Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That seriously IS a nightmare. Sorry to hear it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

ease posted:

I'm sorry, that really sucks. What body?

50D I bought just two months ago from a private seller, so no warranty repair in any case. :(

I've still got my XSi working, but that's beside the point.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

TheFuglyStik posted:

50D I bought just two months ago from a private seller, so no warranty repair in any case. :(

I've still got my XSi working, but that's beside the point.

Here is a thread I found googling bent pins. Seems to be pics from the Canon support center : http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=789835&highlight=bent+pins

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ease posted:

Here is a thread I found googling bent pins. Seems to be pics from the Canon support center : http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=789835&highlight=bent+pins

OK now that's just depressing.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

top scientists as:
I'm currently attempting a fix since I've spent a few years fixing cell phones at the family business, and really replacing that pin with the soldering iron is well within my league. I'm just having a hell of a time getting the camera taken apart since there are screws hidden in the damndest of places inside the body. :bang:

If anyone has a technical diagram, even of a lower XXD model, it'd be greatly appreciated. In return, I'll post the teardown pictures in the guts thread.

I'll admit I'm mustering up all of the testicular fortitude I have undertaking this repair myself, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend >$200 on a single copper pin when I've run a full service center for electronics by myself in the past. If I get it working again, gently caress it, I'm toying around with doing a full weather sealing job on it as well. Maybe I can put "the crazy motherfucker who modded his Canon 50D beyond removing the IR filter" on my resume or something. :shobon:

TheFuglyStik fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 29, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

TheFuglyStik posted:

I'm currently attempting a fix since I've spent a few years fixing cell phones at the family business, and really replacing that pin with the soldering iron is well within my league. I'm just having a hell of a time getting the camera taken apart since there are screws hidden in the damndest of places inside the body. :bang:

If anyone has a technical diagram, even of a lower XXD model, it'd be greatly appreciated. In return, I'll post the teardown pictures in the guts thread.

I'll admit I'm mustering up all of the testicular fortitude I have undertaking this repair myself, but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend >$200 on a single copper pin when I've run a full service center for electronics by myself in the past. If I get it working again, gently caress it, I'm toying around with doing a full weather sealing job on it as well. Maybe I can put "the crazy motherfucker who modded his Canon 50D beyond removing the IR filter" on my resume or something. :shobon:

This guy video taped his shutter button repair on his 30D. I'm not sure he takes it apart to the degree in which you require, but I guess it's better then nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWGScQeC5g

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

top scientists as:

Bahama.Llama posted:

This guy video taped his shutter button repair on his 30D. I'm not sure he takes it apart to the degree in which you require, but I guess it's better then nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWGScQeC5g

It's very close to how far I'm disassembling it, but it at least showed possible locations for the bastards screws keeping me from getting the back cover off. That link is immensely useful, so thank you. :cheers:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TheFuglyStik posted:

I'm pretty sure you can order replacement parts directly from Canon, if you don't want to futz around with soldering.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

top scientists as:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm pretty sure you can order replacement parts directly from Canon, if you don't want to futz around with soldering.

$90 is the cheapest I can find for the card reader. It's my backup plan, but soldering a replacement pin is about the easiest thing you can do with an iron other than burning your fingers.

On the weather sealing, I'm planning on cutting up some shrink wrap and seaming off the edges with RTV silicon. It sure as hell won't be waterproof since I need it to be reversible for when I decide to upgrade, but it's the old standby. It's good enough to stop water from spraying out of a crack in the tank of a styrene aquarium filter, so it will at least help me be less nervous during a light drizzle. The battery compartment, pop up flash, lens mount, and card door are going to be the problem areas I need to think more about. loving around with the lens mount just has me doubting this whole process since that could go horribly wrong easily.

I have no warranty and a currently inoperable camera, so what the hell.

TheFuglyStik fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 29, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Always make fun of your talent.

Click here for the full 1024x669 image.

Click here for the full 1024x718 image.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

TheFuglyStik posted:

At home, I have a site bookmarked with service manuals/exploded diagrams of a lot of Canon stuff, I'll post it tonight.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

As promised
http://f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/

Lotd of diagrams of lenses and cameras for anyone interested

30d partslist and diagrams
http://f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/EOS%20D30.pdf

60d (I'm pretty sure they mean 50d( partslist and diagrams
http://f20c.com/stuff/canon/partslist/EOS%20D60.PDF

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

GWBBQ posted:

As promised

I feel the urge to download everything here because I feel like it will be gone later. Great link friend. Where did you stumble upon this?

e: When they said D60, I think they may have meant D60 :( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneosd60/
Still a good resource none the less.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 31, 2010

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

As promised

Thanks buddy, I downloaded them all just in case some day I or someone else needs them, and I can't find the site.

Took a while because I couldn't remember what I could use to download everything on a single page :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shmoogy posted:

Thanks buddy, I downloaded them all just in case some day I or someone else needs them, and I can't find the site.

I have a nasty feeling that this may insipre me to pull apart my busted 50 1.4 to find the tiny little bit of broken plastic that has knackered it.

quote:

Took a while because I couldn't remember what I could use to download everything on a single page :(

downthemall - beloved by internet hoarders and pron addicts alike.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
well poo poo, I'm getting ready for vacation next week, and my laptop decides to start BSOD'ing. So I wiped and reinstalled windows twice. Still crashing randomly, as a last ditch effort I installed ubuntu. It worked just fine for a few hours and I figured out how to view RAW on it. Then my wifi starts to crap out and overall chugging like a mother fudger. Granted its almost 5.5 years old now, but c'mon, all I need is some backup. I think I'll have to break down and buy a netbook at best buy soon. I leave on Sunday.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hooray, I'm useful!

I think I came across that while searching for exploded diagrams for the guy with the thread about the stuck DoF preview button on his D20.

Bahama.Llama posted:

e: When they said D60, I think they may have meant D60 :( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneosd60/
I forgot about posting that until after taking Ambien so I was completely out of it when I posted that. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

c'mon, all I need is some backup.
What do you mean?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

well poo poo, I'm getting ready for vacation next week, and my laptop decides to start BSOD'ing. So I wiped and reinstalled windows twice. Still crashing randomly, as a last ditch effort I installed ubuntu. It worked just fine for a few hours and I figured out how to view RAW on it. Then my wifi starts to crap out and overall chugging like a mother fudger. Granted its almost 5.5 years old now, but c'mon, all I need is some backup. I think I'll have to break down and buy a netbook at best buy soon. I leave on Sunday.

The 720p 10" screen on my HP Mini Note 2140 is surprisingly decent.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

evil_bunnY posted:

What do you mean?

Just enough to offload my memory card at the end of the day and review some keepers while traveling. I just built a new desktop, so I don't need it for any heavy lifting.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The 720p 10" screen on my HP Mini Note 2140 is surprisingly decent.

cool, yea I'm really thinking about a netbook.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you're going to carry it, a netbook with an SSD is pretty bulletproof.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

If you're going to carry it, a netbook with an SSD is pretty bulletproof.

SSD netbooks own because there are 0 moving parts in them, so you can abuse the gently caress out of it, but SSDs are still ridiculously expensive, and the speed upgrade over a 5200RPM regular drive is barely noticible (hard drive speed isn't the bottle neck in netbooks). I'd probably feel a little safer if I swapped the hard drive in mine to SSD because I never turn it off, it's just in hibernate/suspend while I'm walking around with it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If your OS and hardware was made in the last decade the heads will park when it goes to sleep, but the no moving parts is the big thing. And you can get a very nice SSD for 200 bucks, which *will* make a difference, especially when reading/writing. Which is what you'd do with a machine like that.
LR must loving suck at netbook screen res though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LR sucks on an underpowered processor with limited memory, period. At least on my netbook. As long as you're not doing any editing, however, you might be OK. It became much more bearable after I upgraded my 10v to 2 gigs of ram. Also the windows one might work better, but I'm using MacOS so v:)v

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 31, 2010

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Are you loving kidding me? I don't want to to hate... but come ON.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

^ heh just browse all the photographer pages your friends are fans of. babby's first dslr

i bought an asus netbook for my trip to kashmir for just getting pics from my SD card and some music now and then. lil guy performed well and lasts 5 hours on a charge (well, as opposed to the advertised 8)

it's great to just have lying around the apartment and a lot more comfortable than my phone to browse on. then again, it couldn't even properly play HD video my DSLR took :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, don't get me wrong, if you're not editing and only storing/browsing your photos then a netbook is probably ideal :3:

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

Bahama.Llama posted:

Bonus points for the UV filter AND posting the pic backwards.

Edit: Netbooks are nice and portable, but the screen resolution and CPU power leave something to be desired for photo editing/viewing. Comedy Option: iPad.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

hybr1d posted:

Edit: Netbooks are nice and portable, but the screen resolution and CPU power leave something to be desired for photo editing/viewing. Comedy Option: iPad.

Yeah thats not going to be any better just a lot more expensive and inconvenient.

Netbooks are painful for even viewing full res photos with though, generally I just set up a batch convert to reduce the resolution a tonne and use the small copies to flick through. Just make sure you plug it in first otherwise the battery will flatten in no time.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

hybr1d posted:

Bonus points for the UV filter AND posting the pic backwards.

funny you mention an iPad, because I totally preordered right after they went on sale. Fully expecting my current laptop to last for just a wee bit longer until I could afford a macbook pro. I think I can use it to show off photos, but mostly I need to learn how to develop apps/magazines for it.

Happy ending though, my awesome wife bought herself a new laptop tonight that she is graciously letting me use. We got an Asus U50, core i3 for $650. It's pretty nice. I played around with netbooks for the first time and just was too meh, for $300. I think I would find myself just frustrated with the tiny screen, and the battery life isn't that much better at the low end. You gotta spend closer to $500 for something in the 6-8 hour range, and for a a couple hundred more, I chose to get something that I could work on in the field. Hoping to do tethered shooting when LR3 comes out, and I'll use my iPad for all day youtubing.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Nikon runs an ad in several photo magazines for its "Mentor Series" pretty regularly, where you pay a whole bunch of money to go on a workshop with a semi-famous bigwig to a fancy place, and you take pictures. It sounds kind-of cool at first until you realize the only people who do things like this: A) have disposable money, B) have no real picture-taking ability, they just like going places to brag about their gear, and C) can't think for themselves which is why the idea of a semi-famous bigwig is appealing to them.

In this month's issue of Popular Photography, (I get it for free so why not), they ran this ad:

Hmm. How much would it suck sitting in a canyon with 200 other people waiting for the sunrise so you could all get the same exact photo? If my suspicions didn't ruin the idea for me, this photo evidence most certainly did.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
If you are just someone who likes to go cool places, and likes to take pictures, then it would probably be a lot of fun. I'd imagine most of the folks on these trips are not going to make earth-shattering images.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TsarAleksi posted:

If you are just someone who likes to go cool places, and likes to take pictures, then it would probably be a lot of fun. I'd imagine most of the folks on these trips are not going to make earth-shattering images.

Yeah, but why not just go with some photography friends? I see what you're saying, and I see the appeal, but I think I'd be irritated out of my mind by hour 2.

On the other hand, a photography road trip or vacation would be fantastic. My wife, I believe, might disagree.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

torgeaux posted:

Yeah, but why not just go with some photography friends? I see what you're saying, and I see the appeal, but I think I'd be irritated out of my mind by hour 2.

On the other hand, a photography road trip or vacation would be fantastic. My wife, I believe, might disagree.

Now, I've never been on one of these trips, but I have a strong feeling that many of them are made up of people (men) whose wives have similar sentiments and therefore they have no one to go on a trip with.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Mannequin posted:

A) have disposable money, B) have no real picture-taking ability, they just like going places to brag about their gear, and C) can't think for themselves which is why the idea of a semi-famous bigwig is appealing to them.

I don't know how this one is set up, but in general, I don't think workshops are useless. I've never been to one to myself but I've learned a lot from watching videos of workshops (strobist, kelby training, onelight). I can imagine it being helpful to be there in person to get some practical experience along with the knowledge.

I'm sure it's highly dependant on who is teaching the class and the agenda.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

torgeaux posted:

2 things I like about shooting in groups (no matter the size):
- no one minds waiting 2 minutes for you to set up a shot
- assuming you're not old and decrepit, people just assume you're either students or tourists and leave you alone.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

2 things I like about shooting in groups (no matter the size):
- no one minds waiting 2 minutes for you to set up a shot
- assuming you're not old and decrepit, people just assume you're either students or tourists and leave you alone.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

My understanding wife is allowing me to bring quite a bit of gear to SF for vacation this next week. We have an arrangement- since I am an early riser, I get the first couple of hours of daylight to go out by myself. It's a little limiting but still works very well.

As for the workshops, it seems like a nice blend of vacation, location tours and instruction. Also a reality check- many people have differing levels of disposable income, and I don't know anyone that got into photography to save money.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Bahama.Llama posted:

People like all kinds of terrible poo poo and are easily amazed.

I bitch about Lionel Lum a lot for the exact same reasons. He's got no eye for composition, color, focus, well.. anything really. He's the Michael Bay of photography, and yet he's got about ten thousand screaming fan girls wetting their panties every time he posts another series of terrible photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

squidflakes posted:

People like all kinds of terrible poo poo and are easily amazed.

I bitch about Lionel Lum a lot for the exact same reasons. He's got no eye for composition, color, focus, well.. anything really. He's the Michael Bay of photography, and yet he's got about ten thousand screaming fan girls wetting their panties every time he posts another series of terrible photos.

Not that I have even heard of Loinel Lum, but.. "Don't hate the player"
:)