Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

taste posted:

I think this is as good as it'll get.

I don't know how well this will work, but try masking off the top with a gradient so the effect isn't so pronounced on top as it is on the bottom, where the distortion lies.

It might look dumb, but it's worth a try, especially if you can balance the contrast so it doesn't look obviously gradient masked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

brad industry posted:

Well it's not like you can't do that kind of stuff now, it just takes :effort:

The last example with the panorama would take enough effort for it to be effectively impossible.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Phat_Albert posted:

At this point it would be the worlds biggest PR blunder to have done that as an April fools joke. They've generated so much momentum and positive buzz over LR3 with this, that to turn around and go "lol psych" would be ridiculously damaging.

My pet theory is that it was originally an April fools joke and now they're like "oh poo poo people loved that and expect it" and theres just some dude standing over all the coders with a whip while they work 24/7 to make it a reality.

I think only the last part of the video is the "april fools" prank part.

http://o3.tumblr.com/post/470608946/photoshops-caf-content-aware-fill-unbelievable

This gimp plugin can do a similar (but terrible in comparison) job, so I don't think the content aware heal brush is the fools, the "backspace and create a mountain" junk probably is

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
What kind of PP do people give stupidly red photos (thanks low budget gig lighting!) a bit of a tidying up?

Most I can do is back the saturation and red channel off a bit, and hope for the best.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Cyberbob posted:

What kind of PP do people give stupidly red photos (thanks low budget gig lighting!) a bit of a tidying up?

Most I can do is back the saturation and red channel off a bit, and hope for the best.
I wrote more originally but it was getting too... obtuse.

White Balance for a red image =
decrease yellow/increase blue
which is decreasing red and green/increasing blue

and

decease magenta/increase green
which is decreasing red and blue/increasing green

this will result in a net decrease of red and also do some other things that might be nice. when done, play with saturation/vibrancy/exposure/brightness/curves/whatever to fix the butchering

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Look at the individual channels and see which has the most information, then copy that over into the other channels.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

JaundiceDave posted:

The last example with the panorama would take enough effort for it to be effectively impossible.

Hah, no. I have done exactly that before on multiple panoramas. You just have to have a bit of painting knowledge more than just the tools. I roughly paint in on a layer underneath with colors picked from the image, plus a bit of cloning and healing and it's totally possible.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

poopinmymouth posted:

Hah, no. I have done exactly that before on multiple panoramas. You just have to have a bit of painting knowledge more than just the tools. I roughly paint in on a layer underneath with colors picked from the image, plus a bit of cloning and healing and it's totally possible.

You don't even really need to paint it in -- just grabbing chunks from other parts of the image, adjusting them a little bit so it's not an obvious copy, and blending them in smoothly will go a really long way. Which incidentally I know you are perfectly familiar with, just pointing it out.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

Hah, no.

Yeah I do this stuff all the time. It's not impossible or hard, it's just tedious.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

brad industry posted:

Look at the individual channels and see which has the most information, then copy that over into the other channels.
I started off going into color curves but decided not to go into it because it was so late and I haven't had to edit something like that since... a long time ago, then again, there's something I'm late with and I have to fix up some really warm photos, time for a refresher...

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

brad industry posted:

Yeah I do this stuff all the time. It's not impossible or hard, it's just tedious.

Key word right there. People who need to push an image out quickly will love this tech.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Does anyone have any experience processing raw files in Linux? I don't expect to find something as nice as Photoshop or Lightroom, but it would be nice to have a free program that will let me do some basic work on my laptop.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

jsmith114 posted:

Does anyone have any experience processing raw files in Linux? I don't expect to find something as nice as Photoshop or Lightroom, but it would be nice to have a free program that will let me do some basic work on my laptop.

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I use light room, but use picasa to view photos when I don't feel like opening lightroom. When I open an image in picasa, it appears with what seem like different white balance settings, and then it switches to another in about 2 seconds.

I'm wondering, is this the cr2 image being displayed first, without any white balance being applied, and then in the last second it puts the adjustments that were set at the camera?

Or is it picasa doing it's own thing to the image? I can't find a setting, and I really hope picasa isn't just rolling the dice on every image I view.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

ease posted:

I use light room, but use picasa to view photos when I don't feel like opening lightroom. When I open an image in picasa, it appears with what seem like different white balance settings, and then it switches to another in about 2 seconds.

I'm wondering, is this the cr2 image being displayed first, without any white balance being applied, and then in the last second it puts the adjustments that were set at the camera?

Or is it picasa doing it's own thing to the image? I can't find a setting, and I really hope picasa isn't just rolling the dice on every image I view.

My computer does this too, but with lightroom. It appears to apply a +25 contrast +50 sharpness filter to everything I take. It always looks better. I think it's just the way the computer handles .CR2 files.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In LR at least it'll show you the low res preview while it generates the high quality one.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
How do I prevent Photoshop from stripping Exif data?

My usual workflow is Look at pictures in Digital Photo Professional (Canon RAW editor), make some adjustments, then "Send to Photoshop", gently caress around in PS, then "Save for Web".

"Save as..." doesn't offer JPG as an option, so I'm not sure what to do here.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

unleash the unicorn posted:

How do I prevent Photoshop from stripping Exif data?

My usual workflow is Look at pictures in Digital Photo Professional (Canon RAW editor), make some adjustments, then "Send to Photoshop", gently caress around in PS, then "Save for Web".

"Save as..." doesn't offer JPG as an option, so I'm not sure what to do here.

In the Save For Web dialog box, you can select whether or not to strip EXIF. Also, Save As won't work with JPEG until you reduce to 8-bit color.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

orange lime posted:

In the Save For Web dialog box, you can select whether or not to strip EXIF.

I must be blind because I don't see it... Is this available in CS3?

Thanks for the hint on the Save as... dialog

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

I must be blind because I don't see it... Is this available in CS3?

This is CS4 but I'm positive that I used to do this in CS3 before I upgraded. In fact, I thought that CS3 removed it all by default when you use Save For Web.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

No, I don't think it's there in CS3. Yes, CS3 does remove the exif data by default, but I wanted to prevent that (keep it).

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

No, I don't think it's there in CS3. Yes, CS3 does remove the exif data by default, but I wanted to prevent that (keep it).

You need to reduce the image to 8 bit in order to save as a jpeg using the Save As command.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

TsarAleksi posted:

You need to reduce the image to 8 bit in order to save as a jpeg using the Save As command.

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to know whether there was any way to do it from Save for Web.. which is the superior JPG saving dialog imo

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to know whether there was any way to do it from Save for Web.. which is the superior JPG saving dialog imo

In what way is save-for-web superior if you're saving jpegs?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

TsarAleksi posted:

In what way is save-for-web superior if you're saving jpegs?

Well, it lets you quickly see the effects of different levels of compression, at the size you're planning to output. You can have multiple views up of the original and up to three different compression levels, so you can see what the best balance is for your particular image. Just generally useful stuff.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

After the 10.0.1 patch, you can easily keep XMP and/or copyright data. It's in one of the fly-out menus in the Save For Web dialog (I believe the one directly above the image preview).

Most EXIF tags are duplicated in XMP and you'll achieve roughly the same end result. If it's absolutely positively got to be EXIF, then yeah, I don't think that was ever offered in CS3.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there a way I can have Aperture 3 scan for photos with missing masters in a referenced library? I figure more Aperture users would read here rather than the OS X software thread.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Can someone give me a hint as to what's going on with the red channel all making GBS threads itself in this shot?

It has almost no image detail (particularly in the shadows) and kind of looks like I cranked the saturation up x 10000 :confused: This is straight from the RAW, nothing adjusted except for a very slight white balance tweak.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Looks fine to me maybe you need to calibrate :confused:

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Looking at it in Firefox on an uncalibrated monitor and I don't see anything particularly wrong with that image either.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

brad industry posted:

Looks fine to me maybe you need to calibrate :confused:

Hm. It appears so.

Edit: Oh, yep. That did it. Thanks!

dreggory fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 8, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
CS5 magically adds new objects to your scene! Watch the cursor, a wild bird appears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyxDBRnuL3s#t=4m40s

edit: this is also rly funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScWu7pG7r0

edit2: Just found this great tutorial for compositing poo poo in, i guess its rather basic for most people but i learnt from it. Nice for compositing and keeping a decent mask without lovely halos. http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/masking-and-montage/photoshop-masks.html

fenner fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 11, 2010

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I really need some help here, i've been playing around in photoshops for hours trying to get close to this style and i've asked this before here but really need some "deeper" help.

Basically I am very fond of this editing style here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigsleep/4481076983/

What I see going on is, that is looks like a very high contrast image yet the shadows arent contrasty at all. When I try to recreate this my image just looks completely flat. For example:

Not the best shot ever, but good for practising on as it is somewhat similar. Looks terrible, shadows are nice though, If I drop the shadow much then they just end up being too dark. If i try increase contrast in mids/highs via luminance masks then it just burns my eyes. I also have a terrible problem with editing, thinking it looks good then coming back 5 minutes later and thinking jesus christ what have I done.

If someone way more experienced could write up a tutorial or make a video that helps me i'd probably even consider giving a donation if it helps me.

edit: getting close maybe? pushed the darks very slightly

fenner fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 13, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

fenner posted:

Not the best shot ever, but good for practising on as it is somewhat similar. Looks terrible,

I think this is actually quite an attractive shot.

VVV that is the original

orange lime fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 14, 2010

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!

orange lime posted:

I think this is actually quite an attractive shot.

I agree. The original was nice too.. Great shot!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So - Colour Management.

What rgb space do people use in Photoshop? I have been using prophoto RGB (it ties in nicely with Lightroom) however I am thinking to changing my PS workspace to sRGB, since most of my photos go on flickr or the web and most browsers default to sRGB nowadays. That way I can avoid any nasty surprises when converting to a jpg.

What do you guys think?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I use sRGB on my camera and in lightroom/PS, since, as you said, most browsers default to it, and all of my pictures go on the internet.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

I have a Canon sRGB profile from somewhere. I would imagine other manufacturers offer profiles as well.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Shoot/store/process in Adobe RGB since it is wider than sRGB, you can always convert down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I seem to remember that there were some links in the OP suggesting that you lose precision by working in Adobe RGB. Basically you are buying a larger color space and pay for it with reduced color resolution.

• Locked thread