Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Also that gnome is dead. Not only are you a racist, you can't even tell a live gnome from a dead one. Ignorance honey-pot successful, you are my fly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

New comic:

Looks like we get to see each of the Order failing to track down their target. Countdown to the the Belkar strip has begun!

JustV fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 31, 2010

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
I hope the Belkar finds target(s) in the brothels by being propositioned because one of them has a thing for halfling men.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

JustV posted:

New comic:

I hear that Skin-too-soft helps keep stirges away.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

jesus christ this strip is going no where why are we getting amway jokes shouldn't we have wrapped this up 5 months ago?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

HKR posted:

OH GOD, HUMOR IN MY HUMOR-BASED WEBCOMIC!

It's too bad Haley couldn't find a real Rogue's Guild to join/take over/rob blind. Maybe since this is war-torn desert region they're all assassins, and too smart to advertise?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

HKR posted:

jesus christ this strip is going no where why are we getting amway jokes shouldn't we have wrapped this up 5 months ago?

See, sometimes in this comic strip, they tell jokes.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm beginning to think that what some of you people want is just for him to post a single word document containing his entire outline of the story, start to finish, in lieu of trying to tell that story by posting comic strips.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
But it better not have too many words in it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And it better be loving hilarious.

EDIT: But not waste too much time with maudling jokes.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is he referring to any specific picture from the First Edition? I only started D&D with 3rd.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Brannock posted:

Is he referring to any specific picture from the First Edition? I only started D&D with 3rd.

Just imagine a black and white line drawing of a woman with messy hair and some sort of fantasy bikini, surrounded by dots.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Cabbit posted:

I'm beginning to think that what some of you people want is just for him to post a single word document containing his entire outline of the story, start to finish, in lieu of trying to tell that story by posting comic strips.

No, I'm actually cool with Rich telling a story by posting comic strips. It was pretty neat back when he used to do that!

edit: I hate it when a fanbase refuses to tolerate criticism. I like this comic, I really do, but literally nothing has happened for the last 4 strips now, and it's getting old. And yeah, I know that there have been longer "nothing happens" lulls in the plot already. Those got old, too. :geno:

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 31, 2010

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mystic Mongol posted:

Just imagine a black and white line drawing of a woman with messy hair and some sort of fantasy bikini, surrounded by dots.

I actually looked at a D&D player's guide after a few years of doing Warhammer stuff, and instantly saw where the stereotype came from.

Literally every drawing of a woman, be it busty adventurer or busty demoness or busty tree, was utterly ridiculous. What was even weirder was that all the books talked about the player character being a "she" by default, which struck me as just a little bit creepy.

Ashenai posted:

edit: I hate it when a fanbase refuses to tolerate criticism. I like this comic, I really do, but literally nothing has happened for the last 4 strips now, and it's getting old. And yeah, I know that there have been longer "nothing happens" lulls in the plot already. Those got old, too. :geno:

This thread is just getting over a huge bank of stupid criticism that lasted the entire length the Party was in the desert, so everyone's a little tense.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Do all people spend so much time reading comic strips they don't enjoy? Or is this just a goon thing?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think regular people just end up reading Hagar or Andy Capp in the newspaper because they're on the train home and have nothing else to do, but they probably don't go to a forum and find a thread dedicated to the comic in order to complain about Andy beating his wife.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I think regular people just end up reading Hagar or Andy Capp in the newspaper because they're on the train home and have nothing else to do, but they probably don't go to a forum and find a thread dedicated to the comic in order to complain about Andy beating his wife.

To be fair, she is sort of asking for it.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

Nilbop posted:

What was even weirder was that all the books talked about the player character being a "she" by default, which struck me as just a little bit creepy.

... :rolleyes:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This comic was hilarious, I don't know what people are complaining about. :)

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

oobey posted:

Do all people spend so much time reading comic strips they don't enjoy? Or is this just a goon thing?

Not everyone reads only things they find flawless.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Android Blues posted:

This comic was hilarious, I don't know what people are complaining about. :)

I agree! Totally looking forward to the other party-members failures to find anything out in their respective fields.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Noia posted:

... :rolleyes:

What the majority of players are males playing male characters, aren't they?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

HKR posted:

Technically, they're Avon jokes. :eng101:

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Cliff Racer posted:

What the majority of players are males playing male characters, aren't they?

At the time the books were written 'She' was the more common gender neutral pronoun.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In the later books they used the pronoun that corresponded to the sample player character they provided. At least for Base Classes and PrCs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Switching off between 'he' and 'she' is not an uncommon writing practise in a lot of instructive texts, in RPG books especially it has been the norm since the nineties. It would behoove critics of this to remember that the generic 'he' as used in older books is not masculine, but rather the closest thing English then had to a gender neutral pronoun (I am sure you can see why this is sort of ridiculous!). So, like, alternating he and she is a nice intermediary between dudecentric he-ism or whatever you wanna call it and wacky new age pronouns like xie and zhe, or the flow-breaking, unpronounceable awkwardness of s/he.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Android Blues posted:

Switching off between 'he' and 'she' is not an uncommon writing practise in a lot of instructive texts, in RPG books especially it has been the norm since the nineties. It would behoove critics of this to remember that the generic 'he' as used in older books is not masculine, but rather the closest thing English then had to a gender neutral pronoun (I am sure you can see why this is sort of ridiculous!). So, like, alternating he and she is a nice intermediary between dudecentric he-ism or whatever you wanna call it and wacky new age pronouns like xie and zhe, or the flow-breaking, unpronounceable awkwardness of s/he.

Or the use of the plural "they"!

English language chat itt

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
One could also use this form, should one wish to annoy the piss out of others.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Amused Frog posted:

Or the use of the plural "they"!

English language chat itt

Then you run across problems with the pluralization of the pronoun not matching the pluralization of the rest of the sentence.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sefer posted:

Then you run across problems with the pluralization of the pronoun not matching the pluralization of the rest of the sentence.

That said, 'they' is my pick for indefinite pronoun. It can have a non-plural meaning, it just has to be used in that sense enough - and it sort of already has been, so. :)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What the fu:negative:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ashenai posted:

No, I'm actually cool with Rich telling a story by posting comic strips. It was pretty neat back when he used to do that!

You must've hated the 90% of the strip's archives that's just them loving around/on a sidequest/etc.

Android Blues posted:

That said, 'they' is my pick for indefinite pronoun. It can have a non-plural meaning, it just has to be used in that sense enough - and it sort of already has been, so. :)

Is this argument happening? Like, seriously?

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

Sefer posted:

Yeah, I know. I was adding it to the list of pronouns that have problems when people try to use them as a non-gender specific pronoun.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Just go with "it." Let's not be romantic, characters are things, after all.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

D&D comic book nerds debating grammar. What is the world coming to?

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

terminal mehmet posted:

D&D comic book nerds debating grammar. What is the world coming to?

we're all hosed

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Amused Frog posted:

we're all hosed

This is news to you?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Is this argument happening? Like, seriously?

Oh, tush. This argument is always happening, there's no need to take exception.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think what some people are saying is that this strip was entertaining, but could have been handled as a one-panel gag in a larger strip where the team discusses their next move.

Roy: OK, team, what have you got?
Others: whatever
Haley: The "rogues" around here are dyslexic and tried to sell me cosmetics.

There, whatever, write a better quick joke about people who misspell "rogue." I don't think this particular joke benefited from being drawn out into a whole strip, unlike, say, that old one with people selling potions below cost. I know this stuff balances out well later in book form, but right now, the strip with Elan and all the DnD dick jokes bought enough goodwill on the nerd humor front; I want to see something go somewhere after so many strips languishing in Azure City. AGAIN.

Yes, there was humor in those strips, but I don't give two shits about Redcloak and I think there was enough to establish his character and relationship with Xykon before this last detour. The strip's got 6 Player Characters on which to lavish attention already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Outside of the Order, Redcloak is probably the most major character in the strip :confused:

(Xykon, I know, but Xykon doesn't really have character moments, just evil prick one-liners)