Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Please tell me that's the first bike he's ever ridden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

AncientTV posted:

Please tell me that's the first bike he's ever ridden.

Naw, his second. He's been riding a Ninja 650R for a year.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
A logical progression :allears:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

AncientTV posted:

Well he's also 330lbs so it's more like an R6 in performance...

And he's ridden track

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Ah, redacted then. It's much more sane in that case.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Jack the Smack posted:

330lbs

Needs a Hayabusa.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

Needs a Hayabusa.

With the 3rd wheel

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Jack the Smack posted:

Well he's also 330lbs

Wait, why doesn't he own a full dress Harley? I always imagined that Harley dealership have a weight scale that will tell you which Harley is right for you.

"I'm sorry, little guy, but 170 lbs means you have to ride a Sportster. Come back when you are big enough for a man's bike or when you grow a beard that touches your chest."

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010
PICTURE AVALANCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :supaburn:

Ok 1st up is an x-ray of my hand from 25th Nov 2009.I had a run in with some fool who came down a slip road/on-ramp and came straight out to lane 2(WHILST LANE 1 WAS EMPTY!!!!)of a 3 lane motorway/freeway,knocking the hornet an me over and into lane 3!Luckily for me there was nothing coming up lane 3 or I would've been a speed bump!

Next is a project the guys down my local bike shop are working on,looks cool,I think it's a 1100 suzuki lump in a norton frame/chassis

Hmm what could be the cause/result of such strange wear on a NEW TYRE!?

OH NOES!:cry:

I just turned up at the shop 5 minutes after this happened.Guy had a new tyre fitted,then just gave it a fistful(in a straight line!!!not even turning!) outside the shop and it spat him off!Apparently the rider damaged the top half of the fairing with his body when he fell off!What's worse is that he was just on his way home to put it on eBay! :ughh:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

AncientTV posted:

Not to start a shitstorm but if you spend a year of being a safe rider on a smaller bike I don't see why you can't buy a liter bike.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

No one's saying you can't, just that it isn't the most wise decision.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

n8r posted:

Not to start a shitstorm but if you spend a year of being a safe rider on a smaller bike I don't see why you can't buy a liter bike.
I think a lot of the issue isn't necessarily the rider being an idiot, it's more old habits which might be dangerous on a new, much more powerful RR bike. If you're used to the throttle response on a Ninja 250, and you hop on a 600 or 1000RR and expect the same throttle/response/speed correlation, you might get yourself in trouble faster pretty quickly. This would be especially prevalent if you get into a hairy situation, and your 'Ninja 250' lizard brain kicks in.

I think if you're able to attack any new bike like you're relearning to ride, you'll be better off. Hell, I'm still getting used to how different my Buell was from my Speed Triple. It's only a 30hp difference, but the throttle response has caught me offguard a time or two.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Fantastipotamus posted:

I think a lot of the issue isn't necessarily the rider being an idiot, it's more old habits which might be dangerous on a new, much more powerful RR bike. If you're used to the throttle response on a Ninja 250, and you hop on a 600 or 1000RR and expect the same throttle/response/speed correlation, you might get yourself in trouble faster pretty quickly. This would be especially prevalent if you get into a hairy situation, and your 'Ninja 250' lizard brain kicks in.

I think if you're able to attack any new bike like you're relearning to ride, you'll be better off. Hell, I'm still getting used to how different my Buell was from my Speed Triple. It's only a 30hp difference, but the throttle response has caught me offguard a time or two.

Isn't the issue here 'what happens when you get a liter bike for free and are a fat annoying pain in the rear end'?

I know *I'd* ride it... :iamafag:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Speaking of literbikes.... Some videos from today's dyno sesson.

My Honda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qLd45LMicc

A friend's stock buell 1125R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV-1WE2PmZk

1125R with a custom built exhaust (that was insanely loud...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HOtd5-h5Wg

More to come when my internet connection decides it wants to puke some more poo poo up on the internet.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

pr0zac posted:

I was totally into it until I saw they want $75 + shipping for it. I'd rather just buy a proper stand for that price.

Or make one for about $10.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31275&highlight=stand+cane

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A couple shots from today. Would've taken more but I didn't want to stop riding.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Raven457 posted:

I was referring more to the "rich urban biker" crowd. There's no shame in not riding in the cold. Just 'cause some people do it, doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Maybe, but I was definitely thinking "WHERE WERE ALL YOU FUCKERS WHEN IT WAS 35 DEGREES" over the last week when it warmed up and all the bikes appeared.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Tsaven Nava posted:

Maybe, but I was definitely thinking "WHERE WERE ALL YOU FUCKERS WHEN IT WAS 35 DEGREES" over the last week when it warmed up and all the bikes appeared.

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. My friends are all like "it sucks your bike doesnt work, I'm going for my first ride of the year today"...and i just reply "I've already put in 500 miles this season!"

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
:smug: I live in Tucson, what's riding season?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Armacham posted:

Hey, you get some heavy rains, and your inadequate street drainage can keep you off the roads at times :\

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Armacham posted:

US191, north of clifton. Oh god I love that road.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...1,0.222988&z=13

drat that looks nice. And holy poo poo, google maps does 3-d in streetview now! :aaa:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

blugu64 posted:

US191, north of clifton. Oh god I love that road.

I've driven out around in the Gila nat. forest area in a car without power steering. I can only assume a motorcycle would have been MUCH more awesome.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

UserNotFound posted:

Hey, you get some heavy rains, and your inadequate street drainage can keep you off the roads at times :\

I have a dual sport :smug:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmRGBNHJtoc

:cheers:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I was playing with my cheapo helmet cam today and got a pretty good view of what bad exhaust valve seals look like from my gf's kz305 riding in front of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zGpNqh1UXo#t=0m26s

I need to pull it apart and fix it but the bike runs so good I am afraid I will screw it up.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 6, 2010

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I've officially exhausted youtube's supply of motorcycle clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXAx_kH3Mk&feature=related

Keep in mind I ONLY clicked links from Lair's video above to get to this...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

UserNotFound posted:

I... I ... um... :psyduck:

I think this is the first time I can safely ignore the urge to complain about improper gear.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

UserNotFound posted:

I was expecting her to get it to cruise down a road while she stood on the seat and belly danced. Lame.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Armacham posted:

That brief 3 months during which the mercury stays south of 100

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redscare posted:

That brief 3 months during which the mercury stays south of 100

that's only a problem as long as you are not moving

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

No humidity must be nice, anything over 95 here in Ohio is gawd awful.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LeftyChris posted:

It's a diesel motorbike that doesn't look awful

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...%3Doff%26sa%3DG

This is a few pages old but I thought I'd post this in case any other Americans are lusting after this like I am.

I emailed them at LeftyChris's suggestion to ask if there would be a US version, and got this reply today.

quote:

Hallo Sam,

Thank you for your e-mail to our company.

If we ever will come or go to the North and South Americas depend on many things.

We now only focus on Europe. And are never sure what will be next ;-)

So, sorry but not at this moment.

Groet / Regards

Erik Vegt CEO
Track Dieselpowered motorfietsen.

So that's too bad. Nice of him to get back to me though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
if that's the diesel i think it is, i read a review in some magazine and they didn't like it much. i don't remember all their complaints but one was that it uses a CVT and therefore you get an irritating monotonous drone out of the engine everywhere you go at every speed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

motorfietsen sounds like a fart that goes babroomabommabomma

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

if that's the diesel i think it is, i read a review in some magazine and they didn't like it much. i don't remember all their complaints but one was that it uses a CVT and therefore you get an irritating monotonous drone out of the engine everywhere you go at every speed.

That sounds positively efficiently boring if that's the case. Though if my horrendous math skills are correct it gets in the area of 100 MPG, that's pretty nice.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 7, 2010

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010
I could live with the monotonous drone in return for mpg! ESPECIALLY AS PETROL IN THE UK IS NEARLY £1.30/$2 a LITRE! :argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

LeftyChris posted:

I could live with the monotonous drone in return for mpg! ESPECIALLY AS PETROL IN THE UK IS NEARLY £1.30/$2 a LITRE! :argh:

5.75$ a gallon. Nice.

I think we're irritated because it's a little over 3$. Also isn't like 50% of your gasoline cost taxes levied by your government?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Also isn't like 50% of your gasoline cost taxes levied by your government?

Probably more if you include VAT and such. At least we get free health care when we crash. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Z3n posted:

5.75$ a gallon. Nice.

I think we're irritated because it's a little over 3$. Also isn't like 50% of your gasoline cost taxes levied by your government?

Aren't there 3.7 liters in a US gallon? Thats more like $7.50 per US gallon.

And frankly, I think we should have slightly more gas tax here in the US rather than messing around with CAFE and gas guzzler taxes and stuff like that.