think one of them looked like a mantis or some poo poo). The last guy was almost impossible to beat and looked like a really muscular guy with a flat iron for a face.