Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

The Flying Milton posted:

Echoing to say that I got this working on my turd laptop by writing a custom config for dosbox. Worst case scenario, you can steal one of the configs from M.A.X. That works pretty well.

I want to buy it from GOG :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

AxeManiac posted:

I want to buy it from GOG :3:

I love supporting things that are awesome ideas, helpful, and dirt cheap.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I haven't been able to get any variant of MOO2 working on Win7 64-bit so I'm set and ready to throw money at GOG the moment it hits. I loves the work these guys do.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

gender illusionist posted:

You know what these guys need to sell? Missionforce: Cyberstorm. Nothing I do can get this running :mad:

I have a Windows 98 VM for games like that :). Cyberstorm 1 and 2 both run fine that way.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

SavageMessiah posted:

I have a Windows 98 VM for games like that :). Cyberstorm 1 and 2 both run fine that way.

Got a link to one? I just googled it and it's a bit bewildering to be honest.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

gender illusionist posted:

Got a link to one? I just googled it and it's a bit bewildering to be honest.

FYI: A VM is a virtual machine, an image. You need to buy the software and use a legit OS, so we can't have people trading vm images here.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Charlie Mopps posted:

Betrayal at Krondor has been released for $5.99

Hasn't this game been freeware since 2000 or so? Either way, I guess you're just paying for the XP and Vista compatibility, but it's still odd.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sankis posted:

Hasn't this game been freeware since 2000 or so? Either way, I guess you're just paying for the XP and Vista compatibility, but it's still odd.

Not officially. Sierra released it late 90s as a promotion for the sequel then removed it from their website. Everyone suddenly hopped on the idea that it was freeware and the damage was already done so Sierra just stopped caring.

This is also the superior CD version which includes an interview with the book's author or something.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

AxeManiac posted:

FYI: A VM is a virtual machine, an image. You need to buy the software and use a legit OS, so we can't have people trading vm images here.

Cracking down on someone asking for Windows 98? Seriously?

Also, there are a lot of free VM solutions: VirtualBox is free, VirtualPC was free (not sure if MS has removed it since it's integrated in Win7) and VMWare has their Player software which cannot create images, but can use existing ones.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

ymgve posted:

Cracking down on someone asking for Windows 98? Seriously?
It's like cracking down on someone asking for the "freeware" copy of Betrayal at Krondor. Maybe GOG should have bundled BaK and Win98 :haw:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
AquaNox 2: Revelation is now on GOG for $5.99.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blodskur posted:

AquaNox 2: Revelation is now on GOG for $5.99.

This game has some of the most hilarious quotes you'll ever hear outside of engrish NES games. "This kid's as hard as my dick in the morning!"

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

Betrayal at Krondor has been released for $5.99

Looked at that page because I loved the game back then and read all the books.

Saw this, lol:

© 1993 Activision Publishing, Inc. Activision is a registered trademark of Activision Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and trade names are the properties of their respective owners.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Spring sale. Nothing amazing, but I guess if you're missing a game or two from that list it's a good time to pick them up.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I think it's a good sale. Hell, they're putting out tons of awesome classic games optimized to run on modern machines at less than budget prices. I picked up Gothic 2. I had good memories of the demo that unfortunately was in German.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Serious Michael posted:

I think it's a good sale. Hell, they're putting out tons of awesome classic games optimized to run on modern machines at less than budget prices. I picked up Gothic 2. I had good memories of the demo that unfortunately was in German.

Ditto on both the "good sale" and "picked up Gothic 2" parts.

Can anyone put in a good plug for Disciples 2? The description says it's turn-based strategy, but is it more like Civ or Heroes of Might & Magic or what?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Can anyone put in a good plug for Disciples 2? The description says it's turn-based strategy, but is it more like Civ or Heroes of Might & Magic or what?

If you like HoMM I don't think it's possible to hate Disciples 2 but god drat does that game get HARD.

edit: I just looked at that sale and every single game is worth buying. I was waiting for Evil Genius to come down in price because I missed it on the Christmas sale. No excuse now.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 2, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Blodskur posted:

Spring sale. Nothing amazing, but I guess if you're missing a game or two from that list it's a good time to pick them up.

Guess I'm gonna have to pick up Heroes 3 now. And maybe Myst. Even though I don't have time for either of them :sweatdrop:
Are there a lot of user-made multiplayer co-op maps for H3? Me and a friend used to play the ones who came with the game all the time when we were younger, would be fun to try out some new ones on higher difficulty.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cool, this might be the time where I finally break down and get Fallout.
And how's Heroes 3? I like turn-based strategy but I have a really hard time playing them over a long period; I have a couple Fire Emblem games and I guess I've had one too many missions where someone dies on a boneheaded move/lucky crit and I lose an hour or so of work.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Cool, this might be the time where I finally break down and get Fallout.
And how's Heroes 3? I like turn-based strategy but I have a really hard time playing them over a long period; I have a couple Fire Emblem games and I guess I've had one too many missions where someone dies on a boneheaded move/lucky crit and I lose an hour or so of work.

That generally won't happen with HoMM3, largely because you can save anywhere and most battles really don't last more than 5-10 minutes apiece.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Disciples 2 is like HOMM but with turnbased JRPG style fights instead of hex based strategy fights. Members of your armies can level up and health is persistent from fight to fight so healing is incredibly important/annoying.

Its best not to play if you get really angry about video games or else you will throw something when one of your awesome army members dies.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Disciples 2 also has a great visual style. Some of the later upgrades of the units, especially of the Demon faction, are quite the horrific sight.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

...and purchased Disciples II too. I love me some HoMM-style strategy. Thanks for the plugs, guys!

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Have a squeezeball handy while playing it. I wish the humans weren't the only ones with a healing unit.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Disciples is horribly difficult at times, but Heroes III is the best game in the world and everyone should get it.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Heroes II has prettier art than Heroes III, but they're both excellent games anyway.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Saw the sale, wondering about Myst: Masterpiece Edition and Win7 x64, anyone have experience? There's one comment claiming incompatibility on GOG but can't find much elsewhere.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
What I've found is most people who claim something's incompatible with Win 7 x64 really mean "I've tried to get it to run once, and it didn't work, so I immediately blamed it on Win7 without trying anything to fix it." If you don't find anyone else complaining, it probably works. If not, there's always XP mode.

Personally picked up Heroes III since I only had Vanilla when it came out, Disciples II since I like what I played of it on GameTap and Gothic II since I like what I've heard about it.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
Buglord

A Violence Gang posted:

Saw the sale, wondering about Myst: Masterpiece Edition and Win7 x64, anyone have experience? There's one comment claiming incompatibility on GOG but can't find much elsewhere.

I have it on that version of Windows and in my experience it's prone to crashing frequently. Messing with the compatibility settings helps but I've never been able to make it stop locking up when inside the clock tower.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is Gothic 2 the best in the series? If Gothic 1 is a must-play then I'll just wait for a 1+2 bundle since I don't like playing earlier installments in a series if they feel really dated compared to the sequel. I liked Risen a lot if that means anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Is Gothic 2 the best in the series? If Gothic 1 is a must-play then I'll just wait for a 1+2 bundle since I don't like playing earlier installments in a series if they feel really dated compared to the sequel. I liked Risen a lot if that means anything.

They're pretty much the same game in terms of how they play. Both games haven't aged too well as they use the same clunky control scheme but you can enjoy one without the other. Gothic 2 has some recurring characters but they practically reintroduce themselves.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
I've never played the Gothic games. Is the combat like Morrowind? Is it turn-based?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Fishmonkey posted:

I've never played the Gothic games. Is the combat like Morrowind? Is it turn-based?

It's real time. And it can be difficult as hell in the beginning. There is no level scaling monsters so some areas appear inaccessible because you'll get killed easily. However, if you're good at maneuvering as a low level character, it's possible to get to these areas but it's a bit tough and time consuming.

Lots of little hidden things in a well-made world. It's not nearly as big as morrowind but it feels alive with people doing their own things and wildlife roaming and eating stuff.

I really liked the gothic games more than the elder scrolls series because the plot and characters are much more interesting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fishmonkey posted:

It's a funky little action based system. You enter your combat stance and basically mash the attack buttons to do different attacks while timing them for combos. Like GoldenNugget said, there's no level scaling so you can travel anywhere on the map but watch out for wild boars and dinosaurs which will tear your rear end up.

The first hour is the hardest (which seems to be true of any classic CRPG) but once you get your first set of armor and learn the nuances the game becomes easier. Gothic 1 and 2 are one of the few games which make me feel truly powerful by the end (I went mage so I was fireballing poo poo all over the place) because you begin weaker than a newborn child. In the beginning you can barely kill a giant fly but by the end you're slicing orcs left and right.

As for the world, it's smaller but more detailed than Morrowind. First game takes place in a penal colony ruled by three factions and it's one of the more unique RPG settings because of it. You've got the clan of drugged up hippie druids waiting for their god to return, a sleazy slum town run by water mages, and a traditional fortress where all the criminals claim to be honorable and stuff. The second game has a larger world (especially with the expansion pack which also happens to make the game a billion times harder) and it's more traditional fantasy but there's a lot more to do.

Both games are great and you can easily start with Gothic 2 and still appreciate Gothic 1 later.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

After playing Gothic 1 for 40 some hours, I actually changed Gothic 2's controls to be exactly the same as 1. It's a bitch to learn but once you have it down it's not bad. The only thing to remember is that in the beginning, when you suck, it's not 100% the controls, it's because you are weak and you suck.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Gothic 2 seems enjoyable but this goddamn control scheme is worse than Saints Row 2 PC menus.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Concering HoMM3 windowed mode, there is an unofficial 32 Bit patch that enables you to change to windowed mode by pressing F4 in-game, if your desktop screen depth is set to 32 Bit. Works great with the GOG version.

On a different note, has anybody managed to play GOG's The Settlers 2 GOLD split-screen multiplayer with two USB mice or a notebook touchpad and a USB mouse?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Now that I buckled and picked up Fallout and Heroes 3, are there any good mods/patches to pick up for them? I hear there's a quite a few to choose from, especially for FO (grabbed the 32-bit windowed patch for Heroes, thanks FLX)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
There's a post on the gog fallout forums that lists the 5 different patches to get, and where from, and what order to install them in order to have an awesome game. I'm probably gonna do this myself shortly, though I just started the last DLC from FO3 that I haven't done yet, and I might finish that first :)

end of first post, user recommended setup
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/Fallout_Series/fallout_1_faq/_/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

C-Euro posted:

Now that I buckled and picked up Fallout and Heroes 3, are there any good mods/patches to pick up for them? I hear there's a quite a few to choose from, especially for FO (grabbed the 32-bit windowed patch for Heroes, thanks FLX)
For Heroes 3, there's an enormous expansion-pack type thing called In the Wake of Gods, that has millions of features, which change the game up to an incredible degree. I personally hate a lot of the features in it, but it's worth keeping around as an alternate install for the custom maps that make full use of the scripting language it introduced.

But honestly, play the normal game until you're tired of it before you try WoG. There's about 20 campaigns of varying length, plenty of maps that come with the game, millions of downloadable maps (celestialheavens.com has the best and most up-to-date archive I think, although it's hard knowing where to start). (But get Sander's Folly, it owns. As does every Timothy Duncan map.)

Rythian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 5, 2010