Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phorge
Jan 10, 2001
I got banned for not reading the Leper Colony. Thanks OMGWTFBBQ!
Speaking of the AOC-USAS-L8i, I've been trying like hell to get this working with Ubuntu Server 9.10 x64 and it's incredibly flaky. Has anyone had any success in getting this working properly under linux? The mpt driver appears to be randomly dropping disks. I'm willing to try Opensolaris, but I'd rather use something I'm more familiar with if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

devilmouse posted:

Any other thoughts?
If it were me, I would go with 2x 9 disk raidz2 vdevs + 2 hot spares.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

phorge posted:

Speaking of the AOC-USAS-L8i, I've been trying like hell to get this working with Ubuntu Server 9.10 x64 and it's incredibly flaky. Has anyone had any success in getting this working properly under linux? The mpt driver appears to be randomly dropping disks. I'm willing to try Opensolaris, but I'd rather use something I'm more familiar with if at all possible.

That's what I've heard with that card. The aoc-saslp-mv8 is a better choice for Linux from what I hear. It uses a marvel chipset that has Linux drivers. It's also a few bucks cheaper than the L8i. Not sure if that helps you, but if worse comes to worse and you SA-mart it, you can get a decent replacement.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
I've read through the entire thread, and sorry if this has been mentioned before (I must have missed it) but is anyone running a hypervisor on their home setup?

I'm using my single box for pbx, router, and fileserver so I'm using Xen as the "host" as it were, and running windows2008r2, trixbox, and pfsense on the higher end. I used to have windows 2008 r2 as the "host" and ran vmware server, but I found that it provided tons of problems with the guest OS's even with the toolkits installed.

My main problem right now is redundancy, I'm getting 80-90MB/s in transfer rates from my hard drives which is more than acceptable but although the intel storage manager recognizes them and has an array built, it looks like Xen sees them on a per-spindle basis. Should I be concerned or do you think the Intel storage manager during POST will be able to rebuild my array in a failure situation?

I've checked the HCL so I'm sure that Xen does not in fact support ich10r, so I'm just hoping for the possibility that my motherboard chipset is going to do what my hypervisor doesn't.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

originalnickname posted:

so I'm just hoping for the possibility that my motherboard chipset is going to do what my hypervisor doesn't.
I really doubt it. Those chipsets use their drivers to do everything. If you want to run your hypervisor on your storage, xen runs on opensolaris.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

adorai posted:

I really doubt it. Those chipsets use their drivers to do everything. If you want to run your hypervisor on your storage, xen runs on opensolaris.

That's what I do. It's pretty simple to get up and running with Xen on OpenSolaris.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Apologies for dumbing down the collective IQ of this thread, but I had a couple of questions about buying a premade 2 bay NAS solution. I did a search of the forum but didn't see much listed.

I've been looking at several different options available here locally (Australia) and I've come across the Netgear Stora. Now for all intents and purposes, this looks like it will suit my needs quite well. It has an automatic Raid 1 setup, comes with a 1TB WD HDD and is significantly cheaper than the others on the market.

However... Reviews of the unit have been rather inconsistent. Obviously aimed at the average consumer market and rushed out the door, supposedly some of the advertised features don't work as well (and some not at all.) Most of these are supposedly to be fixed in a future update, but there is a subscription service you need to pay for to receive said updates, and utilise some of the features.

Now I plan to merely use this thing as an automatic backup solution and utilise mapped network drives between my Mac's and PC's, hosting my downloaded media content and backups of project work and photos.

Seeing as it will only cost me around $250 AUD from gizmomart.com.au, the nearest alternative is almost $200 more expensive and I already have a matching 1TB WD HDD for the mirror drive, I've been thinking it may be a good bet.

Now to access files on the Stora remotely, you need to pay for the subscription service, but given that I don't see myself doing this (and I assume if I ever do, I may do it through a mapped drive through another computer) this should hopefully not be a problem. Still that idea irks me, (and especially the idea that you supposedly need to pay for firmware updates)

Before I make my mind up, I'd like to consult the experts here. Anyone had any experience with a Stora and think it would suit my needs? Or is it something I should stay away from? Is there a better alternative? Should I just install a couple of internal drives into my desktop and run a Raid 1 setup?

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Isometric Bacon posted:

Seeing as it will only cost me around $250 AUD from gizmomart.com.au, the nearest alternative is almost $200 more expensive and I already have a matching 1TB WD HDD for the mirror drive, I've been thinking it may be a good bet.

Everything you've said about the device makes me think it's garbage. Some of the features don't work well and others don't work at all, and there's "supposedly" a fix in the future? Ugh stay away from it.

Put the two drives in your PC in raid 1, or pony up some more cash for something better.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

So, I have a DNS-323 (fun_plug enabled) with (2) Seagate LP 1TB drives in a RAID1 configuration. Apparently I purchased the most unreliable drives, and now my RAID has needed rebuild after degrading. Is there anything I can use on the RAID like S.M.A.R.T. to read off reports, as I have seen one of the drives fail (yet began working after being offline for a day or so), and I suspect the other of possibly failing in the near future as well.

I am wondering how to deal with the data currently on the NAS, I am half-expecting I should purchase another 1TB drive to rebuild the RAID with, so I can send off both drives for replacement, except that seems a bit overkill. Bleh, I built this NAS to offload my data to be in a safer environment, but I somehow pick horridly unreliable drives making it a very unsafe environment.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

JerseyMonkey posted:

So, I have a DNS-323 (fun_plug enabled) with (2) Seagate LP 1TB drives in a RAID1 configuration. Apparently I purchased the most unreliable drives, and now my RAID has needed rebuild after degrading. Is there anything I can use on the RAID like S.M.A.R.T. to read off reports, as I have seen one of the drives fail (yet began working after being offline for a day or so), and I suspect the other of possibly failing in the near future as well.

I am wondering how to deal with the data currently on the NAS, I am half-expecting I should purchase another 1TB drive to rebuild the RAID with, so I can send off both drives for replacement, except that seems a bit overkill. Bleh, I built this NAS to offload my data to be in a safer environment, but I somehow pick horridly unreliable drives making it a very unsafe environment.
Never used one, but it looks like there's add-ons for funplug to do SMART monitoring reports:
http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:smartd_email

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

lilbean posted:

Never used one, but it looks like there's add-ons for funplug to do SMART monitoring reports:
http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:smartd_email

I have tested S.M.A.R.T. with fun_plug, but it will not scan because of the RAID1 configuration causing the drives to appear as one. I think I may go with the new HD route and hope I don't lose data in the process.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

JerseyMonkey posted:

I have tested S.M.A.R.T. with fun_plug, but it will not scan because of the RAID1 configuration causing the drives to appear as one. I think I may go with the new HD route and hope I don't lose data in the process.

This is also a problem on any RAID controller that doesn't include SMART support in the included software, much less a way of accessing it beyond that. Does it even do notifications if the RAID fails? I have yet to find a cheap NAS capable of that.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So in the process of setting up my virtualized nas, I've run into some annoyances.

1. FreeNAS, while having all the features and ease of use I want, doesn't have drivers for the Adaptec 5805Z raid card i'm giving direct VT-D access to the VM.

2. Openfiler sucks balls for ease of use.

3. I really don't want to pay for NASLite

4. I could easily roll an ubuntu 9.10 server and share it out that way, but i'd rather just be running a simple nas appliance with a web gui.

Any other suggestions for a nas appliance install that is compatible with an Adaptec 5805Z?

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
It looks like there are freeBSD drivers for the adaptec 5805Z. Have you tried installing those?

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Actually, it looks like FreeBSD supports the Adaptec 5805 series without additional drivers.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/hardware.html

Which version of FreeNAS are you using? Try one of the 7.1 nightlies. If you are using 6.x I can imagine there wouldn't be support.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

friendship waffle posted:

Which version of FreeNAS are you using? Try one of the 7.1 nightlies. If you are using 6.x I can imagine there wouldn't be support.

I'll give that a shot when I get home, thanks!

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Anyone have an easy way of updating rtorrent on nexenta? I've been putting it off for months but my version is banned in too many places now.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

vanjalolz posted:

Anyone have an easy way of updating rtorrent on nexenta? I've been putting it off for months but my version is banned in too many places now.

Manual compile? I've done it on Linux and OS X - and having the dependencies installed will save you a lot of trouble, assuming the latest build is backwards compatible (should be). For PowerPC I needed specific patches, but I ran it with far older copies of libcurl and libsigc, as well as building it with an older copy of GCC (still newer then Apple's "latest" build for 10.5) from MacPorts.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

vanjalolz posted:

It's in the opensolaris dev repository, if that helps at all (I bet it doesn't).

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

NOTinuyasha posted:

Manual compile? I've done it on Linux and OS X - and having the dependencies installed will save you a lot of trouble, assuming the latest build is backwards compatible (should be).
Yeah I've done it with no drama on sane posix systems, but solaris/nexenta is a beast of its own. I've just fixed the various compile errors and am now tracking down an issue with ncurses. Apparently I can't use the ncurses from the package manager and need to build it from source.. and it wont build from source because it cant find libc :depressedemote:

FISHMANPET posted:

It's in the opensolaris dev repository, if that helps at all (I bet it doesn't).

I'll google for it and hopefully something comes up.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

I'll give that a shot when I get home, thanks!

No dice on the 7.1 nightly...interestingly enough though, I can see it loading an adaptec driver during the boot process, but no disk volumes show up when I go to add them in disk management.

...time to hit the command line, someone buy me a hiphugger of old grandad.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

vanjalolz posted:

Yeah I've done it with no drama on sane posix systems, but solaris/nexenta is a beast of its own. I've just fixed the various compile errors and am now tracking down an issue with ncurses. Apparently I can't use the ncurses from the package manager and need to build it from source.. and it wont build from source because it cant find libc :depressedemote:

I had similar bad issues on OS X, spent an enormous amount of time on the trac trying to sort them out. I needed to install a copy of GCC over the Apple one, applied two patches just to get a compile, another two for stability. I'm proud to say I got at least one change made in my name but unhappy I wasted that much time. uTorrent with Windows is still way better. I can't even imagine trying to get rtorrent to run on an NAS, it killed my dual G5 Xserve as it was. Maybe give Transmission a shot? Beyond that I've heard alright things about Enhanced Ctorrent for limited NASes but that's completely banned on quite a few trackers.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

NOTinuyasha posted:

I had similar bad issues on OS X, spent an enormous amount of time on the trac trying to sort them out. I needed to install a copy of GCC over the Apple one, applied two patches just to get a compile, another two for stability. I'm proud to say I got at least one change made in my name but unhappy I wasted that much time. uTorrent with Windows is still way better. I can't even imagine trying to get rtorrent to run on an NAS, it killed my dual G5 Xserve as it was. Maybe give Transmission a shot? Beyond that I've heard alright things about Enhanced Ctorrent for limited NASes but that's completely banned on quite a few trackers.

Wow sounds like rear end, I thought fink sorted most of that stuff out? Transmission is a pretty good suggestion, I'll give that a shot. (After I get my server to boot, upgrading libc required a reboot and it never came back up...)

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Hello packrats! Wee bit out of the loop (read: I went Mac) old time packrat looking for some advice here.

At me and my two housemate's house we got zero shared diskspace available to put stuff on for i.e. movie watching and so forth, and I being the most savvy of the three would like to replace our current powerhog of a 2GHz Athlon TBird internet gateway box running Ubuntu with something a bit more powertastic and a large bit more storage heavy. But as I said, I am bit out of the loop when it comes to this. I was doing the RAID and storage space thing back when 250 GB IDE drives were ridiculously expensive and the peak of storage was having 1 TB. So what's new?

What I'm looking for is preferably a tower solution with cooled hotswat slots for, say, 8 drives, running from a Linux-friendly kind of PCIe raid controller on a motherboard with one on-board NIC for internet connectivity and one or two Intel NICs for gateway access and a second if necessary for storage access. I speak Linux and not FreeBSD, although I am very quick to adapt if pointed in the right direction.

What I'm thinking of so far in what I am somewhat knowledgeable on;

Some kind of LGA775 motherboard (my biggest woe - picking this for hosting all the expansion cards is difficult)
E8500 Intel Core 2 Duo
8GB DDR2 memory, speed possibly 800MHz
1x SSD system drive, connected by on board SATA
10x 1TB or 1,5TB drives, depending on which local reseller I can barter to give a decent 10x batch price. I don't know what types are good for raid which types are not.
1/2x Intel 1000/100/10 NICs

I'm half-way clueless about which parts to pick for most of this, especially the drives, mobo and raid controller card. I'm concerned as to whether the OP was outdated or not, so I thought I'd ask. Any help getting me up to speed on the new "age" is much appreciated.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Have you guys heard anything about the LG N2R1 pre-built NAS devices? I'm looking for something for my cousin who's a mac user, and need a time-machine compatible NAS that won't require a significant amount of hackery to make work (like time machine over SMB does)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822319006

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

CrazyLittle posted:

Have you guys heard anything about the LG N2R1 pre-built NAS devices? I'm looking for something for my cousin who's a mac user, and need a time-machine compatible NAS that won't require a significant amount of hackery to make work (like time machine over SMB does)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822319006

Time Machine works poorly with any kind of network share, including Airport NASes and even OS X hosts. It worked no better on an Airport Extreme then it did with a $15 piece of poo poo Argosy. Either way it will need to same level of "hackery", including enabling unsupported volumes and potentially creating the sparse image locally.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Synology's Time Machine support is supposed to be pretty decent. Their NAS products are very nice overall as well.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Hey guys do you know where I can get some info an some enterprise grade solid state storage? I'm estimating that my application needs to support 50k concurrent connections all doing random reads. I don't have a lot of data < 5TB and from what I've been reading I would need a huge RAID array with lots of spindles to get this kind of throughput, but I'm sure that this is the exact use case for SSD.

What vendors are selling commercial viable solutions and is it going to be cheaper than the the conventional spindle arrays?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MEAT TREAT posted:

Hey guys do you know where I can get some info an some enterprise grade solid state storage? I'm estimating that my application needs to support 50k concurrent connections all doing random reads. I don't have a lot of data < 5TB and from what I've been reading I would need a huge RAID array with lots of spindles to get this kind of throughput, but I'm sure that this is the exact use case for SSD.

What vendors are selling commercial viable solutions and is it going to be cheaper than the the conventional spindle arrays?

Probably want to ask that here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669

That's the Enterprise Storage megathread. That being said, I know Sun makes a solid state 1U box that should have that much capacity, it's something like $70k msrp.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

friendship waffle posted:

Synology's Time Machine support is supposed to be pretty decent. Their NAS products are very nice overall as well.

That's why I was looking at this LG box - it's supposed to have roughly the same feature set (real TM support for one) while costing about half as much as the Synology box.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Uh, just buy the Synology. They're already really cheap compared to netgear's ReadyNAS product line.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Probably want to ask that here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669

That's the Enterprise Storage megathread. That being said, I know Sun makes a solid state 1U box that should have that much capacity, it's something like $70k msrp.

Whoops, I guess I got the two threads mixed up. But thanks for the info, that box falls within my budget. :)

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
What's the current opinion of Netgear ReadyNAS Duo boxes?

Forgive me if I've missed an obvious opinion, I've searched through the last few pages for ReadyNAS and I'm new to this.

I'm looking at the RND2120 (http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage/ReadyNASDuo/RND2120.aspx), mostly because there's a deal on at the place I'd buy it - they're including a free 2TB drive, and then Netgear's doing a mail in promotion to get another 2TB drive for free from them, so I'd end up with 6TB of space (although one too many drives to go in the box itself).

It sounds like a good deal, but it almost sounds too good to be true - it makes me think there's something lovely about the box, and Google doesn't list many, if any, reviews for it.

I'll have it set up in RAID 1, and all it will be used for is storing movies, maybe serving them to the PS3/WDTV Live. I might use the torrent client, but it's not a priority.

There's another option at the same price for a WD 2TB ShareSpace on clearance, which I could add a second drive to, but this would cost more. Or there's the WD My Book 4TB, but that seems much lower featured and... consumer-y.

So, dumb or not?

Henry Black fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 8, 2010

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Wow, wish we had a promotion like that here in the States. http://www.netgear.co.uk/freedrive.php

I haven't used a ReadyNAS since Netgear acquired Infrant, but before that the boxes were rock solid.

Looks like one of the frequent complaints about it is sub-optimal network speeds. If you're not a speed demon perhaps you might never run into this limitation. I say go for it. And then come back and review it for us in this thread!

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
People with multiple citizenship get the best of everything.

I take it I'm not likely to run in to speed issues just accessing/streaming movies and stuff off it? Would accessing 1080p on it count as being a speed demon?

And yeah, $600 for 6TB of storage and a NAS box is a pretty good deal anywhere, which is why I am so completely dubious of it being anything but a piece of poo poo.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

devmd01 posted:

3. I really don't want to pay for NASLite

I skimmed through the posts after this one and didn't see anything about it. Don't buy naslite. It is complete crap. It is much easier to setup freenas or ubuntu than to try and gouge your eyes out with naslite. You have to do everything in naslite through telnet/ssh. The web interface only goes one way. Information is only passed to the user and you can't do anything from it. Hell if you can get a download for the cd, you can have my cdkey for the software.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have a recommendation on backup software? I have a iomega NAS that came with a copy of Retrospect. I played around with it a bit, but didn't care for it.

What I'm looking for is just a simple backup program that will take a directory of music and mirror it to the NAS. But I would like the backup to not be an archive type file, since I'd like to access it from other computers.

Edit:-- Never mind, was thinking I need backup software when I what I was looking for was file syncing software.

diremonk fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 8, 2010

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

LittleBob posted:

People with multiple citizenship get the best of everything.

I take it I'm not likely to run in to speed issues just accessing/streaming movies and stuff off it? Would accessing 1080p on it count as being a speed demon?

And yeah, $600 for 6TB of storage and a NAS box is a pretty good deal anywhere, which is why I am so completely dubious of it being anything but a piece of poo poo.

I have been using the DUO now for about 6 months and it's a rock solid NAS for my needs. The only problems I ran into for the first couple of weeks was problems with reading and writing at the same time. It turned out to be something weird with the net settings, just changing the MTU fixed it for me. It may have also been my router which can be a bit funky from time to time. I stream from it to my PS3, and use it for all of my music. All in all a nice little box.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I'm looking at upping the storage capacity of my 5x750 RAID5 NAS, and have begun looking at 1 TB+ drives to swap in. What's the manufacturer de jour? I got burned by a few of the Seagate 7200.12s, so I'm not eager to go with them again. I've seen a musings about WD drives with the TLER modifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I think they don't let you do TLER modification anymore.