Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I've still yet to see one, therefore, they do not exist :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The very first one in the states was taken out to a trackday by someone who was working for BMW as a display, there was a lot of people checking it out, second session, he loving wads the poo poo out of it.

You can't fix stupid. And when it comes to motorcycles, there is a lot of stupid to go around.

I think he got fired, too. Dumbass.

Edit: I tried to find the original thread, but it's since been deleted and the pictures taken away, the thing got pretty torn up.

Here's one that confirms it and the rider though:
http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12212

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 1, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

AncientTV posted:

I've still yet to see one, therefore, they do not exist :ssh:
We had a guy with one come in and special order a Dainese Tattoo Jacket. Nicest jacket I've ever seen, the leather is so plush. The bike was nice too.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
We had an older guy come into the shop today wearing a Tourmaster jacket, so of course I had to ask my buddy to take over my battery changes so I could dash outside and have a chat. He was riding a Honda ST1100, and he rode it to alaska and back last year (I think). I was expecting a BMW. Then he tells me he has a BMW too. Gah, I wish we'd had more time to chat but he had to get going and I had to, well, get back to work. It was pretty exciting though, we mostly have fat middle aged Harley guys and young sport bike kids around here.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I'm going to get my Tengai out of a friends garage later, I hope it runs properly after the 5 month layoff. If not: anyone riding a KLR got any general tips?

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Reason #427 that riding a motorcycle is better than a car:

If you notice the guy in front of you has left his gas tank open, you can just close it for him.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Oakey posted:

Reason #427 that riding a motorcycle is better than a car:

If you notice the guy in front of you has left his gas tank open, you can just close it for him.

Done this. Why does helping people while wearing all the gear make me feel like a bit of a super hero?

"No ma'am, no need to thank me. All in a days work." Flies Rides off into fake sunset

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

niethan posted:

I'm going to get my Tengai out of a friends garage later, I hope it runs properly after the 5 month layoff. If not: anyone riding a KLR got any general tips?

For what? Riding a ridiculously tall bike? Well, tip #1 is be really tall yourself. Other than that, uh, riding something like a KLR is pretty easy. I guess you'll have to learn how to lean it over at lights onto one foot if you can't flatfoot it, but that's about the only tricky thing.

Oh that, and you can't really lane split if you have hard luggage on.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

redscare posted:

For what? Riding a ridiculously tall bike?

I think he means tips on how to get it running after having let it sit for 5 months.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

redscare posted:

For what? Riding a ridiculously tall bike? Well, tip #1 is be really tall yourself. Other than that, uh, riding something like a KLR is pretty easy. I guess you'll have to learn how to lean it over at lights onto one foot if you can't flatfoot it, but that's about the only tricky thing.

No, I've ridden it last season already. It was more of a question about waking it up out of hybernation. I think my battery is hosed. The starter turned around once or twice, then nothing at all happened. Lights and signals still working though. Then we hooked it up to a car battery which at first did nothing at all and then I have no idea why somehow gave it enough power to start. I rode it back to my place fifteen miles or so, also giving it good rpms, but now after I parked it here at my place it won't start anymore, turned around once or twice, then nothing. That means the battery didn't charge up during the trip, right? Should I have ridden longer? Or hook the battery up to a charger? Or get a new one? Fluid levels are fine, so I have no idea what could be wrong.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

niethan posted:

No, I've ridden it last season already. It was more of a question about waking it up out of hybernation. I think my battery is hosed. The starter turned around once or twice, then nothing at all happened. Lights and signals still working though. Then we hooked it up to a car battery which at first did nothing at all and then I have no idea why somehow gave it enough power to start. I rode it back to my place fifteen miles or so, also giving it good rpms, but now after I parked it here at my place it won't start anymore, turned around once or twice, then nothing. That means the battery didn't charge up during the trip, right? Should I have ridden longer? Or hook the battery up to a charger? Or get a new one? Fluid levels are fine, so I have no idea what could be wrong.

Actually you have a lot of ideas of what could be wrong - you need to narrow it down.

1. I'd charge the battery overnight. 15 miles isn't long enough for your bike to charge the battery back up to full. RPMs are (relatively) unimportant next to charging time.
2. If you still have trouble then bring the battery to a BatteriesPlus or something and have them test it.
3. (actually 1.1) get a multimeter. Assuming the battery checks out, check the voltage of the battery with it off. Then start the bike and check the voltage again. The voltage should be higher. If it's not, then it's not charging. Then you have to diagnose that.

But really, always charge your battery overnight (on a trickle charger) or as long as it takes to get full (for a car battery charger), after it runs down. It takes 15-20 minutes just to get the battery back where it was before starting. If it's low, it would take considerably longer to get back to full.

EDIT: miles =/= minutes

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 1, 2010

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Doctor Zero posted:

It takes 15-20 miles just to get the battery back where it was before starting. If it's low, it would take considerably longer to get back to full.

Didn't know that, I'm hoping this is where my problem was :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

You can if you're not some kind of lamer. :smugbert:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

niethan posted:

Didn't know that, I'm hoping this is where my problem was :)

Er I see I typed "miles" but I meant "minutes". Still, same idea. It takes a while for the battery to get charged back up from the huge draw from starting. That's why if you make a lot of short trips in a car or bike it quickly drains your battery down - it never gets a chance to recover fully.

I bet a good charge will take care of it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

redscare posted:

For what? Riding a ridiculously tall bike? Well, tip #1 is be really tall yourself.

Rubbish. If you can get a toe down you're fine.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

You can if you're not some kind of lamer. :smugbert:

Everyone else read this as "don't care about scratching the gently caress out of lots of cars during your commute" right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Everyone else read this as "don't care about scratching the gently caress out of lots of cars during your commute" right?

Hey I've only hit one mirror while riding dimplebutt with her expansive hardbags.

It was the barend mirror on my g/f's Z1000 when she boxed me in in a gas station :downs:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Good thing about the tall bikes is that the handlebars are taller than car mirrors, at least here in europe where SUVs are less common. Although dual sports are the SUVs of bikes, which makes me feel like a cock

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it helps assuage the guilt any, most DS bikes tend to be underpowered compared to more regular bikes

That huge fuckin' Ducati notwithstanding

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

How are Dualsports the SUV's of motorcycling? Big, carry lots of poo poo, attempt to be good at off roading but really suck?

...I guess I can kind of see it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Spiffness posted:

How are Dualsports the SUV's of motorcycling? Big, carry lots of poo poo, attempt to be good at off roading but really suck?

...I guess I can kind of see it.

0.o ... maybe if goldwings were dualsports...

I feel like dual sports aren't always driven by assholes and women who are permanently out to lunch, though.

dual sports are a nerd bike, because it looks so good on paper, but doesn't have the crazy factor of a sport bike, cruiser, or cafe racer.

and I don't think gold wings are always driven by assholes--quite the opposite. It just seems more of a beast designed for comfort than dual sports tend to be.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I approve of old couples on Goldwings with 50k miles on them.

In almost all other cases though I can't help but shake my head.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

A lot of old people that can't keep up a lard sled anymore buying trike Wings & Glides.

Ouch! "Lard sled"? Now I feel fat :(

The guy I bought my Road Star from is having balance problems, and is getting a trike.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

O'riginal posted:

Ouch! "Lard sled"? Now I feel fat :(

The guy I bought my Road Star from is having balance problems, and is getting a trike.

I understand this. And if there's ever a day I no longer have the coordination to ride a motorcycle, I'm buying something small, topless, four wheeled, and British.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Nerobro posted:

I understand this. And if there's ever a day I no longer have the coordination to ride a motorcycle, I'm buying something small, topless, four wheeled, and British.

Except for having wheels, that sounds perfect. :quagmire:

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Doctor Zero posted:

Except for having wheels, that sounds perfect. :quagmire:

Haven't spent much time in England eh? :barf:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Oakey posted:

Just about to say that.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

0.o ... maybe if goldwings were dualsports...

I feel like dual sports aren't always driven by assholes and women who are permanently out to lunch, though.

dual sports are a nerd bike, because it looks so good on paper, but doesn't have the crazy factor of a sport bike, cruiser, or cafe racer.

and I don't think gold wings are always driven by assholes--quite the opposite. It just seems more of a beast designed for comfort than dual sports tend to be.

SUVs would be Harleys..ugly, oversized, and pointless, driven by people with self-esteem problems and image issues.

Dualsports are more like tractors.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Apparently I have to push the clutch in for my bike to try to start, even when in neutral. This was never the case before, so I suspect some relays acting like bitches because the battery is so low.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My dad had terrible balance and equilibrium problems. Couldn't walk a straight line to save his life.

Put 40k on two wheels in two years. Trikes shmikes!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Sloppy posted:

SUVs would be Harleys..ugly, oversized, and pointless, driven by people with self-esteem problems and image issues.

Dualsports are more like tractors.

I was thinking about that, but I want to say a harley is more like a pickup truck. If you do *anything* to it, aside from leave it stock, it's insta-douche.

But if bought it to carry you and someone else and some gear in comfort on the highway on a regular basis, then that's ok.

Whereas an SUV is never ok for any reason. Ever.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Whereas an SUV is never ok for any reason. Ever.

The only reason I won't argue with you is because my Grand Cherokee is technically a :airquote: station wagon :airquote:

:haw:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

niethan posted:

Apparently I have to push the clutch in for my bike to try to start, even when in neutral. This was never the case before, so I suspect some relays acting like bitches because the battery is so low.

Most likely the oppisite is true. Most bikes have a switch on the clutch lever that prevents the bike from operating the starter motor with the clutch engaged.

More than likely, you're either forgetting the motion, or the switch was stuck closed.

I disable that switch on all my bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

My dad had terrible balance and equilibrium problems. Couldn't walk a straight line to save his life.

Put 40k on two wheels in two years. Trikes shmikes!

The guy who taught me how to ride was a prison guard, got piledrivered into the ground in a riot, and it destroyed his inner ear. He can't close his eyes and stay standing, but he still rides like a bat out of hell. :v:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nerobro posted:

Most likely the oppisite is true. Most bikes have a switch on the clutch lever that prevents the bike from operating the starter motor with the clutch engaged.
More than likely, you're either forgetting the motion, or the switch was stuck closed.

I disable that switch on all my bikes.
Also when they're in neutral?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Doctor Zero posted:

The only reason I won't argue with you is because my Grand Cherokee is technically a :airquote: station wagon :airquote:

:haw:

no yeah. totally

In germany they call a mohawk an 'iroquois'. Weird, right?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

niethan posted:

Yes. The only neutral related cutouts I know of relate to being in gear and the engine running.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

niethan posted:

Dunno what weird bikes you're riding but most modern bikes won't start in neutral or any gear without the clutch pulled in. In the UK they'll cut out of you put the engine in gear with the side stand down too.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
So I was tootin along today on a 2 lane, sidestreet-less road today sans traffic. Spectacular, right?
No, I ran out of gas and had to pull to the side, both of which are decently sloped and covered in straw. "Oh great, here we go *TIP*"

Commence 10 minutes of trying to pick my bike up on that poo poo, and proceeding to slide further down the hill. How I hate loose ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Oakey posted:

My experience with England has a lot to do with Dr. Who, and some stuff about "Page 3".

Doesn't look so bad from here, really.

ranathari posted:

Dunno what weird bikes you're riding but most modern bikes won't start in neutral or any gear without the clutch pulled in. In the UK they'll cut out of you put the engine in gear with the side stand down too.
Depending on your definition of 'modern'. Jendywo's '83 XS400 Maxim won't start in any gear, any clutch position if the sidestand's down. Haven't tried starting it without the clutch pulled in - I'm guessing it wouldn't start then, either.

AncientTV posted:

No, I ran out of gas...
I thought the electrical system was shot on the Maxim again. (Not that it was shot again, but that I *thought* it was shot - last time, I was trying to pull away from the curb in 3rd or 4th gear, and thought I had lovely spark)
However, again, it's just fine.
I discovered on my ride to Trivia Tuesday night that, much to my chagrin, the bike definitely runs better when the petcock is in any of the 'on' positions.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 2, 2010