Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
My method was to have sex when we detected a surge, then the next day, and then the next day. I know that some people say that it should be every other day so that there's enough time to get the sperm count back up, but it worked for us to do it every day for 3 days once we detected the surge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

melodywise posted:

Don't lose hope at all with age.

Thirding this. It took me 2.5 months to get pregnant at 36. You're a youngun!

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
GinKitty, I am so with you on the frustrations with clomid. I have just finished taking my 3rd round this month. Several people know we are trying, but they aren't people that I interact with daily so the questions have not been excessive. The problem is that I have been getting my hopes up each month, then worrying that there is some other issue when I find out that I am not pregnant. Intellectually I know that it takes time, even with the clomid but I am sure the extra worrying doesn't help. Hopefully, soon we will both have good news soon!

Good luck to all the others trying.

GinKitty
Jul 15, 2006

Sexy Newbie

Roxy Rouge posted:

GinKitty, I am so with you on the frustrations with clomid. I have just finished taking my 3rd round this month. Several people know we are trying, but they aren't people that I interact with daily so the questions have not been excessive. The problem is that I have been getting my hopes up each month, then worrying that there is some other issue when I find out that I am not pregnant. Intellectually I know that it takes time, even with the clomid but I am sure the extra worrying doesn't help. Hopefully, soon we will both have good news soon!

Good luck to all the others trying.

I think you nailed it Roxy. It's probably not the Clomid that's frustrating; it's getting my hopes up every month. Not to mention, patience is not my strongest virtue. I'm definitely ready for some good news and good luck to you! Hopefully third time's a charm :)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My partner and I have been trying to conceive for 7 months, I'm 31 and he is 32. Before that I had the Implant and when the doctor took it out she said that fertility would return to normal and "I would probably be pregnant by Christmas" but it isn't happening. It's driving me a little mental the week before I am due, doing about 4 pregnancy tests then convincing myself they could possibly wrong until I actually get my period when I go and cry for a few hours. My partner is supportive but I know he doesnt really get the same crushing sense of disappointment so I try and hide the crazy a little bit.

Last few cycles have got longer and longer - after getting Implant removed they were 29 days then in December I had heavy spotting for 3 days mid cycle which I didnt really think much about. Period didnt come on due date so after a week made an appointment with doctor who said it might have been a 'blip' or a very early chemical miscarriage. Period came 29 days after 'blip', then next one was 33 days and still waiting for this one (35 days since last period).

Good luck to everyone trying and thanks for having such a fantastic thread. It is great to be able to see that how I feel at the moment isn't just me being crazy.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Noirex fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 7, 2011

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
Me and the boy are sort of trying-- Have been for the past month. Nothing active, just a sort of "hey, we wouldn't mind a kid, so if it happens, it happens." I thought I was positive last month-- Had a lot of the early signs. We ran out and bought some tests, but lo and behold, I was negative and just having a bad case of super not fun PMS which led to a heavy and very short period that I am not used to.

This time around, I've been having cramping for the past few days. No spotting or bleeding, and my period isn't due until around the 8th. I have never had cramping so early as a PMS sign, so I am not sure what's up with that. My breasts have also been somewhat tender, so I've been avoiding wearing a bra unless I go out. Needless to say, it's somewhat irritating.

My mother, her mother, and my youngest sister (I'm the oldest of three) are all incredibly fertile, and I'm wondering if I happen to be the same, as well. On one end, I kind of hop so, but on the other, oh god it's a baby AM I READY.

I have wanted to be a mother ever since I was a child. It's the one thing I've always been positive about, but now that I'm facing motherhood some time in the future, I'm getting nervous and dealing with all sorts of "what ifs" and "but it would change everything" deals.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
What up, guys? I've been lurking this thread for a while and figured I'd say hello. I'll be 33 on Monday, married for almost 2 years and we own a house. Because of my age and the fact that we'd like two kids, I guess we should probably start trying pretty soon. I've read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and feel I have a pretty good understanding of how everything works.

I do NOT feel much of a maternal urge, however; never really have. I like kids and really enjoy spending time with my nieces, but am in no way "baby crazy." Does anyone else feel this way? I mean yes, children are in our plans, but I feel pretty ambivalent about actually trying to get pregnant. I posted this on another forum I frequent, and posters there suggested that I might want to seek loving counseling to sort out my feelings. Huh? Am I that much of a weirdo for being in my early 30s and not feeling a really pressing need to have a baby?

I used to not really want kids, then it was maybe, then it was sure, someday (my husband definitely wants kids). As I get older, "someday" gets closer and closer. I have a pretty full and rich life as it is, and I worry about losing it. So I'm reluctant to take the leap and start trying for real. Like, I almost wish I'd never read TCOYF; that way we could just forego protection and see what happens. Now that I have all the information and know when the risky times are, I can't put the blinders back on and have an "accident."

Just wanted to introduce myself since I may be in the "trying" camp pretty soon. And I'm wondering if anyone has any input on the ambivalence thing. Is this a sign that I'm totally not ready and should stay far away from sperm? Am I a freak of nature? Or do some people simply never really get the babybabybaby feeling? (I AM confident that if we do have a kid, we'll be good and loving parents.)

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!

The Young Marge posted:

Am I a freak of nature? Or do some people simply never really get the babybabybaby feeling? (I AM confident that if we do have a kid, we'll be good and loving parents.)

When I was expecting my first kid I would regularly have panic attacks about how I didn't want my life to change. I'd never wanted kids but my husband knew he wanted them and when we got serious I realized that I didn't want kids, I wanted to have kids with him. When we decided to try for our first we got pregnant within hours of saying "okay, let's do this". The jump from "Hey, want to try for a baby now" to "holy crap we're pregnant" was so short. I thought I would have at least a few months to get used to the idea before having to deal with the reality, but my ovaries had different ideas. This meant that in some ways I really felt unsure of how to process pregnancy. I knew I would be a good parent and was looking forward to it, but I couldn't help but mourn for the life I figured I would never have again.

I called my mother up and asked her if she'd dealt with the same feelings. She waited until she was a bit older to have kids and had in fact been pestering my father for ten years about how she wanted a family before he finally agreed. They were both worried about losing their freedom. They didn't like the idea of suddenly not having the money or freedom to pack up and fly to Fiji on a whim, or stay out until 2am with their large circle of friends. Once she got pregnant, after waiting for so long to get started, they both sat down and cried about how things would never be the same.

And, well, they weren't. When they wanted to travel the south pacific for 6 months, they had to save up and bring a 2 year old along. When they wanted to hang out with friends until 2am, they had to plan it well in advance and have me stay with friends or grandparents-- or invite people over once I'd gone to bed. They managed to continue to live their lives with me and despite me, if that makes sense.

Yes, having a kid means that your priorities should shift somewhat, and you do lose some of the spontaneity that feels so incredibly precious as you count down the days until delivery. The truth is, though, that most people have the same fears and ambivalence about what is ultimately a totally unexplainable change in who you are. Yes, the same person you are right now will still be tucked away inside the "parent" you, but having a kid does change you. The things you choose to give up end up being things that you don't end up missing that much. The things you really care about right now are still things you will probably care about and find a way to enjoy once you have a child.

It's great that you feel you have a full and rich life right now. It means you aren't trying to fill up your emptiness with a child and are instead having a child for the right reasons. If it will make you feel better, try to stop thinking about all the stuff from TCOYF. For sure don't listen to someone that calls you crazy for having all sorts of mixed up feelings about parenthood. I tend to be a little more worried about people that swear they 'can't wait and oh boy it's just the best thing ever and there's nothing to worry about yay!' because it shows what I generally think is a lack of introspection.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
The Young Marge: I am rolling my eyes so hard at the people who suggested counseling. What a bunch of dolts. I was totally ambivalent about the whole thing too. It was sort of a "one day we'll have kids thing" for me too, but it all seemed very abstract. But once we really decided to start trying, it became a little more real and exciting. I'm 30 and almost 12 weeks pregnant now, and it's still a little unbelievable to me that I'm going to be someone's mom. Like, really, I'm a serious adult now that's going to be responsible for more than just myself? But like you said, I have no doubt that my husband and I will be engaged and loving parents and this child is very much wanted.

In summary, you do not need therapy. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

edit:

Sally Slug posted:

I'd never wanted kids but my husband knew he wanted them and when we got serious I realized that I didn't want kids, I wanted to have kids with him.

Sally, you nailed it with this sentence. This is how I felt with my husband as well. I knew he was the person that would be a good father and partner.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 1, 2010

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.

Sally Slug posted:

I'd never wanted kids but my husband knew he wanted them and when we got serious I realized that I didn't want kids, I wanted to have kids with him.

YES! That is so loving right on. Like, the idea of "me having a baby" is frightening, but the idea of "us having a family together" feels very right. I look forward to things like teaching the future hypothetical kids to cook and then sitting down to the meal as a family. Ideally I picture the life I have now merging with the child-having aspect of life... not in the newborn/baby stage, necessarily, but at least down the road. I want to punch everyone who scoffingly laughs at that notion and says "never gonna happen."

Yeah, I felt so insulted by the counseling suggestion. What the gently caress? Surely not every single person who has a kid didn't feel a desperate baby need, and surely most of them are still caring parents. I bet I'll probably feel more excited when we start trying for real.

Some of my reluctance is probably because of seeing some of my coworkers who can't seem to talk about ANYTHING except pregnancy and babies. I don't want to become like that. I know myself and I really doubt I will, but God, it's irritating.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I really don't like other people's kids. Its sort of similar. I actually get sort of annoyed when people fawn and get gushy around babies. I just don't feel it. I can't wait to have my own baby with my husband though cause our kid is gonna kick so much rear end and be better than all the kids from the losers I know having babies. :cool:

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.
I was never one to gush about having babies or pregnancy in general -- I've never been around babies, never really held one, certainly never changed one -- I always just sorta said, "yeah sure, I'll have kids some day." My husband has wanted kids forever, since before we were even married. I was always the type that couldn't outright plan for kids, it sorta had to "surprise" me. We stopped using birth control late last summer, but didn't do much else in regards to fertility tracking (I ordered those ovulation strips, which did work, but not entirely how I thought they worked, so I almost don't count them). I figured I'd be pregnant by this summer. Instead, I was pregnant two months later, even after convincing myself that I actually wasn't pregnant. Surprise!

I'm still terrified of having my own baby; of how our lives will change. Terrified and super excited. And when I get scared, I think of my husband, and how awesome he is, how lucky we are, and what a great dad he'll be, and what a great family I'll have, and that we can totally do this. It's calming. It makes me amazingly happy.

GinKitty
Jul 15, 2006

Sexy Newbie

Alterian posted:

I really don't like other people's kids. Its sort of similar. I actually get sort of annoyed when people fawn and get gushy around babies. I just don't feel it. I can't wait to have my own baby with my husband though cause our kid is gonna kick so much rear end and be better than all the kids from the losers I know having babies. :cool:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who just doesn't feel it. I talk quite a bit about babies to my husband and he probably rolls his eyes. When I'm actually around a baby, it's incredibly awkward because I know the mom expects me to be all oogly over her kid. It's even worse once they start talking because I'm utterly clueless as to what they're saying much less how to respond.

When I was little, I told my mom I didn't want siblings and when I got married, we'd just have pets--NO kids. She'd remind me that that's exactly what she and dad planned but then wound up with me at 17 and 19. Best mistake ever. In my teens, the plan evolved to maybe one kid but not get married. The look on her face was priceless. She asked me not to pass that one on to dad. I never really wanted kids until I met my husband. He's awesome with his daughter, so I got a preview as to what kind of dad he's going to be. It's pretty exciting.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

The Young Marge posted:

Surely not every single person who has a kid didn't feel a desperate baby need,

See I was and AM that person. All I've ever wanted since I was a child, was to be a Mum. No grand aspirations of a career or university or anything like that - just to be a Mum and have kids.

I wanted to be a young Mum - get pregnant at 22/23. When I got to that age, my fiance and I still weren't quite set up so we had to wait.

Every few months my "maternal urge" would kick in and I would sob for a couple of days - I wanted it SO bad that it hurt. I felt like I had no other purpose in life, that I wanted a baby and that's all I was here for and what was the point in being here if I couldn't have it!! (Dramatic, I know, but I was gutted)

Eventually a few years later the day came when he said "Okay, let's go off the pill and start trying."

We fell pregnant the first month off the pill and unfortunately that was an ectopic pregnancy.

But we are again pregnant, only a couple of months after that ectopic, and while I'm super happy and it's all I've ever wanted I am STILL utterly terrified.

I don't want to lose the life I have now - I don't go out heaps, nothing too exciting, but just the idea that I can't just jump in the car and go for a while is scary.

That I don't just have a child while it's a child, but for the rest of my life. No matter how old this kid gets, it still needs it's parents and that will be me.

I kind of rambled a bit, but what I'm trying to say is I *AM* that person who always desperately wanted a baby, but even *I* am freaking out and having all of the same second guesses and worries.

So gently caress the haters, you're normal for worrying.

MurderCity
Dec 18, 2005
Can 15 years of imaginary training be put to use?
Well I've spent a good part of today on an emotional rollercoaster reading this thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing and updating, its been both informative and exciting to read everyone's input.
I am about to turn 25 and I have a wonderful 18 month old son, and I've been with my boyfriend for 9 years. When we finally decided that maybe we were ready to start "not preventing" a baby, two weeks later I was pregnant. I like to think that it was technically planned. I worked two jobs, 60-70 hours a week while pregnant with my son because my boyfriend lost his job due to complications from ulcerative colitis. I must be one of those lucky bitches, because the pregnancy was easy. Labor, not so much... I was in labor for 25 hours, pushed for over an hour, and ended up with an emergency c-section. Anyway, coming to the point, my son has lit up my life in every way, and I would really love to have a little brother or sister for him to grow up with. I know its not going to be easy and some days I think I'm out of my mind for wanting to go through all the diapers and insomnia and reading Thomas the Tank Engine FORTY TIMES IN A ROW. But let me tell you, for all the anxiety and strife and emotional trainwrecking that is TTC, pregnancy, labor, all of that, its so worth it.

So today I am officially off birth control, I've been taking over the counter prenatal vitamins along with calcium and DHA, and waiting for my period to come and go so I can get started. And for all the times that I've warned my boyfriend that this could take months or years, and we were extremely lucky to have conceived so quickly last time, I am totally hoping that it only takes two weeks again. But then maybe you'll all hate me. :saddowns:

Again thanks everyone who is sharing their progress, info, and support, I must be emotionally invested in everyone in this thread already because every time I see someone's test stick I get ridiculously giddy for you. :holy:

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I think it is perfectly natural to have some reservations about becoming a parent. It's scary. We've wanted kids for a long time, but when my husband and I actually got to the stage where we were going to start trying, I was excited, even though I had my misgivings. I'm 17 weeks pregnant, and I still have my days where I'm like "Oh god, what were we thinking?". It's a huge life-changing event and the thought of being responsible for another human being for 18+ years is a scary prospect. Like Sally Slug said, anyone who thinks parenthood is all sunshine and kittens seriously lacks introspection. I know it will worth all the hard work and sacrifice, but it's still terrifying.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

anythingbutbloo posted:

I was never one to gush about having babies or pregnancy in general -- I've never been around babies, never really held one, certainly never changed one -- I always just sorta said, "yeah sure, I'll have kids some day."

I think this is part of my problem. My mom had my brother when I was 3. I was never around my younger cousins when they were babies because we always lived in another city. I only saw my older cousin's kid once when she was a baby. We didn't have any family friends with babies when I was older either. I feel just as awkward around old people since my mom made me stop talking to my grandparents when I was 12 so I've never really been around anyone that's really old and I always feel awkward.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax

Ma_NiC posted:

I think it is perfectly natural to have some reservations about becoming a parent.

I grew up around kids. My brothers (twins) were born when I was 13, and my parents relied on my sister and I a lot, so I have years of hands on experience. I have two nieces (3 years and 7 months) and get to practice on them. I babysat all the time. I always knew I wanted to be a mother. I didn't get pregnant by accident either, there were fertility doctors involved. This was a very planned pregnancy. I am currently 33 weeks pregnant, which means I'll be having a baby in about 4-6 weeks.

And I still have some reservations about being a parent. In 4-6 weeks, the hospital is going to HAND ME A TINY HUMAN and send me off to raise him. And everyone loves to tell me how my life is going to change, and I'm never going to sleep again. I'll be a stay at home mom. So I worry sometimes, and wonder if I've made the right decision.

But when you first hear the heartbeat, see your baby on the monitor, 99% of your reservations disappear. I worry about the drastic life change coming my way, but then he kicks me or gets the hiccups and I remember how excited I am to meet him.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

I've been sobbing over everything the past two days. Fell asleep trying to eat dinner an when the boy woke me up to take me to bed, I started sobbing because I couldn't finish my spinach. I've been so sensitive to everything, and tired all the time.

Started bleeding (lightly) tonight, and I could hardly get my Diva Cup in, I am so tight. The cramps are bad, too. Sex has been feeling different to me for the past week or so (not painful, but more ... closed?) but I didn't think anything of it until he mentioned me feeling really tight. That isn't normal for me, especially considering we've been humping like bunnies pretty regularly for the past month.

My sister told me that she wasn't the only one that bled five months in to her period. My grandmother on my father's side did, as well, so I am starting to worry I might be the same.

I had people suggest to take a pregnancy test now and another when I stop bleeding, so I took one. Negative, so my nerves aren't settled at all.

Two
Mar 4, 2006

The best things in life cost the least but they don't come for free.
Ok to start off this post I'll explain... a friend of mine and her husband are trying to get pregnant with their 2nd baby. This friend is kind of computer illiterate and totally not an internet-user at ALL so I look stuff up for her and get info, etc. Anyway she's been having a lot of symptoms and they're really really excited about having another baby so she's anxious that she may be getting their hopes up for no reason, etc... yada yada ANYWAYS she asked me to see what kind of opinions I could get on her symptoms or if they could just be from *anything*

I posted once before for her in the pregnancy thread, on March 28th:

quote:

Its the first month they have been trying and she is not due for her period for a couple more weeks but she told me that yesterday she had minor cramping for a large part of her day, and this afternoon it is "worse", er, more noticeable I guess? i dunno, she said period-like cramps and a slight lower back ache. I know its silly and early for her to be wondering about it but I guess they are just super excited about having another baby and impatient to know stuff. Anyway so she called me today all excited about her cramps (wtf? LOL) telling me this and asked if I had cramps as an early symptom (which I didn't) so I'm asking you guys for her. Because honestly I have no idea if people do.

So ever since then she has experienced more pregnancy symptoms and keeps telling me about it so I guess I'm kinda getting excited and impatient too. :colbert: so sue me.
Anyway these are her symptoms so far. I'm typing them as she says them right now:

*period-like cramping for about 3 days (mentioned above) she also felt twinges and a few sharp pains in her girly-regions
*mild cramping comes and goes ever since. usually happens in the afternoons/evenings. sometimes all evening long. occasionally feels the sharp little pains.
*sleeping a lot more
*sudden consistent increase in appetite, supposedly craving spaghetti :lol:
*less motivation, "tuckered out" feeling
*"mood swings" been getting sad or anxious or mad at husband or others about the littlest things
*(TMI?)sudden constipation, ate a whole bunch of high fiber cereal and still constipated
*breasts started getting sore around the time the initial cramping happened, and have been very slowly getting sorer every day since.
*face is breaking out which hasn't happened to her in years
*gas

She says she cant think of any other at the moment but is just wondering what y'all think? The sore-breasts thing is a kicker that is making me think she might really be pregnant for REAL. She's still a week away from her period...

She is also wondering how soon can she test?
Thanks! And K says thank you too!

edit: she thought of a couple more, added to the list

Two fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 5, 2010

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Noirex fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 7, 2011

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Two: I never had any cramping, but every other symptom on her list matches mine.

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

Two posted:

*period-like cramping for about 3 days (mentioned above) she also felt twinges and a few sharp pains in her girly-regions
*mild cramping comes and goes ever since. usually happens in the afternoons/evenings. sometimes all evening long. occasionally feels the sharp little pains.
*sleeping a lot more
*sudden consistent increase in appetite, supposedly craving spaghetti :lol:
*less motivation, "tuckered out" feeling
*"mood swings" been getting sad or anxious or mad at husband or others about the littlest things
*(TMI?)sudden constipation, ate a whole bunch of high fiber cereal and still constipated
*breasts started getting sore around the time the initial cramping happened, and have been very slowly getting sorer every day since.
*face is breaking out which hasn't happened to her in years
*gas
I have been getting all of these symptoms, although my breasts haven't been as sore lately. They seem to be getting better, but there were a few days where I couldn't even stand wearing a bra.

I think she should wait until her period is due, and if she's late, she should definitely test.

Edit: Bleeding got heavier over night. I've bled at least 1/2 ounce so far, and this definitely feels like a regular period, aside from the ridiculous cramps. Colour me completely confused.

deadly claris fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 5, 2010

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Noirex fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 7, 2011

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Okay guys, looks like I'm back here again.

Ectopic in December and now miscarriage. I'm going into hospital tomorrow for a d&c to remove it all. I'm okay, just pissed off.

Once the bleeding stops after d&c and I've had one full cycle, the dr has said we can try again.

I'm hoping we fall pregnant straight away again - we seem to have no trouble conceiving, just in keeping them!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Oh poo poo dishonesty... I'm so sorry. :(

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

Noirex posted:

^^^^
Did you take a pregnancy test again? Or it might be the beginnings of a normal period?

Definitely a normal period, it's just an abnormal one for me. :(

dishonesty, I wish only the best for you. Your determination and strength is truly remarkable. Good luck, sweetheart.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

^^^^
Ah I'm sorry to hear that, hope you're feeling better and good luck while trying again next round.

Best of luck to you too dishonesty, take care of yourself and here's to hearing good news from you soon as well.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 7, 2011

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

Longpig posted:

Oh poo poo dishonesty... I'm so sorry. :(

Looks like perhaps we're somewhat similar Longpig - super easy to conceive, not so easy to hold onto them!

I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

dishonesty posted:

Looks like perhaps we're somewhat similar Longpig - super easy to conceive, not so easy to hold onto them!

I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky!

Yeah, I've always gotten pregnant on the first or second try... holding on to them is not so easy. Good luck to you!

Two
Mar 4, 2006

The best things in life cost the least but they don't come for free.
Just a quick update... my friend K is pregnant. :) She got 2 faint positives today. Yay for them!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm on day 42 since the start of my last period. I think my longest cycle was about 41 or 42 days back when I was tracking it. This was a really weird cycle. I spotted a couple times in the middle of it (very lightly) and I never spot between my periods. I have no pregnancy symptoms though. Maybe I should buy a test? :ohdear:

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...
I just thought I'd post to hopefully provide a little encouragement to those trying to get pregnant.

My wife and I tried for over one and a half years before we got pregnant. I was 26 and my wife was 24. My wife charted temperatures and mucus consistency/cervix stuff every day for all that time. We got pregnant right after we both almost gave up hope. We'd both been checked multiple times and no doctors saw any issues. We also had one miscarriage early on after about 15 months of trying.

I think the roughest part of all that for me was seeing my wife cry each month when her period started. She really tried to not get her hopes up but after a while she was really concerned (as was I) that for some reason we'd end up not being able to have kids.

My wife's sister also got pregnant 2 months after getting married, and it was an "oh oops I got lazy and didn't chart things correctly / we didn't really want kids yet" pregnancy, so that also really made my wife feel even more hopeless and frustrated.

Right before we got pregnant my wife gave away her prenatal vitamins and pregnancy/baby books, and stopped charting. She basically gave up and didn't want to feel so discouraged every month.

1.5 years isn't much for some people, and we also know a couple who had to try for over 3 years, but for us it was a very long and discouraging time.

We're extremely thankful for the blessing we've been given and I think trying for as long as we did gave me much more appreciation for healthy pregnancies and being able to have children at all.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Checking back in with you all--round 3 with clomid was a bust. I switched the clomid up a bit this month on the advice from my doctor--I guess we we will see. I am taking a break next month on the clomid if this one doesn't take. I think maybe I just need a break? My thoughts are with all of you trying and especially Dishonesty and Long Pig...I hope you both get a sticky one soon.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.
Hello everyone - I've been lurking in this thread for a while and thought I'd post my story as I have a few questions.

My husband and I are 25 and 24 respectively, dated for four years and have been married for 6 months. We've been trying to fall pregnant since our wedding (the reason we got married was because we'd bought a house and decided it was time to start filling it with kids!). I haven't been tracking my temperature or mucus or any of that sort of stuff, just been charting when my periods start and end, how long they go for and when might be the best times to be trying.

My initial question was to ask for stories from other people trying to fall pregnant after having been on the Pill consistently for a long period of time. As I had extremely heavy and painful periods, my doctor recommended having periods every 3-4 months instead of monthly, even every 6 months if I felt it necessary. She assured me this would not affect my fertility or general health. Now that I'm permanently off the Pill, I was hoping to hear from anyone else who had a similar experience.

Secondly, and this kind of renders my initial question moot, though I'd still like to hear other peoples' stories, I took a test yesterday, two days after my period was due (though there's still time) as I had a "feeling". Bit silly, as I've taken tests too soon on other occasions and just been disappointed. However, I was very excited to get a faint positive.

Aside from my "feeling", I haven't really had any other signs of pregnancy: my boobs have been tender but not sore, I have twinges of feeling in my nether regions but no cramps or pains and my appetite hasn't increased noticeably, though I have been a little more tired than usual. I'm planning to take another test this weekend and, if it's still positive with no sign of a period, I'm going to make a doctor's appointment.

I have heard that early positives can sometimes end naturally within the next few days, so I guess my question is based on the little information I've provided, what is everyone's feeling on my positive result staying positive?

Thanks very much to anyone who takes the time to reply to my post and share their thoughts and stories; I'd very much like to hear from you!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I had no problems getting pregnant when going off the pill and had been on it for years. I also had no pregnancy symptoms other than I just sorta "knew" to test. Not that it makes a huge difference but I was 29.

As far as the positive staying positive - that's your body's decision. Not a whole lot you can do about it. :) Just realize that it's not uncommon. My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage DAYS after I found out I was pregnant. I was only a couple of weeks along.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 13, 2010

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Welp, I just made an appointment for a consultation with a reproductive endocrinologist for May 7th! I don't want to start actively trying until we're settled in our own place, but I want to talk about options and maybe start on some estrogen. Hopefully we'll be able to start trying this summer!

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I never had any reliable pregnancy symptoms until a few days after my positives when my morning sickness kicked in. I never had that "feeling" I was pregnant either. But both times, my positives stayed positive, although for some reason this time the positives were all super super faint.

Preggo update: The kid will be here in 2-4 weeks :) I've got a 50/50 chance of going into labor on my own, but if he's not out by May 14th-ish we'll be inducing because I'm diabetic.

Moms Stuffing - did you find a fertility treatment that is safe for nursing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

drat. I think I'm getting my period. I'm thinking about getting that one test where they map your insides with dye done (whatever its called) since my HSA has money built up into it.

Do those hurt? I have a pretty high uncomfortable/pain thresh hold. Regular gyn exams don't bother me in the least.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 13, 2010

• Locked thread