Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Looks like the STI went to the full-leather interior that the WRX Limited got, no more alcantara. It also looks like a sunroof is available on the STI now.

So then, will there be a WRX, WRX premium, WRX limited, STI (equivalent to today's decontented STI limited) and then an STI limited (equivalent to the WRX limited?)

If the only difference between a WRX ltd five door and STI five door is the transmission, suspension and ~30 hp I can't imagine it'd be that much of a price difference...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

warwick5s posted:

Looks like the STI went to the full-leather interior that the WRX Limited got, no more alcantara. It also looks like a sunroof is available on the STI now.
I believe the leather is only on the STI limited

http://media.subaru.com/file.php/1340/2011+WRX+STI+AAG+FINAL.doc

quote:

Limited (4-door only) adds:
- 18-inch BBS alloy wheels
- Fog Lights
- Power Moonroof
- Upholstery: Leather-Trimmed

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
Now that I'm thinking about it, what is the difference between an sunroof and a moonroof?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

Lowered and even stiffer spring rates. Doesn't that mean more work for rally guys who're doing production class to set the cars back appropriately for rally?

No, it wont be. But I suspect there's a few rally guys thinking STI sedan again rather than fat shitbox EVO or ridiculous hatch

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Barn Owl posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, what is the difference between an sunroof and a moonroof?
I think they're really the same thing, just called different things by different manufacturers.

Some people think that moonroof only tilts up, while a sunroof tilts up and opens (or maybe vice versa, I forget), but I remember looking it up once and found some manufacturers that advertise the opposite.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

syphon posted:

I think they're really the same thing, just called different things by different manufacturers.

Some people think that moonroof only tilts up, while a sunroof tilts up and opens (or maybe vice versa, I forget), but I remember looking it up once and found some manufacturers that advertise the opposite.

Vice Versa. Every car ive encountered with a sun roof only had it tilt up. The moonroof would open all the way. I sorta miss mine, but I can't really see the point of getting an STI with one since it adds so much weight to the top half of the car.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I thought a moonroof is clear glass and thus can allow light in without opening it (but it has that airplane-window-type slider as well)

wikipedia posted:

Sunroofs, by historical definition are opaque and slide open to allow sunshine and fresh air into the passenger compartment. Today, most factory sliding sunroof options feature a glass panel and are sometimes marketed as moonroofs, a term introduced in 1973 by John Atkinson, a marketing manager at Ford for the Lincoln Continental Mark IV. For the first year, Ford sent out its Mark IVs to American Sunroof Company for offline installation.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Spider Crusoe posted:

How difficult is it to change the parking light bulb on the drivers side of a 2007 Impreza? I'm trying to reach the socket and twist it out, but the windhshield washer tank gets in the way of my hands. Will I need to start removing things to get at it?

I haven't done the corner light but I have done the headlight. First I'd check the manual, but for the headlight you can move the washer tank out of the way by popping out the black trim clip (looks like it has a phillips screw head).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Hog Obituary posted:

I believe the leather is only on the STI limited

http://media.subaru.com/file.php/1340/2011+WRX+STI+AAG+FINAL.doc

Weird. So...STI with normal cloth upholstery then?

There are definitely shots of the five door with sunroof...

(Sorry for the dumb questions but there's not a whole lot more exciting going on with the STI than the four door option.)

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

warwick5s posted:

Weird. So...STI with normal cloth upholstery then?

There are definitely shots of the five door with sunroof...

Yeah, I dunno, it might just be a mistake in the document.

flu1d
Oct 6, 2003
If anyone has an 07 STi clock spring they are looking to sell I would love to buy it from you :(

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Just picked up a '10 Legacy 2.5GT Limited in Azurite blue today. Love it, little more sedate than my MS3 but feels just as wonderful as far as handling goes. Body roll is excessive, but it just feels so good driving it. Can't wait to get out of the break-in period because the boxer sounds phenomenal. Manual is nice, though the 3rd gear feels a little close to 1st coming from the previous mantran. Bluetooth works great. Only complaint has to be lack of HIDzzzzzzzzzz.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
yea!!!

Click here for the full 1936x1288 image.

Click here for the full 1770x1004 image.

Click here for the full 1814x692 image.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Looks good :)

By the way, can the Outback be lowered to be more like a Legacy wagon? Are there STI parts? The new Outback just seems a little too high. I like the sedan a lot.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Last night on the way home from work my 2010 Impreza 2.5i developed a nasty scraping noise from the right-rear while making almost any left hand turns and going over small bumps. I have Rally Armor flaps and I'm used to a bit of scraping on big bumps and fast turns bit this is something different.

I poked around with a flashlight and noticed that the rubber wheel well liner is bulging out in one spot and I'm pretty sure the tire is hitting it. A simple "fix" would be to cut a slice at the peak of the bulge to make it flatten out but since the car is only 2 months old I should probably just let the dealer handle it :P

/edit I looked closer tonight and I actually believe my Rally Armor mud flaps are to blame :P The dealer installed them for me and I guess the hardware that came with mine is different than in the rally armor install video because the inside of both rear flaps sticks out further towards the tire in the wheel well on both sides and the tire rubs right on one screw head on both sides while cornering. Should be easy to modify to fix it. I did just put the summer wheels and tires on the day before too which would explain why I didn't notice it earlier.

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 4, 2010

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

Im looking for a cheaper, reliable more utilitarian ride.

Im considering this puppy.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...05&aff=national

Is there anything I should know about this particular model? Also, hows the price on it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Arwox posted:

Is there anything I should know about this particular model? Also, hows the price on it?
Price seems very high for the mileage: for starters, you have the automatic, which is (as far as I can see) not as valuable as the manual transmission. Make sure the head gaskets have been done, as well as the timing belt/tensioner/etc.

e: One weird thing is that according to the carfax, it appears to have been moved from one dealership to another, probably in an auction. I'd be curious at why the first dealership felt they couldn't move this car when it went up for sale there.

http://www.subaruheadgasket.com/vehicleyear.htm

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 4, 2010

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

When you say 'gaskets have been done' you mean just adding the coolant conditioner?

Good eye on the dealer move, ill inquire about it.

How much do you think its worth?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
No, he means the head gaskets should have been replaced, probably along with the timing belt too (the head gaskets are the gaskets between the heads and the block of the engine itself). Subarus are notorious for blowing head gaskets when they get into high miles, although by '02 they'd mostly solved that problem.

EDIT: I read closer, especially with the context of that link. I'd still prefer to buy one with replaced HG's, but I guess if they used the conditioner properly, it could still be good to go. I had a '98 Legacy I had to replace the HG's on, and it's pricey. :( No fancy coolant conditioner for the phase1 ej25!

syphon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 4, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
coolant conditioner is worthless radiator stop leak. I refuse to use it on anything.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I like to condition my coolant by replacing it with good coolant.

scradley
Aug 18, 2005

Is there any decent WRX forums that have useful information? Besides SA of course. I just got my 06 a few months back but I don't know what to do to it to make it more fun. Seems like NASIOC is all about slapping on big turbos on it and taking it to the drag strip and see how fast they can grenade a 5MT, kinda makes me paranoid about owning a subaru, they always jabber about cracked ringlands, blown headgaskets and rod knock.(speaking of which just got a new 5MT under warranty) Im thinking of doing some cheap suspension upgrades.

also gently caress my life for buying a black subaru, 2006 and the paint is already seen better days. The front bumper, hood and driver side has a massive amount of rock chips.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

scradley posted:

Is there any decent WRX forums that have useful information? Besides SA of course. I just got my 06 a few months back but I don't know what to do to it to make it more fun. Seems like NASIOC is all about slapping on big turbos on it and taking it to the drag strip and see how fast they can grenade a 5MT, kinda makes me paranoid about owning a subaru, they always jabber about cracked ringlands, blown headgaskets and rod knock.(speaking of which just got a new 5MT under warranty) Im thinking of doing some cheap suspension upgrades.

also gently caress my life for buying a black subaru, 2006 and the paint is already seen better days. The front bumper, hood and driver side has a massive amount of rock chips.

NASIOC is an utter shithole without any redeeming worth. Try scoobymods, last I looked it was pretty good.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

The USDM car looks significantly different from the car the rest of the world gets, and while it still isn't a looker like the BL, everyone else's Legacy is significantly better looking than our lumpen, bloated mess. SOA has proven they can take criticism, adapt and make it work, now put it to use in the Legacy.

Woah, wait what? First you want them to give you engines that don't require head gasket replacement as a regular maintenence item and now you want them to give you the same car as everyone else? Slow down boy, they'll get there in their own time...

(Seriously though does SOA ignore the legacy on purpose or just out of spite or something?)

While I'm not a huge fan of the new design over the old ones it made a lot more sense to me when most of the ones I saw were being driven by old men. At least in the JDM the Legacy is apparently now the car for the older discerining gentleman or something. (Complete with old man De Niro doing the commercials) drat young'uns with their wretchings and their sties, drat kids need a doctor or something.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cat Terrist posted:

That's about right for a good one. There really is no such thing as a cheap decent Suby second hand in Australia. You might find one on Rexnet that has escaped being hosed with. Be warned, Rexnet is only marginally better than NASIOC for poo poo.

https://www.wrx.com.au should be the Victorian WRX club and should have a good classified.

JBark posted:

There's also the https://www.ozfoz.com/forum for Foresters, though I haven't been reading it long enough to see if its decent or not.

And yeah, good luck o24h finding a reasonably priced Forester here in Oz. I thought about the GT when I was looking for mine, but frankly they're all modded and beat to poo poo, and people ask way too much for them. Went with an 03 XS instead, couldn't be happier. Much nicer all around vehicle, and the XS gives those little perks I was missing with our beater car. And really, the NA 2.5L isn't a bad engine, HP wise it's only about 25 less than the GT (though the torque is quite a bit less). I thought it would be terrible compared to my 9-2x Aero, but it's not bad at all.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about my slow response, I haven't checked this thread for a while.

As much as I want a Forester, 14k for a 10+ year old car is just too much. I'll keep saving for a newer one and keep riding my bike in the meantime.

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

So I took that 2002 impreza wagon out for a test drive and loved it.

Only two things were notable. The gear selector (automatic) would groan whenever I would go from park to drive or anything. The transmission was fine while I drove along, it wouldn't get hung up anywhere, it was just noisy.

Also from under the hood I could hear a noticeable 'tinging' sound when accelerating from low revs (it also had a low idle about 600). It would only happen from 800 to about 1200 rpm, then go away completely.

To my untrained ears these didn't sound too terrible, but I have no clue what I'm listening for.

Any red flags popping up?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Arwox posted:

So I took that 2002 impreza wagon out for a test drive and loved it.

Only two things were notable. The gear selector (automatic) would groan whenever I would go from park to drive or anything. The transmission was fine while I drove along, it wouldn't get hung up anywhere, it was just noisy.

Also from under the hood I could hear a noticeable 'tinging' sound when accelerating from low revs (it also had a low idle about 600). It would only happen from 800 to about 1200 rpm, then go away completely.

To my untrained ears these didn't sound too terrible, but I have no clue what I'm listening for.

Any red flags popping up?

Does it sound like any red flags are popping up to you?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
My OpenPort 2 got here today and I dont even have time to play with it.
Will update with my misadventures.

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

TurboLuvah posted:

Does it sound like any red flags are popping up to you?

Hey thanks for an answer to the question I asked, it was filled with content and information I found very helpful.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Arwox posted:

Hey thanks for an answer to the question I asked, it was filled with content and information I found very helpful.

Sorry to be a dick, I guess it was a little, uh, blunt there. You really only asked if there were any RED FLAGS, these are all red flags that someone who knows nothing about cars should avoid, you didn't ask really what the causes are. That, or get someone more mechanically inclined to look at the car.

The "tinging," sounds like pre-detonation, commonly referred to as pinging. Could be something as simple as worn plugs or hosed wires, or the ignition timing could be off in extreme cases (rare). Could also be low grade/bad gas, or poo poo loads of carbon build up in the combustion chamber. Could also be something weird like the timing belt tensioner as well.

Groaning tranny when put in gear could be who knows what, low/poo poo fluid, something is up with the center diff (not positive if the auto trannys have center diffs like the 5MT or if it's a different design). poo poo shifter linkage maybe?

When you're looking at buying a used car from a third party, and you don't know much or anything about cars, it's usually wise to bring it to a reputable mechanic, or in this cars a Subaru dealer, to give it a once over and try to catch any potential problems. Buy a car with a groaning tranny because it doesn't sound that bad, and then 2000 miles later it grenades while on a long trip and you're out ~$2k. Or use said problems to negotiate a much lower price and then have it repaired if it's necessary.

If you don't want to have it checked out, or have any car friends, it's usually wise to stay away from any car with any "red flags," totally. See if the seller has any maintenance history.

Edit: also, watch the mileage, the timing belt is due at 105k on these cars, and an 02 will probably be fairly close to this mileage by now.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 8, 2010

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

Yea, I was just curious if any of those things were Subaru specific symptoms that either indicated a serious problem or are just Subaru quirks that happen at a certain age and its no big deal.

I've just heard Subarus as a rule are noisier than most other cars so I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the reply. (No sarcasm this time.)

Arwox fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 8, 2010

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

My clutch started slipping today. I'm pretty sure it's my fault, but god drat that didn't take long. :smith:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arwox posted:

I've just heard Subarus as a rule are noisier than most other cars so I wasn't sure.

From what I gather usually the noisiness comes from the engine usually, shouldn't be coming from the transmission as such. (I personally have never noticed extra noise all that much, and I've been test-driving Imprezas like a fiend)

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Shock of shocks, I've got a bad throwout bearing on my '05 LGT at 63K miles. My mechanic, who I trust, says that while he's in there, it's worth it to just go in and replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel since I'd just have to pay that much again when the clutch goes. He knows I wouldn't be purchasing the parts from the dealership - I never do, it's way too expensive - so I can't imagine this is an attempt to get more money out of me. I don't want to wait on this in any case, since bad throwout bearings have grenaded several transmissions in these cars.

I've had the car since 24K miles. I found out when I had an exhaust leak that the PO had modded the car and likely put a lot more power through it than I am right now (I'm at Cobb's "Stage 1"). The clutch hasn't ever slipped, but it's been making more noise lately, and I don't know if it's just the TO bearing. I can afford to replace the clutch kit now, and would prefer not to shell out for the labor to do it again in the future, so I'm leaning that way.

As far as clutch options go, the OEM unit in the '05-'06 LGT uses a dual mass flywheel. The clutch setup in the '07-'09 LGT, which is identical to that in the '06-'07 WRX, uses a single mass flywheel, and it's a direct replacement. The single-mass setup is significantly less expensive than the dual mass, so I'm leaning that way. Anyone have any feedback as far as pedal feel and other advantages/disadvantages of single mass vs. dual mass setups? '07-'09 LGT owners, how do you like your pedal feel?

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 9, 2010

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
I really like the look of the imprezas and wrx's, but I need a car that can carry stuff. To be specific, windsurfing board and other gear on the roof. Are roof racks something that can be added, or is it a factory install?

I probably shouldn't be basing my decision on roof racks, but still, I find them really useful. The forrester would probably be more along what I want out of the car but I'm not a big fan of the way they look. I could settle for an outback sport, but I haven't seen any near me that are worth it. Around what sort of mileage do subarus start breaking down rapidly? I'd only be driving the car half the year, mostly on road trips and daily trips around town, but I'd like it to last. I'm trying to stay under $13k US.

For reference, I'm looking at something like these:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ctd/1683973018.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/1683370519.html

Are these worth looking into further? Thanks!

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Fish Shalami posted:

I really like the look of the imprezas and wrx's, but I need a car that can carry stuff. To be specific, windsurfing board and other gear on the roof. Are roof racks something that can be added, or is it a factory install?

I probably shouldn't be basing my decision on roof racks, but still, I find them really useful. The forrester would probably be more along what I want out of the car but I'm not a big fan of the way they look. I could settle for an outback sport, but I haven't seen any near me that are worth it. Around what sort of mileage do subarus start breaking down rapidly? I'd only be driving the car half the year, mostly on road trips and daily trips around town, but I'd like it to last. I'm trying to stay under $13k US.

Some subarus come with factor roofracks, but aftermarket racks are easy to find and have installed/install yourself. Most outdoors or bike shops carry aftermarket ones and may be able to give you a hand. About the only difference between an Impreza 5-door and Outback Sport is an extra inch of clearance and the roof rack. Oh, and the two-tone paint of course and that they are difficult to find.

There is a list of items that should be replaced by now in Scoobies from early in the decade, most notably head gaskets, belts, and some other things I'm sure I've forgotten others have way more knowledge about since I only joined the Subaru club in 07.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Bud Manstrong posted:

clutch stuff

definitely ditch the dual mass and get a single piece flywheel. if anything the clutch should feel better and I think i've heard of the dual-mass thing falling apart.

If the car's going to be making more power than stock anytime soon you may want to look into an act heavy duty pressure plate.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

Bud Manstrong posted:

As far as clutch options go, the OEM unit in the '05-'06 LGT uses a dual mass flywheel. The clutch setup in the '07-'09 LGT, which is identical to that in the '06-'07 WRX, uses a single mass flywheel, and it's a direct replacement. The single-mass setup is significantly less expensive than the dual mass, so I'm leaning that way. Anyone have any feedback as far as pedal feel and other advantages/disadvantages of single mass vs. dual mass setups? '07-'09 LGT owners, how do you like your pedal feel?

The clutch on my '05 LGT went and I had it replaced with an ACT SB5-HDMM clutch and '06 OEM WRX flywheel.

The clutch had a crazy small engagement point right after it was installed but it eventually went back closer to stock. I don't even notice it now, probably 25% because I've gotten use to it and 75% because I think it changed. As for the flywheel.. I guess dual mass is supposed to be more 'luxury' but the single mass feels fine. A bit less forgiving but I like the feel. Go for it, seriously, it's a no brainier.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fish Shalami posted:

My 06 WRX wagon has a Thule roof rack on it right now. I need to figure out how to remove it, since the previous owner installed it and didn't bother giving me the key for it.

I think any Subaru should be able to carry a roof rack, certainly anything on the Impreza platform.

As for your choices, I've got this to say:
  • the 2002 sedan: Looks nice, is probably nice, make sure the head gasket has been done. IIRC, 2002 was the first year of the 2.5L engines and they had a batch of bad head gaskets which lead to cooling problems and general nastiness. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, check out the Subaru Head Gasket site. If the head gaskets haven't been done, you should definitely have them looked at and replaced.
  • the 2002 WRX wagon: These are phenomenal cars with no real chronic issues that you should look out for (other than a weak transmission). If the mileage in the ad linked from the craigslist ad is accurate, 64000 miles is just after the second major service (oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, brake inspection) so you should check any service records to ensure that has been done.
I'd look into both of those cars, but just make sure you do your homework. There's a lot of stupid modifications that can be done to a WRX. Check out this relatively alarmist forum post for information on how to detect bad modifications.

If you're looking for a Subaru that is just staggeringly cheap to own and run, you may want to consider a late 90s Impreza wagon with the 2.2L engine. They are rock solid, cost almost nothing to insure and are still easy to work on.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Thanks, guys.

Since it's going to come off anyway, I was considering having some exhaust work done. Mechanic told me that if he finds a downpipe and/or catback in the car, he'll pop them on for free since they've got to come back anyway. That's great, but my worry is that I'm running a catted up-pipe (stock '05) right now. Obviously he's not going to throw the labor in for the up-pipe, since that's a completely different animal. I'm gun shy about putting in a downpipe and upping the boost with the Accessport since I've heard horror stories about the upstream cat shredding under boost and destroying the turbo.

The prevailing advice seems to be "don't go Cobb stage 2 without a catless up-pipe," but then again, the maps on the Cobb site are specifically designed for a 2005 LGT that's otherwise stock with just a downpipe and maybe a catback.

Any thoughts? Would I be an idiot to go to Stage 2 with the catted up-pipe still in the car?