Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

quote:

I'm just going to guess the two absolute worst things, which would be all the horrible music quotes littered through the books and the huge chunks of terrible fiction.

I remember reading a WoD book where all of the chapters started with Oingo Boingo lyrics. It's like a seventh grader's notebook from 1985.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General E
Aug 25, 2003

General E posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable Vampire one --- all that early 90s goth-y art will be good fodder for Steve and Zack.

Holy poo poo! I got my wish! It's Christmas in March!!!!!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This owned. The hobo boxcar antique leashtwink (listen for the techno music) captures everything that is hilarious about old Vampire in one fell swoop.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
My friend wanted me to play that. I always refused because even back then, before Twilight, I knew Vampires were dumb as hell.

I preferred Werewolf.
:goonsay:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hahaha, page six was the best. The quick back-and-forth jokes always do it for me.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

This is the first book you guys have done that I've actually paged through. I play about 25 minutes of this game!

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.
Just wanted to mention that you guys doing these features is the thing I most look forward to seeing on the whole site. Brilliant stuff, I hope you can stretch the material (and your tolerance for it) out for years to come. Thanks for the entertainment!

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Ema Nymton posted:

My friend wanted me to play that. I always refused because even back then, before Twilight, I knew Vampires were dumb as hell.

I preferred Werewolf.
:goonsay:

Sigh :( I wish nWoD Werewolves weren't so stupid

Also, you could do an entire update on bad artwork from the Vampire: The Eternal Struggle CCG (which actually owns but the early artwork is horrid). Our play group informally refers to this card as "Shoot a hooker in church"

Karl Rove fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 19, 2010

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

quote:

Zack: If the general public heard there were real vampires at a night club that place would be packed tighter than a Kardashian at a VIP Super Bowl party with pasty sdancing white girls in search of their Edward to fly them to a treetop and gently caress the crocs right off their cankles.

Steve: You want to think about it for a minute and then see if you can come up with a tenth reference for that sentence?

Zack: No, I'm good.

This is the best thing I've read all year.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

quote:

Zack: "You ever...uh...imagined...Goofy on weed? Hyuk...Gawrsh...I'm stoned..." *tears out woman's throat*

Bahahahahaha best in-joke ever

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I never heard of Synnibar, but it was a lot of fun to read about. I hope Raven McCracken isn't too upset about his Geocities page dying. (Link to article)

quote:

Steve: No way dude that is too nice. He looks like this guy Seth who used to date my mom when she was split up with my dad and he had one of those car-truck hybrids and he would come visit us still wearing his Bob Evans managers shirt and name tag and one time he brought over a lot of eggs. Like cooked scrambled eggs. We fed them to some ducks that lived in a pond out back of my mom's apartment, which was a whole other messed up story I don't even want to get into right now.
Roaming Dad???

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Raven c.s. McCraken bids you to go see the latest WTF, DnD? to see the best that the World of Synnibarr has to offer.

Well? Get to it!

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 1, 2010

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
No matter how many times I read it, "Synnibar" always sounds to me like a new type of pastry for sale at a Cinnibon.

And that author's picture, sweet jesus that author's picture. It pretty much sums up role playing games in the late 80's/early 90's.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Jesus that one was hilarious.

It sorta feels like you could do a Synnibar part 2.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I feel like you could just mock a page a day and get 477 updates outta this bitch.

Edit: Ahahaha, the raccoon is checking his watch! I didn't notice that before.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 2, 2010

Bipedal Octopus
Feb 11, 2008
Those who do not know how to gleek will never know what it means to be alive
I'm also a tree demon.

Hilarious update, I really hope Raven McCraken responds. Seems like a rad dude.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Cannot get enough of coonman.jpg

stupendous

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
My favorite one in recent memory (ie, laughed more than usual). Good work.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I love how one of the classes was "Wereman"

what the hell does that even mean?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Ah, the great war between the cave demons and the tree demons. Such ideological differences rocked the worldship to its very organic electronic core. It was a day where even the coonman wept alongside his cyborg mutant archer brother.

what the gently caress is this poo poo

General E
Aug 25, 2003

coonman.jpg is my co-pilot.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Cannot get enough of coonman.jpg

stupendous

"Man. When is that Tenjohussan Werechameleon I'm supposed to blow up going to show up?"

Bipedal Octopus
Feb 11, 2008
Those who do not know how to gleek will never know what it means to be alive
According to the Wikipedia entry, Synnibar also features giant mutant fire clams and flying grizzly bears that shoot lasers out of their eyes. Those are almost as badass as the puking gravity lizard.

Also the worldship is actually Mars!!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Anyone notice on the map "Arctic" at the top and "Antartic" at the bottom?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I thought the MySpace was a joke/fabrication, but lol.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I own this. It was at HPB, I have a weakness for ultra-80s/90s kitchen sink "everyone is a ninja cyborg wizard" settings, and I just had to see what this was like. Character creation takes hours, and not even because you're making decisions, but because you're being sent back and forth from one table to another and trying to figure out what the Hell the rules are even referring to.

It makes Rifts look coherent and rules-light.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

Anyone notice on the map "Arctic" at the top and "Antartic" at the bottom?
It gets worse. Notice the location of Terra Isles on the map, clearly, according to the compass, south of the equator.

The text on the OPPOSITE SIDE OF THAT PAGE says that the Terra Isles are in the NORTHERN hemisphere. :pseudo:

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
Yeah, I also noticed that he borrowed the name of http://www.emeralddowns.com/ for some weird reference in there. I thought it might be a coincidence at first, but then I noticed he was from Seattle, and it was established 1996, so that was probably a direct reference.

That loving Goofy joke from the Vampire: The Masquerade article is also one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
If you enjoyed that, I highly reccommend this scathing review

quote:

Without any introduction, we're told that a mage named Aridius was born, became a God, came to earth, imbued an avatar with the power to heal and give advice, who drew on the powers of his worshippers. We're not told if this is meant to be Jesus, Buddha or Mohammed, L. Ron Hubbard or McCracken himself, but we've already slipped neatly away from anything even vaguely resembling reality, so I'll not harp on the point. Anyways, at the same time this is happening, we're suddenly informed of the following:

"A few years passed by and the avatar's worshippers grew in number. Also at this time, Aridius himself was summoned by the Father of All and learned that the Gods had entered into war! The powers of Darkness had won the aid of the God of Time. This unholy alliance threatened to destroy the universe from the dread dimension of Shadarkeem. However, the Gods of Light were not to be undone. In a desperate attempt to survive the onslaught, they pooled their powers, trapping the God of Time, themselves, and their enemies in a temporal suspension that spanned the entire dimension of Shadarkeem."

Now keep in mind: We've never heard of any of this before. We have not heard of the Powers of Darkness, the God of Time, the Father of All, Shadarkeem - although it's explained in a paragraph-long footnote - the Gods of Evil or any of this in the first three paragraphs that we've read of this game. Since they never appear again, and don't affect anything, we're left with what basically amount to one of McCracken's brainfarts put on paper.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

The latest edition (April 15) is pretty drat funny, I will admit. But what's this "next contest" tease? drat you Zack, we want to draw stupid monsters and bicker amongst ourselves some more!

But seriously, very nice. In case you ever wondered, yes, these updates are funny to people with no D&D experience whatsoever. That's pretty surprising to me at least.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
You really painted a picture with those Gravs. Loved it.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

The latest edition (April 15) is pretty drat funny, I will admit. But what's this "next contest" tease? drat you Zack, we want to draw stupid monsters and bicker amongst ourselves some more!

But seriously, very nice. In case you ever wondered, yes, these updates are funny to people with no D&D experience whatsoever. That's pretty surprising to me at least.

We're hammering out the details on the new one, but it will be something similar to the Rifts contest.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As far as requests for monsters go, I'd like to request the dinosaur headed wizard from the last page in the update.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
The Grav looks like George Costanza.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
We are the pig monsters.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
"Our attempts to teach him to skateboard and rap were completely futile." - Steve "Malak" Sumner, 2009

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

As far as requests for monsters go, I'd like to request the dinosaur headed wizard from the last page in the update.

I slightly hope it's called a Triceromancer.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The latest WTF, D&D? got a retweet from the official D&D account.

I guess that means watch the hit counter and see if the article gets a traffic increase.

E:

davidspackage posted:

I slightly hope it's called a Triceromancer.

That would be a "Hornhead Saurial," but call it whatever you want in your campaign.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

They picked by far the filthiest installment of WTF, D&D to promote on the official D&D twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Should I be mad at the Monstrous Compendium for ripping off Bio-Boosted Armor Guyver or just ashamed of myself for catching it?

• Locked thread