Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Barry the Sprout posted:

I'm looking for comments and criticism on my April oathed Wolf Lord. He's going on my diorama, so he's my first ever attempt at kitbashing, the backpack is missing at the moment as it's still in the post. It was pretty fun to do, I will probably try doing more in the future.

That head is like Ron Perlman with a quiff and excessive facial hair. Awesome.

The wolf tail on the storm bolter looks a bit big for the weapon. I'd lose the thing, there's enough WOLFWOLFWOLFWOLF on it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Flip the tassle on the Stormbolter, the sheathed blade looks like he'd get tangled in it, and I don't know if you can fix his sword hand but the wrist is gimpy.

And I don't think he particularly NEEDS the backpack. Looks pretty cool without.

I hope you paint the hair red and on his temples white. He looks like the stereotypical Scottish policeman from 100 years ago.

Did not notice the sword hand until I took the photo. Not sure I can fix it easily without hacking it to pieces.

Have removed the tassel, it looks better I think. Those things are too big.

I will see how the backpack looks when it arrives, I don't like painting them so would be happier to lose it.

The awesome head is from the Wolf Guard set. Those bits are so much better than the two piece Eldar guardians I had over ten years ago.

Any tips for first time greenstuffing?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Barry the Sprout posted:

Any tips for first time greenstuffing?
Keep your tools properly lubricated, or you will lose your loving mind.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

stabbington posted:

With what, exactly? Im considering doing more sculpting and modelling, and I run into this problem a lot. I generally just stick the tool in my mouth (lol) every 30 seconds or so

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Vaseline does the trick. Just make sure you wash it off the greenstuff before you paint.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

With what, exactly? Im considering doing more sculpting and modelling, and I run into this problem a lot. I generally just stick the tool in my mouth (lol) every 30 seconds or so

There's a few options:
-Don't use GS.
-Use clay shapers, they require no to little lubrication. Water will do.
-Use baby oil .

The biggest issue with using oil based lube while sculpting is that it's a bitch to get off and it makes poo poo shiny, which can be distracting.

I'd recommend you pony up $20 for a set of clay shapers. They own. You will still probably want a hard tool as well.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

!amicable posted:

There's a few options:
-Don't use GS.
-Use clay shapers, they require no to little lubrication. Water will do.
-Use baby oil .

The biggest issue with using oil based lube while sculpting is that it's a bitch to get off and it makes poo poo shiny, which can be distracting.

I'd recommend you pony up $20 for a set of clay shapers. They own. You will still probably want a hard tool as well.

There are silicone sculpting tools as well (not sure if this is what you were referring to).

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I just have a cup of water for my tools. Just keep anything that's going to touch the greenstuff wet and they shouldn't stick to the greenstuff and you'll do fine.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

There are silicone sculpting tools as well (not sure if this is what you were referring to).

Yeah. Clay Shapers:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/royal-sovereign-clay-shaper-sets/?wmcp=google&wmcid=products&wmckw=30303-1009-1948

I don't know that the material is silicone, but it's rubbery. I also don't think my set is Royal Sovereign, but that's beside the point.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Do yourself a favour, and pick up some Citadel Ink washes as well. With the colors you've got, I'd recommend;

- Badab Black
- Devlan Mud
- Thrakka Green
- Asurmen Blue

What's a wash? And why is it recommended?

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Swags posted:

Essentially, it's liquid shading, premixed and coloured for your convenience.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Swags posted:

here's a quick marketing blurb, along with recommended usage.

Page 4 shows how washes look on the model.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat1030005&aId=6800011

Really helpful stuff to have.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Swags posted:

Pretty much what Khadul said, but to expand on it;

A wash is a thin ink solution that runs into the crevices and low points on a model, while slightly tinting (but ideally not pooling on) the raised parts.

What this means is; if you apply an ink wash of a darker shade to a color, it instantly creates a bit of shading, since it gathers in the places most likely to be in shadow. You can also use it as a glaze to soften/blend highlighting, since it tints the raised areas with the same color.

So say you're painting a skeleton - a quick way to do it would be to paint the whole thing Bleached Bone, then apply a Devlan Mud wash. The eye sockets, between the ribs, teeth, joints etc would all end up a brown-ish color, adding instant definition.

EDIT: Beaten. And I was looking for that page too!

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
I need some advice.

I've had some Ork Goff rockers for a long time now, but been wanting something decent to put on their bases other than sand/flock/grass. It seems impossible to find anything like industrial grip metal textured plasticard here (England), so I'm wondering what you guys might suggest as a good "stage" like basing material.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

stabbington posted:

I keep a little cup of water and a little tube of ky jelly for greenstuffing.
It sounds weird, but KY is water based so it doesn't really hurt anything, and once it's on your sculpting tools you don't have to worry about greenstuff sticking to it as it dries.
I use it for doing tool-free tire changes on my road bike too, you get some funny faces when you're on a group ride and pull out a tube of ky when it's time to change a flat.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Should I be thinning Foundation paints? I've been doing roughly 1:1 water mix with hormagaunt purple on white primer and this is my first time painting "properly" so I'm not sure what it should look like at first. It takes 2-3 watery coats to get a light purple color.

Also, liche purple/shining gold emperor's children csm. I used a chaos black/future floor wax wash but the result is too dark for me. What color is generally used to brighten models for washes?

Sorry for lack my pictures don't got a camera with me at the moment.

quote:

I need some advice.

I've had some Ork Goff rockers for a long time now, but been wanting something decent to put on their bases other than sand/flock/grass. It seems impossible to find anything like industrial grip metal textured plasticard here (England), so I'm wondering what you guys might suggest as a good "stage" like basing material.

Try finding some wireform mesh used in clay sculpting. Not sure how they're priced in the UK but I picked a pack for cheap at a dollar store

yum fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 3, 2010

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

yum posted:

Should I be thinning Foundation paints? I've been doing roughly 1:1 water mix with hormagaunt purple on white primer and this is my first time painting "properly" so I'm not sure what it should look like at first. It takes 2-3 watery coats to get a light purple color.

Also, liche purple/shining gold emperor's children csm. I used a chaos black/future floor wax wash but the result is too dark for me. What color is generally used to brighten models for washes?

Sorry for lack my pictures don't got a camera with me at the moment.

Try finding some wireform mesh used in clay sculpting. Not sure how they're priced in the UK but I picked a pack for cheap at a dollar store

Thats about what you want, maybe a liiiitle more paint in the water, but thats it :)

Add a little purple to the wash, that should lighten it more without changing the color tone.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Do any of you modelling types have any ideas on a good material to use for making a Webway Portal? I like the look of the thin bone towers in the Eldar codex and I'm wondering what they might have used to make those. A Webway Portal would be thicker than they are but any ideas about materials would be awesome. Basically I want a similar design to the Dawn of War one, so it tapers in towards the middle, making plasticard construction a big project.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You could try using that dense pink insulation foam? People use it for shaping all kinds of terrain, if you have a hot knife or whatever you call those things it would probably help. Its generally dense enough to hold up and you could hit it with white glue to strengthen it.

Teadrinker
Oct 21, 2008

FractionMan posted:

I need some advice.

Here you go mate

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-catshow/25mmround.html
for industrial bases (30pence each aint bad!)

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-prodshow/singletreadplate.html
for industrial diamond plate sheets

Teadrinker fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 3, 2010

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Morning posted:

Thats about what you want, maybe a liiiitle more paint in the water, but thats it :)

Add a little purple to the wash, that should lighten it more without changing the color tone.

Cool, thanks!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Water. Plain ol' water.
Three reasons.

1) Water is everywhere.
2) It cleans itself by evaporating, leaving no residue.
3) It is non-reactive, being water and all.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That just doesnt seem to do the trick, the GS is instantly tacky.

I wonder if some sort of really thin tool-grade oil might work, I know almost nothing about that kind of stuff though

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PaintVagrant posted:

I wonder if some sort of really thin tool-grade oil might work, I know almost nothing about that kind of stuff though

Vaseline if you're fastidious about cleaning it off, ky if you just want to rinse it off.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
set up the lightbox, set up the lights, turn on the room light, set up the tripod, place high elves in light box, manual focus camera, press button

dead battery

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PaintVagrant posted:

Use a 60/40 blue:yellow mix instead of 50/50, the yellow is what gives it the tackiness.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So I painted some Blood Angels High Elves

I really like this scheme and my lovely photography doesn't do it justice.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
those are really cool.

i like the eye motif on some of the helmets.

will you be leaving the designs on the breast plates white? I kind of like the one that is all washed gold better.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Teadrinker posted:

Here you go mate

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-catshow/25mmround.html
for industrial bases (30pence each aint bad!)

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-prodshow/singletreadplate.html
for industrial diamond plate sheets

Those links are perfect, thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

heh you gullible fools all they did was save a normally painted model's picture as a jpeg in MSPaint. :rolleyes:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm telling you, liquid ky. They sell it at the pharmacy for like $4 for the tiny tube, it sounds weird but it works incredibly well, and since it's water based excess residue can be wiped off with a paper towel once the gs has set.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

crime fighting hog posted:

Woah, Totally not what I expected when you first mentioned your scheme but :hellyeah: those are some awesome looking elves. What did colours did you use on the mail as I uh would like to know for uh research :ninja:

Teadrinker
Oct 21, 2008

FractionMan posted:

Those links are perfect, thanks!

Thinking about it, although it might be too late now. I have a few spare diamond plate bases... how many do you need?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Another vote for vaseline here. I just dip my tools in the jar and then wipe off 95% of it using a tissue leaving only a verryy thin coat. After the GS has dried I use one of those cotton swab sticks on the GS to wipe off the vaseline. Shiny -> dull in the light and continue working from there. Seems to do the work for me

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ill try the ky, vasseline, sexual experimentation

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The gold's looking good on those thing, and the red compliments it really well. Great job.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PaintVagrant posted:

Give it 10-15 minutes before you start working. It'll lose the insanely tacky edge. This does cut into your workable time with it though.

Doing that makes colours shapers + water work fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUXXCwlm-s

They look good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PaintVagrant posted:

Ill try the ky, vasseline, sexual experimentation

I wonder how well silicone based lube would work.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Teadrinker posted:

Thinking about it, although it might be too late now. I have a few spare diamond plate bases... how many do you need?

I've already ordered £15 of bases and other bits from there and so have more than I need now, many thanks for the offer however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

GS is awful. Are you dead set on using it? There are a lot of other polymer clays that are less like chewing gum.

• Locked thread