Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

enki42 posted:

How much sun are you getting there? Looks a little on the confined side. I have fairly dappled sun so I'm interested in any raised bed success stories for sketchy amounts of sunlight.

That is actually in the late afternoon. From about 11 til about 3 it's pretty much no shade. And the right side and left side take turns being lit up. So far things are going well, though I will let you know if there are any other issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

madlilnerd posted:

That reminds me of this episode of Wife Swap I watched, where the husband in California started freaking out when the other woman started pegging out his laundry to dry because it would get dirty outside in the sunshine. What kind of retard uses a tumble dryer when they live in the California suburbs?

My brother also refuses to eat certain things straight from the garden (it depends on their proximity to the ground). He says it's because he pees on the compost heap.

I don't understand why my germination rate on peas has been so low this year- and one of my seedlings mysteriously wilted and died for no apparent reason.

Peas are susceptible to fusarium wilt. Did the lower leaves turn yellow, then curl down?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Veila posted:

That is actually in the late afternoon. From about 11 til about 3 it's pretty much no shade. And the right side and left side take turns being lit up. So far things are going well, though I will let you know if there are any other issues.
Cool, from the pic and the angles of the shadows it looked kind of like you had the plot on the north side of the building.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

All my Brussels sprouts outer leaves turned dark purple, wilted and are pretty well dead. The inner leaves are starting to do the same thing. The cabbages don't look as bad but they are on the same road. Fuuuuuuuck. :10bux: down the drain.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Sore as hell, but after two afternoons, I've finally got most of it planted out! Still have one tomato plant, two strawberries, and basil to put out. I'm not going to be able to hang the tomato, the wood available to screw the hanging bracket into won't hold the weight (it's too rotted) so I'm going to buy a large self-watering container for it and the basil (I'll plant that under it). I also need one more hanging bracket for the strawberry planter that I'd *thought* I bought but can't seem to find.

I loaded up pics and the specifics of my plantings into my myfolia profile. The final tally of my plants are: Spinach, microgreens, looseleaf lettuce, mesclun mix, 4 types of mint (peppermint, spearmint, mint julep, and chocolate mint), onion and garlic chives, Italian flat-leaf parsley, 2 cilantro plants, 2 stevia plants, garlic (I know you're generally supposed to plant them in fall, but I read somewhere I could grow garlic shoots by planting in spring, which sounded interesting), shallots, chili and jalapeno peppers, 2 strawberry plants, 2 tomato plants (Early Girl and Husky Red Cherry), 2 types of oregano (Hot & Spicy and Italian), catnip, lavender, 2 types of rosemary (Tuscan Blue and Barbeque), English Thyme, Sweet Basil, and Sage. *whew*

Hopefully I'll manage to not kill all of them the first month. ;)

Cerri fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 2, 2010

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Cool, from the pic and the angles of the shadows it looked kind of like you had the plot on the north side of the building.

Nope it is to the east. Though an update on the strawberries, I have some berries already plumping up and on both types and they are starting to go red! It has been a few days sense I grounded the herbs and they are starting to pick up too, the tomato is leaning a little but I think its just because I need to add another tie to hold it on it's pole. I will try and get pictures later as it is raining right now.

To the post ^^. Yay another chocolate mint fan! I am thinking about doing some orange too.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 2, 2010

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
I ran across the chocolate mint (as well as the Stevia transplants) at the Dallas Farmer's Market last week, I couldn't resist it. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all that mint once it starts growing, I didn't really plan on growing 4 different varieties, haha.. I imagine I'll be drying alot of it for mint tea this winter, heh.

I might have overdone it a bit on my first container gardening attempt, but ah well...I loves me some fresh herbs, and that's really what most of it is.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Cerri posted:

I ran across the chocolate mint (as well as the Stevia transplants) at the Dallas Farmer's Market last week, I couldn't resist it. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all that mint once it starts growing, I didn't really plan on growing 4 different varieties, haha.. I imagine I'll be drying alot of it for mint tea this winter, heh.

I might have overdone it a bit on my first container gardening attempt, but ah well...I loves me some fresh herbs, and that's really what most of it is.

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Ingredients.aspx?WithTerm=&SearchIn=All&Wanted1=mint

There are about 200 ideas. I love that site for recipes, they have a good rating/comment system to really find out which recipes are good and which ones are lacking.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Doing my transplant tomorrow. I'm heading off to get the compost, lime, and I have some coffee grounds. Should I add some perlite to that mixture to make it retain moisture. I'm assuming 10 percent coffee grounds (all I have) 60 percent compost, 30 percent perlite with lime sprinkled. How do those proportions sound.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Started expanding the garden today. Took up the sod off about another 300 sq ft, tilling in compost and soil conditioner tomorrow. Heat really snuck up on us here in NC, I'm still a little nauseous from over exertion digging in that damned clay. Wheeeee.

On the positive side, all of my peppers are growing their 4th leaves, including the bhut jolokia. Can't wait for some rear end in a top hat searing sauces!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Richard Noggin posted:

Peas are susceptible to fusarium wilt. Did the lower leaves turn yellow, then curl down?

No, it literally just went from looking like a pea-shoot to looking like a piece of 3 day old salad in the space of a day. And then I think it disappeared. There is a chance that the soil was contaminated with either some kind of herbicide or tiny slugs though.

My mum uses weedkiller in the garden and it drives me loving mad. She mixes it in watering cans and then draws on them with sharpie so I know which one she's used, but it leaves me without a watering can :argh:

The weather has been so awful here as well. Winter did a 180 and came back to bite us in the arse, so now my parents have a bunch of unhappy looking seedlings on a tray on their windowsill, and a wooden deck that's been 4/5ths scrubbed clean. I'm going away for 20 days on the 7th so if the weather doesn't clean up I'm not going to get paid for doing their stupid deck and all my seedlings will die.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Hello!

I have some weird discoloration on my tomato leaves. The label reads 'Juliet Tomato - Roma Grape' and some of the plants are showing beige-light brown discoloration between veins on the upper surface of the leaf. The discoloration is uniform in color with no obvious necrosis or other distinction on the edge of the affected area, and veins that run through discolored patches seem to be unaffected. Corresponding areas on the underside of the leaf are very slightly discolored and are slightly shinier than unaffected areas.

Pictures:

Upper surface of leaf
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2NDy1pLjjrkhZoou0J-lug?feat=directlink

Underside of leaf
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Gpk6ELx2oHumFhvcyJRUDQ?feat=directlink

The dark patches near the tip of the leaf on the underside are simply where light is shining through the leaf, there isn't much discoloration on the underside. I've tried googling for tomato diseases and found some decent sites, but nothing seems to really match what I'm seeing. The plants are watered every other day, weather lately has been mostly sunny with occasional damp days, 60-75 Fahrenheit. Am I overwatering? Is there a disease? Please help me :(

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Looks like damage from vegetable leafminers, unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do to kill them outright other than applying a broad-spectrum insecticide. There's not much organically that would control them, since they burrow between the surfaces of the leaves foliar sprays won't touch them. Best bet would be to try to control them by removing and destroying any obviously affected leaves, and cross your fingers. (Oh, and as a side note, don't buy any more plants from whatever greenhouse you got those at, as these pests have probably infected their whole greenhouse).

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Marchegiana posted:

Looks like damage from vegetable leafminers, unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do to kill them outright other than applying a broad-spectrum insecticide. There's not much organically that would control them, since they burrow between the surfaces of the leaves foliar sprays won't touch them. Best bet would be to try to control them by removing and destroying any obviously affected leaves, and cross your fingers. (Oh, and as a side note, don't buy any more plants from whatever greenhouse you got those at, as these pests have probably infected their whole greenhouse).

Ffffffffff. Is this likely to completely screw over the plant?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

madlilnerd posted:

No, it literally just went from looking like a pea-shoot to looking like a piece of 3 day old salad in the space of a day. And then I think it disappeared. There is a chance that the soil was contaminated with either some kind of herbicide or tiny slugs though.
I tried to do bean seedlings and lavender seedlings in soil that I had taken from my back garden, and the roly poly bugs in the soil ate ALL of them. I was so confused because the seedlings were disappearing or lying on their sides dead, then one day I saw one moving and discovered a roly poly munching on it like a miniature beaver. :argh:

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

moana posted:

I tried to do bean seedlings and lavender seedlings in soil that I had taken from my back garden, and the roly poly bugs in the soil ate ALL of them. I was so confused because the seedlings were disappearing or lying on their sides dead, then one day I saw one moving and discovered a roly poly munching on it like a miniature beaver. :argh:

Everything I've read says that when you do your seed growing purchase potting soil so you can prevent weeds, insects and parasites that are outside.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

PopeCrunch posted:

Ffffffffff. Is this likely to completely screw over the plant?

It's hard to say, depends on how severe the infestation is and how lucky you get. If you're vigilant in picking off the affected foliage the plant could bounce back, but it could also affect the eventual fruit yield as well. If that sounds like a lot of work/too much of a gamble, then it's early enough in the season to just scrap those plants and buy new ones.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Yay! The first of my mesclun and microgreens are starting to sprout! (pictures linked and posted on myfolia) I grew something, haha!

I've also managed to not kill any of the rest of it yet, it's all looking pretty happy so far, so woohoo!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

HClChicken posted:

Everything I've read says that when you do your seed growing purchase potting soil so you can prevent weeds, insects and parasites that are outside.
Yes I know but I am laaaaaaaazy plus how else am I going to get rid of my bean seeds, I don't want to eat green beans every day like I did last year :v:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Marchegiana posted:

It's hard to say, depends on how severe the infestation is and how lucky you get. If you're vigilant in picking off the affected foliage the plant could bounce back, but it could also affect the eventual fruit yield as well. If that sounds like a lot of work/too much of a gamble, then it's early enough in the season to just scrap those plants and buy new ones.

Hrm. It hasn't spread to all the plants yet, so I'll keep the affected leaves picked off and set those plants away from the others. Googling around wound up with a suggestion that neem oil can interrupt the lifecycle of the parasite and possibly repels future infection, so I will experiment with that and report back on the results.

Edit: All my tomato plants are affected. gently caress

nobody buy anything from the lowe's in yorktown, VA

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 4, 2010

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

mischief posted:

Started expanding the garden today. Took up the sod off about another 300 sq ft, tilling in compost and soil conditioner tomorrow. Heat really snuck up on us here in NC, I'm still a little nauseous from over exertion digging in that damned clay. Wheeeee.

The weather here is great, isn't it? I was able to get my herb garden and my "bird garden" tilled yesterday. I did end up buying a tiller. I went with this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_167652-6548...?Ntk=i_products$Ntt=tiller and it chewed the poo poo out of the clay. I was so pleased. It took a little while and I had to go over it all a couple times and then mix good dirt into it, but now I have usable gardens!

I went to the Raleigh farmer's market this morning and picked out my herbs, another fig tree, and an apple tree. I'm probably going to have to go back next week to get a second apple tree. My herb garden is bigger than I really thought. I still have space for about 10 more varieties. I'm trying to go with as many perennials as I can and any annuals are things I will most absolutely use (like basil and parsley) I also have a separate mint garden I started late last year and I'm happy it survived the winter. Its totally separated from any other piece of land in hopes it won't spread out of the area.

I still haven't had a chance to put together our new vegetable bed so for now my cabbage and onions are still in large pots on my deck. The problem is we have to build a fence first to keep our drat dogs out of the vegetables this year. :argh:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have never seen a 29cc four cycle engine before. That's awesome that it was able to handle your clay.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Alterian posted:

(like basil and parsley) I also have a separate mint garden I started late last year and I'm happy it survived the winter. Its totally separated from any other piece of land in hopes it won't spread out of the area.

FYI basil grows like a weed. Good luck with keeping the mint contained!

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Any suggestions where I can get Horseradish starters in the PNW? I tried Johnny's Seeds but they require a phytosanitary certificate to ship to WA. Ritchers wants to charge $20 for s/h.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
To celebrate finally being 100% moved into my new place I bought:

two 30" planting boxes
one round planter (12" dia. maybe?)
one tomato plant (to be put in the round)
two parsley plants
one zuchinni plant
pack of lettuce seeds
pack of mesclun seeds
pack of spinach seeds
a bag o' dirt

and a bunch of hardware to fashion a way to hang those planters on the inside of my balcony and some trowels but that's sort of beside the point.

Anything else I need before I actually get dirty tomorrow? I'm going to have to run back to Lowe's to get more hardware to complete the ghetto-hanging I have to conjure up and I might make a farmer's market run (which usually has a booth with veg/herb plants).

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

HClChicken posted:

:j: I don't drive and I'm a delicate young woman who doesn't enjoy lugging 20kg of compost home 2 miles from Wilkinsons.
That and compost from my many compost heaps generally works fine. I'm happy to say it's just a bad year, although in theory it should be a good year because the harsh winter should have decimated the bug, virus and fungus population.

Once again, I'm screwing over my poor little garden by changing continent for a while. Last year on getting back I was greeted by a million leeks and a huge overgrown pumpkin, but there's so little in the ground right now that unless some drat sunshine comes out this week I'll be coming back to an empty plot at the end of April. :(

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I planted some seeds to germinate in the house.
At what size should I trim out the weaker/smaller plants.
They are about 2-3 inches above the rim of the cup (soil comes 2-3 inches below the rim).
So at 4-6 inches should I trim/uproot them soon?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Ridonkulous posted:

I planted some seeds to germinate in the house.
At what size should I trim out the weaker/smaller plants.
They are about 2-3 inches above the rim of the cup (soil comes 2-3 inches below the rim).
So at 4-6 inches should I trim/uproot them soon?

Generally you thin plants when they have 2-3 sets of true leaves (the first "leaves" that show are actually cotyledons, they don't count).

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Here is what was left of the old garden after a really rough winter for the area. My onions and carrots overwintered, to my surprise. That's them there on the left.

Current expansion efforts. Not a lot of backyard to deal with, but I'm excited.

I've got poo poo tons of tomatoes and hot peppers started, and most exciting of all for me is my 100% germination rate on the 4 bhut jolokias I started. Tomatoes are all about 2" tall now and coming along wonderfully. Now I just need to design an intelligent path layout for the drat thing. I doubt these parts will need to be tilled again once I'm done this year.

Edit: Looking at old pictures, it's amusing how fast poo poo accumulates in your backyard when you start gardening.

(The boots were a carry over from the absolute clay drenched muddy nightmare we dealt with double digging the first section. Sue me.)

mischief fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 5, 2010

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."
I'm getting a late start by a few weeks, but I'm starting my pepper (tam jalepeno, serrano, and california wonder) and tomato (a brandywine variety bred to grow in the region) plants in peat pots under grow lights.

Making the 75 mile round trip to load my grandma's rotary tiller in the back of my lovely station wagon since the pitiful amount of soil I've prepared by hand is heartbreaking, and I really don't feel like breaking my back with a spade while things start to germinate.

I've still got a lot of work to do, but hell if I don't want some wong bok, long beans, peppers, and onions to make stir fry, burgers, and steaks on our lovely houseboat to go along with piss brew beer this summer since I've got some work supervising the nearby campground this summer. :clint:

Also, anyone else into harvesting greens from the yard (young dandelion, plantain, violet blooms, etc.) for salads?

TheFuglyStik fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 5, 2010

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

My mom gave me some seed starting sponges for my bio-dome, like these, that were left over from last year. The only problem is that some have mold spots on them. Can I just soak them all in a diluted bleach solution to kill the mold and then use them safely for planting? I'd like to start my seeds soon and the sponges are out of stock online.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Windy posted:

My mom gave me some seed starting sponges for my bio-dome, like these, that were left over from last year. The only problem is that some have mold spots on them. Can I just soak them all in a diluted bleach solution to kill the mold and then use them safely for planting? I'd like to start my seeds soon and the sponges are out of stock online.

You mean follow the instructions on that page for disinfection? Yeah, I'd go with that.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

kid sinister posted:

You mean follow the instructions on that page for disinfection? Yeah, I'd go with that.

Wow, I never thought to read the page I linked :rolleyes:

Clearly it says the styrofoam block is supposed to be disinfected (and thoroughly dried) before use. The sponges are supposed to be soaked in clean water. What I wanted to know is if the same will be enough to kill off the mold on the sponges because I don't want to worry about it harming my seedlings later.

funkatron3000
Jun 17, 2005

Better Living Through Chemistry
Hey all, I just found this thread and figured I'd share. These three of my four raised beds are going to be for larger plants, the fourth is to the left of my patio and is for herbs and salad greens. Easy to reach without walking all over the yard :)

I really need to edge around the big box...

Found this little guy, he needed a hand :3:

Tomatoes just starting out a couple weeks ago: Brandywine originals and open pollinated from last year, Marvel Stripe, Green Zebra, Persimmon, Black Krim, Chianti Rose, Costoluto, and a donated Amana Orange (not pictured). Most are getting donated to friends & family.

Amana Orange about a week ago. It takes a while to hand water 70-some solo cups without making a mess.

Brown Turkey Figs

funkatron3000 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 6, 2010

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

funkatron3000 posted:

Amana Orange about a week ago. It takes a while to hand water 70-some solo cups without making a mess.

I have 48 tomato plants going right now, I’m going to give away the majority of mine too. I wonder if you could save some time by poking some holes in the bottom of your cups and if they are in a tray you could bottom water all of your plants at once.

In further news of why I don’t like to buy plants at Home Depot, I was over there last night buying some nails and decided to stroll through the garden area. They were selling bunches of onion plants, decent sized and priced to sell, but they were just there on the shelf drying up. Lots wrong with this picture. First they looked pretty banged up. Second, early April is still very early to be planting lots of stuff in New England. But the third was unconscionable. They were selling Yellow Grandex, which is an outstanding variety IN THE SOUTH! Onions are daylight sensitive and depend on the length of the day to know when to stop growing tops and start growing bulb. Anyone who buys these plants, assuming they nurse them back to health and we don’t have another Nor’easter that dumps another 5 inches of cold rain some weekend so they don’t rot will find these plants will not get any bigger but will start forming bulbs in a few weeks, and this fall they will be harvesting tough little onions the size of golf balls.

Those figs look awesome!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

kid sinister posted:

FYI basil grows like a weed. Good luck with keeping the mint contained!

I honestly really don't mind all that much. This is all in the front of our house around our flagstone patio. I just want something that looks decent with the minimum amount of effort, and can be functional! When we have fresh basil, I go through a lot of it. The mint patch is surrounded by our driveway, our flagstone patio, and a concrete walkway that goes down pretty deep. On the other side of the walkway is the rest of the herb garden. If the mint manages to get into that, oh well. If it manages to get around our driveway then my husband can just mow over it. We're not really big on having a green, pristine grass lawn anyway. We had a really bad drought here a couple years ago and it killed a lot of the grass. Some new type of grass has grown in along with a bunch of other various low growing cover. A little mint wouldn't hurt it :)

We don't put chemicals on our lawn so we can use our clippings as compost/mulch. We'd rather have the free awesome compost than a pristine lawn.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've always wanted to have a garden of my own, but I really have no idea where to start. Not to mention I'm afraid it might be too late to start one this year. :ohdear:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

It's not too late for many herbs and veggies. I started at this time last year and still had a bumper crop of peppers, tomatoes, basil and a bunch of other herbs. I put the plants in the ground a little later than I like, but it was so cold last May that it really didn't matter that nothing went in until it was almost June.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Wandering Knitter posted:

I've always wanted to have a garden of my own, but I really have no idea where to start. Not to mention I'm afraid it might be too late to start one this year. :ohdear:

The main thing holding you back right now will be prepping the spot, and that depends on the quality of your soil. For this year I would start a very small garden, you still have enough time to pull off a small plot. You wouldn't have time to start stuff from seed right now, so I would buy starter plants from a nursery instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Wandering Knitter posted:

A lot of people start with a few containers and go from there. Tomatoes, peppers, herbs and lots of flowers are very well suited for containers. You should still have plenty of time to break ground on a small salad garden. I’m from northern Vermont originally, and the traditionally people put their gardens in Memorial day, so to me April is early. Perhaps not in other parts of the country. At this point it is beyond the ideal time to start a lot of transplants, but lots of things can and should be direct seeded in the garden including lettuce, most greens, squash and pumpkins, all root vegetables, peas and beans. I think sometimes in our exuberance sometimes get too excited and start things too early and transplant things that don’t benefit from transplanting.

I don’t know where you are, but if the heat has already started big time for you, then it might be too late to plant things that benefit from cool weather like peas and spinich, in which case you will need to wait until late summer