Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Becktastic posted:

Well, any sort of down on the street counts as a 'crash' if I was so liberal with what I considered a crash in the dirt, I'd be posting here almost every weekend.
Crash being defined at permanent injury or the thing where you end up hugging the tree and sliding down, I'm experiencing the former.

MrKatharsis posted:

RICE RICE baby. If you still can't walk tomorrow, get an X-ray.
If the x-ray comes back inconclusive get a MRI done right away, my x-ray came back fine but months later when I had my MRI because I still couldn't walk they said it looks like I fractured the end of the bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Whiteboy posted:

Background on him: He's 21, this is his first bike, he's been riding less than two weeks. Previous experience? ATV's only. He literally cannot ride a dirt bike to save his life. Last time I took him riding with me he cried because he has no balance and kept falling.

Update: He's broken his foot in two places and is now in a cast. Such a loving idiot.

I'm painting my bike's rear seat cowl+gas tank right now :D

Has his attitude changed? I am seriously frightened for your brother's life right now.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Has his attitude changed? I am seriously frightened for your brother's life right now.

He still claims to be a better rider than me and still thinks his bike is twice the bike I have. I don't think he'll be trying to do wheelies anymore because he's such a grouchy bitch right now with his crutches+road rash on his rear end/thighs.
I live with him but I honestly avoid him because whenever we talk it's usually leading to an argument which leads to a fist fight.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Whiteboy posted:

He still claims to be a better rider than me and still thinks his bike is twice the bike I have. I don't think he'll be trying to do wheelies anymore because he's such a grouchy bitch right now with his crutches+road rash on his rear end/thighs.
I live with him but I honestly avoid him because whenever we talk it's usually leading to an argument which leads to a fist fight.

Buy him one of those cheap jackets/gloves on new enough for his birthday/whatever. Say you bought it for yourself but it doesn't fit/you don't like it and you don't want to pay the restocking fee or something.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Or just engage him in fisticuffs and beat him over the head until it knocks some sense into it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Whiteboy posted:

Well, on the bright side, whenever you guys feel the need to engage in brotherly fisticuffs now, all you have to do is deliver a gentle, openhanded slap to his roadrash. Maybe he'll learn his lesson the 5th or 10th time you smack him in the open wounds he wouldn't have if he wasn't a dumbass.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
He has a nice leather jacket that he wears (wore it in the crash, definitely saved his arms and chest) and he even has decent gloves with plated knuckles and such but he doesn't wear it.
Don't worry though, I'm almost positive when he is fully healed and fixes his bike he will definitely think twice about riding naked and trying to stunt.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Whiteboy posted:

He has a nice leather jacket that he wears (wore it in the crash, definitely saved his arms and chest) and he even has decent gloves with plated knuckles and such but he doesn't wear it.
Don't worry though, I'm almost positive when he is fully healed and fixes his bike he will definitely think twice about riding naked and trying to stunt.

Sounds like he should be thinking twice about riding at all..

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Sounds like he should be thinking twice about riding at all..

is this the right approach? Maybe this should be a 'smoke the whole pack' kind of approach.

Lash him to his bike, completely nude, break the clutch cable, and tell him he can't come home until he's arrested or dead.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So I wasn't really going to post this, as I'm pretty embarrassed about the whole deal, but I figure that someone else might learn from my (admittedly stupid) example. I crashed. Only had gloves (I don't really remember), I had some personal problems that day, and was pretty distracted. Great day for a ride, right? I think I was just going to take it around the block. I got the 250 started and was putting around the parking lot warming it up, I'm not sure what happened to be honest but I remember going down. Couldn't have been going more then 5-10mph in all honesty, didn't even break any skin, but I hit my head. Hard. I really can't remember anything from about a week before that, to two or three after that. My speech was slurred for several weeks, and my friends told me I kept walking into the walls. I broke my fifth finger, and am still in physical therapy and can't move it fully yet.

I've been off the bike for several months due to my hand, and can't wait to get back on. Didn't do too much damage to the bike either! Broken fairing and blinker so I should be back on two wheels soon, I can't wait! Seriously though, always wear your loving helmet, even when you're just putting around in a parking lot. poo poo happens, so just do it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Mister Silver Lining Says: "Hey, at least you didn't have to replace your helmet!"

Do you remember the crash itself - specifically, the cause?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jabs posted:

Mister Silver Lining Says: "Hey, at least you didn't have to replace your helmet!"

Do you remember the crash itself - specifically, the cause?

Not really. I remember a brief moment of falling, but that's about it. I think I'm going to buy a new helmet anyway though, there's nothing like that new helmet smell!

Edit: VV Not that I remember it but yes. This was a few months ago, so all is a-ok.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 25, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

blugu64 posted:

Not really. I remember a brief moment of falling, but that's about it. I think I'm going to buy a new helmet anyway though, there's nothing like that new helmet smell!

However, if you can smell that "new helmet smell" before you get one, you may want to get an MRI. :haw:

(Seriously, you went to a doctor, right? Closed head injuries are nothing to gently caress around with.)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Doctor Zero posted:

Closed head injuries are nothing to gently caress around with.
Like open ones are? ;)

(Check it out! I can smell chocolate when you poke your finger riiiiight...there!)

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

blugu64 posted:

So I wasn't really going to post this, as I'm pretty embarrassed about the whole deal, but I figure that someone else might learn from my (admittedly stupid) example. I crashed. Only had gloves (I don't really remember), I had some personal problems that day, and was pretty distracted. Great day for a ride, right? I think I was just going to take it around the block. I got the 250 started and was putting around the parking lot warming it up, I'm not sure what happened to be honest but I remember going down. Couldn't have been going more then 5-10mph in all honesty, didn't even break any skin, but I hit my head. Hard. I really can't remember anything from about a week before that, to two or three after that. My speech was slurred for several weeks, and my friends told me I kept walking into the walls. I broke my fifth finger, and am still in physical therapy and can't move it fully yet.

I've been off the bike for several months due to my hand, and can't wait to get back on. Didn't do too much damage to the bike either! Broken fairing and blinker so I should be back on two wheels soon, I can't wait! Seriously though, always wear your loving helmet, even when you're just putting around in a parking lot. poo poo happens, so just do it.

That is intense and I wish you well in your recovery. Just for the record, you were wearing a full helmet? Were there any witnesses to acquire the story from?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

blugu64 posted:

I crashed. Only had gloves...I hit my head. Hard.
...my friends told me I kept walking into the walls...
No, he wasn't. Nor a jacket, nor pants, nor boots, nor goggles, nor underwear, apparently.

Just gloves, rockin' it like a naked Michael Jackson in the Thriller video...with an extra glove.

Why, no, I don't know where that image leapt into my head from. Nor do I particularly want to, since you asked.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 25, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ohwandernearer posted:

That is intense and I wish you well in your recovery. Just for the record, you were wearing a full helmet? Were there any witnesses to acquire the story from?

By the sound of it, he wasn't wearing any kind of helmet.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Had my first crash today since getting my bike in August.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&lay...359.914427&z=14

Highway 9 After hitting up Alice's for lunch. Rode from there (35/84 junction) to around where 9 meets 236 and decided to head back. Up til then we were riding pretty fast and I dragged my pegs for the first time on an 03 SV650N. My brake lever was bent back and the corner shaved off I guess from scraping it on the ground so we decided to go back and call it a day. A few turns into the ride back, I think I target fixated on the side of the hill, panicked, went off, and superman'd over the bars and into the dirt. My friend was following me and said he saw me start to go around the corner, stand the bike up, wobble, and then go off. Anyone know what else could've happened? I''m still not sure.

There's more space between the road and side of the hill than what appears in the google maps picture, probably a good 10 feet or so and I wasn't even close to hitting anything hard or pointy. I only crashed into a bunch of dirt/gravel/grass and my gear help up just fine. The only thing that kills me is the beautiful frost black Arai Corsair V my parents got me for my birthday has scratches all along the front face/visor now. :( I think it should be safe to keep using as I dont think it took a hit at all.

My forks were hosed and my radiator mount broke I guess because the whole thing was hanging off a bit. The front wheel was at maybe at a 45º angle but my friend didn't feel like going back to get his truck and coming back for me because we were pretty far out so he traded bikes with me and somehow managed to get the SV with that wheel the 50 miles or so back without really being able to turn the wheel to the right. I got to ride his Triumph 675 Daytona which was JESUSFUCKAMAZING.

Now, should I just part it out now or GSXR front end it+new radiator? I don't think anything else is really damaged so it'd just be parts i'd be replacing anyway with a front end swap. I paid $2800 for the bike in August. Probably 600-700 for the swap?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Today I would like to be thankful for Bridgestone tires and their BT-45s and their ability to stop be from 65mph to a near stop when some jackass in an old green Mazda Protege signaled for about 1/2 a second and decided to jump into the carpool lane in front of me at about 5mph.

I was fishtailing the rear and ended up about 3 feet from it's rear bumper, I don't think i've had that much adrenaline pumping in my body ever.

I'd also like to thank the MSF for teaching me how to use both brakes and to not grab the front brake in an emergency stop but to squeeze it progressively. <3

I think i'm going to take this experience and learn from it and start going a little slower in the carpool lane if traffic in the other lanes are backed up. It's freaking me out how close that was.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

infraboy posted:

Today I would like to be thankful for Bridgestone tires and their BT-45s and their ability to stop be from 65mph to a near stop when some jackass in an old green Mazda Protege signaled for about 1/2 a second and decided to jump into the carpool lane in front of me at about 5mph.

I was fishtailing the rear and ended up about 3 feet from it's rear bumper, I don't think i've had that much adrenaline pumping in my body ever.

I'd also like to thank the MSF for teaching me how to use both brakes and to not grab the front brake in an emergency stop but to squeeze it progressively. <3

I think i'm going to take this experience and learn from it and start going a little slower in the carpool lane if traffic in the other lanes are backed up. It's freaking me out how close that was.

Those situations are the worst. That's why I ride on the far left of the lane and move into the breakdown lane if that happens. I also tailgate any 4 wheel vehicles in front of me.

Also, do you have HIDs?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was riding my GS500, no HIDs unfortunately, is there a way to add them on? And yeah the lane was pretty much all clear ahead for a good 1/4 mile or so until said car jumped in front of me rather suddenly and decided not to accelerate very quickly.

That riding in the left most portion of the lane is a good idea, there wasn't really a "breakdown" lane on the left to go into though, only about a 1-2 feet before the median.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

infraboy posted:

I was riding my GS500, no HIDs unfortunately, is there a way to add them on? And yeah the lane was pretty much all clear ahead for a good 1/4 mile or so until said car jumped in front of me rather suddenly and decided not to accelerate very quickly.

That riding in the left most portion of the lane is a good idea, there wasn't really a "breakdown" lane on the left to go into though, only about a 1-2 feet before the median.

1-2 feet is enough room for your bike, but your mirrors will be hit a bit. Better that than your legs.

As for the HIDs, they replace your current headlights and ad a bit of bulky electronics to the front of the bike. But they are extremely noticeable and bright if you're looking to be noticed from the front, and use less battery power. If you seriously are looking to buying them don't pay anymore than $50 for a set. I got mine for $35.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Had my first crash today since getting my bike in August.

May as well get the swap, you're gonna pay the same or more to fix it. If you really enjoyed the daytona you should consider getting that bike or a similar bike instead and selling this one.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Jack the Smack posted:

Those situations are the worst. That's why I ride on the far left of the lane and move into the breakdown lane if that happens. I also tailgate any 4 wheel vehicles in front of me.

Also, do you have HIDs?

Are you sure tailgating a car/truck is a good idea in that situation? If they hit someone who cuts them off by pulling in to the lane, they're going to stop pretty drat quick and without much warning.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

sectoidman posted:

Are you sure tailgating a car/truck is a good idea in that situation? If they hit someone who cuts them off by pulling in to the lane, they're going to stop pretty drat quick and without much warning.

Generally speaking, nothing JTS says is a good idea. Tailgating for safety, goes on that list. There are certainly situations where it makes sense to consider the bulk of cagers that surround you and use them as a buffer, but anytime your limiting you vision, escape route, and limiting your room to stop between you and the object in front of you... you are inviting trouble.

In the situation described, I'd leave more space between me and the car in front of you. If you get someone who's really aggressive and trying to leave their lane for your quick moving lane, they might just think 'there's room after this car' and come flying in... right to where you are, tucked up a foot behind a big vehicle. Do be in the outside of the lane where you can use the shoulder in a pinch; if its daytime and my lane is moving a lot faster than their lane, I'll temporarily turn on my brights. I'll also starting using the Z-line, as it's called. Or rapidly swaying from side to side in my little outside portion of the outside lane, this makes your headlight more attention grabbing. If there's a group of vehicles I think is high risk (someone I can see checking the mirrors or blinker on), I'll even do a real quick little shake of the bars (almost self-induced headshake... but obviously not as extreme).

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 3, 2010

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:

sectoidman posted:

Are you sure tailgating a car/truck is a good idea in that situation?

It's a good idea in his case because JtS is a worthless poster, but everyone else should ignore his feeble trolls and terrible advice. HIDS, loud pipes and day-glo vests are no substitute for defensive driving.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Jack the Smack posted:

I also tailgate any 4 wheel vehicles in front of me.

Also, do you have HIDs?

2/10. You're losing your touch.

Whenever this kind of thing happens to me, I inadvertently scream COMIN IN HOT whilst simultaneously trying not to poo poo my pants.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Figured I'd add to this. Old lady in a parking lot backed up what must have been a good 25ft and hit my PARKED bike, knocking it over on itself and my brand new scorpion helmet. Bent bars, cracked stator cover, bent footpeg, dented the exhaust can, broken mirror, and of course, 350lbs of bike falling on to my helmet.

She was kind enough to come in to Trader Joe's and inform me that she hit my bike. I just finished fixing her up too. Goddamnit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ari.gato posted:

Figured I'd add to this. Old lady in a parking lot backed up what must have been a good 25ft and hit my PARKED bike, knocking it over on itself and my brand new scorpion helmet. Bent bars, cracked stator cover, bent footpeg, dented the exhaust can, broken mirror, and of course, 350lbs of bike falling on to my helmet.

She was kind enough to come in to Trader Joe's and inform me that she hit my bike. I just finished fixing her up too. Goddamnit.

Already? Jesus christ man. After all that work too :(

And that's one of many reasons that my helmet always goes with me. At least you can buy that nice nolan now! :v:

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Already? Jesus christ man. After all that work too :(

And that's one of many reasons that my helmet always goes with me. At least you can buy that nice nolan now! :v:

Yeah tell me about it. Going thru insurance this time. Got all the lady's info and filed a claim last night. Outside of the cosmetic stuff, it feels like one of my valves or something in my clutch basket got knocked out of alignment. I keep hearing a rhythmic ticking from the engine. But at least this time I'll have someone else fix it on her dime.

Just can't seem to go more than 3 months or so without some fool messing with or outright hitting/dropping my bike. Lol.

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma
Dropped my V-Strom in a Kroger parking lot last night, only damage was the right front turn signal. The lot was pretty slick, tires are bald, and I was trying to make a low speed sharp right so I could stop and back into a spot.

Ah well, better to drop it at 5mph than 50mph.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Wandering Idiot posted:

tires are bald

cheaper to fix this than keep fixing drops

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Wandering Idiot posted:

Dropped my V-Strom in a Kroger parking lot last night, only damage was the right front turn signal.

Get the turn signals off a Buell. No more breaking on drops :)

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

ohwandernearer posted:

cheaper to fix this than keep fixing drops

Yeah, I know. Just got back to working full time, was laid off in December. Tires are priority next paycheck or two, as they supposedly were last autumn. Now they're at the wear bars, as opposed to then. I don't want lovely Trailwings again either, shooting for a decent price on Metzeler Tourances.

And yeah, I'm going to hit the Harley dealer tomorrow for the Buell signals. $30~ a pair and I've heard nothing but good.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Tourances are pretty square and rock-hard tires, AFAIK. They're what I've currently got on my Wee, and I'm swapping them for some Continental Road Attacks for my upcoming track days and general lunacy/daily commuting. Stickier, and rounder.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006
First off/crash. Lowsided in a blind uphill 90degree right hander. My own fault for entering too fast, but I caught my right footpeg, which is a solid footpeg, and broke my rear loose. Slid across the road and into a ditch/berm.

Damage to me: A bit of road rash on my right knee (was wearing jeans), upper body was fine thanks to the jacket I was wearing (Scorpion Burnout, for the 30 ft I slid there was one small hole that rubbed through near the wrist, and a bit of scuffing on part of the reflective piping near the right shoulder). Didn't hit my head so my helmet is scratch free.

Damage to bike: Handlebars bent pretty bad, and a missing mirror but the controls are fine. Scuffed timing cover, severely bent seat, smashed rear tail light and cowling above the rear fender/behind seat. Engine is fine, still runs well. Most of the damage to the bike came from hitting the berm on the other side of the road (felt pretty soft to me).

Lessons learned: Slow down EVEN MORE when entering a turn you can't see through or know very well. Make sure you have some sort of folding footpeg. Buy kneepads.

Time to fix it up and get back on the road.

fake edit: Had about 5 people of the 7 or so who passed that stopped to make sure I was ok. One of the cars that didn't stop was a Sheriff.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

TiberiusM posted:

Didn't hit my head so my helmet is scratch free.

Inspect the poo poo out of your helmet. You dont want to find out later that you already used up some of the foams compressive abilities in this crash. If it wasn't a crazy expensive model I would put it aside for passenger duty or something and get a new primary helmet.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Inspect the poo poo out of your helmet. You dont want to find out later that you already used up some of the foams compressive abilities in this crash. If it wasn't a crazy expensive model I would put it aside for passenger duty or something and get a new primary helmet.

Good advice on the first part, not so much on the second. If you won't wear it yourself, I'd definitely not put it on someone else.

Sorry to hear about the crash.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Scrapez posted:

Good advice on the first part, not so much on the second. If you won't wear it yourself, I'd definitely not put it on someone else.

Sorry to hear about the crash.

Maybe I am an evil bastard but if a helmet was dropped or something I am not going to toss it. It still provides better protection than nothing and carrying passengers is still a novelty for me. If I was doing a cross country trip with someone on the back of the bike I might think twice, but if a friend or family member just wants a ride around the block or something they get the old retired helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I hear ya. Agree to disagree. I'd rather crush my melon than be responsible for doing that to someone else.

On a crash related note (Not mine), Some 19 year old kid was flying through town on the raised interstate today. Lost control, hit the guardrail and got thrown over the side to the street below.

Jesus Christ that had to be terrifying. Not sure if he'll make it, he was air lifted to a local hospital.

Edit: Story if interested... http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/90570339.html

• Locked thread