Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Serenity Dove posted:

That looks identical to the yarn I got given from my class mate for her toddlers socks, although the colours on my ball look a lot less muted. Checking the labels shows a different brand since mine is by Manos and is a silk/wool blend. I really like the colours but that's more when its knitted up. As long as the colours don't pool it self stripes quite nicely. Again this is assuming that this is the same yarn.
V :) V

Nope, this is Malabrigo Lace. I saw some lace pieces worked with it on ravelry and thats when I decided I REALLY hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Knitted this last week from the Noro Men book. Over all I really like the hat. I dont understand why its knitted on 2 needles, if i ever do it again i'll be doing it on 4 in the round. The seam at the back is driving me nuts and I dont have a sewing machine.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Blue_monday posted:

Knitted this last week from the Noro Men book. Over all I really like the hat. I dont understand why its knitted on 2 needles, if i ever do it again i'll be doing it on 4 in the round. The seam at the back is driving me nuts and I dont have a sewing machine.

There are so many patterns for knitting something flat that just should never have a seam. Like socks. And mittens.

I do not get it at all, personally. I have seen some knitters claim to be "afraid" of knitting in the round but I can't imagine it being that much harder than seaming a whole hat so it looks good.

I HATE seaming.

EDIT: Nice hat!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I love that hat Blue_Monday. The colours and cables really work well together.

Personally, I hate Noro yarns and will never ever use them. Is anyone else here like that?

Bob Shadycharacter, I happen to know a woman who is amazing on two straights. She stubbornly refuses to ever go into the realm of knitting in the round; she's been doing it so long that her seams are invisible and you often can't tell she's never touched a circular or dpn in her life. It's rather crazy. But I entirely agree about knitting stuff in the round that is round! I'll even knit large shawls on circulars just because it keeps the weight on my lap when it's gotten large.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

I love that hat Blue_Monday. The colours and cables really work well together.

Personally, I hate Noro yarns and will never ever use them. Is anyone else here like that?

Bob Shadycharacter, I happen to know a woman who is amazing on two straights. She stubbornly refuses to ever go into the realm of knitting in the round; she's been doing it so long that her seams are invisible and you often can't tell she's never touched a circular or dpn in her life. It's rather crazy. But I entirely agree about knitting stuff in the round that is round! I'll even knit large shawls on circulars just because it keeps the weight on my lap when it's gotten large.

Yeah, I mean...to each their own and all that. I knit EVERYTHING on circulars, I haven't used a straight in years now. Unless you count DPNS.

I'm not a huge fan of Noro either. I like the colors and all, but the yarn is just too rough for me to make much use of. I'm a delicate flower!

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?
I'm mostly still just starting (knitting) (and lurking in this thread) but I want to be able to knit everything on circulars- so much easier to carry around.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Zombie Pirate posted:

I'm mostly still just starting (knitting) (and lurking in this thread) but I want to be able to knit everything on circulars- so much easier to carry around.

There's no reason you can't. You just flip back and forth like you would with straights if it's a flat object. You have to worry a little more about length if you're knitting something round, but it's not too much extra.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

I was actually surprised how coarse noro was. I love the colours but I cant ever see myself knitting anything that touches skin.

RE: the seam
I seamed it up with yarn but Its so visible and I really just hate it. Next time I make a Noro order I'll pick up another skein of the colourway and knit another hat, this time in the round.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Blue_monday posted:

I was actually surprised how coarse noro was. I love the colours but I cant ever see myself knitting anything that touches skin.

RE: the seam
I seamed it up with yarn but Its so visible and I really just hate it. Next time I make a Noro order I'll pick up another skein of the colourway and knit another hat, this time in the round.

The only thing I ever made with it was a booga bag - and it's much softer when felted, even partially felted like my bag is. I still wouldn't WEAR it though.

Stupid pretty noro scarves!

Plus it's really expensive. That was my first expensive yarn, I think it actually put me off the good stuff for a while.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That's my main issue with Noro. It's got some amazing colours, but for the price it goes for, I want something with some actual quality. Knots, how rough it feels, and the fact it's nearly as slubby as a first time spinner's yarn are not what I'm expecting out of something that costs as much as it does. Never buying it again.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not a fan of Noro either, although to be fair I've never knit with it. When I felt it in the shop I decided I would never use it. (Edit: especially since it was sitting right next to Malabrigo Silky Merino in the shop... and that stuff is the softest ever.)

I knit everything on circulars, I don't even own a pair of straight needles (except DPNs, of course, I have a crapton of those, for knitting in the round, of course!) I also like that I don't have all the weight of the knitted object on one needle when I get to the end of a row, with the circulars it seems more balanced.

I've never tried seaming, but I'll have to learn... I just started my first garment, and the pattern calls for the shirt to be constructed in three panels (plus sleeves). Oy, it'll be fun...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I have a knit to show off!

Self-designed triangular shawl knit in KnitPicks Palette 'Grass.' I think it only used about 1.5 balls, but I'll weigh it when it's done blocking to find out for sure. This is going to a friend soon, so I have to snag my pictures while I can.

I'm really pleased with it. It grew to be 72 inches across from 55, and 32 inches long from 24.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

^^nice shawl.

I started knitting last month and really wish I had bought circulars instead of straights. Oh well, perhaps I can still sell the set.

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
Beautiful shawl. :swoon:

rex banner, thank you for the sock website! I'm having problems on the gusset, however. :saddowns:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Gusset.htm
"Now we're up to the two original needles that hold the ribbing.
Combine these stitches onto one needle, and then knit across."
Um...

...No? Oh god what do I do, I think I did something wrong.
I picked up the stitches along the side, 16 of them. The stitches for the ribbing were on one needle to begin with? Uh. Uhhh.

Yargh fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 30, 2010

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

I have a knit to show off!

I'm really pleased with it. It grew to be 72 inches across from 55, and 32 inches long from 24.

Ha ha, glad to see that I'm not the only one who blocks on their mattress.

Lovely shawl, by the way! What is the pattern?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Yargh posted:

Beautiful shawl. :swoon:

rex banner, thank you for the sock website! I'm having problems on the gusset, however. :saddowns:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Gusset.htm
"Now we're up to the two original needles that hold the ribbing.
Combine these stitches onto one needle, and then knit across."
Um...

...No? Oh god what do I do, I think I did something wrong.
I picked up the stitches along the side, 16 of them. The stitches for the ribbing were on one needle to begin with? Uh. Uhhh.

You didn't do anything wrong! The instep (top of the foot) stitches can be on two or one needles depending on how you divided them up and if you're using a set of four or five DPNS. Doesn't matter.

Those stitches you picked up along the side of the gusset there - see, you're not quite at the edge where the held stitches are. I would just pick up a few extra or rip them out and pick up the same number but leave a little more space between them. Up to you. Did the instructions tell you to slip the first stitch of each row on the heel flap?

Once you get the picked up stitches in there then you knit across the instep (held stitches) again and pick up the gusset stitches on the other side of the heel flap. Then you can start knitting in the round again and you're home free!

EDIT: I looked at the picture again and you might not even have to pick up more or anything - looks like it's just a bit stretched out. In that case, just start knitting across those held stitches there. Then when you're done with that needle you can pick up the stitches along the other side of the heel flap.

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 30, 2010

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I started knitting my first big project, the Inamorata tank top from Knitty.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTinamorata.php

I'm really just looking for moral support. Tell me I can do it. :ohdear:

256 stitch CO! I'm scared. :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I started knitting my first big project, the Inamorata tank top from Knitty.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTinamorata.php

I'm really just looking for moral support. Tell me I can do it. :ohdear:

256 stitch CO! I'm scared. :(

You can totally do it!

That's quite pretty actually. I thought I didn't like anything from that issue. Huh.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

You can totally do it!

That's quite pretty actually. I thought I didn't like anything from that issue. Huh.

Yeah, I decided to poke through when everyone was saying that nothing was pretty but I really liked this one so there you have it. Here's hoping I don't look like a huge cow in it anyway, I just have a big bust and a tiny waist. I'm doing it in a cotton-acrylic DK that I got from http://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com - Laluca cotton, a cotton/acrylic blend. Total yarn cost was $40 with shipping, as opposed to $110 for the handspun they're using which I absolutely could not justify for a "my first tank top type thing" project.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I'm trying to decide what my next garment project should be. I'm just finishing the straps of a camisole and want to do a sleeved project because I haven't done one in about 4 years, and that one was just bad news all around (for some reason 18 year old me thought a cowboy jacket made of HOT PINK faux suede tape yarn would be totally awesome). I'm torn between two choices.

1) Central Park Hoodie. I've had this in my queue for ages and thought this was going to be the project I'd recut my garment teeth on. However 1) it's going to be about $100 in yarn (with my employee discount) plus as fickle as Vancouver weather is, I doubt it's going to get much colder from here on out. On the other hand by the time I finish the hoodie it could be well into winter again.

2) Que Sera from the latest Knitty. I don't know what it is but I love this pattern, and the cotton and the lace would make it more suitable for the weather. The yarn would cost $50-$60 depending on if I go with the BSA cotton or the cheaper Debbie Bliss Pure Cotton. I'm also considering making this as a retirement/birthday gift for my mom, but I'm not 100% sure it's her style.

Any thoughts?

On a different note, here are two recent FO's for all you foot fetishists.

Prarie Boots from CoCo Knits (both pictures are the same boots, but you can wear them either way). Since they're for the store as a sample my boss picked out the yarn and buttons so I don't totally love the finished look, but it was a super fun, easy project.

First socks! I ended up not really liking how the colors striped up (looked a lot better in the ball - who thought the green fading into purple fading into yellow was a good idea?) but that's ok because they don't really fit! I know what I did wrong though and hopefully future pairs will come out much better. I used 9" circulars for these which, while being almost half the cost of the bamboo DPNs were a major pain at certain points, namely the toe decreases. I'll have to decide if I want to go through that again or just suck it up and spring for the DPNs.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Here's hoping I don't look like a huge cow in it anyway, I just have a big bust and a tiny waist.

I hate to break this to you, but I doubt it'll be very flattering on your figure. I think only the tiniest of tiny women can pull off a top like that :/

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Drei posted:

I have to agree on the stripes there, but they don't look WAY too big. Everyone has a first of a kind project horror story, but maybe those could be your around the house on a cold day socks? :)

On a spinning note: I went to the craft show at my old HS last weekend, and saw my LYS had sent up a small bit of yarn along side a lady spinning on a wheel. We talked for about 15 minutes and I had always had a hunch, but if you have a local fair in the summer/fall where they show sheep, ask about buying the wool after they sheer the sheep. She got over 200 pounds of the stuff in 3 bags for $60, which included merino and first sheer! I love my new to me car, but ugh the timing.

So if you want to get into spinning, but don't have anything close enough to you, check out the craft shows and fairs. I even found a closer gathering of knitters, crocheters, spinners and sewing people since my LYS is an hour away.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
They're actually too small around the ankles, but yeah, the ribbing stretched more than I wanted, so I may have to get some needles a size smaller to do those in the future. I think the main problem is twofold: first, I misread the heel directions and thought that I needed to alternate knit or purl and a slipped stitch on every row, not just the right side row. This had two effects: a heelflap made of bulletproof fabric (Achilles would like them, at least) and I ended up knitting about half again as many rows as the pattern suggested. So instead of picking up all the edge stitches I tried to distribute 16 pickups evenly over the 22, which I believe caused the tightness. Oh well, we live, we learn, we knit some more!

VV
True, but that requires some effort of thinking on my part. I like me my mindless knits!

Drei fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 31, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Drei posted:

They're actually too small around the ankles, but yeah, the ribbing stretched more than I wanted, so I may have to get some needles a size smaller to do those in the future. I think the main problem is twofold: first, I misread the heel directions and thought that I needed to alternate knit or purl and a slipped stitch on every row, not just the right side row. This had two effects: a heelflap made of bulletproof fabric (Achilles would like them, at least) and I ended up knitting about half again as many rows as the pattern suggested. So instead of picking up all the edge stitches I tried to distribute 16 pickups evenly over the 22, which I believe caused the tightness. Oh well, we live, we learn, we knit some more!

You could also just do the ribbing on less stitches and have an increase round where you switch over to the leg. Several of the patterns I've knit so far do it that way, I like it better than having yet another needle. :)

And wow, that must have been a tight heel, yeah!

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 31, 2010

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Micomicona I based it off a stitch in Haapsalu Shawl (which makes me so happy as I'm a total Haapsalu lace nut) called crow's foot, and the edge is a top-down garter variation of a typical Haapsalu border. When I have the time, I'm going to write/chart it and give it out as a free pattern. It was actually relatively fast since I used fingering weight and 6.5mm(US 10.5) needles. If anyone wants the pattern when I write it up, I can link it after write-up--supposing that's alright here.

Drei, I love the Central Park Hoodie, but I just took a look at Que Sera. What a tough choice! It depends on how fast you knit as to which you want to do. I always knit lace faster than cables, so I'd likely get it done while the weather was still ok to wear it. It really just depends on what you want. I love those socks too! As for needles, I think DPN's are just dandy, but if you get a longer cable needle and magic loop it might work out better for you. I'm using a 2mm 80cm long needle right now, and I'm surprised at how nice it is. (Still won't give up my dpn's any time soon though).

Captain Stinkybutt, you can do it! After you do that first huge project, all the little ones that follow seem to go that much faster. At least that's how it was after I finished the Summer Triangular Shawl.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Drei, I like my socks almost strangling my foot, I'm weird :( I thought they looked a bit loose around the top and thought you meant that about not fitting. And I hear you about mindless knits. I wouldn't know where to start to adjust a pattern, which is probably why I'm scared to do anything more than basic.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

http://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com

Why did you have to show this to me.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

The power of suggestion: I saw the link, then saw aardvarklet's post, and STILL clicked knowing that I would be equally tempted. NO NO NO

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

elbow posted:

I hate to break this to you, but I doubt it'll be very flattering on your figure. I think only the tiniest of tiny women can pull off a top like that :/

I had another shirt like it that I liked well enough. Well, that had a similar shape to it, it didn't look anything like it otherwise but yeah. That's the reason I decided I would probably like this. Even if it doesn't, oh well, at least I'll have made a larger project and might not be so intimidated by others. It's going pretty well so far! Except I'm only on row, like, 9.

Also HA HA HA SHARE IN MY PLAGUE OF DBNY. A hideous website with awesome deals.

Speaking of which, why is it that every yarn store I go to has a hideous web page?

http://www.knitche.com/

They have the best website I've seen for LYSes. Ergh. Online yarn retailers are usually fine, Ravelry is great but man these local stores.

Also thank you guys for the support. :unsmith: You give me warm fuzzies.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ozma posted:

The power of suggestion: I saw the link, then saw aardvarklet's post, and STILL clicked knowing that I would be equally tempted. NO NO NO

Thank god they don't have any of the colors I'm looking for or it might have been ugly.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm unemployed and THIS ISN'T HELPING.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Drei posted:

Vancouver weather

Hello, fellow Vancouver knitter!

Which LYS do you work at?

On topic: I am still planning on posting FO sock pics! I swear!

I'm thinking about doing a destash in SA Mart, but I need to see if I have enough to merit it. Aardvarklet inspired me...Of course, buying her yarn didn't exactly help my stash problem.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I'm at Urban Yarns (the Point Grey location, but a few of my samples reside at the Edgemont location!)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

1. What the gently caress
2. Why would you do this to me
3. What the hell

I'm up to $34 $42, dammit. Is there anyone in New York (or the tristate area or anywhere nearby) who wants to pool together so we get free shipping ($100+)?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 1, 2010

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Anne Whateley posted:

1. What the gently caress
2. Why would you do this to me
3. What the hell

I'm up to $34 $42, dammit. Is there anyone in New York (or the tristate area or anywhere nearby) who wants to pool together so we get free shipping ($100+)?

Oh god, I'm so tempted...

I have family in New Jersey that we can send it to. If you get more people, tell me, and I'll jump in.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Drei posted:

I'm at Urban Yarns (the Point Grey location, but a few of my samples reside at the Edgemont location!)

Ah! Goon proximity, weird.

I've only been to the Point Grey location once, as I live on the North Shore, but I hit up Edgemont every now and then.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

in regards to online shopping websites being ugly: I find most craft sites in general are really ugly, yarn being no exception. I also dont understand why yarn.com has the "next page" button way, way on the bottom of the page. I nearly missed Malabrigo worsted because of it.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Speaking of which, why is it that every yarn store I go to has a hideous web page?

They have the best website I've seen for LYSes. Ergh. Online yarn retailers are usually fine, Ravelry is great but man these local stores.

Purl's site is pretty nice, and it looks like elann.com just redesigned their site to make it not so terrible.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Personally, one of my LYS's has one of the better designed sites I've seen. There's a few things I wish were different, but in relation to other stores, I certainly won't complain!

Knitted Together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Quackmere Yarn, officially the yarn-snobbiest, most elitist loving yarn I've ever heard of. Yours for only $193 a skein!