Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

mrbill posted:

Funny you should say that..

http://sa.mrbill.net/dad.jpg

How much did that coat cost in the Matrix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

mrbill posted:

Funny you should say that..

http://sa.mrbill.net/dad.jpg
http://sa.mrbill.net/momuniform.jpg

That is the worst dad. Congrats on moving past it though. You can rest easy knowing that you are much better person than some of your family.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's funny because I remember a friend telling me during the Bush era that snopes was conservative. That's how you know they're trustworthy.

I recall reading their response to an email about "PHILIP PULLMAN'S BOOKS ARE ABOUT KILLING GOD!" and being surprised that the answer was a straight-up yes. Nothing about the free expression of ideas, or the fact that the god in the books is a weak and feeble creature and it's a mercy killing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Related: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_04/023156.php

quote:

HUTAREE MILITIA MEMBER BELIEVED BOGUS CHAIN EMAIL.... Nine members of a Christian militia group were taken into federal custody this week, based on evidence that the group was poised to launch a deadly plot. One of the nine was apparently enraged by a bogus claim she received a right-wing chain email. (via Justin Elliott)

quote:

A member of the Hutaree militia charged with federal crimes was upset because she thought that President Barack Obama had signed into law this month a bill that would spend $20 billion to help the terrorist group Hamas settle in the U.S.

There was never any such legislation, but Tina Stone believed it was the truth, according to her Facebook account.
Not quite two weeks ago, the woman posted to Facebook, lamenting the fact that H.B. 1388 passed. She wrote, "I'm peeved,,, when people in this country is getting kicked out of there homes everyday and our government passes a bill to spend more then 20 billion dollars to bring Hamas here and supplies them with food and homes that just wrong." [grammatical errors in the original]

Soon after, she added, "I'm so stressed I could KILL someone!!!!!!!"

For the record, H.B. 1388 was a national service bill, expanding AmeriCorps. It included no money for Hamas.

Now, Tina Stone was already part of a radical group long before she received this silly email with absurd claims. But it didn't help.

It also leads me to wonder just how much better off our collective national intelligence would be if ridiculous right-wing chain emails didn't exist.

So the claim that these emails are just harmless venting appears to have a little less credibility now.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Deteriorata posted:

So the claim that these emails are just harmless venting appears to have a little less credibility now.

The best part is, the email cited claims it was $20 million budgeted to help Hamas. Somehow this idiotic nutcase and her friends turned this already imaginary number into $20 billion. I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/imtired.asp
Oft quoted piece in this thread, the "I'm Tired" essay. Was always kinda hoping it was some crazy guy using a famous name to get recognition, guess not.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/imtired.asp
Oft quoted piece in this thread, the "I'm Tired" essay. Was always kinda hoping it was some crazy guy using a famous name to get recognition, guess not.

Still crazy and still bs.

Farrok
May 29, 2006

You know, I'm amazing my dad keeps sending me stuff after I debunk all the other crap. This one is actually the most irritating I've gotten I think:

quote:

OBAMA HUMOR

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel:
"Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the promised land".

Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,
"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the promised land".

Now Obama has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels, and mortgaged the promised land!

Furthermore, I was so depressed last night thinking about Health Care Plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc...
I called Lifeline, the suicide help line. Got a freakin' call center in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal. They all got excited and asked if I could drive a truck....

In giant bold black letters. Aside from being two forwards mashed together, that first one looked familiar....
oh look here's the same loving thing about Clinton. I swear these things are reused over and over again deliberately by the GOP noise machine to keep pushing the DEMOCRATS=TAXES AND BIG GOVERNMENT meme.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I laughed about the suicide hotline. Sorry to all.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Farrok posted:

You know, I'm amazing my dad keeps sending me stuff after I debunk all the other crap. This one is actually the most irritating I've gotten I think:

In giant bold black letters. Aside from being two forwards mashed together, that first one looked familiar....
oh look here's the same loving thing about Clinton. I swear these things are reused over and over again deliberately by the GOP noise machine to keep pushing the DEMOCRATS=TAXES AND BIG GOVERNMENT meme.

They recyle the same awful stupid jokes too from the Clinton and Carter era.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Farrok posted:

Yeah, the great laziness programs promoted by Roosevelt, such as the CCC and the TVA.

It amazes me how Roosevelt is seen as such an evil person.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I laughed about the suicide hotline. Sorry to all.
Same. Betcha its stolen from some comic's stand-up routine, but I lol'ed.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Yeah, the great laziness programs promoted by Roosevelt, such as the CCC and the TVA.

It amazes me how Roosevelt is seen as such an evil person.

But, but he was a communist and everything he did was unconstitutional and didn't help against the Depression! (actual arguments I've heard from libertarians)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dr. Tough posted:

But, but he was a communist and everything he did was unconstitutional and didn't help against the Depression! (actual arguments I've heard from libertarians)

No the talking point is how all the New Deal stuff actually made the Great Depression worse, or turned a recession into a depression etc.

Haven't you been watching your Cavuto? :mad:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Zwabu posted:

No the talking point is how all the New Deal stuff actually made the Great Depression worse, or turned a recession into a depression etc.

Haven't you been watching your Cavuto? :mad:

Actually you're right, I got my lovely right wing arguments mixed up. There's also the one where regulation of the financial sector caused the depression.

Farrok
May 29, 2006

I was also amused by the suicide joke, but I still couldn't get past the fact that its reference to Pakistan specifically doesn't make any drat sense!

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Farrok posted:

I was also amused by the suicide joke, but I still couldn't get past the fact that its reference to Pakistan specifically doesn't make any drat sense!

I thought Bin Laden was supposed to be hiding in Pakistan? Dude got to make a living like the rest of us.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Farrok posted:

Yeah it's not geographically accurate at all. Smart people aren't writing these emails though.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Vilerat posted:

Yeah it's not geographically accurate at all. Smart people aren't writing these emails though.

Most of them are just copy pasted garbage months if not years old yet to them it is new.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

quote:

In an advance copy received by World Net Daily, it appears that the President's new administration is going to try a bold new approach regarding the nation's youths. President Obama's staff is furiously working to finish the first draft of a new youth program, which would rival the traditional boy scouts.

Known as the "America Scouts," these programs would be announced on March 1 of this year and the program would begin building a skeleton during the summer. On August 4, or Obama's 48th birthday, the program would begin accepting children between the ages of 4 and 18.

While the exact specifications of the program are either secret or yet to be established, it is believed that there will be three classes of scouts. "Liberty" scouts for children betweeen 4-8. "Patriot" scouts for those between 8-12 and "Constitution" scouts for those up to 18. It is yet unknown if these "Constitution Scouts" would then move up to President Obama's planned civilian reserve force.

What was made clear by contacts in the Administration is that portions of the White House believe that the Boy Scouts are too old and sedentary. In addition, their ties with religion are undesirable to the new Administration. A fresh start would focus these new scouts on the government, especially in these times of change.

As long as the program is passed by Congress, the America Scouts will be officially run by the federal government, but would be administered by each of the 50 states. The President would have the power to appoint a Scout Commissioner for an 8-year term. The President would run the Scouts and have them state in their oath their responsibility to him.

Costs for the America Scouts have not been determined. However, it appears that the program could cost up to $2 billion a year. In order to make up for the costs, parents will be encouraged to contribute and special "reeducation" projects such as "Social Responsibility" will be paid for directly by the federal government.

In order to apply for employment, please write to:

Employment
c/o America Scouts
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202
Satire article but being pushed around as a "real" e-mail. Oh conservatives.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

RagnarokAngel posted:

The sad thing is that half of that would be a brilliant idea (that is, the half that isn't pledging allegiance to the President, going to "reeducation" classes, and all that hitler-youthy stuff they were clearly going for). I think that scouting-type programs are awesome for kids, but Boy Scouts are far too douchey and exclusionary (yes I know on local scale there are some awesome troops out there), and a lot of poor parents couldn't afford such a thing anyway. I'd love to see the government pour a few billion dollars into some better youth programs. There's seriously no better investment than that.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/americascouts.asp made the rounds last year. Once again they are recycling.

Can we get anything that actually was created this year. This old stuff is boring.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

notcreativeenough posted:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/americascouts.asp made the rounds last year. Once again they are recycling.

Can we get anything that actually was created this year. This old stuff is boring.

Maybe we've actually reached peak crazy?

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

unnoticed posted:

Maybe we've actually reached peak crazy?

You may hope for that but I prefer to be prepared for the worst. It's just always more worse then my most paronoid imaginings when it does happen.

Here examine these and tell me the crazy has peaked.

http://cbs2.com/national/guardians.of.the.2.1607414.html
"As of Wednesday, more than 30 governors had received letters saying if they don't leave office within three days they will be removed, according to an internal intelligence note by the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security. The note was obtained by The Associated Press.

For now, the letters stand as merely a citizens' uprising movement trying to put pressure on the administration, reports CBS News correspondent Bob Orr.

Investigators do not see threats of violence in the group's message, but fear the broad call for removing top state officials could lead others to act out violently."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-mount-dora-doctor-tells-patients-go-aw20100401,0,5593120.story
Florida urologist Jack Cassell posted a sign on his office door reading, "If you voted for Obama ... seek urologic care elsewhere. Changes to your health care begin right now, not in four years."

Well at least a new Christina Hendricks article came out today and seeing that red headed goddess brings light to my existance. Husband is one lucky bastard.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

quote:

Less than 10 days ago I received my census forms. I returned it promptly (tho I forgot which tribe I belong to).
For race I answered American.
Today I received another census form. Tomorrow someone will no doubt appear at my door. They may not have believed me that I live alone. The squalor of my "digs" suggest my garage in full "undocumented aliens".
Maybe Alfredo, who can't speak english and has to be paid in cash to pull weeds, for $15. per hour, listed my address when he went to Emergency Room with stomach cramps after I fed him lunch.
(The VA hospital is offering remedial training courses for vets, think I'll take "weeding 101").
Buenos dios, Alfredo!

Not really sure what to make of it, think his mind is finally going.

His "digs" cost $750k btw

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

Maybe Alfredo, who can't speak english and has to be paid in cash to pull weeds, for $15. per hour, listed my address when he went to Emergency Room with stomach cramps after I fed him lunch.
(The VA hospital is offering remedial training courses for vets, think I'll take "weeding 101").

Can you really get 15 bucks an hour, cash, for weeding? I might have to start hanging out in front of Home Depot. Ten hours a week of that and I might be able to afford some heathcare.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Toasticle posted:

Census nonsense

Look at me while I make things up that no one can verify!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Toasticle posted:

Not really sure what to make of it, think his mind is finally going.

His "digs" cost $750k btw

Why can't he be assed to pull his own weeds, like all real Americans do?

I mean, seriously. I don't know anyone who hires out their lawn care.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I feel like this has been brought up before, but my quick search through the last 10 or so pages failed to find anything (and it may be in either the Beck or GOP thread, anyway) so I was hoping someone could point me to it: Being entirely unfamiliar with the situation surrounding Medicare and Social Security, what's a good counter-argument to the common talking point along the lines of "How can we think government healthcare would save money / be efficient / work / etc... when Medicare and/or Social Security are failing / in debt / broken / etc..." ?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Habibi posted:

I feel like this has been brought up before, but my quick search through the last 10 or so pages failed to find anything (and it may be in either the Beck or GOP thread, anyway) so I was hoping someone could point me to it: Being entirely unfamiliar with the situation surrounding Medicare and Social Security, what's a good counter-argument to the common talking point along the lines of "How can we think government healthcare would save money / be efficient / work / etc... when Medicare and/or Social Security are failing / in debt / broken / etc..." ?

Social Security won't be in "debt" for another 30 years. Tacked on to the fact that congress raids its funds year to year to cover budget gaps.

Medicare is liked by people who use it and do not want to go to a private system. http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2009/07/the-popularity-of-government-run-health-insurance.php

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Social Security won't be in "debt" for another 30 years. Tacked on to the fact that congress raids its funds year to year to cover budget gaps.

Medicare is liked by people who use it and do not want to go to a private system. http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2009/07/the-popularity-of-government-run-health-insurance.php

Good point on the former, but the latter addresses people's satisfaction with medicare. What I'm looking for is information on the financial side. That is, the right constantly harps on how because medicare is in debt or losing money or whatever, it's a sign that government attempts at providing or managing healthcare are inherently inefficient. So I'm trying to see how that actually gels with reality., if at all.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Habibi posted:

One of the major issues with for-profit insurance that you run in to is the direct conflict of the profit motive against the objective of keeping people healthy. Premiums are paid to the company before a service is actually derived by the customer, and any claims are then going to be cutting in to the profit margin. Because publicly traded companies are seeking to maximize profits, throwing in hurdles that prevent people from using the service is common. One manifestation of this is increasing the co-pays for doctor's visits and medication. It looks good on your quarterly earnings report because you've just deterred a bunch of people from going to the doctor or in to skipping medication, but long term you have hurt your bottom line because preventative treatment is cheaper by many orders of magnitude than having someone end up in the hospital. As a result, rates get jacked up further and you've created a retarded feedback loop and a broken system. Remove the profit motive and now you don't have an organization scrambling for short-term profits that hurt everyone in the long-term. Beyond that, as a general rule the larger your risk pool is the higher quality of service can be provided. With insurance, the healthy are subsidizing the poor with the idea that new healthy will enter the system as the others age and become more expensive, allowing for an individual to have a manageable health care cost across their whole life. Once again, the pursuit of quarterly profits stepped in which sought to lower the base premium cost (sometimes) while tacking on massive copays and deductibles to penalize the people who actually needed the service. Then there are attempts to drive out those higher-cost customers through qualification rules and exclusions for (often arbitrary and stupid) pre-existing conditions until all you're left with is a bunch of generally healthy cash-cows in your risk pool, and then if they do get sick the copays and deductibles are so high that they might be better off just buying their own health-care a la carte at that point.

The concept of free-market health insurance is terrible and will naturally seek to destroy itself through profit pursuit, which is why it is best left either highly regulated like how we handle utilities or straight-up government run.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 2, 2010

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Habibi posted:

Good point on the former, but the latter addresses people's satisfaction with medicare. What I'm looking for is information on the financial side. That is, the right constantly harps on how because medicare is in debt or losing money or whatever, it's a sign that government attempts at providing or managing healthcare are inherently inefficient. So I'm trying to see how that actually gels with reality., if at all.

Private business raised the cost of medical expenses for years. How exactly can one say that private business will run it better when they clearly can't?

Also, some of the issues are a matter of population. More boomers will be on rolls so costs will go up. Sliding the pay roll tax to cover people who make over say, 250,000 would cover Medicare and social security.

A 2005 CBO report might be worth looking at as well, I haven't read through it yet though.

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/69xx/doc6982/12-15-LongTermOutlook.pdf

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

One of the major issues with for-profit insurance that you run in to is the direct conflict of the profit motive against the objective of keeping people healthy. Premiums are paid to the company before a service is actually derived by the customer, and any claims are then going to be cutting in to the profit margin. Because publicly traded companies are seeking to maximize profits, throwing in hurdles that prevent people from using the service is common. One manifestation of this is increasing the co-pays for doctor's visits and medication. It looks good on your quarterly earnings report because you've just deterred a bunch of people from going to the doctor or in to skipping medication, but long term you have hurt your bottom line because preventative treatment is cheaper by many orders of magnitude than having someone end up in the hospital. As a result, rates get jacked up further and you've created a retarded feedback loop and a broken system. Remove the profit motive and now you don't have an organization scrambling for short-term profits that hurt everyone in the long-term. Beyond that, as a general rule the larger your risk pool is the higher quality of service can be provided. With insurance, the healthy are subsidizing the poor with the idea that new healthy will enter the system as the others age and become more expensive, allowing for an individual to have a manageable health care cost across their whole life. Once again, the pursuit of quarterly profits stepped in which sought to lower the base premium cost (sometimes) while tacking on massive copays and deductibles to penalize the people who actually needed the service. Then there are attempts to drive out those higher-cost customers through qualification rules and exclusions for (often arbitrary and stupid) pre-existing conditions until all you're left with is a bunch of generally healthy cash-cows in your risk pool, and then if they do get sick the copays and deductibles are so high that they might be better off just buying their own health-care a la carte at that point.

The concept of free-market health insurance is terrible and will naturally seek to destroy itself through profit pursuit, which is why it is best left either highly regulated like how we handle utilities or straight-up government run.

I think there's some misunderstanding going on here. :) I'm well versed on the conceptual differences between public and private healthcare, and can quite adequately explain my point of view on that. What I have trouble doing is specifically countering arguments that go after Medicare and Social Security from the direction of inefficiency and waste (because we all know that government agencies are inherently inefficient and wasteful :rolleyes:), and then try to use that to support the idea that government shouldn't be handling medical care.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Habibi posted:

I think there's some misunderstanding going on here. :) I'm well versed on the conceptual differences between public and private healthcare, and can quite adequately explain my point of view on that. What I have trouble doing is specifically countering arguments that go after Medicare and Social Security from the direction of inefficiency and waste (because we all know that government agencies are inherently inefficient and wasteful :rolleyes:), and then try to use that to support the idea that government shouldn't be handling medical care.

Medicare administrative overhead of 2-5%. http://www.cms.gov/MedicareProgramRatesStats/downloads/MedicareMedicaidSummaries2005.pdf

Our bureaucracy is efficient as gently caress.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Habibi posted:

A great example is a 401k v. Social Security. A lot of people's 401k's were destroyed because the private sector ineffectively and inefficiently used their money to fund their own pet projects.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Armyman25 posted:

Pretty unbelievable poo poo, yeah. We would 'hire' someone to help deweed the garden. By hire, I mean pay the kid across the street 10 bucks plus lemonade.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

In Florida it's rather common.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Medicare administrative overhead of 2-5%. http://www.cms.gov/MedicareProgramRatesStats/downloads/MedicareMedicaidSummaries2005.pdf

Our bureaucracy is efficient as gently caress.

Wow, thanks for that, I never would have guessed it was that low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Cowboy Pope posted:

Wow, thanks for that, I never would have guessed it was that low.

Private enterprise tends to have a standard of 20-25 percent adminstrative overheard wheras gov'ts tend to have 3-5% on average. Only the corrupt or incompetent gov'ts tend to reach what private enterprise has on average.