Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Hikaki posted:

- Long battery life. She talks for hours and hours and hours everyday so decent battery life would be nice. This doesn't seem to be that big of an issue, especially with dumbphones, but it's worth noting.

And here are some constraints:

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: Active

Budget (phone/plan): $100-150. This is replacing a phone on a current contract so no need to worry about the plan.

Any ideas?

I can't speak to the battery life vs. other phones but I recently bought a Razr V3c to use on pageplus (Verizon network) and unless my research has failed I think I ended up with about the best value plan around (<40 for the phone, 30/mo--they have an unlimited option for 40/mo). Either way I would suggest looking at eBay to get a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I own a Razr v3 but thanks to work have had to carry a Blackberry Curve 8320 around the last year and a half. It's chunky and clunky and crashes way too often.

I've been looking at some of the newer smartphones like Droid, Nexus, Pre and Pixi. I was hoping that one of them would be able to sync consistently with Exchange 2003 but I've been reading nothing but complaints about painful workarounds to get any of them to behave.

I've also read that build quality on the Palm devices is pretty bad, especially the sliding keyboard on the Pre.

Exchange would be my critical app if I'm going to try to escape using this Blackberry. After that for personal choices I'd like to have navigation software but from the Palm thread it sounds like Pre and Pixi can barely run google maps without hacks to increase CPU speed.

I suspect I'm looking for something that doesn't exist.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I own a Razr v3 but thanks to work have had to carry a Blackberry Curve 8320 around the last year and a half. It's chunky and clunky and crashes way too often.

I've been looking at some of the newer smartphones like Droid, Nexus, Pre and Pixi. I was hoping that one of them would be able to sync consistently with Exchange 2003 but I've been reading nothing but complaints about painful workarounds to get any of them to behave.

I've also read that build quality on the Palm devices is pretty bad, especially the sliding keyboard on the Pre.

Exchange would be my critical app if I'm going to try to escape using this Blackberry. After that for personal choices I'd like to have navigation software but from the Palm thread it sounds like Pre and Pixi can barely run google maps without hacks to increase CPU speed.

I'm guessing you are on Verizon.

The people I have helped with Palm on Exchange have found the main problem to be that it will get push on the regular inbox fine, but other folders you need to manually update (which sucks when most Exchange people have tons of folders from what I can tell). Otherwise the Palm Pre plus on Verizon actually should be decent build wise, most problems were with early Sprint models.

For Android I would just research more. Someone just posted this question in Android apps thread, so check that out, i think most people pay slightly extra and use Touchdown or Moxy Mail. The Droid will do what you are looking for otherwise if you need it now, if not Nexus 1 and HTC Incredible are also good bets.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Dick Trauma posted:

the Plus models ATT and Verizon have worked out most of the build quality poo poo, and you get extra storage and memory as a bonus. Exchange on my Sprint Pre works great, and I even use GAO with my ISPs Google Apps account in addition to my Exchange account at work.

Yeah, Google Maps sucks pretty bad on the Pre. Its outdated, and it looks like Sprint Navigation doesn't even use Google Navigation (you think they would, since they include it in their unlim data plans). I believe they just use VZNav on Verizon for the Pre Plus. I don't know if Android phones other than the Droid get to use Google Navigation.

So yeah, based on that you might want to get a Droid or hold out for a snapdragon based (N1 if you can afford buying outright, Desire if not) android phone.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, but VZ unlimited internet is expensive ($30 for smartphones, i guess the same for feature phones).
I think I've decided to stick with Verizon but just pay my parents for unlimited texts and data on my line. I'm pretty sure that works out to ten bucks cheaper than what I'd pay with sprint, and I remember reading that I can change my contract whenever, removing or adding features. But my only concern is that I'd kind of want a smartphone, so what happens if something comes up and I can no longer afford the data plan? They shut off the phone? Do they give options for a replacement or would I pay retail/have to go back to my old crappy phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I think I've decided to stick with Verizon but just pay my parents for unlimited texts and data on my line. I'm pretty sure that works out to ten bucks cheaper than what I'd pay with sprint, and I remember reading that I can change my contract whenever, removing or adding features. But my only concern is that I'd kind of want a smartphone, so what happens if something comes up and I can no longer afford the data plan? They shut off the phone? Do they give options for a replacement or would I pay retail/have to go back to my old crappy phone?

Yeah, you can't go down on the data plan, so you either put a different nonsmartphone on it, or you could suspend your acct for a month or two (usually only pay $8-10 a month) to get your finances back together. Sprint and TMobile are really good working with you on payments, not sure about Verizon.

Scipio
May 27, 2003
Tender Warrior Poet
Country/Provider: USA / Currently on Sprint
Current contract status: 2 phones, one out of contract the other expires May 2010
Budget (phone/plan): Currently spending 129.99 for both phones + TEP on both and -22% Employee discount.

Looking for something lower than $90/month

Features I know I want:

Hard keyboard
Android (I think, mostly because I want to see if google voice can save me money)

-------

My wife and I want to shave money off of our monthly bill. Our cellphone bill also includes a modem, but my company reimburses me for that. When everything is coupled together, our cell phone bill is more expensive than any other utility, which is retarded.

I use data, but not a lot. I have 1500 minutes but my wife and I combined rarely go over 500 minutes, and most of our calling is mobile to mobile. We do send shitloads of texts, and she uses a crapton of data.

Apparently t-mobile has a 15-20% student discount, so that might be viable, but that ends up costing just about as much as what I'm paying now.

I'm tempted to run revol, but I don't think they've got an android phone with a keyboard.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Scipio posted:

Country/Provider: USA / Currently on Sprint
Current contract status: 2 phones, one out of contract the other expires May 2010
Budget (phone/plan): Currently spending 129.99 for both phones + TEP on both and -22% Employee discount.

Looking for something lower than $90/month

Features I know I want:

Hard keyboard
Android (I think, mostly because I want to see if google voice can save me money)

-------

My wife and I want to shave money off of our monthly bill. Our cellphone bill also includes a modem, but my company reimburses me for that. When everything is coupled together, our cell phone bill is more expensive than any other utility, which is retarded.

I use data, but not a lot. I have 1500 minutes but my wife and I combined rarely go over 500 minutes, and most of our calling is mobile to mobile. We do send shitloads of texts, and she uses a crapton of data.

Apparently t-mobile has a 15-20% student discount, so that might be viable, but that ends up costing just about as much as what I'm paying now.

I'm tempted to run revol, but I don't think they've got an android phone with a keyboard.

Only way i know of to get lower than that is to drop data. Sprint does not offer an option on the newer plans to have data/calling but no texting, so while GVoice is cool, it won't save you money on sprint. There also is no lesser plan than 1500 anytime minutes. So basically, for both TMobile and Sprint, what you are paying is about as low as you can go for a 2 smartphone data plan on any carrier (ATT and VZ are both usually more).

Never heard of Revol, but they look a lot like old school cricket, so I would not expect an amazing Android phone and it looks like they are just city to city, which sucks.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Anyone have any experience with a Samsung Impression? My friend is selling his for really cheap ($50), and it seems like a no-brainer to upgrade from my old rear end w810i.

I'm not going to have data on the phone, i would just like something a little nicer for texting.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

Anyone have any experience with a Samsung Impression? My friend is selling his for really cheap ($50), and it seems like a no-brainer to upgrade from my old rear end w810i.

I'm not going to have data on the phone, i would just like something a little nicer for texting.

For that price its a good buy.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
So considering my crappy dumbphone I've owned for almost 5 years now is literally falling apart, I've decided to jump on the smartphone bandwagon.

I'm in Europe (Austria, specifically) and I've got a plan I'm satisfied with and want to buy a free phone (probably from Amazon, not that it matters though), so carrier / plan specifics are not an issue.

Basically, I've narrowed the selection down to the following candidates:

HTC Desire
Motorola Milestone (Droid)
HTC EVO
Google Nexus One
HTC HD2

Now I've pretty much ruled out the HD2 what with people saying WinMo is pretty much dead these days, though if someone can give me some good arguments to get the HD2 over any of the other phones in that list I'd be happy to hear them!

As for the Android phones;
So far, the Desire seems to be the phone of choice for me right now.
It runs with Android 2.1 (though so do all the others, including the Milestone as of recently?), is in the medium price range and seems to do pretty much everything I want.

My main questions are:

What exactly does the Nexus One do that the Desire doesn't?
The Nexus One is a fair bit more expensive than the Desire, doesn't have the Sense UI (and I can use the default Android UI the Nexus one has on the Desire as it is) and I've heard conflicting reports of being forced to import one from the US if I want a free one, allthough Amazon.de appears to sell it :confused:

As for the Milestone, it seems that spec-wise it's worse than the Desire (also no Sense UI), but it is cheaper by about a hundred bucks. That said, I don't really think I will need the keyboard and I'm not a big fan of moving mechancial parts on phones (I do expect to use the phone I will buy now for at least 3 or 4 years) so that's not exactly a selling point for me either.

One thing I've noticed is that the Milestone, Nexus One and probably the Evo, once it's released, seem to be the most popular phones, so I figured it would probably be a good idea to go with those, if only for the sake of apps, mods, etc.
HTC in particular has an insane selection of Android phones, most of which seem to have faded into oblivion when compared to the Milestone and Nexus One.
I'm afraid the same might happen to the Desire.
Is this a legitimate concern? Provided the Desire runs on the same version of Android as the other phones (which is the case right now, but it might not stay that way, obviously), can't I basically use anything written for the Nexus One or Milestone on the Desire aswell?

And as for the EVO; The release is still a few months away and I'd really like to get a new phone within the next 2 weeks or so (mostly because I really need one what with my old one falling apart) and I'd generally rather not buy a first generation phone with new technology. Also it's probably gonna be quite a bit more expensive than the Desire.

Well, sorry for the long post, but I'd really appreciate your guys opinions on this :)

tl;dr:
- What advantages of the Milestone (Droid) or Nexus One over the Desire am I missing (are there even any?)
- Is it worth waiting for the EVO if I'm considering buying a Desire or N1 and want a new phone rather sooner than later?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Burning Mustache posted:

tl;dr:
- What advantages of the Milestone (Droid) or Nexus One over the Desire am I missing (are there even any?)
- Is it worth waiting for the EVO if I'm considering buying a Desire or N1 and want a new phone rather sooner than later?

I don't think you will see the HTC EVO in Europe, the phone is a Sprint exclusive in the US as a CDMA WiMax phone, so unless they make a GSM version (possible, just have not yet seen anything) you're poo poo out of luck.

N1 is very similar specks wise to the EVO, so I would just recommend that.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't think you will see the HTC EVO in Europe, the phone is a Sprint exclusive in the US as a CDMA WiMax phone, so unless they make a GSM version (possible, just have not yet seen anything) you're poo poo out of luck.

N1 is very similar specks wise to the EVO, so I would just recommend that.

Yeah, with all the hype about the EVO, I kinda overlooked the fact that it's going to be a US CDMA phone only for now :doh:

I guess that leaves me with either the N1 or the Desire. So far I'm kinda looking at the Desire because it seems to be around 200 € less than the N1 and I really haven't found anything that the N1 can do better than the Desire, other than the fact that the N1 will probably be prone to more frequent updates what with the default Android UI and that HTC might be kind of slow with regards to updating Sense. Allthough from what I gathered I could just use the default Android UI which the N1 uses with the Desire anyway; Is this correct?

dodatron
Dec 19, 2004

lambda equals h times c over E, bitches
Through work I've been given the option of:

- Motorola Milestone (Canada)
- Blackberry Curve, possibly tour.
- iPhone

We use Telus as our provide.

I need the phone for email, messaging and of course phone calls, as well as GPS (I do a lot of traveling).

What would you do in a similar situation? I like the idea of the iPhone (I own a touch and love it), but have heard that for texting/email/calling they arent anywhere near the Blackberry.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dodatron posted:

- iPhone

I need the phone for email, messaging and of course phone calls, as well as GPS (I do a lot of traveling).

What would you do in a similar situation? I like the idea of the iPhone (I own a touch and love it), but have heard that for texting/email/calling they arent anywhere near the Blackberry.

Milestone with Android all the way, get the best of both worlds.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

tl;dr:

Get the Desire. The N1 is a very nice device, but it's not worth the price premium. The Milestone has a hardware keyboard, but an awful one at that.

dodatron posted:

- iPhone

For the love of god, do not get a BlackBerry. That set aside, the iPhone and Milestone are both very good. The Milestone's keyboard is awful coming from a BlackBerry user but try to get adjusted to it. I'd get the Milestone seeing as you do have Google Maps Navigation and if you use Gmail which you should, it's very good at that too. Just remember that there are alternate keyboard input options on Android such as HTC_IME (iPhone-like keyboard) and Swype if you despise the Milestone's soft keyboard.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
I recently moved to a new apartment and I get zero reception there. Same with work. It's gotten to the point where I have to walk 2 blocks to make a phone call from either location and it's driving me crazy. (This is with an iPhone 2G which I purchased a few days after launch).

While I loathe AT&T with the fury of a thousand suns, I really, really like the iPhone platform and have a lot "invested" in it in terms of apps and workflow with my music projects. Still, the overall lack of signal is getting ridiculous and starting to affect my work and personal life when I can only make calls about 20% of the time.

So, a few questions:

1. Do newer models have better reception? Like, would a 3GS get actual bars?

2. Assuming the answer to my first question is "gently caress no," should I just tough it out and wait for the 4G sometime in June (probably)? I really don't want to do this, but then again I also don't want to buy a new phone so close to a likely revision.

3. Are there any comparable phones (such as the Nexus One) that can talk to iTunes (besides the Pre), or will I have to get an iPod for my music and stuff? I'm not opposed to this necessarily--I'm just curious what other people use for music on their non-Jesusphones.

dodatron
Dec 19, 2004

lambda equals h times c over E, bitches

Godzilla07 posted:

Get the Desire. The N1 is a very nice device, but it's not worth the price premium. The Milestone has a hardware keyboard, but an awful one at that.

For the love of god, do not get a BlackBerry. That set aside, the iPhone and Milestone are both very good. The Milestone's keyboard is awful coming from a BlackBerry user but try to get adjusted to it. I'd get the Milestone seeing as you do have Google Maps Navigation and if you use Gmail which you should, it's very good at that too. Just remember that there are alternate keyboard input options on Android such as HTC_IME (iPhone-like keyboard) and Swype if you despise the Milestone's soft keyboard.

It will be running my work email, which is not gmail, and will be used primarily for work related activities. How does it handle normal outlook style email (and that includes syncing dates etc)?

Why the massive hate on the blackberry? Im not that knowledgeable about all this, but it seems like it would be ideal for text/email/calls/bbm.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Mandals posted:

I recently moved to a new apartment and I get zero reception there. Same with work. It's gotten to the point where I have to walk 2 blocks to make a phone call from either location and it's driving me crazy. (This is with an iPhone 2G which I purchased a few days after launch).

While I loathe AT&T with the fury of a thousand suns, I really, really like the iPhone platform and have a lot "invested" in it in terms of apps and workflow with my music projects. Still, the overall lack of signal is getting ridiculous and starting to affect my work and personal life when I can only make calls about 20% of the time.

Call up the cancellation department and see if they'll give you a MicroCell for free/cheap in order to keep you as a customer.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

SamDabbers posted:

Call up the cancellation department and see if they'll give you a MicroCell for free/cheap in order to keep you as a customer.

Thats not a bad idea, but I'd need one for work, too, which makes it not ideal. I may give them a call though and complain abut my phone and see what they say. Maybe they'll give me a deal on a 3Gs or let me try one or something.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dodatron posted:

It will be running my work email, which is not gmail, and will be used primarily for work related activities. How does it handle normal outlook style email (and that includes syncing dates etc)?

Why the massive hate on the blackberry? Im not that knowledgeable about all this, but it seems like it would be ideal for text/email/calls/bbm.

You may want to look into a 3rd party outlook app (touchdown and moxier mail are popular), but android does fairly well from the reviews i see.

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood
Hello all, I was looking into getting new phone + service but I am kind of a newbie when it comes to these things, getting a phone is way more complicated than I thought.

Country/Provider: USA, currently on at&t, but looking to get off - to any other provider

Current contract status: probably about a year left? some places offer to cover the early termination fee.

Budget (phone/plan): looking to spend about 150-200/mo for 4 lines, with data plans, please let me know how feasible/impossible this is.

Features I know I want: I'm looking to get smartphone(s) with android.

I don't know how feasible any of this is within my asking price range, but I've heard of people cutting pretty sick deals, and I'm going to go to a t mobile store right now to explore my options with the nexus one!

any help is appreciated :D

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Klint posted:

Hello all, I was looking into getting new phone + service but I am kind of a newbie when it comes to these things, getting a phone is way more complicated than I thought.

Country/Provider: USA, currently on at&t, but looking to get off - to any other provider

Current contract status: probably about a year left? some places offer to cover the early termination fee.

Budget (phone/plan): looking to spend about 150-200/mo for 4 lines, with data plans, please let me know how feasible/impossible this is.

Features I know I want: I'm looking to get smartphone(s) with android.

I don't know how feasible any of this is within my asking price range, but I've heard of people cutting pretty sick deals, and I'm going to go to a t mobile store right now to explore my options with the nexus one!

any help is appreciated :D

If you can wait a little while longer, get Sprint EPRP with 4 Evos. You'll be able to get 1600 minutes, unlimited data and texts with some more goodies for all 4 lines for $135 I believe. This is what I'm doing. Google will not let you buy a subsidized N1 on a family plan, period. You would have to pay the full $529 to get the N1. Don't switch to Sprint for Android right now because the Moment and Hero are outdated, last-gen hardware.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Current contract status:expires in July - according to the website I'm eligible to upgrade but it'd require 1- or 2-year contracts for any kind of discounts.

Budget (phone/plan): Paying approx. $55 now for 450 min and unlimited Verizon/500 other text msgs. Would like to keep things under $100 a month.

Features I know I want: I have an old-rear end Motorola W385 and I'm ready to upgrade to a smartphone. I want to text, email, use google maps, facebook, twitter, all that crap. My question is do I wait my contract out through July and go get an iPhone with AT&T or upgrade to one of the Droid phones with Verizon?

The iPhone is more tempting right now mainly because Apple's interfaces seem so not-clunky and more intuitive - a friend had both phones to check them out, and while he has an Apple bias the iPhone did seem a lot simpler and fluid to use. I use iTunes for music right now, too, so that'd be nice to have. And AT&T is GSM, right? I'm planning on some traveling next year and I don't want to deal with lame intl. phone issues.

Verizon - killer phone coverage for my current phone, I wouldn't have to wait to switch plans. But are the Droids as smooth and easy as the iPhones?

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

I'm looking for a thin, sleek, stylish phone for verizon. I don't care about anything beyond making calls and texting, I just want something that isn't a bulky swiss-army-knife type of phone. Any recommendations?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kinkajou posted:

I'm looking for a thin, sleek, stylish phone for verizon. I don't care about anything beyond making calls and texting, I just want something that isn't a bulky swiss-army-knife type of phone. Any recommendations?

Its old at this point, but I have always been a fan of the Moto W755. No full keypad, but most full keypad phones require internet on Verizon now (lame).

Also, they do have that really thin nokia (music buttons on the front), and for just calling and texting that would do the trick.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of $500 give or take $50.

I would like the following:

-A large high-quality screen for watching videos and crap

-A good quality camera preferably 8MP but willing to settle for 5

-Support for a variety of audio and video formats, not just MP4 and MP3 or whatever

-Wifi and GPS

-Full HTML browser and email support

Things I'm uncertain about:

-Not sure if I need a touchscreen

-Not sure if I need a physical keyboard (slide out or something)

-What kind of OS is a good choice

Phones I've considered and like:

Sony Xperia 2, Motorola Milestone, a crapload of Samsungs (i8910, Tocco, Jet, Innov8) and LG's (GC900, Renoir, Arena).

Notably the LG's and Samsungs are priced considerably cheaper than the Sony and Motorola and the only thing they seem to lack is a physical keyboard which I'm not certain I absolutely need.

Help me goons!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

-Support for a variety of audio and video formats, not just MP4 and MP3 or whatever

-Wifi and GPS

Things I'm uncertain about :

Sony Xperia 2, Motorola Milestone, a crapload of Samsungs (i8910, Tocco, Jet, Innov8) and LG's (GC900, Renoir, Arena).

Notably the LG's and Samsungs are priced considerably cheaper than the Sony and Motorola and the only thing they seem to lack is a physical keyboard which I'm not certain I absolutely need.

Help me goons!

You live in the US? Nexus 1 so far is a good bet.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

-Wifi and GPS

Wait for the Sprint EVO 4G this June. If you must get a phone right now, get the Nexus One.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

-Wifi and GPS

Help me goons!

Do you live in the US? It doesn't really sound like you are, but wait for the HTC Evo 4G on Sprint. If you can't wait, go with the Nexus One right now.

If you're Canadian, go with the N1. It's the best device that you'll get.

Android, iPhone OS and webOS are the 3 modern OSes right now. I'd go with Android. The other phones you mentioned save the Milestone are running Symbian, Windows Mobile or some dumbphone OS that sucks. Those OSes all suck. Android is going to be the big competitor to the iPhone. Symbian's touch interface is a joke and classical WM is dead.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Do you live in the US? It doesn't really sound like you are, but wait for the HTC Evo 4G on Sprint. If you can't wait, go with the Nexus One right now.

If you're Canadian, go with the N1. It's the best device that you'll get.

Android, iPhone OS and webOS are the 3 modern OSes right now. I'd go with Android. The other phones you mentioned save the Milestone are running Symbian, Windows Mobile or some dumbphone OS that sucks. Those OSes all suck. Android is going to be the big competitor to the iPhone. Symbian's touch interface is a joke and classical WM is dead.

I'm in Canada but I'm willing to wait for the Evo 4G to become available in an unlocked form (planning to get a windmobile plan) but the question is the price, with all its awesome features it sounds like it will be priced out of my range.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

I'm in Canada but I'm willing to wait for the Evo 4G to become available in an unlocked form (planning to get a windmobile plan) but the question is the price, with all its awesome features it sounds like it will be priced out of my range.

The Evo 4G is CDMA. It won't work on Wind. If you're planning to use Wind, go for the T-Mobile US version of the Nexus One. The T-Mobile Nexus One will work on Wind 3G because they use the same bands for 3G. Don't worry about not being able to use it with Wind, it'll work fine because the N1 is an unlocked phone.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

The Evo 4G is CDMA. It won't work on Wind. If you're planning to use Wind, go for the T-Mobile US version of the Nexus One. The T-Mobile Nexus One will work on Wind 3G because they use the same bands for 3G. Don't worry about not being able to use it with Wind, it'll work fine because the N1 is an unlocked phone.

Well I'm not dead set on Wind, but they do seem to have the highest value plans at the moment.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Currently in the US on Verizon, roughly 6 months into my contract using a poo poo-rear end BlackBerry Storm (first gen) that I'm fed up with. At the time it seemed a good deal since it was free and I was overly willing to listen to reports of patches and the like, but I'm tired of the damned thing. I want a real smartphone with good web browsing and apps that also won't freak out if I forget to take out the battery to reset the damned thing.

Anyway, being that I'm stuck with Verizon and wouldn't want to switch anyway (terrible AT&T coverage in my area), I'm pretty settled on an Android phone. I'm looking to stay in the $350-400 range and though the Droid seemed a no-brainer for me, but with the Nexus One coming soon I'm wondering if I should wait and pony up a bit extra. Basically, is the Nexus One substantially better than the Droid, and if so, how? Better enough to go 1.25 times above my desired price point? And if so, is there an exact date for Verizon rollout?

edit: on a semi-related note for my own curiosity, is there any capability to sync iCal on a MacBook with Android? Does it function well enough as a media player that I'd be able to replace my iPod touch?

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 4, 2010

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nerd Watch posted:

Currently in the US on Verizon, roughly 6 months into my contract using a poo poo-rear end BlackBerry Storm (first gen) that I'm fed up with. At the time it seemed a good deal since it was free and I was overly willing to listen to reports of patches and the like, but I'm tired of the damned thing. I want a real smartphone with good web browsing and apps that also won't freak out if I forget to take out the battery to reset the damned thing.

Anyway, being that I'm stuck with Verizon and wouldn't want to switch anyway (terrible AT&T coverage in my area), I'm pretty settled on an Android phone. I'm looking to stay in the $350-400 range and though the Droid seemed a no-brainer for me, but with the Nexus One coming soon I'm wondering if I should wait and pony up a bit extra. Basically, is the Nexus One substantially better than the Droid, and if so, how? Better enough to go 1.25 times above my desired price point? And if so, is there an exact date for Verizon rollout?

edit: on a semi-related note for my own curiosity, is there any capability to sync iCal on a MacBook with Android? Does it function well enough as a media player that I'd be able to replace my iPod touch?

The Droid is a drat good phone. The keyboard is kinda mediocre on it, plus there are some very good software keyboards so you will be getting some extra bulk. The N1 isn't that much better to me.

You can do a sync with Google Calendar and then set up iCal to sync with Google Calendar. This is what I do with my BlackBerry and will be doing when I get the Evo. Desktop sync is nice, but I can't be arsed to plug my phone into the desktop every night. The stock Android music player is garbage, but there are better third-party alternatives. It won't be as nice as your iPod touch but it'll certainly be acceptable.

Casual Racist
Aug 5, 2004

Repeat after me: I am not a pleasure unit.

Current contract status: Just expired

Budget: Looking to spend under $150 for a phone.

I am paying way to much for what I use. I am looking to go prepaid. Probably T-mobile I usually send less then 50 texts a month and usually use less than 3 hours total talk time per month.

Features I know I want: I am looking for an unlocked GSM phone with a qwerty keyboard that can also play mp3s etc. I might also be interested in suggestions for phones that will work with boost mobile ( not sure its possible to get unlocked phones for them)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Country/Provider: Canada/Rogers
Contract Status: None
Budget: $300. $400 for something REALLY good.

I'm looking for a new smartphone. Something with a decent screen size (preferably touch screen, but not necessarily) and a full QWERTY keyboard. My current one is Windows Mobile and I don't really have experience with any other smartphone OSes. I read about Windows 7 Phone, is that worth waiting for?

Also, a decent camera would be a nice bonus, especially something with variable focus.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Is there a phone which just does text/calls and is not a piece of garbage and works on either Tmobile or AT&T?

Is there anything that also happens to be cheap (<$150)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Share Bear posted:

Is there a phone which just does text/calls and is not a piece of garbage and works on either Tmobile or AT&T?

Is there anything that also happens to be cheap (<$150)?

$150 with or without contract? The Gravity 2 on TMobile seems pretty solid, my g/f has the first gravity and its solid for that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T (AT&T's coverage is good here but I don't mind switching carriers)
Contract Status: None
Budget: $300-$500(if it is a really drat cool phone, although I'd rather not spend that much), $50-$75 per month. In principle I don't like a contract, but I'm not the type of person who needs to constantly upgrade to the latest and greatest, so I think I could buy myself something really nice now and just live with it for 2 years under contract.

I have an ancient rear end dinosaur phone. I'm tired of everyone showing me all this cool poo poo they do with their smartphones while I sit here with my piece of poo poo. I'm a rather low volume user at ~75 texts and 1-2 hours of talktime per month, but AT&T's pay as you go plan has a $1 daily access fee which is absolutely raping me since I got my new job that made my phone usage become much more consistent on a day to day basis. I'm getting dinged for $40-$50 a month or so, which could easily spike to 75/month if I don't watch out. I know they have an unlimited call/text plan for 60/month but given my usage rate I'd rather have a lighter usage plan + a data plan for other features that I want. I'd also like to send more texts than I do but I trim out some of the bullshit just to save money since it's pay per text.

Features I know I want: GPS - I'm having to do a bit of traveling here and there, and I am directionally retarded. I was already thinking of buying a dedicated GPS device, but if I could do it with my phone and kill 2 birds with one stone, preferably without paying out the rear end for a GPS app, great. Better GPS is a huge plus, I can't find my way out of a paper bag. I definitely want wifi, non-lovely web browsing, decent music playback (my ipod is an old rear end 1st gen brick too so I could stand to get a better mp3 player), and as big of a screen as possible. I'd also like a decent camera, video would be a bonus but I could live without.

Stuff I'm not sure about : Keyboard - I have large hands, I don't know if I want a hardware or software keyboard, and since my phone is ancient I don't know how any even remotely modern smartphone keyboard feels. It must be QWERTY in any case though. Touchscreen - I'm not sure about this either. Touchscreens seem nifty but I'm not sure if I care. Exchange support - I'd like to be able to read my work email, but does that mean I have to pay for a corporate data plan? This phone is mainly for personal use and my employer has nothing to do with it.

The iphone 3GS, Nexus One, and Droid have all caught my eye but I don't know how to really decide. A friend of mine told me I should get a blackberry because "blackberry users can text each other for free" (is that bullshit?) Even if that's true I don't text him enough for that to even matter, plus it looks like blackberries have smaller screens, and I want a bigger screen. I never buy myself anything nice so I figure this could be a nice present, but sifting through all the bullshit and trying to avoid paying too much monthly for what I use is confusing.