Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Yeah, not that big a deal. We didn't do a garter toss, DID do a bouquet toss, sort of did a father/daughter dance...and no novelty songs. No one mentioned anything. There was free beer. They were happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacherkate
Jun 28, 2008
We are going to attach gift cards to the garter and bouquet as incentives.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
We did the garter toss and bouquet toss. As far as music goes, we didn't make the entire playlist; instead we made a list of the songs/artists we definitely wanted to hear (besides our father/daughter song, mother/son song, cake cutting song, and so on), and then we gave the DJs a list of stuff we didn't want to hear, under any circumstances. We mostly did artists of entire genres for this (e.g. NO loving CELINE DION OK), and one or two one-off songs. The DJs also asked us for what types of music we preferred most, and since classic rock was what we agreed on, that was a lot of what was played. It worked really well for us.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Nione posted:

Yeah, we're also not doing a bouquet or garter toss. My bouquet is going to be made from old jewelry and would probably put somebody's eye out.

And we're not doing any "group dancing" songs either. My Dad is really big into line dancing (he gives lessons!) and I don't need my wedding turning into "Learn to Dance the Frisky Cowpoke with the Bride's Father." Plus my fiance hates hates hates the chicken dance after being forced to do it with his grandmother at a gazillion Oktoberfests. We're actually doing all the music ourselves, using an ipod/iphones and renting speakers and equipment. That way even if somebody requests the cha-cha slide, it's "sorry, don't got it!"

We are running out of songs for the playlist, though. What's the ratio of slow songs/fast songs? We're not big dancers and most of the music we listen to isn't really danceable, so I keep leaning to slow songs pretty constantly. I'm concerned that if it's 3 hours of slow songs people will get bored? I've got about 2 hours of music picked out and my brother's going to help as well but does anyone has lists of songs or suggestions that aren't your "typical" wedding songs?

We didn't use any traditional songs for the ceremony or reception. Here's a link to our playlist: http://www.mywedding.com/jessandbrad/music.html Not every song on there was played, but most of them were. We also don't listen to a lot of "normal" music, so picking our own songs was very important to us.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
I've been looking at dresses on Ebay lately- I really want to find a dress that's under $200. I found this for $116 through a highly rated Chinese seller:

What do you guys think? I'm willing to buy more than one dress in case of problems, I just really don't want to pay upwards of $600 or $700 for a single dress.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

dopaMEAN posted:

I've been looking at dresses on Ebay lately- I really want to find a dress that's under $200. I found this for $116 through a highly rated Chinese seller:

What do you guys think? I'm willing to buy more than one dress in case of problems, I just really don't want to pay upwards of $600 or $700 for a single dress.

I was thinking about doing this too and I read online that a lot of people had success. I didn't end up doing it but my future sister-in-law did and the dress that came was nothing like the picture and basically unusable. She ended up buying a $1000 dress from a store after that...

So that's my experience with it. If you have a lot of time and not really high expectations, it might be worth trying. From what I've heard, it's really hard to return them and they usually charge a lot for shipping.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Another good site to check out might be "BlowoutBridal.com." My fiance bought her dress from them and said the experience was good (they called her the next business day to confirm the purchase, double check the sizing). I'm not saying they're perfect - my fiance hasn't seen the dress yet - but so far they seem all right.*

* It was delivered in less than a week, but she had it sent to her hometown (also the location of the wedding) and she currently lives three states away.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

dopaMEAN posted:

I had a coworker get her dress through this route, and she looked amazing in her dress. I thought about doing it that way, but I wound up getting mine at a boutique because I found "the dress." My intention was to go, find something similar to what I had found online, and see if the style was flattering before I purchased something sight unseen - I'm definitely a try before you buy type of gal.

I would still recommend doing that. There's no harm in going into a store to try dresses on, especially if your body type is different than that of the model. If I had bought the dress I originally found, it would've been a huge (unreturnable) mistake. The dress was white, and I have learned that white looks horrid on me. I needed an ivory or champagne dress. Also, you might discover dresses that *are* in your price range in an actual store. I fully expected the dresses at the store I got my dress from to be $1000 minimum, and my dress is less than $600, cheaper than the dresses I found at David's Bridal that were similar.

I would also recommend getting the dress a size larger than what they say you'll need and then getting it tailored to your dimensions, unless you're very consistent with what size you wear. It seems like every time I order clothes online in my size, it winds up being too small.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

Kiri koli posted:

I was thinking about doing this too and I read online that a lot of people had success. I didn't end up doing it but my future sister-in-law did and the dress that came was nothing like the picture and basically unusable. She ended up buying a $1000 dress from a store after that...

So that's my experience with it. If you have a lot of time and not really high expectations, it might be worth trying. From what I've heard, it's really hard to return them and they usually charge a lot for shipping.

My sister tried to do this for her wedding as well, with no success. She was trying to save money, and the dress was ~$200. The first dress was just wrong -- they had messed up the measurements or something. After some hassle (she may have not been able to return it, and had to pay outright for a new one, I can't remember) a second dress came in. It fit, but not nearly how she thought it would on her frame, and she didn't like it at all. She ended up going to some local boutique and buying a dress she tried on and loved (that cost more, of course), and I think selling the other two to a thrift store. YMMV of course, but it imprinted on me that unless you can see the dress on you before you're committed to it, it's likely not worth it.

On another note, I managed to find my wedding gown at a local store, on sale, for right around $500. Not as cheap as the mail-ordered one, but the extra money buys the assurance that it's right. Of course, $500 pales in comparison to how much some people spend on wedding gowns! Shop around a bit and maybe you can find a good sale :)

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
My mom's going to take me out to get a nice sun dress, so it'll be well under $200. I'm so glad I told everyone it's going to be a very casual wedding. Everyone's happy with me, and I get a pretty dress and don't have to feel gross and washed out in white :iia:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Abbeh posted:

My mom's going to take me out to get a nice sun dress, so it'll be well under $200. I'm so glad I told everyone it's going to be a very casual wedding. Everyone's happy with me, and I get a pretty dress and don't have to feel gross and washed out in white :iia:

Where are you shopping for sun dresses? I wanted a nice one for my shower and/or some pictures, but I couldn't find anything that wasn't some horrible pattern or terrible colors. I did just go mall-hopping, but I don't know where else to look.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Eh, we're probably just going to make a day of it and go from store to store starting with TJ Maxx and Marshalls, and probably ending with Nordstrom and whatever else is in that drat mall. Also there's an Off the Rack sort of near me, so I'll probably drag her there as well.

I'm not sure they have them in stock quite yet, but I probably wont be looking until the end of April or Mayish

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
We're in the early stages now of pre-planning for a May 4th 2011 wedding. Haven't confirmed dates with anywhere yet so it's still just an ideal date not a definite one.

Luckily, my other half has found dresses she likes in the 100-150 range. I think it was in John Lewis or British Home Stores (opposite each other, so not sure which) so not a potentially shady unseen Chinese website either, but a respected highstreet retailer where she can try it on and the like.

All in, we're hoping to do the whole thing for around 3000ish. We've made provisional budget estimates that seem to hit that sort of mark. Obviously once we properly look at things it'll probably cost us twice that. :(

Friendly Geek
Aug 11, 2005
Your friendly neighborhood geek. Friendly and/or geeky since 1982.
I had a great experience with my local David's Bridal (Massapequa, NY, for anyone on Long Island.) and managed to catch a deal the night before a $99 sale. Since they were a fairly new store (last Sept.) they didn't have a whole lot of people actually trying on all the dresses there, so the one that I got was in really great condition and it was on sale. For all of my undergarments, and the total princess dress that I got (looks similar to Belle's yellow dress, only a different neckline), it cost me a grand total of $228.

On the sundress front, I'd definitely suggest looking into going to Dress Barn, if you have one near you. I found a few really cute dresses that I liked and that didn't look awful on me either.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees
On the subject of cheap dresses, this was my dress and I was very pleased. Cheap, but very well sewn, exactly like the picture, and fit me perfectly. Never needed alterations. So, I would recommend LilyWedding. I just try not to think of all the little kids who probably stitched it together...

Cabana Boi <3
Nov 5, 2004
My fiance got her dress from here: http://juliusbridal.com/

took ~2 months to arrive, but she loved it.. she paid ~300 with shipping

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

maso posted:

On the subject of cheap dresses, this was my dress and I was very pleased. Cheap, but very well sewn, exactly like the picture, and fit me perfectly. Never needed alterations. So, I would recommend LilyWedding. I just try not to think of all the little kids who probably stitched it together...

I always loved this dress. Do you have a pic of the REAL THING. Preferably, on you?

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Eris posted:

I always loved this dress. Do you have a pic of the REAL THING. Preferably, on you?

Sure.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
I forgot I had seen your photos and loved the dress then too! We have a similar body shape/type and you have made my not-even-engaged-I'm-a-psycho day.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Eris posted:

I forgot I had seen your photos and loved the dress then too! We have a similar body shape/type and you have made my not-even-engaged-I'm-a-psycho day.

There's nothing wrong with planning ahead :colbert:

In thinking about planning ahead, I just realized that all the color schemes I'd considered would look awful with my totally-not-even-engaged-I'm-a-psycho boyfriend's hair (red, similar to Maso's). Hmm, better keep an eye out for more neutrally colored men...

Communista
Mar 13, 2005

Ah, yes. The sweeping majesty of young, white Republican love
I've found a lot of dresses I like on that website and also http://lightinthebox.com - It's the same idea, and LITB actually has some dresses around 100 dollars.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
LITB is really hit or miss from the reviews I can find. http://millybridal.com is more expensive in comparison, but they have almost universally good reviews. Milly also has several photos of the dresses they make and not photos of the designer gown they're knocking off. When I'm ready to order, I'll probably go with Milly over lilywedding.com, but both are considered the best possible Chinese outlets online for wedding gowns.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

dopaMEAN posted:

I would definitely try on any dress you're thinking about buying. I bought my dress here: http://www.idoidobridal.com/home.html (Phoenix AZ local) and they were great. They have a huge range of prices and thousands of dresses to choose from. They are appointment only, so the place isn't mobbed like David's Bridal. The lady I had helping me worked really hard to find the perfect dress. This was the first place I went dress-shopping and I ended up buying one that day.

edit: This place http://www.thewasonline.com/ is great for all the little wedding things - they sell everything except wedding gowns. I got married in Phoenix two years ago so if you have any questions, let me know. Congrats to you and Doc!

Prolonged Shame fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 4, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I couldn't believe the cost of men's wedding bands when we looked yesterday. At least a couple thousand for gold, just because of the size of my sausages (12?).

I went with sterling silver with a 2mm by 1cm strip of 18k gold that looks good either centered or off-center. Simple but unique and timeless all at the same time.

Fiancee's getting a custom made white gold w/ diamond one to match her custom made engagement ring and it still costs less than mine.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

leidend posted:

I couldn't believe the cost of men's wedding bands when we looked yesterday. At least a couple thousand for gold, just because of the size of my sausages (12?).

I think that they were trying to sell you a designer ring line. In your size I have simple 14k gold wedding bands in the $200 to $500 range. Here are some examples:

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider

leidend posted:

I went with sterling silver with a 2mm by 1cm strip of 18k gold that looks good either centered or off-center. Simple but unique and timeless all at the same time.

Fiancee's getting a custom made white gold w/ diamond one to match her custom made engagement ring and it still costs less than mine.

Cripes, I went to the mall and picked up a simple 5mm titanium band for $100.

I know I will lose it eventually, so I bought a spare.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JohnnyRnR posted:

I wanted to give Johnny a plug...he's working with me on a custom design, and being pretty awesome about it.

I'm still getting emails from him at night on a Friday, which I by no means expected to get returned so quickly.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Has anybody had to deal with a wedding where your parent/grandparent has a bad illness?

My dad has been battling with ALS for 7 years now. I got engaged recently and was debating on where to have the wedding (hometown where my parents live or elsewhere). I'd really like it in a place other than the hometown because I love the church and priest in the other place. I would do it in my hometown if it's easier on my dad being there for the wedding.

Well I just chatted with my dad a couple days ago and he said it would be too much of a bother for him to come to the wedding no matter where it's being held. While this is just really disheartening news, I understand how he feels that way. He can't walk, eat, or write without help and even getting him a few blocks away would be really hard on my mom and my brother who'd have to take care of him the entire time.

So I'm trying to brainstorm ideas on how I can include him in my wedding without him actually being there. Has anybody else been in this situation and could offer advice?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Ms. Happiness posted:

Has anybody had to deal with a wedding where your parent/grandparent has a bad illness?

I hate citing Say Yes to the Dress, but I was watching one day while making dinner, and one of the brides was in a similar situation. Her mom had terminal cancer, and what she did was have a small, intimate ceremony at her mom's house with just the closest family members present, and then had a larger ceremony later for everyone to attend. The mom was able to see the daughter get married before she passed and to me, it seemed like a beautiful way to honor the mother.

I don't know if you're able to do that; another option would be to set up a webcam so that your dad can watch in real time. My family did this for me for Thanksgiving. They're in WI and I'm in CA and my job situation was in flux so by the time I found a job that paid Thanksgiving as a holiday, it was too late to buy reasonably priced tickets. We had the webcams fired up and I watched them eat while they watched me cook. It was a nice way to spend my first Thanksgiving without my family.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Wow, I've been doing the sums, and it looks like our wedding should (if we haven't forgotten anything) cost somewhere in the region of 3500-4000, including the honeymoon (but not spending money on said honeymoon). And of that, 1000 is a guestimate of how much will be stuck behind the bar at the reception (hoping to get somewhere cheap or free with a minimum spend agreed in advance to cover it). Another 800-1000 is us feeding the 30-odd people we'll be inviting to the ceremony and dinner rather than just the reception.

I know it's on the extremely cheap side, but at the same time... Four grand? On one day and a honeymoon? Over half of that on feeding other people and getting them drunk?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Ms. Happiness posted:

My dad has been battling with ALS for 7 years now. I got engaged recently and was debating on where to have the wedding (hometown where my parents live or elsewhere). I'd really like it in a place other than the hometown because I love the church and priest in the other place. I would do it in my hometown if it's easier on my dad being there for the wedding.

Well I just chatted with my dad a couple days ago and he said it would be too much of a bother for him to come to the wedding no matter where it's being held. While this is just really disheartening news, I understand how he feels that way. He can't walk, eat, or write without help and even getting him a few blocks away would be really hard on my mom and my brother who'd have to take care of him the entire time.

So I'm trying to brainstorm ideas on how I can include him in my wedding without him actually being there. Has anybody else been in this situation and could offer advice?

I haven't been in this situation, but would it be possible to hire nurses and/or aids to help out with transportation and other issues?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Masonity posted:

Wow, I've been doing the sums, and it looks like our wedding should (if we haven't forgotten anything) cost somewhere in the region of 3500-4000, including the honeymoon (but not spending money on said honeymoon). And of that, 1000 is a guestimate of how much will be stuck behind the bar at the reception (hoping to get somewhere cheap or free with a minimum spend agreed in advance to cover it). Another 800-1000 is us feeding the 30-odd people we'll be inviting to the ceremony and dinner rather than just the reception.

I know it's on the extremely cheap side, but at the same time... Four grand? On one day and a honeymoon? Over half of that on feeding other people and getting them drunk?
Count your blessings. At least you aren't marrying into a massive and alcoholic Irish family. I think we're inviting about 180 family members.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
You too, eh? 120 at least coming to our wedding. To help with the food, we're getting a local roast beef place to cater some and asking people to bring their favorite dishes (like a potluck). In fact with our hall and food we're still going to come in under $500 (NOT an open bar - if folks want to drink a lot they can come to our house afterward and be rowdy). I'm hanging Tibetan prayer flags for decorations ($15 for ten sets) and leaving lavender sachets on the tables as favors for folks who want them (my mom got the lavender, 50 bags were $8). We may or may not get rings to exchange - neither of us likes wearing them - but we'll spend $125 at most for a pair.

And I don't know about other folks, but four grand is not cheap.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Abbeh posted:

You too, eh? 120 at least coming to our wedding. To help with the food, we're getting a local roast beef place to cater some and asking people to bring their favorite dishes (like a potluck). In fact with our hall and food we're still going to come in under $500 (NOT an open bar - if folks want to drink a lot they can come to our house afterward and be rowdy). I'm hanging Tibetan prayer flags for decorations ($15 for ten sets) and leaving lavender sachets on the tables as favors for folks who want them (my mom got the lavender, 50 bags were $8). We may or may not get rings to exchange - neither of us likes wearing them - but we'll spend $125 at most for a pair.

I like the way you think. I would do this in a heartbeat if I could, but I know my fiance wants something a little bigger. I think we are going to do it in January of 2012- we had wanted to do April but I guess my PhD program will have me doing a tough round of exams at that time.

Do you think it really matters if we ignore the traditional "wintery" type things? We want to do a really bold, clean looking wedding, I think we're looking at deep blue and orange as our colors. I would do it in the spring if I could but I'd either have to wait another year or do it for less than $1000.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Abbeh posted:

It's not cheap for me, but it's cheap compared to what most weddings seem to be coming out at these days.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

dopaMEAN posted:

Do you think it really matters if we ignore the traditional "wintery" type things? We want to do a really bold, clean looking wedding, I think we're looking at deep blue and orange as our colors. I would do it in the spring if I could but I'd either have to wait another year or do it for less than $1000.

Absolutely do it the way you want to. Besides, what will folks remember and enjoy more, generic wedding crap or something colorful and fun?

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

Abbeh posted:

Absolutely do it the way you want to. Besides, what will folks remember and enjoy more, generic wedding crap or something colorful and fun?

I've found that, at most weddings, guests remember the length of the ceremony (especially if it is long or if there is a HUGE gap between the ceremony and reception), the food/drink and the music/dancing. In fact, talking to most of my guy friends, it's all about the food/drink and music.

Most of the guests at my wedding couldn't even tell me now what my colours/decorations were or anything like that -- but they do remember the dinner. And honestly, until I planned my wedding, I couldn't remember the details about the weddings I'd been to. It's all about the fun stuff that impacts guests directly -- typically food and dancing! :) So have whatever theme you want in whatever season you want!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

anythingbutbloo posted:

In fact, talking to most of my guy friends, it's all about the food/drink and music.
Or even just the drinks and the music.

The decorations and poo poo are mostly just to make the woman happy.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

superbelch posted:

I haven't been in this situation, but would it be possible to hire nurses and/or aids to help out with transportation and other issues?

Well my mom and brother pretty much take care of him really well. It's just hell trying to get him out since he has to be on a breathing machine the entire time.

I was thinking more along the lines of having a smaller ceremony at my parent's house like vanessa mentioned. That seems to be the best idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smai
Feb 20, 2006
Has anyone ever gotten legally married, not told a soul, and then had a gigantic one-year anniversary party to let everyone know and celebrate the love still being there (as well as a major national statistical defeat)? I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I would be interested to see how it goes over with friends and family.