Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Damnit, I want to upgrade my Yaesu HT from a 5R so bad but must resist! This thread isn't helping, the 8R looks so awesome! I like the Kenwood tri-band HT too since it does a full 5 watts on 220 (a band used around here) and SSB reception. 6 meters on HT is of very limited use.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jose Pointero posted:

Well I popped my D-Star cherry...

I was going to be lazy and not post about my new toy but now I have to :argh: I mean nice radio :shobon:

Oh hey what's this a bag?

(I just noticed while taking these pictures that my bag from AES has no AES markings on it. :?:

It's a box! I wonder what it is...

That's a mighty nice lookin' box you got there, sure would hate to see you not open it

Who cares about the manual, what's underneath?

That looks pretty sexy, what does it look like put together?

Was there anything else in the bag? Why, yes, there was!

What does it look like on your new radio?

Hmm... that doesn't look quite right.

That's much better! Maybe the VX-5 won't tip over all the time anymore.

Wait, the the stock ducky antenna is terrible! You're not just going to use that, are you?

Of course not, I still have my Nagoya NA-771 that works beautifully; the VX-8 is also bigger than the VX-5 so it won't be as tippy with the heavy-duty whip on the top.

Can I get a look close up?

I haven't gotten a ton of use out of it yet, since my programming cable from Kawa hasn't come in the mail yet (there's no loving way I'm going to program 1000 memories by hand); I've been playing around with FTBVX8 and I think I might just end up forking over the $15 for the full license. (Although the point must be made again that I shouldn't have to pay money to use a $400 radio, but whatever.)

One of the neatest features that I've been using (so far) is the auto-muting dual watch (or whatever you want to call it). You can listen to broadcast radio (or Shortwave, I think) on VFO A while scanning on VFO B; if you do this while VFO B is selected (the numbers are large) and you have the mute menu item set correctly the broadcast on VFO A will partially or completely mute while there's activity on VFO B. Really cool!

Jose Pointero posted:

It's also not exactly fast from what I understand. I think as time goes by there will probably be 2+ GHz modules available to provide faster access.
AFAIK the 1.2GHz setup can handle up to 128kb data transfers, so while not competing with FIOS it's not exactly slow, either.

Personally, I also think that the rules are going to be changed for wider bandwith/faster data modes on 1.2GHz, since manufacturers are starting to add that band standard to their radios. The manufacturing tolerances/feedline limitations/antenna gain requirements will, IMHO, make 2.4 GHz unlikely to be included standard in radios anytime soon.

Radio Nowhere posted:

Damnit, I want to upgrade my Yaesu HT from a 5R so bad but must resist! This thread isn't helping, the 8R looks so awesome!
Mwahahaha *rubs hands together* I'M NOT HELPING

nmfree fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 3, 2010

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I have that Comet stubby HT antenna for my 5R, works great on 440 but very limited coverage on 2M obviously. O and you got a 8R :argh:

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 28, 2019

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Jose Pointero posted:

Did Yaesu change the menu system from the 7R? That was really the only gripe I had with it.
I don't know how different the menu system is between the two, since I've never used a -7. If I hadn't have been in such a hurry when I bought this (I was 30 minutes behind schedule), I would have played with a couple of radios before buying this one.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
Can anyone recommend a good stub antenna for the 8R that does okay for 2m? Around here 440 is absolutely dead, everyone's on the 2 meter band, and I hate the rubber duck that came with my 8R.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Prince of Dicks posted:

Can anyone recommend a good stub antenna for the 8R that does okay for 2m? Around here 440 is absolutely dead, everyone's on the 2 meter band, and I hate the rubber duck that came with my 8R.

Stub antennas are for people who don't care about mad gain yo. Graybeards love it when you said mad gain by the way.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
I don't care because most of the time I'll be using an external anyway. But the few times I'm not I would rather have a crappy small antenna than a crappy tall one.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Prince of Dicks posted:

I don't care because most of the time I'll be using an external anyway. But the few times I'm not I would rather have a crappy small antenna than a crappy tall one.

I don't know terribly much about antenna brands, but I can't imagine you'd go wrong with anything by comet or diamond. I'd just hop on gigaparts/universal radio, and see what they've got that fits your ht. I know they both make various stub antennas, raging from stupid small but also attenuating your signal, to small but probably as good as a stock rubber ducky.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 1, 2010

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Prince of Dicks posted:

As long as you understand that a stubby is not going to work all that great, the Comet ($30) in my pictures above seems to be halfway decent (and has gotten decent reviews on eHam as well). Otherwise, if I could find a short Nagoya (all I can find are telescopic), I'd say that would be worth the money, too, since they're so cheap on eBay.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

nmfree posted:

That looks pretty sexy, what does it look like put together?

That's a drat cool radio, I didn't know those had aprs functionality built in. Lame how you have to either forgo an external speaker/mic, or use their speaker/mic. It seems you need to buy their own gps puck too.

Planning on using the bluetooth functionality? Is it vox or ptt transmissions with bluetooth headsets?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

blugu64 posted:

That's a drat cool radio, I didn't know those had aprs functionality built in. Lame how you have to either forgo an external speaker/mic, or use their speaker/mic. It seems you need to buy their own gps puck too.
I'm p. sure I've seen at least one cheap speaker/mic, but v0v I haven't looked all that hard.

As for the GPS... it should technically be possible to hack in your own GPS unit, but everything is so locked down in the built-in TNC that it wouldn't be worth the work, really.

blugu64 posted:

Planning on using the bluetooth functionality? Is it vox or ptt transmissions with bluetooth headsets?
Eventually, yeah; there are some menu adjustments for the built-in VOX that works with the built-in mic, and a separate VOX setting for BT.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
The next model will be the VX-8GR which has the GPS unit built into the radio (no seperate puck).

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

So it turns out I owe K2PBO a beer, and I didn't even know it!

I bought a programming cable for my new VX-8R from Kawamall on eBay; I've purchased several cables from them before and they've all worked beautifully for me. Until now.

To stay ahead of the technology curve ( :v: ), this cable is the USB model as opposed to the serial model. Of course, all this is is a USB-Serial interface built into the USB plug with the standard serial cable attached. After plugging it into several different computers, I still couldn't get it to work; a good deal of cursing/rebooting/retrying, I was about ready to email Kawa when I looked on Google one last time for a solution. This time, I found a post on QRZ where K2PBO suggested trying a different set of drivers (for a GPS this time)- SUCCESS!

I wasn't looking forward to inputting all of those memories by hand. :sweatdrop:

nmfree fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 2, 2010

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nmfree posted:

So it turns out I owe K2PBO a beer, and I didn't even know it!

I bought a programming cable for my new VX-8R from Kawamall on eBay; I've purchased several cables from them before and they've all worked beautifully for me. Until now.

To stay ahead of the technology curve ( :v: ), this cable is the USB model as opposed to the serial model. Of course, all this is a USB-Serial interface built into the USB plug with the standard serial cable attached. After plugging it into several different computers, I couldn't get it to work; a good deal of cursing/rebooting/retrying, I was about ready to email Kawa when I looked on Google one last time for a solution. This time, I found a post on QRZ where K2PBO suggested trying a different set of drivers (for a GPS this time)- SUCCESS!

I wasn't looking forward to inputting all of those memories by hand. :sweatdrop:

Mind linking that post? I've been having that exact same problem with my Kawa cable for my 7R.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

wolrah posted:

Mind linking that post? I've been having that exact same problem with my Kawa cable for my 7R.
Here's the post, but I'll save you some time and link directly to the download. I think it also helps to have the cable unplugged while installing the software.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Just passed all 3 exams about an hour ago.

I'll be eagerly awaiting my call-sign so I can start working on Echolink.

Hopefully I'll make some money over the summer and invest in a used HF rig. (Does anyone know of a particular rig that happens to pop up on eBay or in swap meets for a decent price?)

xergm fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 3, 2010

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

xergm posted:

Just passed all 3 exams about an hour ago.

I'll be eagerly awaiting my call-sign so I can start working on Echolink.

Hopefully I'll make some money over the summer and invest in a used HF rig. (Does anyone know of a particular rig that happens to pop up on eBay or in swap meets for a decent price?)

Congrats! I'd recommend the FT-817ND, it's extremely low power, but affordable.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
What software are you guys using to program your 8Rs?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

AtomicMonsters posted:

Congrats! I'd recommend the FT-817ND, it's extremely low power, but affordable.

I've looked at that before and it looks great for QRP. I'll be sure to keep a lookout for that when I have money to buy, but for a little more, the FT-857D outputs 100 watts.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

xergm posted:

I've looked at that before and it looks great for QRP. I'll be sure to keep a lookout for that when I have money to buy, but for a little more, the FT-857D outputs 100 watts.

That it does, but you'll have to power it. For what it's worth, I've had great luck using a jerry-rigged computer power supply. They're not at all surgical in their precision, but they're cheap.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I've actually seen that. I know I have a few laying around, but I don't know if they output the proper current on the 12V line.

I guess we'll see in the coming months, but for now, I'm itching to get on Echolink.

Edit:
If someone wants to add me to the list on the OP, that would be awesome. I was already interested in amateur radio before this thread, but I'm sure this thread contributed in me getting off my rear end and getting one.

I want from non-ham to Extra on my first try. Now I'm awaiting my callsign.

xergm fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 3, 2010

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Prince of Dicks posted:

What software are you guys using to program your 8Rs?

nmfree posted:

I've been playing around with FTBVX8 and I think I might just end up forking over the $15 for the full license.
I went ahead and pulled the trigger and paid for the FTBVX8; it's only $15, and it works well enough for my needs.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

xergm posted:

I want from non-ham to Extra on my first try. Now I'm awaiting my callsign.

No-Code Extras are the coolest extras. :hfive:

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
I was on a repeater today and some greybeard would talk for 2 or 3 minutes at a time about how he's trying to get rid of some egreetings toolbar on his computer, so when I finally got a word I recommended he uninstall and reinstall his browser and another guy said it wouldn't work and the first guy said he'd try emailing tech support which could take days if they ever do reply :downs:

I'm probably gonna sell my 8R lol

nmfree posted:

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and paid for the FTBVX8; it's only $15, and it works well enough for my needs.

Now I'm confused

Prince of Dicks fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 3, 2010

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

blugu64 posted:

drat right. The administering VEs were amazed when I breezed through the Tech in 2 minutes and got 100%.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Prince of Dicks posted:

I'm probably gonna sell my 8R lol
no dont :(

Prince of Dicks posted:

Now I'm confused
In my earlier post, I said that I was probably going to buy the software, and then in my reply I said that I did, and that I use FTBVX8 to program my VX-8. It's really not that bad, and certainly a better deal than the "official" Yaesu software that costs $65.

If there is other software out there that can program the VX-8 I haven't seen it.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

blugu64 posted:

Here's a good way to piss off the OFs:

When asked if you're a no-code Extra look all :confused: and say, "Is there any other kind?"

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
As requested in IRC chat...

We have a ham who gets liquored up and hits the statewide linked repeater system every other night, only to be trolled incessantly by a handful of operators. Here's a brief glimpse of ham radio at it's finest.

A few things about Ralph (WAD):

- In order to make sure he complies with the 10 minute rule, he'll ID his station with virtually every transmission, sometimes 2 or 3 times per transmission.
- He usually plays traffic cop, although tonight he didn't get the chance.
- He can never remember call signs and makes up a nickname for people, as you'll soon hear.

- WAD kicks in at 0:46. The others using the call sign are just mocking him. It builds to a crescendo around 4:30, then kind of peters out since he starts to lose fine motor control and his transmissions get spotty. I hopped in around 5:30 to poke him with a stick, but then he left.

- Usually the trolls stop once Ralph leaves. Tonight, not so much. Right before recording started, the troll said 'rear end' twice. This one stops being interesting around 1:30, but I don't have an audio editor on this computer to cut it out.

- The troll one more time with a commentary on the FCC, the future of ham radio, and hams themselves. This one dies off at 1:10.

Oh yes, always fun in Dirty Jersey.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers

nmfree posted:

no dont :(

HTs just aren't fun for me, the repeaters here are dead unless it's greybeards talking about (what else) their radio setups. I was wanting to step up to HF with a base or mobile of some kind, but some people convinced me to buy a HT as my first radio. I wish I had ignored them and just buckled down and gotten my General so I could start using HF. Haha actually I'll probably end up just getting out of amatuer radio altogether

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

BigHustle posted:

I think every area's got one. Ours hangs out on vhf simplex calling, but is friendly.

tonynaia
Dec 31, 2004

BigHustle posted:

We have a ham who gets liquored up and hits the statewide linked repeater system every other night, only to be trolled incessantly by a handful of operators. Here's a brief glimpse of ham radio at it's finest.

A few things about Ralph (WAD):

- In order to make sure he complies with the 10 minute rule, he'll ID his station with virtually every transmission, sometimes 2 or 3 times per transmission.
- He usually plays traffic cop, although tonight he didn't get the chance.
- He can never remember call signs and makes up a nickname for people, as you'll soon hear.

Oh yes, always fun in Dirty Jersey.

What repeater system is this guy on? W2NJR? I swear I've heard him before on 2 meters.

Edit: Although he's saying 28.450 USB. So I have no idea.

tonynaia fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 4, 2010

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

tonynaia posted:

What repeater system is this guy on? W2NJR? I swear I've heard him before on 2 meters.

Edit: Although he's saying 28.450 USB. So I have no idea.

He was on W2NJR. From what I gather, he either runs two rigs at the same time and was trying to get someone to join him on 10m, or he was so drunk he forgot what frequency he was operating on.

One of the regulars said he's talked to the guy when he isn't sloshed and he's a pretty smart guy. The problem is when he hits the mic after having a few too many. His shenanigans got him kicked off the JSARS repeaters a few weeks back and there's another couple of area repeaters he's banned from as well.

The trolls were really bad last night. They usually stop after Ralph stops transmitting, but the one doing the Curly Howard voice just kept on trucking for another 20 minutes. I'm guessing that it's the same guy who sits on the radio all day until people get a good conversation going then starts kerchunking the repeaters so we can't talk anymore.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 28, 2019

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Jose Pointero posted:

I see you finally got around to making some recordings, that poo poo's crazy man. What's with the Mickey Mouse voice? I guess he thinks that's funny? What an immature dipshit.

On the other hand though, at least you have something interesting to hear on 2M. I think I've told this story before, but the funniest stuff I've heard was back when I was still living in Waco. The diverse population of geezers and college kids on the repeaters there led to some interesting exchanges. The best of it was one weekend someone had recorded a bunch of Hank Hill sentences about propane and yardwork and "that boy ain't right", and they slowed it down just slightly to where the voice sounded different/hilarious. The geezers would get on the air as usual talking about ailments and traffic and loud music, and someone would start trolling them along with the Hank Hill recordings. They would actually go along conversing with it for a few minutes before realizing that there was no ID and it's a prank; then they would get all pissed and spend the next hour or so talking about it and how the hobby is dead now and it's all these 'new hams' fault blahblahblah.

Here in Abilene 2M is pretty dead most of the time. Conversations are usually something like this:
"It's rainin'"
"yeap"
"Gon' be floodin again I bet"
"yeap"
"Welp y'all have a nice night"
:rolleyes:

That's why I try to get people to take the plunge and get on HF. Not that there's any less greybeards on there, but at least your listening/talking isn't limited to whichever geezers happen to live in the same area as you do.

e: Oh and by the way, Audacity is a decent, free audio editing app.

I thought he was trying to sound like Curly Howard of the Three Stooges. Regardless, I think that was one of the regulars being an idiot. I should try and whip up a soundboard using quotes from Rocky and Goodfellas for these guys.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a HF rig, but since I'm moving in a few months I'm not going to spend a ton of cash right now. Once I get back to MO, I'll have a little extra cash to get something decent and more room to throw up a dipole than I do now.

tonynaia
Dec 31, 2004

BigHustle posted:

He was on W2NJR. From what I gather, he either runs two rigs at the same time and was trying to get someone to join him on 10m, or he was so drunk he forgot what frequency he was operating on.

One of the regulars said he's talked to the guy when he isn't sloshed and he's a pretty smart guy. The problem is when he hits the mic after having a few too many. His shenanigans got him kicked off the JSARS repeaters a few weeks back and there's another couple of area repeaters he's banned from as well.

The trolls were really bad last night. They usually stop after Ralph stops transmitting, but the one doing the Curly Howard voice just kept on trucking for another 20 minutes. I'm guessing that it's the same guy who sits on the radio all day until people get a good conversation going then starts kerchunking the repeaters so we can't talk anymore.

Ah, makes sense. I can hit W2NJR and JSARS reliably here, so that's where I listen when I'm mobile. I'll have to keep an ear out for him next time I'm listening at night. That's fantastic haha.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

tonynaia posted:

Ah, makes sense. I can hit W2NJR and JSARS reliably here, so that's where I listen when I'm mobile. I'll have to keep an ear out for him next time I'm listening at night. That's fantastic haha.

I'll have to hop on and ask the stairs question in hopes of finding you one day.

WAD can usually be found evenings after 8 and up through the early morning hours. He hasn't been on in a while, so he'll probably show up a couple of days then another dry spell will hit.

tonynaia
Dec 31, 2004

BigHustle posted:

I'll have to hop on and ask the stairs question in hopes of finding you one day.

WAD can usually be found evenings after 8 and up through the early morning hours. He hasn't been on in a while, so he'll probably show up a couple of days then another dry spell will hit.

Hah, okay. I'll listen for him a little bit tonight, hope for some good entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I know its a long time coming, but after much goading from his former ham (and pirate broadcaster) father and ham boss, SA SWL guru AstroZamboni is finally going to be taking his examinations for a technician license in 16 days!

[APPLAUSE]

My question to all of you experienced ham goons is this; I've been preparing for my exam using the flash cards and practice tests on this site. Would all of you say that this is a good study aid, or are there better practice tests out there?