Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I just bought and started Against a Dark Background by Iain M Banks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spabz
Dec 28, 2007

Just began three books today (all of them are e-books):

The Oresteia: Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers & The Eumenides by Aeschylus
Nineteen Seventy-Seven by David Peace (Second part of the Red Riding Quartet)
The Complete Short Novels by Anton Chekhov

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

I just started Nick Tosches's King of the Jews, which I'd forgotten about until I saw it in paperback with a "sale" sticker on it yesterday. I like Tosches, I figure I'll like this.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD
I started "Romanticism at the End of History" by Jerome Christensen today mostly because there's a good chance I'll be studying with him real soon (and meeting him in just a few days). Same reason I've just read some stuff by Andrzej Warminski and Paul de Man, and re-read Anne Mellor's "Romanticism and Gender." It's interesting to note their different styles and how that affects their methodologies (or vice-versa, it depends on the author).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I finally got to reading The Way through Doors, and so far it is pretty drat good. It is very much like reading a dream. Really surreal, and pretty different.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Syrinxx posted:

I wound up finishing the other book I was reading while eating lunch so I started two new books today! Just bought Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, really excited to read it.

Read this about a year ago. I liked it a lot.

Today I went a little nuts at Borders buying nerd books I've put off forever.

Neverwhere, American Gods and Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman
Glamorama - B.E. Ellis
Repossession Mambo - Eric Garcia
and some little obscure book called "A Game of Thrones" by this Martin guy.

Shizmo
Feb 2, 2010

JUICED TO THE GILLS

Spoot posted:

I just finished reading Prometheus Rising by Robert Wilson.

I've actually never read Schroedinger's Cat, but I trust Goon reviews over general public ones: so spill the beans guys- is it a good read?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Last book I finished was Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower, and just recently started Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. So far it's pretty entertaining for what it is.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Facial Fracture posted:

I just started Nick Tosches's King of the Jews, which I'd forgotten about until I saw it in paperback with a "sale" sticker on it yesterday. I like Tosches, I figure I'll like this.

Thanks, I'd forgotten that I need to read that. His Dean Martin bio rocked my poo poo.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
I just finished this great, free, online novel that serves as a prequel to System Shock. Very fun sci-fi:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/shocked/

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

s a r c a s m i c :allears:
just read Schopenhauer's Studies in Pessimism and Voltaire's Candide. These two critiques of optimism were incredibly enjoyable and cathartic experiences for my mind. I've never laughed so hard while also kinda wanting to take a shotgun to the face.

Also read Kafka's Metamorphosis. It made it's point but I found it was otherwise unremarkable. To be fair (I'm told) Kafka plays around a lot with the German language and most/all of this is lost in translation to English.

I'm waiting for Emotional Awareness: Overcoming the Obstacles to Psychological Balance and Compassion. This is the result of a conversation spanning years between Paul Ekman (responsible for the science that the show Lie to Me rapes) and the Dalai Llama (joke about China raping Tibet).
This could be hit or miss depending on how intelligent Ekman proves to be I suppose. Coming with this should be my long awaited Gil Elvgren: All His Glamorous American Pin-Ups. I hope this is allowed into Australia: where art better not be sexy or you're in big trouble mate.

The Gecko
Jan 6, 2010
Today I ordered The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies, thanks to the recommendation thread, can't wait to get them and start reading. Knowing my luck, Red Seas will arrive first...

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

As I was headed home I was passing a used bookstore and their weekly special sign said "100% off one used book" so I turned around and headed there just in case it turned out to be a real deal and it was so I ended up getting book 2 of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein for free because it was April Fool's day.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
So.... you played an april fools prank on yourself? v:v:v

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So.... you played an april fools prank on yourself? v:v:v

From what the person working today said it's a one day only sale because today was April Fool's day. I'm not gonna complain because hey free book. The Frankenstein books are some of the few Dean Koontz books I like.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just kiddin :)

Those are the only ones that I bought when they came out. Sucked too, since there was something like a 8 year wait between book 2 and 3.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
It would be pretty funny if they literally meant one used book, this book, this one right here is the one that is 100% off, not any of the other ones. And it's Koontz.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Ballsworthy posted:

It would be pretty funny if they literally meant one used book, this book, this one right here is the one that is 100% off, not any of the other ones. And it's Koontz.

Nah, it was any one used book so long as that book cost less than $10. I already owned book 1 and 3 in the series so I figured that was a good time to fill the gap.

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007
Just began Soulless by Gail Carriger. Seems very cutely written; we'll see if they stylized prose gets grating after 350 pages or not. Should prove an interesting follower to Rebecca, which I just finished.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just started A Canticle for Liebowitz by Miller which is the April selection at the Goodreads SF book club. Haven't had time to do anything but install it to my Kindle but I'm looking forward to reading it since it's a classic.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 3, 2010

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Kind of on an Afghanistan kick right now, so I am halfway through Inside the Jihad: My Life with Al Qaeda by Omar Nasiri which is a pretty badass spy story so far. I also just picked up The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk. I'll start that as soon as I finish Nasiri's book, which I'd recommend.

Voronoi Potato
Apr 4, 2010
I've just begun to read Idoru by William Gibson. It's a science fiction novel about a data miner involved with investigating the potential manipulation of a celebrity through a synthetic personality which the celebrity has fallen in love with. So far it's been a delightful read, and with that I've purchased the famous Neuromancer also by William Gibson.

robomechatronsaurus
Dec 27, 2008

s a r c a s m i c :allears:

arvash posted:

I've just begun to read Idoru by William Gibson.
Slight derail, but I always liked the UK cover (when I read idoru in 2001). I remember enjoying All Tomorrows Parties etc. bit later. Definitely Gibson working through a peak that maybe ended on Pattern Recognition. I remember loving this but it was like 6 years ago so don't quote me on it. :3 Neuromancer is engaging and imo ispired as long as you read it while aware it was written in 1984!

Didn't rate Spook Country but whatever. Got the hard cover

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I loved Pattern Recognition when my father loaned it to me. He loaned me Spook Country recently so I'm hoping to get to it after I finish The Road and then World War Z which I friend loaned to me almost a year ago. Curse you grad school!

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Just started Underworld by Don DeLillo. I'm pretty excited, but this thing is huge, and I really shouldn't have started it near the end of the semester :(

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Just started The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. I'm about 50 pages in and am considering shelving it as I just read 3 dark books in a row. I'm thinking of picking up something lighter and coming back to it later. Maybe a re-read of Salems Lot.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

For my birthday I'm treating myself to a bunch of trashy historical novels, stupid comedy, and something slightly less trashy:

The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory
The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
Bite Me: A Love Story by Christopher Moore
House of God by Samuel Shem

Normally I'd leave all this for summer beach reading, but vacation's not until July and there's a ton of stuff I've wanted to read. I'm actively reading the top two now, I've finished the Moore, and I'll get to Shem probably later this week.

When all this is done, I'm starting on a couple of books about Aztec cosmology and culture.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just started Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes, which is being touted as one of the best Vietnam War novels to come along in a very long while.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started reading Codex by Lev Grossman (author of The Magicians) and it proves that Magicians wasn't a one hit wonder. It's the story of an investment banker who gets sucked into the search for a possibly mythical medieval novel which might be involved with a mysterious open source computer game.

Very interesting so far.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just got Black Hills by Dan Simmons. I like Simmons a lot but his stuff can be hit and miss for me. That said when he hits it is a homerun most of the time.

muscles like this? posted:

Started reading Codex by Lev Grossman (author of The Magicians) and it proves that Magicians wasn't a one hit wonder. It's the story of an investment banker who gets sucked into the search for a possibly mythical medieval novel which might be involved with a mysterious open source computer game.

Very interesting so far.

I really liked The Magicians (might be my favorite book I read so far this year). I might try Codex.

Earwicker posted:

Just started Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes, which is being touted as one of the best Vietnam War novels to come along in a very long while.

I love reading Vietnam War novels (my favorites are Fields of Fire and The Things They Carried). I just ordered this based on your post.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I love reading Vietnam War novels (my favorites are Fields of Fire and The Things They Carried). I just ordered this based on your post.
Have you read Meditations in Green? I haven't read all that much vietnam lit, but that one's easily my favorite.

I have a full plate at the moment, but I definitely intend to grab Matterhorn at some point.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Matterhorn is shaping up to be really great so far, but before I read it my favorite Vietnam novel was The 13th Valley by John DelVecchio. It's out of print now but well worth tracking down, IMO. Extraordinarily well written and a lot of interesting, different perspectives.

The Quiet American is a drat good novel as well though, of course, not quite the same thing!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nate fisher posted:

I just got Black Hills by Dan Simmons. I like Simmons a lot but his stuff can be hit and miss for me. That said when he hits it is a homerun most of the time.

I really liked The Magicians (might be my favorite book I read so far this year). I might try Codex.

If you loved The Magicians you'll really like at least Codex. I'm a little over half way through it and I'm really enjoying it.

Also, how is Black Hills? I really liked Drood and enjoyed The Terror (up until the end at least.)

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just bought Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. I've been dismissing the movie for years, seeing it as a bit cheesy. I hope the book will be quite different from it as I hear the social problems it discusses are quite interesting and relevent today.

Any goons read it and care to comment?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Reading both Gardens of the Moon and Metro 2033 concurrently.

When Gardens gets to be a headache, I switch to Russian post-apoc.

bobwhoops
Oct 29, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

I just bought Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. I've been dismissing the movie for years, seeing it as a bit cheesy. I hope the book will be quite different from it as I hear the social problems it discusses are quite interesting and relevent today.

I actually just started reading this today. It's my first Heinlein book. I'm only a few chapters in so far but so far I've really liked it. Apparently it's still on the reading list for several of the US's armed forces.

Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
I WHITE-KNIGHT FOR MY SOCIOPATHS! OH GOD SUH PLEASE PUT YOUR BALLS IN MY MOUTH!
Just started War As They Knew It. It's basically the history of the OSU vs. U of M rivalry and ties in with how hosed up the country was with Vietnam at the time. A couple chapters in and I'm completely hooked.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
Just started Gardens of the Moon and am hating every excrutiating second. I feel like I'm standing in Games Workship watching a bunch of little boys playing Warhammer.

I really want to read Zelazny's amber series, but I've got the omnibus and I just can't be arsed to work out how to carry it around (wheelbarrow? 4x4?). I think I'm going to have to track down the individual books. Why the gently caress didn't they make it a box set?

So I'm probably going to dump the Malazan one and read either Perdido Street Station or something by Michael Moorcock.

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever

Bedshaped posted:

I only say this about two books: I like the movie better. At least the movie is so over the top about being propaganda that it has to be taken with a healthy sense of irony. The book isn't so over the top; I think it paints an unreasonably rosy picture of war and military service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you didn't like Gardens of the Moon you probably won't like Perdido Street Station either.

As for the Amber books I think the reason was that each book by itself are pretty short so printing them each separately would have been expensive. Although why they didn't split it into it's two halves is beyond me since it has a natural breaking point in the story.

• Locked thread