Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Crappy phone camera picture but you get the idea. I initially wanted a different colour scheme but they only had full right glove/blocker in matching colours so I went for a more plain one - I think I like it a lot more!

edit: holy loving table breakages batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I went for the poke check.. and someone side swiped me and used me as a wall to stop. My neck and head hurt really bad right now. I think it was a knee.. or a head.. I dunno.

In other news.. I completely blow in goal anymore.. wtf.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Well I'm off to a hot start at this whole goalie thing.

Game 1: Win 8-2, first goal I let in between my pad and the post like a jackass and the second was a rocket glove-side from the slot.
Game 2: Win 4-1, only goal was the first shot of the game, again glove side, that went off the post and in :argh:

I'm just praying I can keep it up. I'm getting really comfortable back there and I have a pretty good team in front of me. I credit all my success to reading this thread for the last few months, for real. Shopping cart stance, help with the butterfly, everything - I owe it all to you guys :3:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I'm about to just pick this glove up but I wanna see if anyone has has anything to say about it first:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-glove-velocity-7400se-sr.html

Looks like a fairly solid glove.. decent price.. colors I want.

Also, when a stick says 27" or so, is that the paddle length? How the hell do I size a stick online.. I'm pretty sure any measurements on my old stick are rubbed off or taped over.

e2: Yeah.. from heel to top of the paddle.. :downs:

Polish fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 27, 2010

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
I had to play out yesterday because there were already 4 goalies. Goddammit I hate playing out. Aniki was there and had someone tape the game, hopefully he got the part where the blueline monster grabbed my skate and pulled me to the ice.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Joey Walnuts posted:

I had to play out yesterday because there were already 4 goalies. Goddammit I hate playing out. Aniki was there and had someone tape the game, hopefully he got the part where the blueline monster grabbed my skate and pulled me to the ice.

I had the opposite problem last night.

Pick-Up #1 was for the "Bronze" lower league guys, only two of us goalies showed up and we had a blast for the full 90 minutes.
Pick-Up #2 was for everybody else, which meant a lot of the "Gold" and "Platinum" guys showed up with some "silver" guys mixed in. No goalies showed up though so me and the other bronze goalie stayed and did our best to hold our ground against some wicked shots while fighting pure exhaustion. For another 90 minutes.

Anybody know how I might have gotten a pretty decent gash on my kneecap? It's the darndest thing. Kneepads on the way!

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)

gigabitnokie posted:

Anybody know how I might have gotten a pretty decent gash on my kneecap? It's the darndest thing. Kneepads on the way!

Seems like every time I have a good game I get some sort of mystery injury. This week I bashed my blocker-hand thumb and 1/4 of my nail is purple underneath, although I remember when it happened cause it hurt like a bitch. Another reason to get new gloves I guess.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

I got a lot more footage than last time. I still haven't edited down the clips yet, but I did manage to get some footage of me making some good saves for once. I still see a lot of the same problems from last time, but I at least have visual evidence that I can stop the puck at times.

Also at the start of my last shift I took a really hard shot off of my side, which left a nice bruise. I think that I either need to either lose weight or get a bigger C/A.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When you guys film your games, do you do it yourself or do you have someone sit there and do it for you? I'd like to get some video of me playing so I can determine why I suck suck suck, but I'm not sure what the best way to do this is.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

When you guys film your games, do you do it yourself or do you have someone sit there and do it for you? I'd like to get some video of me playing so I can determine why I suck suck suck, but I'm not sure what the best way to do this is.

I have someone sit in the stands with a small digital camera, the Kodak equivalent of a Flip camera, on a monopod. It actually works really well, but it's rare when the timing works out for me to get someone to film me.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
I think I have a problem: I'm addicted to playing. I can't stop! I play 3 pickups a week, 1 league game a week, and I sub for other teams when I can. Sometimes two games a day, sometimes 3-4 games in as many days. When I get hurt, I rest up just enough so that I can ignore the pain. When asked to play sub, I'll do it at a moment's notice... even if it's the game right before or after my regular league game. I'll play an 11pm game when I have a 7am game the following morning.

My name is Hazed_blue, and I have "Plays-too-much-itis." And it's leading to "Body-kept-together-with-string-and-staples-ism." I need help. :saddowns:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

drat, i am so tempted to get a pair of those icebergs, that's a hell of a price

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would wear a pair of those 34+1 Chicago. No lie.

Also, anyone notice that Price switched to Epic pads from his old V7500s or whatever he was wearing. With the switch to a no-break medial roll pad, I wonder if we'll see him in Reebok gear next year?

Also also, this just in: Revoke pads still loving ugly.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 28, 2010

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Hazed_blue posted:

I think I have a problem: I'm addicted to playing. I can't stop! I play 3 pickups a week, 1 league game a week, and I sub for other teams when I can. Sometimes two games a day, sometimes 3-4 games in as many days. When I get hurt, I rest up just enough so that I can ignore the pain. When asked to play sub, I'll do it at a moment's notice... even if it's the game right before or after my regular league game. I'll play an 11pm game when I have a 7am game the following morning.

My name is Hazed_blue, and I have "Plays-too-much-itis." And it's leading to "Body-kept-together-with-string-and-staples-ism." I need help. :saddowns:
I wish I could suffer from your disease. Right now the only ice time I can get is my one league game a week (100 miles away) and being the #1 replacement call for a couple of back to back 3 on 3 mini rink games once a week. Once a month or so I'll find a two hour pickup game in town. I'd absolutely kill for local pickup games twice or more a week. I'm in good enough shape now to be able to take it without killing myself. When they do rarely have one pickup game a week at my local rinks, there's usually at least four goalies who show up.

I'm still considering buying a 'hockey membership' at the mini rink where they have three hours a day of open ice if you pay $500 a year. I'm just worried I'll switch from my food service job where I can skate at the 3pm open session most days to a normal adult job where it'll be wasted money.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Martytoof posted:

I would wear a pair of those 34+1 Chicago. No lie.

Also, anyone notice that Price switched to Epic pads from his old V7500s or whatever he was wearing. With the switch to a no-break medial roll pad, I wonder if we'll see him in Reebok gear next year?

Also also, this just in: Revoke pads still loving ugly.

No one cares about gay Price.

Sorry I hate Price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polish posted:

Sorry I hate Price.

I hate ... you, Polish :negative:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yeah but I don't cry and throw a hissy fit when I get pulled during the playoffs vs the Flyers two years ago.. and then sit on the bench and mope.

Yeah I went there.

Had ice this morning.. roller tonight.. this back and forth poo poo is annoying. I forgot I could slide on ice this morning.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Why do skaters seem to want to do nothing but deke? Sticks and pucks is usually pretty bad, but even when I've played drop-in games, most of them just don't like to shoot unless they're four feet from the net and I'm not on my skates anymore. I've seen, maybe, 50 shots and 200 dekes. And it doesn't make a lot of sense because I'm usually giving up a lot of net on one side.

Somebody needs to invent a shooting machine.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
They want to impress the scouts in the stands.. duh.

And there is a shooting machine.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=puck+shooting+machine&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Why do skaters seem to want to do nothing but deke? Sticks and pucks is usually pretty bad, but even when I've played drop-in games, most of them just don't like to shoot unless they're four feet from the net and I'm not on my skates anymore. I've seen, maybe, 50 shots and 200 dekes. And it doesn't make a lot of sense because I'm usually giving up a lot of net on one side.

Somebody needs to invent a shooting machine.

No one is usually playing defense at drop-in, so they have the time to do whatever they want. At that point it becomes a waiting game and if you commit too early, then they can deke around you for an easy scoring chance.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Aniki posted:

No one is usually playing defense at drop-in, so they have the time to do whatever they want. At that point it becomes a waiting game and if you commit too early, then they can deke around you for an easy scoring chance.
This, this, a thousand times this.

I hate hate hate roller hockey pickups for this exact reason. Unless, on the off chance you get a half-way decent pickup where they actually try to play defense, there are maybe six or seven shots that come from more than two feet out of the paint.

For a roller goalie such as myself who's very dependent on angles and his butterfly, this sucks poo poo.

I get very frustrated.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Kinda pissed.. they are moving open hockey on Sundays from 7am to 12pm.. so that means no more Sunday hockey for me.. lame.

I could go to the other rink.. which is dirty and usually has 6 goalies show up.

Also, I am getting hit an awful lot in the head recently with pucks, knees, bodies. And two guys fell into me today and my knee bent the other way.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Polish posted:

Kinda pissed.. they are moving open hockey on Sundays from 7am to 12pm.. so that means no more Sunday hockey for me.. lame.

I could go to the other rink.. which is dirty and usually has 6 goalies show up.

Also, I am getting hit an awful lot in the head recently with pucks, knees, bodies. And two guys fell into me today and my knee bent the other way.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm not sure your knee is supposed to go the other direction.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?
Hey look, I bought a new toy. Er, toy dryer...

It's a Peet Advantage dryer with glove extensions. I am SUPER happy with it. I had been using convection boot dryers for my skates, and while that worked well enough, I wanted something similar for my gloves. The hair dryer worked okay, but it would always leave the nash material hard and crusty, and it would smell like hot death in the process.

So anyway, I bought this thing online. It quietly forces air through the tubes and circulates it into the gloves and boots. The glove extensions allow the air to be forced all the way into the finger tips, which is what attracted me to it in the first place. There's a switch that allows you to use hot air, but I kept it off. It also uses an ionizer on both settings.

Bottom line? I played for an hour-and-a-half this morning. The boots and gloves were soaked when they went on the device. I set the timer for two-and-a-half hours. All the equipment came off dry, cool, and completely odor-neutral (even better than when I had used boiling water!). What's more, the nash material was soft and flexible, despite being dry. I am amazed. Very, very much worth the money.

You can get them at ManVenture Outpost for the cheapest price. They also have the glove extensions available.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I just instantly bought that. I didn't know it existed.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Dear god, I've been playing absolutely terrible this current session in roller. I mean, the team's doing well, 7-2 right now. But, I have 47 GA, for a whopping 5.22 GAA.

All of a sudden, I cannot shut down my 5-hole fast enough. I have somehow lost all form when going down, and happen to let almost anything go in. Any particular drills or anything I can do to work on this?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
IMO, for roller, a 5 GAA for beer league type play isn't that terrible. I always though between 4 and 5 was about average, and a team needs to score 5 or 6 to win in roller regularly anyways.

I understand the frustration, however.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Rick Grimes posted:

Dear god, I've been playing absolutely terrible this current session in roller. I mean, the team's doing well, 7-2 right now. But, I have 47 GA, for a whopping 5.22 GAA.

All of a sudden, I cannot shut down my 5-hole fast enough. I have somehow lost all form when going down, and happen to let almost anything go in. Any particular drills or anything I can do to work on this?

I am also looking for some drills, any drills, but try to work on getting your stick in place. Always keep your stick on the ground and when you go down make sure it is in front of your five hole. I still have problems with my five hole but going from roller to ice hockey really REALLY helped me.

One thing I do (I have about an hour of free ice time per week where I can do anything I want pretty much) is set up 3 pucks right outside the crease. I use those as reference points to where shots are coming from. So I usually put one to my right and "stop" that with a standing.. then shuffle/t-push over to the "shot" from center, and then butterfly slide over to the shot from the circle. I really try to pay attention to my form and do it slowly, making sure I first turn my head, turn body/stick, then turn feet (not sure if I am doing it right or not, but I think its working?).

I find myself during warmups or even during practices where I am seeing a lot of shots.. that I rarely go down into butterfly. This is due to the fact that it is exhausting when you are facing 800+ shots. But anyways.. I find it easier to stop the five hole shots by just closing my legs while standing. Obviously during actual play you need to go down and such but for the most part simply standing and closing my legs works pretty good.

e: The last roller game I played we lost 7-1. It was 2-0 going into the second period.. and then the team (or myself?) just fell apart. I would of liked to see a shot count in that game.. I prolly made 50 some saves..

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

yeah 5.22 isn't bad at all, you would be 3rd lowest out of 9 in my beer league. The leader it's me :toot: is only at 4.5.

However, if you feel like you're playing badly that's a different story. I can only speak for myself, but when I have a bad game it's because I'm not focused and my brain isn't working very actively.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

crusader donkey posted:

yeah 5.22 isn't bad at all, you would be 3rd lowest out of 9 in my beer league. The leader it's me :toot: is only at 4.5.

However, if you feel like you're playing badly that's a different story. I can only speak for myself, but when I have a bad game it's because I'm not focused and my brain isn't working very actively.

This is my main problem.. I am fairly technically sound and can make great saves and be in position. But it seems my mind just wanders and I lose focus for even a second.. bam I get screwed. It sucks because I am always thinking of stupid poo poo all the time.

I started humming the gremlins theme to myself the other day.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Polish posted:

This is my main problem.. I am fairly technically sound and can make great saves and be in position. But it seems my mind just wanders and I lose focus for even a second.. bam I get screwed. It sucks because I am always thinking of stupid poo poo all the time.

I started humming the gremlins theme to myself the other day.
I find this helps, actually. Kinda absentmindedly singing a song when I'm playing keeps me pretty focused. Maybe it's a zen thing? Best of all, it confuses the gently caress out of opposing forwards when you break out into "City by the Bay" during the middle of the play.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

brosef deluxe posted:

I find this helps, actually. Kinda absentmindedly singing a song when I'm playing keeps me pretty focused. Maybe it's a zen thing? Best of all, it confuses the gently caress out of opposing forwards when you break out into "City by the Bay" during the middle of the play.

Oh man I had a guy when we first started up our team who would sing at the top of his lungs while playing defense. Ave Maria was his personal favorite but him and I had a pretty awesome harmony going with Hooked on a Feeling one time. I miss playing with that guy it hasn't been the same without him :( He worked so hard every shift he threw up in the locker room after more than a couple games.

Stuff like that helps me stay loose but once the puck is coming my way I have to focus because my mechanics aren't especially strong.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
My glove was absolutely on FIRE tonight in our 6-3 win to get us tied for first place. All 3 goals were on cross crease 2 on 1s that I can't get too upset over letting in.

We also made our team name official - "Themoff" - I hear it's hard to beat themoff. ;)

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I had one of those weird sessions where I didn't feel like I was playing particularly well, yet I somehow managed to do just enough to make the save even down to the point where I was able to redirect a shot away from the net with the very tip of my toe. Joey Walnuts and I were rotating on the same end every 10 minutes and combined we held the other team to a 40+ minute scoreless streak, which was pretty cool.

I also signed up for a tryout for the Summer League at the Ice Den, it's Wednesday night. I suspect that the tryout is mainly geared for skaters, but at the very least, I should be able to talk to the hockey director in person and work something out so that I can start playing in some real games and not just open hockey.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I suspect that the tryout is mainly geared for skaters

Yep. That's ok though...you still get a free skate and you'll get to see what kind of competition you'll be up against. Wednesday nights are weird. You have some absolutely terrible players and then you have some guys that really should be playing one or two leagues up. Either way, it's a pretty decent night to play. I wish I could get back on a team but the 11:15 wednesday night games just don't work for me.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Tonight is going to be interesting. I'm just getting over the flu. Yesterday my temperature was 102.7. Today it's 99 so I am being retarded and playing.

edit: And now it's back up at 100, so I won't be playing :( Hopefully I can find a sub.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 5, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I'm being so lazy. I've had these last two weeks off and I just know I'm going to play like poo poo when I get back into it next Tuesday. Stupid awesome weather, making me want to do stuff outside <:mad:>

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Martytoof posted:

Man I'm being so lazy. I've had these last two weeks off and I just know I'm going to play like poo poo when I get back into it next Tuesday. Stupid awesome weather, making me want to do stuff outside <:mad:>

Come shake off the rust at the 4pad tomorrow, 1-3.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paulocaust posted:

Come shake off the rust at the 4pad tomorrow, 1-3.

Dang, I'm on campus tomorrow until 5. I completely forgot I said I'd come out. I'm such a liar :v:

On the upside, the remaining three Tuesday games I play have all been moved up an hour to 10pm so I might actually make it home before midnight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Martytoof posted:

The weather is getting to me too. I played tonight and I just didn't have any energy.. I wasn't really into the game. I think I need to go to the doctor to figure out why I am so tired all of the drat time. It also doesn't help that on Friday I got to play with my first ice team again. This was my chance to possibly get back on the team for the summer season. The first twenty five minutes I was making incredible saves.. in position for every shot, loving perfect. Then all of a sudden I just fell apart and every other shot went behind me. I just kinda crashed and was exhausted, I don't know what the hell.. it was really REALLY demoralizing. I do this quite often.. play great for 20-30 minutes and then just fall apart and let in everything.. it is so frustrating.

I still haven't ordered that new glove I need and now my pads and blocker are one step away from Craigslist. I am pretty suprised at how long they lasted considering what I put them through (RBK 3k.. lasted about 2 years).

Maybe I just need a break.. been playing 3-4 times a week for the past few months.

• Locked thread