Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I hate to add another identification request to the thread, anyone know anything about this?

I know it's a poor picture, but it was taken under poor conditions. I'm really interested in knowing who the artist is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'm looking to put a comedy CD online for purchase. I've looked at various options and want something easy. CDbaby would give me perpetuity but costs a lot of money up front, plus I have to ship copies to Seattle (which I haven't ended up doing). E-junkie looks good, can anyone recommend something easier/cheaper? Otherwise I'll go with that.

Being able to create my own previews would be nice but not required.

MIRV Griffin
Jul 31, 2009
I'm working on some comics pages, with the hopeful intention of trying to publish at some point, so I'm trying to keep to professional standards, using 11x17 sheets and so on.

Is there any reason not to use black gouache for "inking"? I just find it would be easier and cover better than regular india ink for certain applications.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Jerry Steve Dave posted:

I'm working on some comics pages, with the hopeful intention of trying to publish at some point, so I'm trying to keep to professional standards, using 11x17 sheets and so on.

Is there any reason not to use black gouache for "inking"? I just find it would be easier and cover better than regular india ink for certain applications.

The only reason I can see to not do this is that gouache's chalk base is very flat, and india ink is slightly lustrous on the page. If the publisher digitizes it correctly, you should see no difference, but there could still be some problems or visible edges where the gouache and the ink meet. If you use entirely one medium, then I see no problem at all.

Island Samurai
Feb 21, 2008

"You're leading the innocent astray..."
How do I turn a photo into a stencil for screen printing? I know there's a thread on stencils, but I don't think it actually goes into how to convert a photo (or picture) step by step.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

clam posted:

How do I turn a photo into a stencil for screen printing? I know there's a thread on stencils, but I don't think it actually goes into how to convert a photo (or picture) step by step.

If you have Photoshop, you can use the Posterize filter to make a (somewhat lovely) two-tone (black and white only) version of a photo. However, a lot of people aren't satisfied with the results of that. If you aren't convinced of your own artistic skills, try using the filter and then tracing/filling in the small jaggy areas it creates to form large areas of solid black or white.

There's not a good mechanical solution to this: most stencil artists use their own judgement to basically redraw photos so that they are only black and white.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010
I want to post a short story in the Creative Convention, but I have a concern: publishers generally consider a work that's been posted online to be "published", from what I've heard. Critique groups usually don't count, but I think that's because most of them require at least some form of registration before being able to view any submissions, even if the registration is free. SA's forums are open for viewing to anyone and threads show up in google searches, so could posting a story here for critique land me in trouble later if I'm trying to get it published?

I read the rules for CC and couldn't find anything addressing this issue. Is there maybe an option to make a specific thread viewable to members only?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

ColdCock posted:

I hate to add another identification request to the thread, anyone know anything about this?

I know it's a poor picture, but it was taken under poor conditions. I'm really interested in knowing who the artist is.

might be Odilon Redon

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
I'm using After Effects to animate a skeleton. I've got the torso, head and limbs all as separate pieces, and I'm looking for some way to "connect" them in such a way that they can rotate independently but never move out of place. I feel like this should be pretty simple, any ideas?

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

Elder posted:

I'm using After Effects to animate a skeleton. I've got the torso, head and limbs all as separate pieces, and I'm looking for some way to "connect" them in such a way that they can rotate independently but never move out of place. I feel like this should be pretty simple, any ideas?

You should just be able to achieve this with anchor points and parenting.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

Elder posted:

What is your familiarity with this kind of work in general? It's hard to answer this without being insulting without knowing your skill level.

You know what parenting is, right?

^^^ What he said. Anchor points and parenting are kind of the point of the program.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Okay, yes, I think that should do it. I should have mentioned that I'm learning After Effects as I go, but I think I should be able to figure it out from that. I've got the rotation down using the anchor points, I think parenting should solve the "connecting" issue. Let me try this out, thank you.

Edit: Yeah, you can assume I don't know anything, but I can pick it up pretty quick if it's not super advanced stuff.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

Elder posted:

Okay, yes, I think that should do it. I should have mentioned that I'm learning After Effects as I go, but I think I should be able to figure it out from that. I've got the rotation down using the anchor points, I think parenting should solve the "connecting" issue. Let me try this out, thank you.

Edit: Yeah, you can assume I don't know anything, but I can pick it up pretty quick if it's not super advanced stuff.

Are you working from a book? I swear to God one of the exercises I did when learning after effects was animating a skeleton... If not, there are tons of great resources out there online that ye old Google should be pretty helpful with.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Not Memorable posted:

Are you working from a book? I swear to God one of the exercises I did when learning after effects was animating a skeleton... If not, there are tons of great resources out there online that ye old Google should be pretty helpful with.

Nope, I just kind of jumped in head first, but it's been surprisingly easy so far! As you said, there's just a ton of resources of google and for the most part I've been able to find tutorials for most of the things I've needed so far. I'm really loving this program so far, it's a blast to work with.

Haha, I'm sitting here working out the parenting structure and I'm literally thinking to myself "okay, the leg bone's connected to the hip bone..."

Also I just realized I used the phrase "so far" three times in that post.

Elder fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 20, 2010

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Elder -- there are some scripts to create IK rigging systems within AE. Here're some links:

http://www.simplycg.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3974
http://aeportal.blogspot.com/2009/03/inverse-kinematics-script-for-after.html

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Travakian posted:

Elder -- there are some scripts to create IK rigging systems within AE. Here're some links:

http://www.simplycg.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3974
http://aeportal.blogspot.com/2009/03/inverse-kinematics-script-for-after.html

Wow, that looks very cool, thanks! My brain is getting a little slow now so I will have to take a look at it tomorrow but it seems like exactly the thing I need.

Anchor points and parenting is working very well though.

Elder fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 20, 2010

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Elder posted:

Wow, that looks very cool, thanks! My brain is getting a little slow now so I will have to take a look at it tomorrow but it seems like exactly the thing I need.

Anchor points and parenting is working very well though.

Also. http://aescripts.com/ is your friend. For most of them, you can choose to pay a small donation, or just enter 0 for free download.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

terrorist plumber posted:

I want to post a short story in the Creative Convention, but I have a concern: publishers generally consider a work that's been posted online to be "published", from what I've heard. Critique groups usually don't count, but I think that's because most of them require at least some form of registration before being able to view any submissions, even if the registration is free. SA's forums are open for viewing to anyone and threads show up in google searches, so could posting a story here for critique land me in trouble later if I'm trying to get it published?

I read the rules for CC and couldn't find anything addressing this issue. Is there maybe an option to make a specific thread viewable to members only?

There's been some debate about that. Every editor I know personally has said "pfft, that's retarded," but other CC writers have reported problems with it. If you're worried about it, maybe you could post a short excerpt and offer to email the story to interested parties or put it up for download somewhere. Your excerpt would probably have to be really good for people to go to all the trouble, though.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

clam posted:

Here's another method that I like A LOT.

Bring your image into photoshop. Play with the levels so the contrast of the image is nice. Go to Select>Color Range. Select "Shadows" and click OK. (You might want to make sure you have a feathering of 1 or so in your Select setting).

Next, go to your layer/channels/path menu, click the Path tab. Click on "Make work path from selection".

Go to Edit>Define Custom Shape. Give it a name. Now this creates a new shape for you.

Open a new blank page, click on shapes, custom shapes and pick your new shape that you just created. Hold down whatever key that keeps it in proportion when you make a shape (on a mac it's Shift). Ta da! You have your stencil.

Also:
When you do the Select>Color Range, you can also do "Highlight" and make a stencil from that, if you want to do a two-tone stencil. Just make the two different screens, and voila!

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010

Slashie posted:

There's been some debate about that. Every editor I know personally has said "pfft, that's retarded," but other CC writers have reported problems with it. If you're worried about it, maybe you could post a short excerpt and offer to email the story to interested parties or put it up for download somewhere. Your excerpt would probably have to be really good for people to go to all the trouble, though.

Would you happen to know what kind of problems other CC writers have had? Are they of the "We'll accept this if you remove all other versions that you might have posted on the web" variety, or are they more along the lines of "We would accept this, but it's already been posted online and deleting or otherwise removing it doesn't change the fact that it's already been made available to the public once and therefore doesn't count as a previously unpublished work. Sorry." I think the story is at least somewhat good so I don't mind posting an excerpt, but I'm pretty sure posting the full version would get more responses/critiques regardless of quality, so I'd rather try that if it won't screw me over later on.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Would you happen to know what kind of problems other CC writers have had? Are they of the "We'll accept this if you remove all other versions that you might have posted on the web" variety, or are they more along the lines of "We would accept this, but it's already been posted online and deleting or otherwise removing it doesn't change the fact that it's already been made available to the public once and therefore doesn't count as a previously unpublished work. Sorry." I think the story is at least somewhat good so I don't mind posting an excerpt, but I'm pretty sure posting the full version would get more responses/critiques regardless of quality, so I'd rather try that if it won't screw me over later on.

I don't know, you should probably ask in the Fiction Writing thread. I will say, with no offense intended, that there's a chance your writing isn't as publishable as you think it is. Maybe you could "sacrifice" one story to internet critique, and apply whatever you learn from that to the next story you write.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as overconfident about publishability (is that a word?). Just covering my bases, you know. Anyway, guess I'll just go ahead and put it up, what the hell. And yeah, I completely missed the fact that there is a fiction writing thread. I’ll post in there in the future.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as overconfident about publishability (is that a word?). Just covering my bases, you know. Anyway, guess I'll just go ahead and put it up, what the hell. And yeah, I completely missed the fact that there is a fiction writing thread. I’ll post in there in the future.
If you're doing this right, then your work will change dramatically between drafts. Revision, revision, revision

Grimtooth
Dec 4, 2004

Fred Meijer has a posse....
I have a new mic (u37 from CAD Professional Microphones) and it detects sound, because the little... bar (what is it called?) moves up and down the louder or softer I speak. but when I record, either in Windows Sound Recorder or WavePad, and play it back, there is nothing. No static, no air, nothing at all. I tried both these programs with a lovely regular mic and they worked fine.

(not sure if this is technically a hardware/software problem, but I figured that you guys might know more about it)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Grimtooth posted:

I have a new mic (u37 from CAD Professional Microphones) and it detects sound, because the little... bar (what is it called?) moves up and down the louder or softer I speak. but when I record, either in Windows Sound Recorder or WavePad, and play it back, there is nothing. No static, no air, nothing at all. I tried both these programs with a lovely regular mic and they worked fine.

(not sure if this is technically a hardware/software problem, but I figured that you guys might know more about it)

Sounds like the lovely little mics have been plug and play but this one may need to be installed before any of your sound programs recognize it. It's been a long time since I used Windows, isn't there an option you can go to under the Control Panel or something to install a sound device?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

:words:

I have been asked before to gas threads from other CC posters who are either getting published or attempting to get published. I believe that gassed threads aren't indexed by google, and if you are paranoid, you can edit your story out beforehand (provided it hasn't been quoted in it's entirety). All you have to do is PM or email me, and be okay with your 15-minute auto-probation.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010

pipes! posted:

I have been asked before to gas threads from other CC posters who are either getting published or attempting to get published. I believe that gassed threads aren't indexed by google, and if you are paranoid, you can edit your story out beforehand (provided it hasn't been quoted in it's entirety). All you have to do is PM or email me, and be okay with your 15-minute auto-probation.

Awesome. I've already made a post and once I've gotten some good critiques I'll edit it out before I send it out anywhere. I don't have private messaging so I'll just email you. I don't know about that 15-minute auto-probation though, I just can't imagine life without being able to post here for 15 whole minutes. Make it 5 minutes and we have a deal.

MrFist
Aug 30, 2005
Heres my question !

I remember seeing a papercraft thread a good while ago, and I think its awesome, ive finally gotten round to getting a printer & I cannot find any half decent sites for good templates.

Any one have any links? Thank you

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I assume there are a lot of Photoshop CS4 users in this forum so I may have some luck here.

I've been trying to sort out a problem I'm having with gradient banding for days now, and just can't find a solution. I've googled the gently caress out of this and there are two solutions that keep popping up:

1) Turn off OpenGL drawing (Done!)
2) Make sure your monitor is set to display 32 bit colours (Done!)

Neither of these solutions helped. There's also a supposed work around where you "Add Noise" to the gradient to make it appear less banded, but this strikes me as ridiculous since you're basically trading one undesirable artefact for another.

Has anyone else encountered this ugly banding issue with CS4 gradients? I'm not at home at the moment so I can't show an example, a quick Google Image search reveals this though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/liquidityzero/bandingproblem.jpg

Which is exactly what I'm seeing with my gradients. Is there any fix to this at all?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Gnack posted:

I don't know if this is the place to post this, but I assume there are a lot of Photoshop CS4 users in this forum so I may have some luck here.

I've been trying to sort out a problem I'm having with gradient banding for days now, and just can't find a solution. I've googled the gently caress out of this and there are two solutions that keep popping up:

1) Turn off OpenGL drawing (Done!)
2) Make sure your monitor is set to display 32 bit colours (Done!)

Neither of these solutions helped. There's also a supposed work around where you "Add Noise" to the gradient to make it appear less banded, but this strikes me as ridiculous since you're basically trading one undesirable artefact for another.

Has anyone else encountered this ugly banding issue with CS4 gradients? I'm not at home at the moment so I can't show an example, a quick Google Image search reveals this though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/liquidityzero/bandingproblem.jpg

Which is exactly what I'm seeing with my gradients. Is there any fix to this at all?

Are you seeing this problem when you are working on the file, or when you save in a flattened format? If you are seeing it in the working file, what color mode are you working in?

Also, are you referring to the banding in the horizontal gradient in the image you posted, or the radial one?

I don't know if I can help you at all, but knowing these kind of things will help narrow down the cause.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

gmc9987 posted:

Are you seeing this problem when you are working on the file, or when you save in a flattened format? If you are seeing it in the working file, what color mode are you working in?
I'm seeing it in the working file but to a much more tolerable extent. It's still pretty bad, just not AS bad as when it gets saved: that's when it really stuffs up.

gmc9987 posted:

Also, are you referring to the banding in the horizontal gradient in the image you posted, or the radial one?
Both really, but the horizontal gradient is closest to the effect I'm seeing.

Also to save someone the trouble of asking, it's not a problem even remotely related to my actual display settings because I can see gradients elsewhere just fine, it's when I create them that this problem arises.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Gnack posted:

I'm seeing it in the working file but to a much more tolerable extent. It's still pretty bad, just not AS bad as when it gets saved: that's when it really stuffs up.

Both really, but the horizontal gradient is closest to the effect I'm seeing.

Also to save someone the trouble of asking, it's not a problem even remotely related to my actual display settings because I can see gradients elsewhere just fine, it's when I create them that this problem arises.

So what color mode are you working in? RGB, CMYK? Are you making the gradients in color or black and white?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Hey guys, I'm making a small photobook for myself, just for fun. It's going to be 6x8. I have a few blurbs to go with it. Will 9pt size font still be fairly easy to read? It's kind of hard to tell in the software with the distortion when viewed at 100%. As I said earlier, it's meant mainly for myself so I'm not worried about people with poor eyesight not being able to read it. Also I've been told to make the images 300dpi. They come out from my camera as 240dpi but all of them gets scaled down a lot to fit the 6x8 format. Will I be alright leaving them at 240dpi?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
You could always just print a test sheet and see how a photo and the text look.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Sorry, forgot to mention I'm having a print shop doing the printing. They specialize in photobooks. Didn't even think about printing out a test page because I don't have a printer, heh. I guess I can check text legibility if I just print out at page at any internet shop but won't be able to see image quality of course.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Ahh, OK. Well, how readable the font is at that size changes depnding on the font so you'll probably want to print out a page with the font you chose. 9 is pretty small, so you may have to go bigger.

Also anything above 200 dpi will probably look just fine when printed, but you could always ask the print shop if you could see a test page or proof to get it right before they print it up for real (even printshops like Kinko's and Officemax typically do this, it's kind of standard practice to make sure you're getting things the way you want before they go and print up the whole thing on really nice expensive paper).

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

gmc9987 posted:

Ahh, OK. Well, how readable the font is at that size changes depnding on the font so you'll probably want to print out a page with the font you chose. 9 is pretty small, so you may have to go bigger.

9 is considered the smallest you can go without affecting legibility, as far as I know. However, depending on the type of printing. If it's for a photobook, they're probably using full-color high-end inkjet, which gives great color depth, but sometimes fucks with text since there's so much ink used. It might make the letters a bit thicker than some other methods, so I would get a test print and see what you think.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Is this an appropriate place to ask about making and using a green screen?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Elder posted:

Cinematography thread maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Elder posted:

Well, feel free. Will help as much as I can.