Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

The Stygian posted:

A bit concerning that even a Prestige Ibanez has frets that aren't finished properly.

That's weird, my RGA121 had some of the most perfect frets I've ever seen.

Could have been a big humidity change if we're talking about the fret ends sticking out from the edge of the fingerboard, though, and there's not much a manufacturer can do about that. Even my Stambaugh had a little bit of shrink I had to file down after its first Wisconsin winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hadlock posted:

No offense meant, it's just the color scheme

Click here for the full 650x252 image.

Well it's just a blue Jag with a tort pickguard added. I'm more partial to sonic blue than whatever that deep blue is, but nonetheless it's a beautiful guitar.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Hadlock posted:

No offense meant, it's just the color scheme

Click here for the full 650x252 image.

That's a counterfeit jem you turd.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Superchunk posted:

Carb, I'm extremely jealous of you. I'd love to sell my guitars and get a nice vintage 'Stang or Jag, but my uncle is a musician and the one piece of advice he's given me that I take to heart is that you should never sell your instruments. I don't know why, but I really don't like the idea of selling my guitars. Maybe someday I'll change my mind, but I can't imagine parting with any of my lovely guitars.

For now, I can only :fap: at a distance at

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

That Jag turns me on so much!

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Slowly filling out my pedal complement after ditching the GT-6. Picked up a 1978 Boss GE-6 and the PH-2 Super Phaser off CL today.

Dude with the GE-6 thought it wasn't working so he let it go for almost nothing, turns out that the light just doesn't stay on, pedal works fine :)

I never knew how much of a difference an EQ pedal could make, I'm pretty sure this is love! The bridge pickup on my Fender Lead has always seemed a little cold, and a small bass boost makes it nice and round.

The PH-2 is pretty insane sounding, not nearly as organic as an MXR, there's really no way to make it sound mild, but it's pretty cool if you want an intense effect. It sounds like a jet flying overhead.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 2, 2010

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I love graphic EQs to death simply because you can get that low end growl by boosting at about 250hz without crowding the bass end and creating a lot of noise in a band situation. You can get a really full sound with pretty much zero muddiness.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
Bought this on a whim today, its a ton of fun to play. Too bad I didn't read the tuning sheet before tuning it like an idiot and breaking the bottom string

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
My dad called me from his trip to the states to tell me he bought me a USB turntable for converting records to MP3's. I've told him countless times that converting vinyls to MP3s is sacrilege, but what can ya do? "What the heck is lossless audio? MP3s are fine!" Looking at the box, he reads that it has RCA outs, so theoretically it doesn't matter because I could use it to rip in lossless format, correct me if I'm wrong.

This is what it is:

Black Series by Shift3 USB Turntable converter.

Can anyone who has this comment on the audio quality? I won't be using the USB-to-MP3 functionality since it has RCA outs (I'll use it to go RCA->1/4"->Motu), but all of the comments I've found relate to USB functionality woes and negatively skew the reviews based on the opinions of the tech-illiterate to whom this product is most likely advertised.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 3, 2010

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

As long as whatever software it uses lets you rip stuff at 24bit/96khz then I wouldn't be super worried about the quality. Aren't these sorts of converters mainly intended for old records that you wish to maintain or protect?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

SaucyPants posted:

Bought this on a whim today, its a ton of fun to play. Too bad I didn't read the tuning sheet before tuning it like an idiot and breaking the bottom string

How is it tuned? I'd love to have one with tenor banjo tuning. Also, how much did it run you?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

cat doter posted:

As long as whatever software it uses lets you rip stuff at 24bit/96khz then I wouldn't be super worried about the quality. Aren't these sorts of converters mainly intended for old records that you wish to maintain or protect?

To an extent, yeah. To make it easy for most people it only has MP3 output capability, which is great if you don't care about compressing your audio. I don't even think I'll install whatever conversion program it's got, I'll just go RCAs into MOTU Traveler into Audacity, maybe Logic if I need to do some simple mastering to make it sound better, then save as FLAC. He called me to make sure it was something I could use, and with the RCA outputs I think I'll give it a shot, my current record player sucks absolute balls. :(

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

AstroZamboni posted:

How is it tuned? I'd love to have one with tenor banjo tuning. Also, how much did it run you?

right now I have it in open G, it actually came with a tuning guide. I got for $265 and I may not even touch my 6 strings all summer if it keeps on being as much fun as it is.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Sugarbytes stuff is 25€/$35 off at the moment with coupon code EasterSugar2010 :)

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Haven't played guitar for 10 years or so, but I started feeling the itch again recently. So I went out and picked up this puppy:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Les Paul Studio Faded in Worn Brown. I fall in love a little more every time I look at it.

I originally went in pretty sure I wanted something like a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, as that was sort of my dream guitar when I was like 12. I tried a couple Jazzmasters, and I gotta say I was kind of disappointed. Don't know what it was, things just didn't click. I decided to see how the other half lives and try a Gibson out, and man, I'm glad I did. Maybe it's just the unpolished finish, but the neck felt worlds better. Now I just gotta try and remember what little I knew as a kid.

J. Scott
Jul 18, 2009

You think this is the real Quaid?!

Sailor_Spoon posted:

Haven't played guitar for 10 years or so, but I started feeling the itch again recently. So I went out and picked up this puppy:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Les Paul Studio Faded in Worn Brown. I fall in love a little more every time I look at it.

Change the black hardware to white.

Do it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

J. Scott posted:

Do it.
I'd be really curious to see how that looks on a brown one, because it looks loving awesome on a red one.

edit: Snapped a group photo the other day btw. Gonna try and get a recording of the new 6120 tomorrow!

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

I'd be really curious to see how that looks on a brown one, because it looks loving awesome on a red one.

edit: Snapped a group photo the other day btw. Gonna try and get a recording of the new 6120 tomorrow!

I thought you had GFS Pro-Tube lipstick humbuckers in that Map?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Carbohydrates posted:

How do you choose which one to play? :allears:

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

J. Scott posted:

Do it.

Hmm, I was unsure, but Carbohydrates' pictures convinced me. Where would you recommend getting said hardware?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Sailor_Spoon posted:

Hmm, I was unsure, but Carbohydrates' pictures convinced me. Where would you recommend getting said hardware?
Switch washer
Bridge pickup ring
Neck pickup ring
Reflector knobs
And I don't recall where I got the metal switch tip. WD has one, but it's metric threaded.

For the pickguard, I sent these guys my old one and had them trace it.

Optional: Swap the tuners for white or chrome-button ones. The rest of it can be done on the cheap, but tuners tend to cost ya more.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 4, 2010

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I have penis envy, of your guitars :aaaaa:

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

Sailor_Spoon posted:

You also might look at the cream/gold hardware used on the Goldtops, that might look really nice with brown.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Angry Justin posted:

I thought you had GFS Pro-Tube lipstick humbuckers in that Map?
I did, but I got my hands on an original Valco/Supro HB-sized single coil, so I stuck that in the neck. To match it in the bridge, I took a Melody Maker single coil and transplanted it into a humbucker base/cover. They're both single coils now!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

How do you choose which one to play? :allears:
I flip an 8-sided coin

I generally reach for the ones that are louder unplugged when I'm just sitting around, so the Gretsches, Eastwood, and LP Jr get played a lot. The LPs see moderate use, and the SG is a practice and stage-only guitar because, frankly, it sounds pretty crap unplugged or clean (but it's a monster overdriven).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Traded my mesa 2x12, an extra valve jr head I had, and some cash for this:

It's in great condition, like new. Too loud to play in my apartment, but at least I know I am prepared when I start gigging in the near future.

I think its the oversized (standard one) but its hard to tell. It measures 31-7/8" tall. The standard is supposed to be 32-7/8" and the traditional is supposed to be 30-1/4". I am probably just fucktarded and am measuring wrong. Either way, I am happy with it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

vanjalolz posted:

Dude I'll totally buy that off you for 900 :) The guitar sold out before I got mine. As far as I know the S series is made for Drop C. My S470 came tuned in Drop C from the beginning.

I changed the strings out to 11's and down-tuned it to drop-C and i am pretty happy with it. I may switch out the bridge pickup in the near future, but I am in no rush to. Optimus Prime will remain in my arsenal. I will PM you if I do change my mind though.

Sorry, hopefully you will find one for (relatively) cheap soon.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Even though I've been steadily reducing my pedal collection and intend to keep going with that until I've only got the stuff with either A) great, amazing, irreplaceable sounds or B) true sentimental value, I couldn't say no when Paul Cochrane called me to let me know that the new Timmy design is done and in production. I had reserved a Timmy back last year in the summer, but declined when my number came up because he was going to be revising some things to improve the build of the pedal. I already have a Tim that he made for me with the clipping toggles from the Timmy, so I'm not expecting a world of difference between my Tim and the new Timmy, but it will be nice to have the whole family and Paul is a really nice guy who deserves my money. I also want to explore how they stack... Knowing how they work, and knowing how well the Tim stacks with literally every other pedal I have ever owned while it was in my possession, I suspect that I'm in for a treat.

I'll post a pic or clips or both when it gets in.

Probably going to be my last pedal purchase for a long time, at least until I get drat near everything I don't absolutely love for reason A or B sold.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Not a new piece of gear, but a loving bad-rear end modification:

Signed by Immortal.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Liku posted:

Not a new piece of gear, but a loving bad-rear end modification:

Signed by Immortal.

Very nice, man. Where'd you see them to have that done?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Picked up a Korg MS2000 a few weeks ago, really not that bad of a machine when you get into it, the tech specs scare people away. Took a picture of it today because I finally had it made a lot more ergonomically friendly to use as a desktop module.

Used the measurements from a Korg MS-50 when sketching out the plans, so it might fit right in with the original MS/VC/SQ family.

e: Which brings me to.. with this and a Novation Nova in a similar getup, limited space, a filled rack, I have no room for studio monitors unless I drill and mount them on the wall. What are the best headphones I can get instead for $200 or less? Figure some Sannheiser model but what is the equivalent of the $200 studio monitors I currently use with my PC? Or maybe, how wide and deep are the cheap Kurzweil K??40 monitors?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 5, 2010

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Stygian posted:

Very nice, man. Where'd you see them to have that done?

At the Avalon in Hollywood last Friday. It sucks though since the Avalon is also a club of sorts we were rushed at the signing to get the gently caress out of the venue so I don't have any pictures of me with the band, just them signing the guitar.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

It's like a picture of all the guitars I want to own some day.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

MrLonghair posted:

Picked up a Korg MS2000 a few weeks ago, really not that bad of a machine when you get into it, the tech specs scare people away. Took a picture of it today because I finally had it made a lot more ergonomically friendly to use as a desktop module.

nice synth, looks in good condition too.

check out some of the akg range if you're going down the headphone over monitors route. these would be absolutely prime - http://www.akg.com/personal/K_701,pcatid,4,pid,1,_psmand,1.html

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Kaossilator Pro.

A very nice upgrade from the original, has enough features to be considered an outright musical weapon compared to the toy-like qualities of its little sibling. Having the light grid makes it a lot easier to play repeated note patterns but is still very touchy (hence the "kaoss" element I guess). Have not yet had a chance to try out the vocoder settings do to not having the right cable.
Easily the best thing is the loop recorder bank down the bottom, essentially 4 Kaossilators side by side which can be dropped in/out and modified independently.

And the light patterns are so pretty.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Agreed posted:

Been awhile since I got to post anything, but I'm making up for it in style:

KRK 10s subwoofer which fits my VXT 6 monitors like a guddamned glove. It's small but makes an absolutely enormous sound. Like, holy poo poo, this sub is massive sounding. It has a simple reverse polarity phase switch, which isn't as nice as the previous 4-position switch I had and certainly isn't as nice as an idea 360º adjustment... But, uh, 180 sounds great, and it's small and so easy to position for optimal phase relationship anyway. It also has a "ground lift" that isn't actually a ground lift, but is really basically a noise reduction filter for the power section. FINALLY loving FINALLY cured hearing iconic classic rock tunes in my right monitor at a volume audible enough to be annoying, and fixed some general hum I was getting. God-awful power in this joint, I tell ya.

I could have chosen a picture from any web site, but I used this one that Google Image Search found because it described it as "le subwoofer KRK," and I like that. I am listening to music and making music with le subwoofer KRK.

Mostly listening to music right now, gotta get accustomed to the differences between this and my previous sub. It's tight, very tight - I was using a bandpass design before and this is designed essentially like the VXTs, with the same kind of dimensionally appropriate front port... Glass-aramid composite, not Kevlar like the VXTs, but the 12 seemed like a lot of overkill for my needs. This is definitely what I was looking for.

Got one of these bad dudes for christmas. You are right, it is loud as gently caress. I had to drop the volume down to ~-20db just to get it to balance with the mix in my room. But it definitely rules for listening and production, especially if you make electronic music. You will also find that with a subwoofer you have to keep your room clean or else all of the junk on your desk will buzz.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
Nyckelharpa built by Elov Jansson in November 09 (I think)

Bought it at the start of Febuary this year, but I just got a floor stand for it which lets me pose it for photos. It sounds amazing, the tone is incredibly rich and keeps going forever once you let go of the strings. I'm totally in love with it :)

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Placeholder posted:

:circlefap:

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
^ wanna play that nyckelharpa

I just ordered an Agile Intrepid Pro 28'' scale 8 string w/ ebony fretboard :D

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.
Got some cream plastic and gold knobs for my vintage mahogany lp I posted a page or two back...

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner (stock picture):

I'm still getting used to it, but it seems to respond faster and with greater accuracy than my Korg Pitchblack. Probably the best pedal tuner I've tried, so far at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheeswhiz
Nov 21, 2003

ketchup fucking sucks

sailorjosh posted:

Got some cream plastic and gold knobs for my vintage mahogany lp I posted a page or two back...

Wow that looks WAY better now.