Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
disabling ACPI didn't do anything, but I did semi-fix the problem. It was some weird IRQ problem where it couldn't assign IRQs to anything in the pci slots (errors from the fxp driver in dmesg pointed this out). If I set IRQs manually in the BIOS (or basically if I did anything other than Plug-and-Play=yes, IRQs=Auto), then the system would hang during boot. It would also hang trying to boot the install CD. So I said gently caress it, put NetBSD on there, and it worked fine. So whatever, problem solved. Looks like it was just some bizarre compatibility issue that was specific to OpenBSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

w_hat posted:

I can't believe an export caused that. I'm definitely sticking with OpenSolaris now.

After extensive testing it looks like you are right. While trying to track down stability issues that ultimately I determined to be caused by using 4 2 gig DDR2 DIMMs, I also accidentally unlocked the 4th core on my Phenom II 705e, and I believe it was during these shenanigans that I hosed up the array.

Also while that 4th core was active nothing on the box worked quite right :downs:

So the box is great now, albeit with 4 gigs of RAM instead of 8, and FreeBSD/ZFS is awesome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FreeBSD 7.3 RC is out:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-February/055146.html

NetBSD 5.0.2 is out:

http://www.netbsd.org/releases/formal-5/NetBSD-5.0.2.html

Nothing new going on with OpenBSD. I installed it on a 266MHz a few weeks back, it installed very quickly and runs great. It took hours to shoehorn even the most basic installs of _other_unix_like_os onto it.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

The first version of FreeBSD HAST is complete. What is HAST? HAST is Highly Available Storage.

quote:

HAST allows to transparently store data on two physically separated machines
connected over the TCP/IP network. HAST works in Primary-Secondary
(Master-Backup, Master-Slave) configuration, which means that only one of the
cluster nodes can be active at any given time. Only Primary node is able to
handle I/O requests to HAST-managed devices. Currently HAST is limited to two
cluster nodes in total.

HAST operates on block level - it provides disk-like devices in /dev/hast/
directory for use by file systems and/or applications. Working on block level
makes it transparent for file systems and applications. There in no difference
between using HAST-provided device and raw disk, partition, etc. All of them
are just regular GEOM providers in FreeBSD.

The project announcement from October 2009: http://www.freebsdnews.net/2009/10/23/new-freebsd-foundation-project-hast/

The commit: http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=204076

More HAST details are available in the FreeBSD Wiki: http://wiki.freebsd.org/HAST

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Nothing new going on with OpenBSD. I installed it on a 266MHz a few weeks back, it installed very quickly and runs great. It took hours to shoehorn even the most basic installs of _other_unix_like_os onto it.

The OpenBSD ports tree was just locked for the 4.7 release: http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20100219165122

It's a little early this time due to an ncurses update that could affect a lot of ports. Pre-orders for 4.7 should be available in early March, and delivered early April.

The n2k10 network hackathon also just wrapped up recently. I haven't seen any reports yet on what was worked on, but it will show up on undeadly.org eventually.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

complex posted:

The first version of FreeBSD HAST is complete. What is HAST? HAST is Highly Available Storage.

The project announcement from October 2009: http://www.freebsdnews.net/2009/10/23/new-freebsd-foundation-project-hast/

The commit: http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=204076

More HAST details are available in the FreeBSD Wiki: http://wiki.freebsd.org/HAST

So it's DRBD for FreeBSD. It even has the same syntax it looks like from a glance. Is it build off of DRBD code?

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
They were livin' creatures
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
I'm having a problem with make. I want to use the POSIX default rules, which include .c.a, but they aren't being defined. I am even specifying the .POSIX special target, but when make parses /usr/share/mk/sys.mk, where .c.a exists, it doesn't define the rule. One option, that even POSIX makes note of, is to supply the POSIX rules with my makefile, but I seriously want to know why make isn't honoring the POSIX special target at that point. Should this be considered a bug?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

code:
Mem: 716M Active, 872M Inact, 839M Wired, 3472K Cache, 405M Buf, 1386M Free
Swap: 4096M Total, 12M Used, 4083M Free

PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
  950 root          1 118    0  8932K  4148K CPU1    1  58.6H 100.00% mountd
55266 root         55  44    0  1007M   595M fifoor  1  28:19  0.00% java
22893 root         20  64    0   183M   119M uwait   1  11:08  0.00% python2.6
WTF is up with mountd?

code:
hydra# uname -a
FreeBSD hydra.home.biggestpos.com 8.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p1 #0: Fri Dec 11 13:33:41 CST 2009     [email]robpayne@hydra.home.biggestpos.com[/email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HYDRA  amd64

hydra# zpool status
  pool: storage
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: scrub completed after 5h48m with 0 errors on Tue Mar 23 14:21:55 2010
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage     ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad4     ONLINE       0     0     0  99.0M repaired
            ad6     ONLINE       0     0     0  125M repaired
            ad8     ONLINE       0     0     0  48K repaired
            ad10    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad12    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad14    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad16    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad18    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad20    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad22    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

hydra# uptime
 8:52AM  up 28 days, 20:47, 2 users, load averages: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

Can I just kill it? That would probably be bad right?

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
mountd is for servicing new nfs mount requests, it can be safely restarted, and in fact probably should since it appears to have gotten itself stuck.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

jandrese posted:

mountd is for servicing new nfs mount requests, it can be safely restarted, and in fact probably should since it appears to have gotten itself stuck.

Thanks, restarted it and it appears to be consuming a normal amount of CPU time now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

7.3 is out

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.3R/announce.html

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Cross posting this in the linux thread, trying to get some opinions.

I'm getting a new thinkpad and trying to pick a distro... narrowed it down to three:

Ubuntu
CentOS
FreeBSD (yes I realize BSD != Linux but they're so similar I'm gonna lump them together anyways :colbert:)

I was hoping to get some opinions on what's the best of the three for my purposes (security geek, so FreeBSD appeals in that egard, but also busy as hell so out of the box functionality and sheer amount of documentation makes Ubuntu a strong candidate. CentOS seems like it might be a decent middle ground - enough businesses using Redhat to make it stable and have good documentation, but a bit more streamlined than say, Ubuntu.)

Thoughts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have an old T60 where pretty much everything works with FreeBSD. I wouldn't bother with CentOS on a workstation when there's Fedora.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Is PC-BSD out of the running?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I have an old T60 where pretty much everything works with FreeBSD. I wouldn't bother with CentOS on a workstation when there's Fedora.

Yeah, I've narrowed it down to either BSD or Ubuntu at this point.

On one hand, BSD seems stable and secure. Ubuntu, while it has its flaws, has one thing going for it: Community. If you've had an issue, you can bet a quick :google: will get you someone with a similar issue.

Edit: One other question: I'm locked in to my iPhone for a while, and would rather not keep my old macbook around for the sole purpose of syncing my phone. I know OSX has some virtualization software that lets you run windows apps seamlessly (they're running in a VM but show up as just another app)

Is there any virtualization software that can do this on Linux? (Preferably open source.)

Or better yet, is there any open source software that will let me sync my iPhone without a need to run iTunes in a VM?

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 5, 2010

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
can anyone quickly sum up how to install software on bsd from cli? i dread reading the bsd docs..

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Megaman posted:

can anyone quickly sum up how to install software on bsd from cli? i dread reading the bsd docs..
# make install

But no, really, what BSD flavour? Are you installing packages or from source/ports? If you don't want to read the documentation (which is, really, not that hard to slog through) you're going to have an unpleasant time at things..

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Dijkstracula posted:

# make install

But no, really, what BSD flavour? Are you installing packages or from source/ports? If you don't want to read the documentation (which is, really, not that hard to slog through) you're going to have an unpleasant time at things..

freebsd, both ports and not

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
So say you want to install firefox via ports. To do this, you go:

code:
% su
Password:
# cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
# make install clean
Note that the ports tree compiles almost everything from source, so this will take awhile, especially if it has to go and fetch a bunch of dependencies (which it will do automatically). The advantage is that you can turn on platform specific optimizations like -march=core2.

If you're not sure exactly what port you want to install you can search using make search like so:
code:
% cd /usr/ports
% make search key='web browser'
If you want slightly easier to read results, you can go:
code:
% cd /usr/ports
% make search key='web browser' | grep -v '^.-deps'
Note that you can do searches in the subdirectories too. Say you wanted to find an exif editing tool, you know it would be in the "graphics" category, so you could go:
code:
% cd /usr/ports/graphics
% make search key=exif
Pretty simple. I think there are BSD tools for finding out what's already installed, but they're unnecessary. If you want to find out what ports you have, just cd to /var/db/pkg and do an ls. Each port is a directory in there. If you want to find out what files a port installed, you can just look through them yourself. Everything is in ASCII. For instance, say you just installed w3m and want to know what files it installed. You can do this:
code:
% cd /var/db/pkg/w3m*
% less -- +CONTENTS
Now say you notice that you have a binary and want to know who installed it. You can grep through the files to find out. Lets say you want to find out what package installed /usr/local/bin/pamcomp. You would just go:
code:
% cd /var/db/pkg
% grep bin/pamcomp */+CONTENTS
Personally, as ghetto as this system seems at first, I find it a lot easier to deal with than pretty much any of the Linux package management systems. I spend so much time reading the manuals for yum, apt, etc... trying to figure out how to get a list of what files a package installed or what the dependencies were than I would have just using the unix tools on the BSD package directory.

jandrese fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 5, 2010

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

if you aim to do things even easier, install portupgrade and you can install with the simple command `portinstall asciiquarium`

it also has `portupgrade` if you aim to keep your software up to date, assuming you keep your ports tree up to date with `portsnap` or something else

for the guy asking about freebsd on a laptop, how about you install freebsd and see how it works for you ?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

jandrese posted:

Pretty simple. I think there are BSD tools for finding out what's already installed, but they're unnecessary. If you want to find out what ports you have, just cd to /var/db/pkg and do an ls. Each port is a directory in there.
While ls /var/db/pkg does work, pkg_info lists the packages with nice brief descriptions. Normally compiling from ports is best but he should be aware that pkg_add will install a precompiled port quickly. The negative part of this is that you cannot set configuration options and the binary port is likely to be slightly out of date.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
What is the difference between port and source? Isn't that the same thing?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Megaman posted:

A port doesn't have to be installed from source, but usually they are. Ports is just what the whole BSD packaging environment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Megaman posted:

A port is the source for a program, but setup to be built on FreeBSD. A package is a pre-compiled binary of that program.

You could download the source to a program and build it, but you'd have to make all kinds of changes to the configuration (and also install the files when you're done building it), ports are basically that work all done for you.

You'd almost always want to use a port/package, unless for some strange reason there wasn't one for that program (new/old program or something).

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010
I'm in the process of redoing all my home network, and the project includes a NAS and a Firewall/Router. I was thinking about using one machine for both things, running FreeNAS. How secure is that? My spider sense says it's a bad idea, but my pocket likes it very much.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

IanMalcolm posted:

I'm in the process of redoing all my home network, and the project includes a NAS and a Firewall/Router. I was thinking about using one machine for both things, running FreeNAS. How secure is that? My spider sense says it's a bad idea, but my pocket likes it very much.

Technically, it's a bad idea. Someone roots your firewall and decides to rm -rf all of your precious digital memories (you do have backups don't you?). But the risk is fairly low if you follow some basic system maintenance and security rules. Make sure the firewall is enabled and only exposing any ports you absolutely need (basically ssh and maybe http/https as long as you don't install any insecure non-chroot/non-jailed webapps). Keep your system up to date with the latest OS release and patches.

It makes plenty of sense to combine them in a home situation where 1 box is cheaper, cooler and quieter than 2, as long as you understand the risk.

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Technically, it's a bad idea. Someone roots your firewall and decides to rm -rf all of your precious digital memories (you do have backups don't you?). But the risk is fairly low if you follow some basic system maintenance and security rules. Make sure the firewall is enabled and only exposing any ports you absolutely need (basically ssh and maybe http/https as long as you don't install any insecure non-chroot/non-jailed webapps). Keep your system up to date with the latest OS release and patches.

It makes plenty of sense to combine them in a home situation where 1 box is cheaper, cooler and quieter than 2, as long as you understand the risk.

I'll be running SABnzbd+ on that box as well, but I think I can jail it, right? Ah, and MySQL, probably, since I'll need it for XBMC and some other stuff.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I use OpenBSD which mainly uses chroot for webapps, so I can't speak to jails much at all.

If you keep your OS and applications updated and follow basic security procedures then it should be fine.

A couple things, I forgot to mention about security. If you do expose SSH, disable root ssh logins. It should be default on most systems, but check to make sure. Also make sure you have strong passwords on all the accounts. Botnets are constantly doing brute force dictionary attacks on ssh servers. For a little inconvenience you can also switch the ssh port from the default to something random.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
DragonFly BSD version 2.6 is released. I need to fire up my virtual machines for all the BSDs and get them updated.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Sergeant Hobo posted:

DragonFly BSD version 2.6 is released. I need to fire up my virtual machines for all the BSDs and get them updated.

You know you don't need to cultivate live samples, right?

You can grow new ones from seed in about 60 minutes.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

porkface posted:

You know you don't need to cultivate live samples, right?

You can grow new ones from seed in about 60 minutes.

I thought you couldn't make new VMs with just VMWare Player?

EDIT: Holy Hell in a hand basket, when did they add that? I must have been on an old-rear end version of VMWare Player.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 6, 2010

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I thought you couldn't make new VMs with just VMWare Player?

EDIT: Holy Hell in a hand basket, when did they add that? I must have been on an old-rear end version of VMWare Player.

Good question. I hate the new VMWare Server with the retarded web interface and mandatory Apache install they added (what was wrong with the old 1.x interface, anyway?). Looks like I can finally dump it, though. :)

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Yeah, VMware Server 2.0 is an abomination. Who thought 500mb of Apache and Tomcat were a good idea? On a lot of machines (especially laptops) it won't even start properly, because Windows gives up on services that take too long to start and you're forced to bring up the services manager and start it manually every time.

And then the viewer plugin only works in IE and Firefox, except not Firefox 3.6. If you like Chrome, well, gently caress you.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Use VirtualBox. It doesn't suck, it's free, and they have preliminary support for FreeBSD as a host OS.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I've been thinking for a few years (about 6) of moving my FreeBSD 5.2.1 RC #14 machine to new hardware or at least upgrading everything on it to a final release version since it's got a few weird bugs. But since it's mission critical for everything I do at home I'd like to perform a full disk clone as a backup before I do anything drastic.

Is there a good way to clone a disk to an archive file on a network share? It's only about 8 GB and I don't want to take the machine down to plug in another hard drive, and it seems like some kind of dump | tar command would give me a nice archive of the root partition.

Am I doing this wrong? Is there a widely recognized way of doing this?

Instead of a network volume what about a USB hard drive?

Also, I second the recommendation for VirtualBox. The only thing it doesn't do well is auto-start guests on Windows, but there are hacks if you need that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

porkface posted:

Is there a good way to clone a disk to an archive file on a network share? It's only about 8 GB and I don't want to take the machine down to plug in another hard drive, and it seems like some kind of dump | tar command would give me a nice archive of the root partition.

Am I doing this wrong? Is there a widely recognized way of doing this?
code:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/image.img
Or you can clone it to another disk that is the same size or bigger, specify the second disk instead of /image.img

That's for linux but it should be fairly similar for FreeBSD

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

I've got a server running FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE that I've been fiddling around with. I've been slowly trying to get back to where I was with Debian. One of the things that I was hosting on my Linux server was a Counter-strike 1.6 server. I do some reading, and apparently HLDS doesn't support FreeBSD out of the box, so I install linux_base-f10 from ports, add linux_enable="YES" to my /etc/rc.conf, add linproc /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0 to my fstab. I then download the dedicated server updater, install CS and then run it, just to test it out.

My ssh connection dies. My server no longer responds to ping. It's dead.

So I submit a ticket and apparently my box had kernel panicked. Apparently, it didn't reboot automatically either, as it was asking them to press a key to reboot. They do so, and it springs back to life.

"No biggie" I figure, I'll just enable kernel crash dumps so I can have something to go on. So I modify my /etc/rc.conf and add dumpdev="AUTO" and dumpdir="/var/crash", after making sure that /var/crash exists and is chmod 700 like the handbook says. I reboot to make sure those settings are applied, then I start the server again. It panics again, so I give my hosting company a ring and ask them to reboot it again.

I check /var/crash. No dumps, just a file called minfree that's always been there.

So..uh...what now? I didn't think that just trying to run a CS server would be this difficult. I found this thread on a mailing list from someone else who has the same problem, but my mind shut off at the first mention of "Gentoo" and "My own script" as a solution. What do I do now?

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 7, 2010

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

SamDabbers posted:

Use VirtualBox. It doesn't suck, it's free, and they have preliminary support for FreeBSD as a host OS.

They must have made a lot of improvements since last time I tried it.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Did you install linux-steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Ok, so I just got a Thinkpad X201, and I'd like to run FreeBSD on it.

I changed the boot order to put USB at the top, and disabled quick boot.

I then used unetbootin to create a usb drive that I could install the OS from.

However, when I boot the laptop it just tries to go into the Windows 7 setup. I tried hitting F12 and manually specifying the USB drive, and it still just ends up at the windows setup.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm kind of getting worried... this is an issue that would effect installing any sort of alternate OS... I could live with installing Ubuntu or something instead, this was mostly a spur of the moment thing, but I need to solve this issue to install _any_ sort of non-windows OS, so I'm hoping someone has some ideas so my $1300 laptop does not end up a paperweight...

Edit: Also, I tried both the unetbootin preset for FreeBSD, as well as the .iso from their website, neither worked.

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 14, 2010

• Locked thread