Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

Chapter 61 is out. Despite having no real fighting, it was much more interesting than the past few chapters.

Hey you linked the last page of the chapter you goober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

So has Canute lost his philosophy to greed or is it a front...?

It also may be an excuse to continue blood shed like thorkill wanted.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Still one of my favorite manga. I do like that they've cut back to Canute- his story promises to be quite interesting still.

Zorak posted:

So has Canute lost his philosophy to greed or is it a front...?
Nah, as the whole 'Oh yeah, kill all those looters as an example' bit showed, he's still got his Christian idealism firmly in mind, but he's no longer afraid to do whatever it takes to reach his goal. His reaction at the end of this chapter is doubtlessly because no amount would make him withdraw his forces- he's there to take Mercia, not some petty bribe.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

Still one of my favorite manga. I do like that they've cut back to Canute- his story promises to be quite interesting still.

Nah, as the whole 'Oh yeah, kill all those looters as an example' bit showed, he's still got his Christian idealism firmly in mind, but he's no longer afraid to do whatever it takes to reach his goal. His reaction at the end of this chapter is doubtlessly because no amount would make him withdraw his forces- he's there to take Mercia, not some petty bribe.

Yeah I'm guessing this is it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
New Chapter

Things are moving along pretty fast it seems. Needs more pages though, only 21 pages once a month isn't enough.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder how this will relate to Thorfinn's story.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Jesus, Canute is hardcore. Good job Askeladd.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress yeah, Canute is awesome.

EDIT: Out on Onemanga.

http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/62/01/

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 22, 2010

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

History time! The English king who died off screen this chapter was known as Ethelred the Unready, which is a hilariously insulting epithet, but is actually a mistranslation of an Old English pun. He was really called Ĉŝelrĉd Unrĉd, his name Ĉŝelrĉd literally meaning 'good advice,' and his epithet Unrĉd litereally meaning 'bad advice.' This probably refers to the bad advice he had been given throughout his life, rather than any personal failing on his part (though certainly the fact that he took the bad advice says something).

As for the chapter: drat, Canute. He has come a long way from the quiet kid in the cart who looked like a girl.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Chapter 63

Watch the thrilling slave adventures as they try and acquire a horse :suicide:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

bondster posted:

Chapter 63

That was quite an... interesting transition from Chapter 62. I will say no more.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

bondster posted:

Chapter 63

So, I went to reread some of the old chapters because that old man looks familiar. God drat is this series awesome, I loving love the old chapters. We need to get off this farm and back to the madness.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JerseyMonkey posted:

So, I went to reread some of the old chapters because that old man looks familiar. God drat is this series awesome, I loving love the old chapters. We need to get off this farm and back to the madness.

It's going to be hilarious when it turns out all the fighting took place in the prologue. From here on out it's just farming, followed by sailing, followed by some more farming.

Thrill as Thorfinn learns the advantages of rotating crops. Laugh as the sailors refuse to lend Einar a sextant. Cry as corn smut(no really, its an actual disease) ravages the Vineland crops.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Monthly series should not be only 20 pages long. My balls are turning an unhealthy shade of blue.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009
I think the author is on a farmville binge.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

L.E. Cheetah posted:

Monthly series should not be only 20 pages long. My balls are turning an unhealthy shade of blue.

The fact that this is a monthly series is pretty much the only negative about this series.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Alkaiser posted:

I think the author is on a farmville binge.

Zorak rename thread to Vinland Saga - It's Farmville, Manga Edition!

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
I for one love their farming adventures. A further year of this might kill me, but for now I can't explain it, but I'm enjoying it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Gyges posted:

It's going to be hilarious when it turns out all the fighting took place in the prologue. From here on out it's just farming, followed by sailing, followed by some more farming.
You joke but going by Planetes it might happen and it'll be awesome.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

apekillape posted:

I for one love their farming adventures. A further year of this might kill me, but for now I can't explain it, but I'm enjoying it.

I guess if you had read all the way through the kick rear end prologue this might be a nice change of pace but at the rate that it comes out is just so slow that it feels like nothing is happening.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volume posted:

I guess if you had read all the way through the kick rear end prologue this might be a nice change of pace but at the rate that it comes out is just so slow that it feels like nothing is happening.
I agree insomuch as I want more awesome farming inaction, but I've been following this on a monthly basis for ages and I don't feel any less dissatisfied with a bit of monthly farming action than I did with a bit of monthly viking action.

That said I hate monthly manga in general (even the awesome ones like this one) for being so drat slow.

Farms are awesome, though. Einar's really growing on me.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This series would actually make perfect sense if it became a manga about farming and sailing.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

JerseyMonkey posted:

Is that who I think it is? Leif what's his name?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Senor P. posted:

Is that who I think it is? Leif what's his name?
Can't be.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Goddamn, that's the best name for a chapter I ever saw.

need a horse.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JerseyMonkey posted:

So, I went to reread some of the old chapters because that old man looks familiar.

Where from? Have an issue link? My internet connection is slow as hell, and I don't have time to go through umpteen chapters to satisfy a minor curiosity.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Need a Horse 2: Suck Harder

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

At first I thought "Suck Harder" was referring to all the work they did. Now I just see that it refers to jack poo poo happening!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Well atleast the title bar was amusing. Vinland Saga 64. Brings me back a few years :)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love the Need a Horse Saga. It's somehow calming -_-

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Thorfinn is learning how to be a human again. It can't all be epic horse punching, and good character development is never a bad thing.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
I dunno about you guys, but I love the farming chapters. I still wish the chapters were longer, but not because it's about farming, I just wish we got MORE Vinland Saga overall.

So ya, it's definitely not a writing issue, it's just a release pacing issue, me.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

apekillape posted:

So ya, it's definitely not a writing issue, it's just a release pacing issue, me.

You'll hear no arguments from me here. The farming wouldn't be a big deal for me if I didn't have to wait 2 months to get to the next issue of Vinland Saga 65: Need a plow.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Volume posted:

You'll hear no arguments from me here. The farming wouldn't be a big deal for me if I didn't have to wait 2 months to get to the next issue of Vinland Saga 65: Need a plow.

Hey y'all got it easy. Waiting for new chapters about farming might be rough, but i started this bastard when chapter 1 came out, and waiting for the second half to a fight is even worse :| I was just happy that I forgot about it for like a year and had a bunch to catch up on

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Grew up on a farm and hate farming, so I have no idea why I'm liking this so much!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Volume posted:

At first I thought "Suck Harder" was referring to all the work they did. Now I just see that it refers to jack poo poo happening!
Jack poo poo happening? Are you kidding? Did you see how many stumps they pulled up with that horse? They might even be able to plant crops by fall! Bad. rear end.

I hope Farming Saga never ends.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009
In about a year I think Einar will finally be able to afford the blue feather and propose to that girl that works for the master.

Oops mixed up the names

Alkaiser fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 25, 2010

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alkaiser posted:

In about a year I think Ketil will finally be able to afford the blue feather and propose to that girl that works for the master.

I thought that was the master's mistress.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Zorak change the thread title to
Vinland Saga - The Vikings, They're farming [56k need a horse]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I thought that was the master's mistress.

Well it says she's his personal maid, if it was implied somewhere then I missed it.