Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Man if you think a Busa, which is 150 pounds heavier and has a longer wheelbase, is the same thing as a modern literbike I sure hope no beginners listen to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Oh man, my friend has a 'busa. He and his brother are middle aged and have ridden bikes since their mid-20's. They're just astounded by how it reacts. They love it to death. I revved it [the busa] in my parking lot one night and it went almost to redline with what I thought was an un-provoked slight twist. It's a serious bike. As far as bike choices go, I'm a big fan of finding what you're comfortable with, much like Blaster of Justice. I got an ex250 because a friend was selling it, so I got an amzingingly kept bike at a great price. But I hit a deer on it, which opened up an opportunity to get a new bike. I got a UJM and I love the riding position much better without even riding it yet.

In the end it's not something that can be put into words but it has to be experienced by each individual. That said, I still feel that a beginner should stick with something tame for their first season of riding. I think the ex250 has (pre 2008) 30 hp per 500 lb/s (with average rider). It's light, sporty and fun, and will run into the ground if you want. There's no doubt that it's the greatest starting bike, especially for figuring out what you want in a bike.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Blaster of Justice posted:

Awareness, skills and gear is all that matters. The bike you start out with doesn't matter at all. I know what the general consensus of this forum is, but I strongly disagree. A 250cc will be too small for most grown men, unless you solely ride in urban environments or off-road.

I'm planning to get an EX250 and not outgrow it. I like slow vehicles in general, this would be no exception. It looks like they are about as quick as my Miata, and that's fast enough for me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
On the flip side, I do know some people who have started on bigger bikes and been ok, and they are always at least 30+ when they started riding and most of them had extensive dirt experience. They're also very conciencous of their limits. That's not something I'd expect out of any one who's under 30, and some people even older than that. Is riding within your limits good a bigger contribution to your safety than anything else? Absolutely. But for people who are inclined to get on it or act like idiots, a small bike that's not going to wheelie, stoppie, and hit 100 before you come out of the first 2 gears can be a lifesaver.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 29, 2010

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Weinertron posted:

I'm planning to get an EX250 and not outgrow it. I like slow vehicles in general, this would be no exception. It looks like they are about as quick as my Miata, and that's fast enough for me.

Don't focus on displacement. That 250 has the same horsepower as a 125cc dirtbike, and more horsepower than a GS400. "a 250" doesn't mean much. A Rebel has 16hp, a EX250 has 34. And if you want to really screw with your head, a RGV250 has 67hp.

I like low powered motorcycles too. I've got a Peugeot 103 in the garage just for that purpose :-) And a GS425, if I can ever get around to making it ridable again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nerobro posted:

Don't focus on displacement. That 250 has the same horsepower as a 125cc dirtbike, and more horsepower than a GS400. "a 250" doesn't mean much. A Rebel has 16hp, a EX250 has 34. And if you want to really screw with your head, a RGV250 has 67hp.

Thanks for this. I had chosen a 250 because I want something that would be about as cheap to operate per mile as the Miata. I know that what bikes save in fuel, they lose in tires / sprockets / more frequent oil / chains. I figured that displacement would be a good way to gauge fuel economy.

Wanting a highway-capable 250 pretty much leaves the EX250 as the only cheap, common option. Why don't other manufacturers bring their 250cc sportbikes here? And why is the EX250 fuel injected in the rest of the world but still carbed here?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
The good thing about a 250 is maintenance is cheap as hell on it as well, compared to bigger bikes. You only need to lube/adjust the chain every 400, change the oil every 3000, valves every 6000, and a set of bt-45 tires will last you about 8000 miles.

Kawi is the only manufacturer with the 250 in the US because smaller bikes don't sell as well with the American "bigger is better" attitude. Over here you'll have an 18 year old walk into a dealership wanting a 600cc bike and walk out with a 1300cc 'busa because the salesman told him he would "outgrow" the 600 too quickly. You're not a manly man if you can't do 0-60 in 3 seconds, after all.

They're still carbed in the US because of our emissions laws. It would cost Kawi a shitton in fees and tests to switch it over to FI and they wouldn't see that money back since most buyers aren't going to particularly care about or even know what FI is.

Funny, you've got a miata and want a 250; I have a 250 and want a miata :)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Forgive me, CA, for I have sinned. I did not go down a road that I normally enjoy, but instead pussed out, because it was windy and I didn't want to fight to stay on the road.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The valve adjustment interval is actually shorter on the 250 than on most other bikes...comes with the very high RPM operation. A lot of bikes are up to 16k checks or even higher now.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Weinertron posted:

Thanks for this. I had chosen a 250 because I want something that would be about as cheap to operate per mile as the Miata. I know that what bikes save in fuel, they lose in tires / sprockets / more frequent oil / chains. I figured that displacement would be a good way to gauge fuel economy.

Wanting a highway-capable 250 pretty much leaves the EX250 as the only cheap, common option. Why don't other manufacturers bring their 250cc sportbikes here? And why is the EX250 fuel injected in the rest of the world but still carbed here?

You'll probably find the 250 a lot more fun in twisties too, I've never ridden a 250 ninja but I can tell from taking my F2 out onto some twisties.... It was incredibly difficult to use all it's power. My GS500 probably would have been more fun and easier to ride through them. I think riding is one of the best things i've done in my life, it's nice to know you'll always have a place to park where you are going.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

The valve adjustment interval is actually shorter on the 250 than on most other bikes...comes with the very high RPM operation. A lot of bikes are up to 16k checks or even higher now.

24,000km for my 05 1000 :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So what actually contributes to the extended intervals? Are they using better-wearing materials in the valve seats these days (or whatever else it is that wears to change valve clearance)?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

2ndclasscitizen posted:

24,000km for my 05 1000 :colbert:

That's 15K miles :colbert:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
miles dont exist in the real world.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dubs posted:

miles dont exist in the real world.

I have no intuitive idea of how much a liter or a kilometer is. I need to stop and think and convert to gallons and miles in my head. :smith:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Weinertron posted:

I have no intuitive idea of how much a liter or a kilometer is. I need to stop and think and convert to gallons and miles in my head. :smith:

Screw your liter-bikes, I got a quart-bike...bored two cups over.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Gnaghi posted:

Screw your liter-bikes, I got a quart-bike...bored two cups over.

61 cubic inch bike:colbert:.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Phy posted:

Forgive me, CA, for I have sinned. I did not go down a road that I normally enjoy, but instead pussed out, because it was windy and I didn't want to fight to stay on the road.

No, you have not sinned. A huge part of keeping alive is listening to that little voice that says "Don't do that." or "I really shouldn't be riding right now." or "Maybe I shouldn't go that way."

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Weinertron posted:

I bet you've got a pretty intuitive idea of how much TWO liters is, though.

I, too, have sinned.

It's gonna be 79* in Denver today, and I took the car because I woke up late (having flown in from California at 11:45pm. Darn you, PDT! :argh: ), and was generally lazy this morning.

I guess going for a ride this evening is pretty much mandatory. =)

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jabs posted:

I bet you've got a pretty intuitive idea of how much TWO liters is, though.

I, too, have sinned.

It's gonna be 79* in Denver today, and I took the car because I woke up late (having flown in from California at 11:45pm. Darn you, PDT! :argh: ), and was generally lazy this morning.

I guess going for a ride this evening is pretty much mandatory. =)

I've found 4 completely transparent reasons to strom around Denver on the bike today. "Hey we're down to 20% black toner, I guess I should go pick some of that up right?" "I'm thirsty, I think I'll get a soda at a gas station 10 miles away." It's been pretty nice.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
What's the deal with all the trikes and trike conversions I've been seeing around? Around here they're more common than regular bikes even. To my mind they wouldn't be much fun at all.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

What's the deal with all the trikes and trike conversions I've been seeing around? Around here they're more common than regular bikes even. To my mind they wouldn't be much fun at all.

Most of them are just pansies. They want a car that looks/sounds like a motorcycle.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

A lot of old people that can't keep up a lard sled anymore buying trike Wings & Glides.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

These have been popping up on baltimore craigslist like crazy lately. Everyone seems to think their trike is worth 20,000 after 10 years of use. I dunno, maybe the demand is there but I think they seem dumb. Although, I would love to demo ride a spyder if the opportunity presented itself. I am intrigued by the design.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lots of older and disabled riders ride trikes because they have to. Some people just like them. If I was going to get an un-tippable bike, I'd be going the Can-Am route.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'll wave to scooter riders but draw the line at Spider riders.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Wave with one finger.

When I had my Buell I considered trying out for the local Harley high-mileage contest, but said eh when the guy who always won 1st was some jerk on a trike. drat cheater.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Every single trike I see is always ridden by an enormous fat-rear end.

If I ever get to the point where I can't hold up a bike for whatever reason, I'm getting a side-car. Screw trikes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gnaghi posted:

Wave with one finger.

Which finger?

I have a friend that wants a trike. I have no idea why. He's not a large fat-rear end by any means (about 5' 5" and works out a ton). He briefly rode a Buell Blast, so it's not like he's afraid to get on a bike.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Uthor posted:

Which finger?

I have a friend that wants a trike. I have no idea why. He's not a large fat-rear end by any means (about 5' 5" and works out a ton). He briefly rode a Buell Blast, so it's not like he's afraid to get on a bike.

For the love of God, you need to talk him out of it. My MOM wants a trike and she's 70 years old.

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

I saw someone riding an trike-converted Goldwing yesterday, he wasn't wearing a helmet. :downsrim:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Cablekid posted:

I saw someone riding an trike-converted Goldwing yesterday, he wasn't wearing a helmet. :downsrim:

Why would he? It'd be like wearing a helmet in a convertible.

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Gnaghi posted:

Why would he? It'd be like wearing a helmet in a convertible.

It would be easy to fall out of a convertible if it didn't have doors or seatbelts.

All I mean by that is if I had a trike I wouldn't chance it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I wouldn't chance having a trike.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

front wheel, motorcycle based trikes, are the most dynamically wrong vehicles on the road. Heavy braking, and even just turns can cause them to tip over. leaving the rear of hte bike to drag over you.

Taildragger trikes like the canam are ok.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cablekid posted:

It would be easy to fall out of a convertible if it didn't have doors or seatbelts.

All I mean by that is if I had a trike I wouldn't chance it.

bro's don't have doors or seatbelts in their lifted Jeeps, they don't need helmets. I'd be more worried about falling out of one of those than a Goldwing trike.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I actually saw a scooter trike the other day. I have no idea what kind, but it was some generic Kymco looking thing with two wheels in the back where there would normally be one. Weirdest of both worlds?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I dont know if I should be all :madmax: this season or :negative:. I am already riding like the people I hated before. Damned bike and it being fast as poo poo compared to my rabbit :(

I think if I bought that CBR1000RR last winter I would be a splat on the road by now.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

I think if I bought that CBR1000RR last winter I would be a splat on the road by now.

But you'd be the fastest splat on the road :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

AncientTV posted:

But you'd be the fastest splat on the road :madmax:
Until a S1000RR goes splat :colbert: