Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
PALM got an upgrade today....arent they still circling the toilet?

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/03/26/palm-bmo-capital-ups-rating-to-market-perform-on-valuation/?mod=yahoobarrons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

MrBigglesworth posted:

PALM got an upgrade today....arent they still circling the toilet?

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/03/26/palm-bmo-capital-ups-rating-to-market-perform-on-valuation/?mod=yahoobarrons

Perform at a $4 price target and the article said their only hope is that someone wants their own niche OS enough to buy them. At least thats what I got. Doesnt really sound promising.

goddinpotty
Sep 11, 2001

by Ozmaugh
So I have a tiny slice of equity in a tech company that's filing for an IPO in the next couple of months under MOTR. I have an offer on the table pre-ipo for 1.10 a share which is about 5x earnings. All pertinent info that I have access to is in the S-1. How do I even begin to think about how to maximize my return?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

goddinpotty posted:

So I have a tiny slice of equity in a tech company that's filing for an IPO in the next couple of months under MOTR. I have an offer on the table pre-ipo for 1.10 a share which is about 5x earnings. All pertinent info that I have access to is in the S-1. How do I even begin to think about how to maximize my return?

dump money into it?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

goddinpotty posted:

That's an awfully hard question to answer without knowing anything about the company. I will say that 5x is an extremely low valuation for a tech company. Is that trailing or future earnings? Since banks don't usually like to introduce penny stocks I'm going to take random guess that their target IPO price is at least $5. Will you have a blackout period after the offering? If so, how long? Additionally, how long have you owned the equity? If waiting to sell will change those holdings from Short Term Capital Gains to Long Term it could definitely be worth it just from a tax perspective.

Don't worry about getting the absolute maximum possible, you'll go insane. Is it a good company? Do you like their prospects? Hold onto it. Lack confidence in them? Sell some. It's not a binary operation, you can sell some if cash in the bank gives you a sense of comfort, and let the rest ride for potential gains.

Also, are you sure that they're truly going public? Often companies will file an S-1 to get potential acquirers to make a move.

PsychoAndy
Jul 21, 2003
what
Haven't posted in this thread in a while. hope noone was long EUR or GBP this past month.

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

As for where to put money, I'm the wrong person to ask if you want a fun answer- I'm 50% TLT and 25% cash.

Are you in TLT as just a "safe" place to put your money while earning a small dividend, or are you actually speculating on a bond rally? I'm interested because the 10 year yield is nearing a 4 handle and there's a lot of talk about bond vigilantes demanding more yield since there's so much supply. Additionally, I believe that if interest rates go up, it won't be as politically unfeasible as it was last June when TLT was about the same price.

However, a lot of people have been saying that Treasuries are completely worthless, and thus that makes me want to buy them. That, and i'm sure the us govt would like the 10 year 50 basis points lower...

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

PsychoAndy posted:

Are you in TLT as just a "safe" place to put your money while earning a small dividend, or are you actually speculating on a bond rally? I'm interested because the 10 year yield is nearing a 4 handle and there's a lot of talk about bond vigilantes demanding more yield since there's so much supply. Additionally, I believe that if interest rates go up, it won't be as politically unfeasible as it was last June when TLT was about the same price.

However, a lot of people have been saying that Treasuries are completely worthless, and thus that makes me want to buy them. That, and i'm sure the us govt would like the 10 year 50 basis points lower...

In it both as an alternative to cash and because I feel that yields are unsustainably high. 4.78% on the 30-year? Yah, that's gonna last. As soon as there's another 1% drop in the S&P there will be a flight to Treasuries.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Does anyone else use Daily Finance? This evening all my portfolios and watch lists are blank. Same thing on their website and on the iPhone.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Just put a buy order in for QCOM.
They are doing well, and Snapdragon is going to be the Next Big Thing. :)

Looking for what's going to happen ~46-47/share. Depending on the general economy at the time, will determine if I will still be holding at a bit over 46. They may be good to 50.

I think it's a safe stock, and not overdone. Trying to figure out what happened towards the end of Jan. Might have just been profit taking.

I'm comfortable with it hitting 46-47 within a year.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 30, 2010

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

D13F00L posted:

I think it's a safe stock, and not overdone. Trying to figure out what happened towards the end of Jan. Might have just been profit taking.

Earnings report, they reduced guidance and prompted a huge sell-off. It was way overdone too and the stock has been recovering ever since. I agree with your assessment though, it's why I bought in a few weeks ago too.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Duey posted:

Earnings report, they reduced guidance and prompted a huge sell-off. It was way overdone too and the stock has been recovering ever since. I agree with your assessment though, it's why I bought in a few weeks ago too.

I swear QCOM likes to screw with investors by lowering their own forecasts and then come back a month or two later and go "lol joking guys"

I'd not doubt it would go back up to 45 by the years end, and be pushing to 50 if SnapDragon really kicks off (and I hope to god it does because it's an awesome processor).

They really should sell off FloTV though, that thing has been a money drain for years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

I swear QCOM likes to screw with investors by lowering their own forecasts and then come back a month or two later and go "lol joking guys"

I'd not doubt it would go back up to 45 by the years end, and be pushing to 50 if SnapDragon really kicks off (and I hope to god it does because it's an awesome processor).

They really should sell off FloTV though, that thing has been a money drain for years.
Do you really see a market for FloTV? I don't really know anyone who would seriously want one.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
So is ING worth looking into or too volatile?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you are going to look into ING also take a look at IRE and AIB. The Irish Banks are even more volatile than ING.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Poor ALN. So close...

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Hobologist posted:

Poor ALN. So close...

I just pulled up the chart for CVE:ALN on Google Finance (Aldrin Resources Corp) and was confused as to why you would be confused by a Jr Gold miner with no 43-101 numbers going down.

Then I really wished we prefixed symbols with exchanges after noticing you probably meant American Lorain Corp. At least it popped before it dropped.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm down 1.5% on the day, 4.5% on the trade for CVE:WLC. Stupid me and my stupid dedication to my stupid long position on a stupid lithium company.

For anyone reading this thread and thinking about getting into investing, this is an example of what NOT to do. That is, get emotionally invested into a particular symbol. Oh well.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
WEN did pretty well today. I bought in at $4.50 and feel like it still represents good value at $5. The company announced they are increasing their stock buy-back from $50 million to up to $250 million, which is over 10% of their current market cap.

It could easily drop down to $4.70, which could be a very nice price to buy. But I feel like Wendy's could be worth much more once they figure out how to make money with Arby's.

Then again, If you'd invested in Burger King you'd be up even more.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you really see a market for FloTV? I don't really know anyone who would seriously want one.

God No, hence why they should've blasted that division into deep space... or Asia

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Well, the trouble with ALN, apart from the fact that it seems to be still in the capacity-building phase, is that most of its revenues are in yuan, but it reports its results in dollars, which I'm using anyway (US dollars, not that Canadian monopoly money either). If the world manages to convince China to float the yuan, then it will take more yuan to produce the same amount of dollars, and that makes a P/E ratio of 6 not look so crazy.

That is how it works, right?

Edit: No, it's the other way round. Now I'm confused.

Hobologist fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 31, 2010

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Ned posted:

If you are going to look into ING also take a look at IRE and AIB. The Irish Banks are even more volatile than ING.

They also probably wrote a bunch of CDS spreads on Irish and English debt, do your research before just randomly going into something because its more volatile...

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Christobevii3 posted:

They also probably wrote a bunch of CDS spreads on Irish and English debt, do your research before just randomly going into something because its more volatile...

I'm sorta weary of taking advice from someone who thinks investing in an IRA is a bad idea when they have 100k liquid assets and are not financially hurting.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness
Something to do with those shares of C that everyone's holding:

quote:

"As stated, the restaurant is accepting stock from all of Wall Street's finest institutions, but so far the only certificates used to redeem meat have come from Citi. Everyone else is apparently either too embarrassed to take part, having retained a shred of pride, or they're using their shares at Flashdancers, which is running a similar program"

http://dealbreaker.com/2010/03/citi-only-stock-getting-swapped-for-dinner-apps-at-smith-wollensky/#more-17165

PBateman
Mar 11, 2007
What do you guys think of Dreamworks? Just got downgraded by Morgan Stanley today and stock closed about a dollar down but I'm not sure exactly what the reason for the downgrade is other than their new dragon movie not opening that strongly.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

About two months ago, I came up with a stock market strategy I wanted to test that involved buying stocks only when the index funds have been been down for two days in a row. Joke's on me!

xiNickix
Oct 31, 2007
:DS< Ascii Titles = Poverty Avatars
Just looked at DWA. I was wondering if the huge jump in volume alone indicated anything? I've read it could mean people are scared and selling so maybe it's price will fall further yet?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
What do you dudes think of offshore drilling companies now that Obama's announced that some new territories will be available for oil and natural gas drilling? I should probably speculate about certain energy companies too, but some companies like HOS, SII, and CGV especially look appealing to me.

From the looks of it these new drilling sites won't be available until 2015 or something but was curious since the energy sector is usually a big earner.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tehschulman posted:

What do you dudes think of offshore drilling companies now that Obama's announced that some new territories will be available for oil and natural gas drilling? I should probably speculate about certain energy companies too, but some companies like HOS, SII, and CGV especially look appealing to me.

From the looks of it these new drilling sites won't be available until 2015 or something but was curious since the energy sector is usually a big earner.
All I know is that RIG and DO are up nicely since Tuesday.

Speaking of which, on March 1:

Josh Lyman posted:

Bought some RIG and FSLR this morning. I'll be back in a week or so to claim victory/defeat.
Since then, they are up 11.2% and 14.7% respectively, while the S&P is up 6.7%. :smug:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Stagflation market boringly good on paper, painful in the long term.

bleepstreet
Feb 14, 2003
Thoughts on Arqule? ARQL They made a nice jump on the press release on info of their cancer drug's successful phase 2 trials. They are making a presentation on apr 08 at the conference for the leaders in biotech. Another possible jump due to that presentation?

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Jesus, NFLX is up 10$ in 3 days. I thought it was overbought at 70, but it seems unstoppable.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
With Blockbuster circling the drain it is easy to see why. Also doesnt hurt to have the Netflix app available on the iPad.

HHHH
Feb 8, 2004

I started a brokerage account a few months ago, but I'm now in a situation where I might need to pull some of that money out for emergency expenses. Some of my stocks have gained, some have lost. Conventional wisdom tells me to sell the winners. But being less than a year old, I would have to take a hit with short-term capital gains taxes.

Would it make sense to sell my losers, avoiding short-term capital gains tax, and even getting some tax benefit for the losses?

HHHH fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 8, 2010

rankmiasma
Sep 28, 2005
Famous Person
Looking to invest in fiber optics companies. Anyone have any promising prospects?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rankmiasma posted:

Looking to invest in fiber optics companies. Anyone have any promising prospects?
GLW is pretty much where it is.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

All I know is that RIG and DO are up nicely since Tuesday.

Speaking of which, on March 1:

Since then, they are up 11.2% and 14.7% respectively, while the S&P is up 6.7%. :smug:

:smug: I bought FSLR right before they dipped thinkin' "THE POWER OF THE SUN"
then they jumped 5%.

Anyone else crying over VZ slowly bleeding down?

Midget Mafia
Apr 17, 2002

HHHH posted:

I started a brokerage account a few months ago, but I'm now in a situation where I might need to pull some of that money out for emergency expenses. Some of my stocks have gained, some have lost. Conventional wisdom tells me to sell the winners. But being less than a year old, I would have to take a hit with short-term capital gains taxes.

Would it make sense to sell my losers, avoiding short-term capital gains tax, and even getting some tax benefit for the losses?

If you're having to take money out for emergency funds, I'm assuming you don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested and that your gains haven't been so substantial that paying short term capital gains tax is going to be that huge of a hit. Assuming that's true, I'd re-evaluate each stock you own based on the information today. Whichever of them you'd be least interested in buying at it's current price is the one you should sell first.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Midget Mafia posted:

I'd re-evaluate each stock you own based on the information today. Whichever of them you'd be least interested in buying at it's current price is the one you should sell first.

This is probably the best overall advice even after taking taxes into account.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Jackal posted:

Anyone else crying over VZ slowly bleeding down?
Its like it runs up, bleeds down, runs up, bleeds down, endlessly. I'm half tempted to just sell it next time I break even, though I do plan on holding long term so I really shouldn't care.

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN
Mar 18, 2007
Finally I am able to chime into this thread.

Today I put my first foot forward into the stock market after (finally) having a Roth IRA established, and a decent chuck in savings.

I opened my brokerage account and threw my darts at three of the highest rated stocks on Motley Fool just to get my feet wet since I had never bought before. I started with 500 dollars and started buying up some stuff.

200 Shares of KV Pharmaceutical (KVA)
10 Shares of Immersion Corporation (IMMR)

Hopefully these pan out in the next few years to be some good decisions.

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

Finally I am able to chime into this thread.

Today I put my first foot forward into the stock market after (finally) having a Roth IRA established, and a decent chuck in savings.

I opened my brokerage account and threw my darts at three of the highest rated stocks on Motley Fool just to get my feet wet since I had never bought before. I started with 500 dollars and started buying up some stuff.

200 Shares of KV Pharmaceutical (KVA)
10 Shares of Immersion Corporation (IMMR)

Hopefully these pan out in the next few years to be some good decisions.

IMO, those are absolutely terrible companies. Both have negative earnings (eg, every quarter they lose money), tiny market caps (fluctuate wildly and are unanalyzed), and no dividends (you gain nothing from holding their shares). Unless you've got so much money that you just don't know how to spend it, only buy shares of companies with viable business plans and a history of decent performance.

Since you're a first-time investor, why not stick with something safe which will probably still exist in a year or two? Look into KO, PG, and JNJ -- you won't become a millionaire from them, but it's not like people are going to stop buying Coke or shampoo.