Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Asile posted:

It's the Awful and bizarre art by people you know thread.

This is an absolutely amazing thread for anyone who's been to art school, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

pipes! posted:

This is an absolutely amazing thread for anyone who's been to art school, by the way.

well i'm not there yet so all the artists I know are really good. I'm sure I'll have things to post there in a while.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

This may be a stupid question, but is there any difference, in terms of quality, between SCAD and SCAD-Atlanta? I just got accepted to SCAD-Atlanta for visual effects and it seemed that my acceptance was too easy.

Unless you're getting $15k/year in scholarships SCAD is a huge debt to take on. I went to SCAD in Savannah for a semester before I realized that I couldn't afford it, and the VFX program wasn't exactly worth it. I left there and started attending Gnomon School in Hollywood and I have to say it was a much better decision to take. If I did it again I'd pick between Gnomon and VFS (I couldn't get loans for VFS, but I'm glad I didn't because Gnomon is much better than expected).

Unlike SCAD the majority of instructors at Gnomon are still actively working in VFX or video games. And since the program isn't 4 years long it's much faster paced. SCAD has amazing labs for sure, but the instructors are iffy.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 13, 2010

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
SCAD's only 30K. Don't most other big name art schools charge similar to this?

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

zaepg posted:

SCAD's only 30K. Don't most other big name art schools charge similar to this?

Depends on your residency. I believe SCAD was going to cost me $80k a year. SVA in New York is also very expensive. I ended up going to Kendall College of Art and Design in Michigan, which is under $20k a year, and their school has been improving a lot since I started there in 2005.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

Asile posted:

There happens to be a thread in GBS right now which has quite a bit of SCAD chat scattered throughout it. I'm positive your question is answered in anecdotal form, though I can't remember exactly what was said. It's the Awful and bizarre art by people you know thread.

ugh why don't they post in the Savannah goon meet thread ever. I want more people to drink with.

SCAD-Atlanta is actually on the up-and-up. A couple of the more decent professors have moved there because, hey, Atlanta is a better place to live compared to Savannah, especially after you've been here a couple years.

And yeah, SCAD tuition is only about 30k. But I declared Georgia residency when I moved here, so YMMV.

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

*BBRRRR* It's cold in here!
Hey, I was just given the greenlight to move forward on the production of a video for a 3.5 minute song that both teaches some advanced scientific concepts as well as showcases the band members playing their instruments with many action shots.

I created the whole video concept, including tying in the very technical science angles, and will now be production designing, character designing, animated in after effects/cinema4d, editing in final cut, and finishing.

I have absolutely no idea how much to charge for that amount of work. What are some rough figures for what you would charge? I will be giving them a large breakdown of the budget requirements, including if I need to hire some additional crew members to help in the production.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm still in high school and will be going to MICA this fall.

MICA offers study in 2D animation, which ideally I would be all over if it weren't for my doubt of realistically how majoring in this field would be beneficial to a future career.
Is 2D animation in the US alive? Maybe I'm not looking in the right direction but it seems like the law of the land is that it's 3D animation or nothing. I think when most people, especially on the west hear 2D animation they instantly think of cartoons, comedy, and children shows. Off the top of my head the The Boondocks hits me as a good example of a western show that illustrates the kind of market I'd be interested in working with - the young adult, or older crowd.

What's the kind of availability in America for this kind of stuff? I'm interested in learning either Korean or Japanese, so would I be better off just holding out and trying to find work over there?

zaepg fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 23, 2010

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

zaepg posted:

I'm still in high school and will be going to MICA this fall.

MICA offers study in 2D animation, which ideally I would be all over if it weren't for my doubt of realistically how majoring in this field would be beneficial to a future career.
Is 2D animation in the US alive? Maybe I'm not looking in the right direction but it seems like the law of the land is that it's 3D animation or nothing. I think when most people, especially on the west hear 2D animation they instantly think of cartoons, comedy, and children shows. Off the top of my head the The Boondocks hits me as a good example of a western show that illustrates the kind of market I'd be interested in working with - the young adult, or older crowd.

What's the kind of availability in America for this kind of stuff? I'm interested in learning either Korean or Japanese, so would I be better off just holding out and trying to find work over there?

Actually, a lot of schools still teach 2D animation, you just have to look in the right place and a lot of them pair it up with some sort of 3D animation curriculum.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I know that, I was asking though what the market for 2D animation is like.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

There is still some, mostly for cartoons and flash animations for casual games. It is not as widespread as 3D is now though.

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

I am really taking an interest in Motion Graphics/Media, switching from Graphic Design. Looking at motion graphic reels interests me, and I am pretty well versed in print and static web stuff.

Are there any recommended schools out there? I notice SCAD has a Motion Media program, but that seems like a rarity. Most schools I look at have a Graphic Design, Video, Web or even VFX program, but no in-between that focuses on After Effects or Flash and the like. Am I going about this wrong? Or is this just a really small field?

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

Prylex3 posted:

I am really taking an interest in Motion Graphics/Media, switching from Graphic Design. Looking at motion graphic reels interests me, and I am pretty well versed in print and static web stuff.

Are there any recommended schools out there? I notice SCAD has a Motion Media program, but that seems like a rarity. Most schools I look at have a Graphic Design, Video, Web or even VFX program, but no in-between that focuses on After Effects or Flash and the like. Am I going about this wrong? Or is this just a really small field?

Motion graphics is still an emerging field, but I would definitely look into working in After Effects, Cinema4D, Maya, and Mocha. I would skip learning Flash, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know of any schools that teach this field, as it's lumped into video programs mostly. It's not all that hard to learn AE or Cinema4D on your own, especially if you're coming from a Photoshop/Illustrator environment.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Prylex3 posted:

The Cinema 4d mograph plugin is pretty drat awesome and easy to use. As far as schooling goes, I have no idea. Like what erotic crab said, the C4D and AF are pretty easy to learn on your own.

grantsnx
Mar 11, 2006
Forget Regret
I'm currently deciding between RIT & Parsons for Graphic Design/Communication Design. I'm currently leaning towards RIT, just because it would be cheaper for me with scholarships and financial aid, but I think that at Parsons I would have more opportunities to make contacts and meet with people in the industry. I'm visiting both schools in 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any advice?

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

Erotic Crab posted:

Motion graphics is still an emerging field, but I would definitely look into working in After Effects, Cinema4D, Maya, and Mocha. I would skip learning Flash, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know of any schools that teach this field, as it's lumped into video programs mostly. It's not all that hard to learn AE or Cinema4D on your own, especially if you're coming from a Photoshop/Illustrator environment.

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

The Cinema 4d mograph plugin is pretty drat awesome and easy to use. As far as schooling goes, I have no idea. Like what erotic crab said, the C4D and AF are pretty easy to learn on your own.

Cool, thanks for the input. Since my Graphic Design program is pretty much all about print, I have been playing with AE and C4D on my own. I have considered teaching myself, but am curious what I would be missing out on - theory classes, connections, or just honing my skills and knowledge in video/motion.

RiceTaco
Jul 15, 2003

by Ozma

Prylex3 posted:

Cool, thanks for the input. Since my Graphic Design program is pretty much all about print, I have been playing with AE and C4D on my own. I have considered teaching myself, but am curious what I would be missing out on - theory classes, connections, or just honing my skills and knowledge in video/motion.

My school had 2 classes on motion graphics. It was just learning the basics of After Effects and learning the tools and doing tutorials. But it's nice to have someone to help you out if you get stuck or explain how/what does what rather then reading text or following youtube videos. You would be missing out on getting critiqued and ultimately improving your projects. You're more likely to push yourself to actually do good work. Whenever I follow those video tutorials, I usually half rear end it because the end product doesn't really matter because i'm not turning it in for a grade.

But if I wanted to get into that field, I would take more classes since there's a lot to learn and other programs to learn as well.

RiceTaco fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 30, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Saw this on Core77

Erotic Crab
Oct 16, 2004

I got into the Parsons Design & Technology MFA program with some scholarships - does anyone have any experience with this program? It seems pretty good...debating whether to dive in or continue working professionally...

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
At this rate, I'm not really sure where this post belongs, but I figured I should ask all the CC folks.

I'm currently working as a textbook editorial coordinator, but I'm pretty much chomping at the bit to move away from traditional media. The only four things I grew up interested in doing were comedy acting, fiction writing/screenwriting, filmmaking, and cartooning. I'm 26 now and I'm in NYC, considering a move to LA. I originally moved to New York because that was where the live comedy and the publishing industries were, but now I'm ready to move on.

I've got about four years of work experience with internships in production at the Onion News Network and an editorial internship with Virgin Comics to boot and experience as a cartoonist for my school newspaper. I also have a few friends in the business encouraging me to go out there when I can.

Does anyone here live and work in LA right now? In light of the economy and the current state of California, would it be a wise idea to move there after another six or eight months? Also, at my age, would it be wiser to teach myself the art fundamentals I missed in my English degree and take sporadic classes or go back to graduate school for a full degree?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Gray Ghost posted:

At this rate, I'm not really sure where this post belongs, but I figured I should ask all the CC folks.

I'm currently working as a textbook editorial coordinator, but I'm pretty much chomping at the bit to move away from traditional media. The only four things I grew up interested in doing were comedy acting, fiction writing/screenwriting, filmmaking, and cartooning. I'm 26 now and I'm in NYC, considering a move to LA. I originally moved to New York because that was where the live comedy and the publishing industries were, but now I'm ready to move on.

I've got about four years of work experience with internships in production at the Onion News Network and an editorial internship with Virgin Comics to boot and experience as a cartoonist for my school newspaper. I also have a few friends in the business encouraging me to go out there when I can.

Does anyone here live and work in LA right now? In light of the economy and the current state of California, would it be a wise idea to move there after another six or eight months? Also, at my age, would it be wiser to teach myself the art fundamentals I missed in my English degree and take sporadic classes or go back to graduate school for a full degree?

Education question first: What, specifically, do you want to do out here? Acting, fiction writing, screenwriting, and cartooning (do you mean animation or print?) are drastically different disciplines. I can only really speak for screenwriting, but I can tell you it's nothing like writing novels or short stories. Like, not even a little tiny bit.

As you know, the job market here is remarkably lousy, but creative jobs are always hard to get anyway. You might be able to leverage your internship at ONN into some other web video or entry-level TV gig, but it probably wouldn't be a creative job unless you were producing it yourself.

If you want to be a screenwriter, yes, you need to move to LA. There are some writing gigs in NY, but it's easier to get off the ground in LA. You'll also have to really really know what you're doing and have a lot of experience and a lot of other stuff I can better answer in the screenwriting thread, but Screenwriting = Yes to LA.

Cartooning = No to LA. Modern cartooning is on the web anyway, and you can be an illustrator anywhere. Even if you want to get into comic books or graaphic novelsss, that's a freelancey thing you can seriously do anywhere in the country. Move somewhere where the rents are cheap and take a bunch of art classes, focusing on figure drawing.

Fiction Writing = Same thing. Live cheaply somewhere, hone your skills, send your manuscripts off from the comfort of home.

Comedy Acting = Probably to LA. Depends on what you want to do. New York and Chicago are great for sketch and improv, but if you want to be in TV or film, LA it is. You'll need a day job of some sort, so now we're back to the "crippling unemployment in California" problem.

When you say you have friends in "the business," do you mean the entertainment industry? It's hard to give you more specific advice without knowing what you're actually asking about here.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Slashie posted:

Questions and answers.

Thanks for taking the time to give me such a long and thoughtful answer. I wasn't sure if anyone would be able to offer some advice, so I kept my reply pretty brief on purpose. But, for detail, here goes:

I originally moved to New York to see if I could make it work as a writer/editor and to make contacts with other editors and writers (and because I wasn't ready to go so far West as soon as I graduated college).

In college, I wrote a pretty decent (according to my professor) feature-length screenplay and did a bunch of PA work for my professor and students on their academic short films.

About eight or nine months into my New York life, I finally took a break from my first job (in finance) to train at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre in improv and sketch comedy. I did pretty well in all of my classes, but so far I've been unable to put out a regular bunch of shows due to a busy work schedule. Also, getting on one of the famous "Harold Teams" here at the theatre is pretty hard to do if you've got a 9 to 5 and you can't spend a lot of time or money at the training center honing your craft.

To compensate, I started an indie improv troupe two years ago and we play shows all around Manhattan and at various improv festivals and universities in the Eastern part of the country. A lot of folks love us and it's been an amazing ride so far.

I managed to get background, speaking, and starring bits in online web videos through my friends at College Humor and ESPN Magazine. I recently did a bit for Atom.com and another friend is promising me a major role in an independent, 30-minute comedy pilot he and a friend are producing for sale. I'm pretty stoked about that, even though I've been running on empty sleep-wise to make it all work out.

I have a few friends out in LA who are doing really great things. My friend who's still in school for directing just took a meeting at ICM and my other actor friend is filming a a series that recently got picked up for a full run after a successful pilot.

My other connections are through my university's alumni program. I recently connected several of them to College Humor and some Comedy Central intern coordinators and I think they would help me out if I managed to get out to LA. I don't want to say who, but two of them are development execs at Gran Via and CBS respectively.

When I first got out here, I tried applying to the NBC Page program with no success. This year, I am going to submit a spec script to the ABC Writing Fellowship when application time rolls around.

As for fiction and cartooning, they are both my first loves. I know that I can do them anywhere, but I wanted to see what kind of communities existed for them in Los Angeles. In my ideal completely make-believe existence, I've been working as a story artist and voice-over for Pixar since my graduation from Ringling and I let off steam by doing Funny or Die videos and writing for McSweeney's. Totally realistic, right? :rolleyes:

I guess more than anything else I want to be writing and/or acting for television and film. I felt that living in New York would train me to become better at both of those things so that I could eventually make the jump, but now I feel like I need to go out and make connections before I get any closer to 30.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Gray Ghost posted:

I guess more than anything else I want to be writing and/or acting for television and film. I felt that living in New York would train me to become better at both of those things so that I could eventually make the jump, but now I feel like I need to go out and make connections before I get any closer to 30.

Yep, pretty much. I'm relieved to see you're not starting at zero. Too many times I have to be like "first try turning a camera on and see where you go from there." If I were you I'd spend, say, six months to a year saving up money, possibly while working with a writer's group or taking some screenwriting classes, then move out to LA, get a day job, and work your rear end off. Your resume sounds like it has, you know, grown-up jobs on it, so while getting a job in Cali certainly won't be easy, you won't be competing with the drama-club dropouts for table-waiting gigs either.

You have good connections and a little experience. Come out here, develop those connections, build more, take weird little one-off gigs like AD-ing your buddy's independent feature or scripting a web-only sock-puppet procedural drama or whatever, keep writing, and see where it takes you.

...Man, I never tell people to actually keep their dreams of Hollywood. Feels weird.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

Slashie posted:

...Man, I never tell people to actually keep their dreams of Hollywood. Feels weird.

Yeah, well, remember what it was like when someone told you you'd never make it. Then imagine how great it feels when you read someone write the opposite.

Thanks so much.

Impper
May 10, 2003

Slashie, do you have any suggestions for what to look for in a screenwriting class? I'm in Chicago, if that helps...

I have no idea where to start as far as this goes. I was thinking of learning, at the very least, proper manuscript formatting and stuff like that on my own. Is that better learned in a class, or is that something that's no problem to self-teach?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Impper posted:

Slashie, do you have any suggestions for what to look for in a screenwriting class? I'm in Chicago, if that helps...

I have no idea where to start as far as this goes. I was thinking of learning, at the very least, proper manuscript formatting and stuff like that on my own. Is that better learned in a class, or is that something that's no problem to self-teach?
You can definitely teach yourself formatting. It's not hard at all. Start out with The Hollywood Standard, which lays it all out for you.

Then get a screenwriting program - Final Draft is the best, but CeltX is free. It'll format for you, but now you'll know why and be able to tell when you need to make adjustments. For example, you capitalize sound effects like:
code:
Trace fires the rocket launcher at the bookmobile, blowing it 
to pieces with an earth-shaking KABOOM.
But Final Draft can't tell what words are SFX and what words aren't, so you have to know to do that yourself. Then read some of the basics from the screenwriting how-to shelf, like:

Save the Cat

Screenplay by Syd Field

Crafty Screenwriting

Stay away from any of the books with a get-rich-quick slant, like "How to Write a Screenplay in X Days" or "Writing Screenplays that are Guaranteed to Sell for a Bajillion Dollars We Swear."

Once you've got a grasp of the basic ideas, try knocking out a short or two, then look at classes. I went to some screenings at Chicago Filmmakers back in the day, and they seem pretty on the ball.

There's also Chicago Screenwriters and some screenwriting groups and this pretty cool staged reading group. I have no personal experience with any of these places, but check them out. Oh, and I heard Steve Zacharias teaches at Columbia now, and he's pretty awesome. Don't hold Eddie against him.

Oh, and read real screenplays whenever you can. The internet has lots, but some of them are just transcripts. I'm pretty sure both the city and the major college libraries have good collections of real screenplays though.

Slashie fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 2, 2010

Impper
May 10, 2003

Awesome, great, thanks a lot. I've actually read Save the Cat through a few times just so I could...know things...about movies...and I read screenplays all the time. Well, time to get to work then

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Impper posted:

Awesome, great, thanks a lot. I've actually read Save the Cat through a few times just so I could...know things...about movies...and I read screenplays all the time. Well, time to get to work then
Be sure to post your script in the screenwriting thread for a sound thrashing when the time comes. :)

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
first off that resume design kicks rear end. Second, a guy wants to commission me to do concept art for him and I have no idea how much I should charge him

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Slashie posted:

Then get a screenwriting program - Final Draft is the best, but CeltX is free. It'll format for you, but now you'll know why and be able to tell when you need to make adjustments. For example, you capitalize sound effects like:
code:
Trace fires the rocket launcher at the bookmobile, blowing it 
to pieces with an earth-shaking KABOOM.

Thank you thank you thank you! for pointing out CeltX. I just downloaded it and LOVE it! I am going to use it for comic book scripting. I love the whole reference attachment and character profile part. Never used Final Draft (couldn't find a free version for Mac), but I don't think I'll be missing out. This is great.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

anaaki posted:

Thank you thank you thank you! for pointing out CeltX. I just downloaded it and LOVE it! I am going to use it for comic book scripting. I love the whole reference attachment and character profile part. Never used Final Draft (couldn't find a free version for Mac), but I don't think I'll be missing out. This is great.

Glad I could help! Personally I can't stand CeltX for screenwriting, but I do think it's cool that they bundled in so many extra features, like the comic script templates and storyboarding and scheduling and stuff like that.

atomicbuddha
May 11, 2007
Why is Nietzsche in my tree fort?

Efilnikufesin posted:

My High School requires that I go on an unpaid internship for a month. Do any of you guys know of any good graphic design companies around Philadelphia?

This might be a little late for you, but I've heard good things about 160over90. I've been planning to apply for one of their copywriter internships, but it just never seems to materialize.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
I recently graduated and am now actively seeking junior copywriter positions at an agency near you.

The question in my mind, however, is if I have the material for it. This is especially considering that it's an employer's market. Should I instead be seeking internships with a nifty agency as a means of getting my foot in the door? Any creatives who have an opinion on this would be great. I can take the tough love.

My site is at risforrob.com. It was recently critiqued here, but I still has a ways to go on it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm getting close to finishing a General Fine Arts degree at a community college here, and want to get into animation(traditional, 2D preferably) at a real school, but I have no idea where to look. I'm located in Missouri, St. Louis area, and doubt there's anything really vaguely near me. But I'm cool with that.

I just really don't know where to begin with looking at where to go next, and all I tend to run into searching online is a bunch of places advertising the same thing over and over.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 14, 2010

Sumpthingspecial
Apr 16, 2010

by Tiny Fistpump
Nothing to see here, folks!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 16, 2010

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
Hey guys look at all this web traffic I can get through negative publicity.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Replace the Comic Sans with Akzidenz Grotesk and you're on the way to fame and fortune.

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:
Has anyone had an especially positive \ negative experience with guru.com (or any experience at all), specifically for the writing section? I've been getting more into paid freelance writing in the last few months and I'm trying to gauge if the site is really worth the $175 / year (plus 5% commission) they're asking.

(Sorry if this has been addressed, didn't see it mentioned in the last 5 pages)

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
I live in North Carolina and will be graduating high school next year. I plan on pursuing a degree in Graphic Design and my first choice school is NCSU's design school. I currently have a 4.0 weighted GPA (no idea how this stacks up compared to others) and a portfolio that I feel shows my strengths in GD. Does anyone have any experience with admission at NCSU's design school or any pointers as to where else I could apply in state? I am extremely nervous about whether or not I have what it takes to get in and if I didn't get in I honestly have no clue where I would go from there to pursue a respectable degree in GD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
I realize I am in an incredibly small minority, but I want to get into Costuming/Wardrobe. I'm moving back to LA in June after a 3 year hiatus. I went to school for Apparel Design and I've worked on a couple films as an intern/PA but the contacts I made are dead ends when it comes to costuming. Anyone know any people I can talk to? Get coffee for? Repair the holes in their socks? General advice welcome, too.