Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My LYS's website isn't around anymore...since the store closed down last year.

I miss you, Yarn Calling. You and your stupid name. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Almost as bad as this LYS in NJ that won't carry Malabrigo because "she doesn't like how it feels" and "prefers to carry more unique yarn"

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
In case people are too lazy to click that, Quackmere is made of duck down and this is how it's done:

quote:

Pure Quackmere yarns tend to cost more than your average luxury fiber because of the manually intensive process required to convert the duck feathers into spinnable fiber. First, each fiber must be plucked off the feather by hand, and each feather has an average of 4,000 fibers. It takes a skilled fiber-plucker between six and seven hours to remove all the fibers from one feather; and it takes approximately 212 feathers (or 1,484 hours) to obtain enough fibers to create one skein of Quackmere Classic.

Then there's the process itself. To prevent fiber breakage, each of these fibers must be plucked when the variable humidity is no greater than 12 percent; and to prevent damage to the microscopic scales covering each fiber, the plucking must be done with tweezers made from ivory—a fact that has already raised objections from many animal rights groups.

Once plucked, each fiber is then placed between two sheets of tissue paper and allowed to rest in a quiet room for 48 hours before being individually washed, rinsed, dried, coated with a pH-neutral coloring agent, and finally fed by hand into a special spinning frame.

SWEET MUSTACHE. WHILLIKERS.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Hah, I was semi-believing that until they got to the Aflack fiber.

VV
Hey, don't feel too sheepish. It's honestly not that implausible - my store started carrying buffalo and yak yarn that retails $60 and upwards.

Drei fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 2, 2010

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Drei posted:

Hah, I was semi-believing that until they got to the Aflack fiber.

Ahaha, gently caress meeeee. :doh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

Almost as bad as this LYS in NJ that won't carry Malabrigo because "she doesn't like how it feels" and "prefers to carry more unique yarn"

What's the name of the store?

Because if it's the Knitting Gallery or Wooly Monmouth I would not be shocked at all.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Sex Hobbit posted:

Ahaha, gently caress meeeee. :doh:

Yup. The link to the samples and more info was just going to another page to say "HAH April fools!"

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Wandering Knitter posted:

What's the name of the store?

Because if it's the Knitting Gallery or Wooly Monmouth I would not be shocked at all.

Wooly Monmouth, of course :)

Edit: Knitting Gallery is the one in Colts Neck, right?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

Wooly Monmouth, of course :)

Haha, I should have known. I go in there every now and then to raid their discount bin since it always has the most crazy yarns. I don't think they have a single non-novelty yarn in that whole store.

Shnooks posted:

Edit: Knitting Gallery is the one in Colts Neck, right?

Yes, it's...okay. The old woman who owns it is a LOT nicer than the old owner (who hated my guts because I wasn't a 'Colts Neck Girl', honestly). The only problem with it now is that 50% of the store is sock yarn, 25% novelty, and the rest overpriced.

Then there's the mysterious Yarn Crafters‎ store that's near my house that I've only been in once because the old man that owned it glared at me the whole time...

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTinamorata.php

Okay, I'm afraid I screwed up already because this is the first cable chart I had to read.

--

Work 2[2, 2, 2, 6, 6, 8] rows in reverse stockinette st, ending with a WS row.

Cable Pattern:
Setup Row [RS]: P3[2, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2], place marker, work Row 1 of Cable Chart, working outlined pattern repeat 22[25, 28, 31, 35, 38, 41] times; place marker, p3[2, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2]. Note that in Row 1 of chart, every 7-st repeat is increased to 8 sts; when row is complete, there will be 190[212, 238, 262, 292, 316, 340] sts.

--

The cable chart is also VERY SMALL so I've had a hard time reading it. Going by the instructions my first cable row looked like P2, PM, *P2, KFB, P4, repeat. I have a sinking feeling upon re-reading many times that it should have been P2, PM, *K2, KFB, K4. I even had someone look at that and they told me my setup was right but I don't think it was. I have to rip out a row and a half don't I?

:ohdear:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTinamorata.php

Okay, I'm afraid I screwed up already because this is the first cable chart I had to read.

--

Work 2[2, 2, 2, 6, 6, 8] rows in reverse stockinette st, ending with a WS row.

Cable Pattern:
Setup Row [RS]: P3[2, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2], place marker, work Row 1 of Cable Chart, working outlined pattern repeat 22[25, 28, 31, 35, 38, 41] times; place marker, p3[2, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2]. Note that in Row 1 of chart, every 7-st repeat is increased to 8 sts; when row is complete, there will be 190[212, 238, 262, 292, 316, 340] sts.

--

The cable chart is also VERY SMALL so I've had a hard time reading it. Going by the instructions my first cable row looked like P2, PM, *P2, KFB, P4, repeat. I have a sinking feeling upon re-reading many times that it should have been P2, PM, *K2, KFB, K4. I even had someone look at that and they told me my setup was right but I don't think it was. I have to rip out a row and a half don't I?

:ohdear:

No, I think you were right. The whole thing is on a reverse stockinette (purl, that is) background so it makes sense that everything except the cable stitches would be purl. So [p2, kfb (that's the beginning of the cable) p4] looks right to me. Am I misunderstanding anything?

Yeah, all the gray stitches should be purls on the right side. So assuming you start on a right side row, p2 pm p2 kfb p4.

I would definitely suggest printing out the chart and blowing it up with a copier if you're having trouble. :)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
You know what, I think I'm just looking at the WS and thinking it is the RS.

The WS looks nicer at this point and it is rather confusing.

:psyduck:

I wish I had a printer though, otherwise I would have definitely enlarged it and printed it. As it is I just have to ctrl+scrollwheel and make the page bigger. So sad.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

You know what, I think I'm just looking at the WS and thinking it is the RS.

The WS looks nicer at this point and it is rather confusing.

:psyduck:

I wish I had a printer though, otherwise I would have definitely enlarged it and printed it. As it is I just have to ctrl+scrollwheel and make the page bigger. So sad.

Oh no! I'm lucky I can print and copy things at work (at least, I can on Saturdays when no one is around to see me using company paper and ink for knitting projects).

I'm sure the stockinette portion will look better for a while because we tend to think of it as "what knitting looks like" but it'll get better when you really get into it. :) I'm glad you don't have to rip.

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
Thank you, Bob. :3: Socks are coming along now! Whew.
Does anyone know of, or could link me, to some nice lace-knit patterns? Specifically over 19 stitches. I'm making a scarf from leftover cotton yarn.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've made Haruha and Branching Out and they are both lovely. Not sure how well cotton will hold the lace pattern, though.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Drei posted:

I've made Haruha and Branching Out and they are both lovely. Not sure how well cotton will hold the lace pattern, though.

Cotton blocks really well in my experience. You might want to make a very diluted starch solution, but from what I understand even that isn't necessary.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So my Dad's birthday is coming up in July, and he is one of those terrible people where it's near physically impossible to knit him a gift.

• He doesn't like hat/scarves
  • He never asks for anything or requests anything
  • He doesn't like nick-knacks or stuff that just sits around.

Last year I made him three gnomes for his birthday (it's a running gag between us) and they were simply packed away with the rest of the summer decorations. :smith:

I was thinking about making him this rocket ship but at this rate I might just get him a gift card for Dunkin Donuts. What do you guys think?

Also my yarn auction is ending today just to let you guys know

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'd say just get him a gift card for something he'd like or something else he'd appreciate. My dad and brother are both like that, and I've long since given up on knitting them stuff. I always ask prior what kind of knit thing a person I intend to give a gift would want, because it's not worth my time to knit something with nice yarn they'll never use/look at.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
What about socks? If he's someone who likes practical things warm, handmade socks can't really go amiss.

VV
I think a good quality wool/nylon blend is more hardy than a 10-pack from Walmart, plus even if the wool gets worn away it usually leaves the nylon in tact, so darning is pretty easy. If you don't want to sign yourself up for free darning services though I can understand that.

Drei fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 5, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Drei posted:

What about socks? If he's someone who likes practical things warm, handmade socks can't really go amiss.

He's a car mechanic, so he burns through socks really drat fast. It's not really practical.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
What about a pair of nice warm slippers for lounging about in the evening?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

What about a pair of nice warm slippers for lounging about in the evening?

Actually, that's a pretty good idea! Does anyone know a good pattern?

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/felted-clogs-ac-33

This pattern looks pretty wicked

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Actually, that's a pretty good idea! Does anyone know a good pattern?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/malabrigo-loafers

The black pair especially looks sufficiently manly.

(adverbs!)

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Oooh, Aardvarklet, I just got a big box full of Manos del Uruguay from the postman, C/O you!

I am so excited to decide what to do with it; I'm toying with the idea of a hexagonal afghan.

I love Goon Destashes.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Despite my bitching about knitty, I decided to try the Summit Shawl as I'll need a nice shawl for an upcoming formal event and still can't quite get excited about frou frou crap.

Aardvarklet- I'm using the Tulare. Regardless of how this particular project pans out, I love working with it.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
On the other hand, I love the frou-frou- I'm doing a Niebling doily.

Also, am I crazy to be thinking about doing a Starmore (namely, Katherine Howard)?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Molly Bloom posted:

On the other hand, I love the frou-frou- I'm doing a Niebling doily.

Also, am I crazy to be thinking about doing a Starmore (namely, Katherine Howard)?

Crazy? Yes.

Crazy awesome!

And a little bit regular crazy, maybe. :) What colors are you thinking of?

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Crazy? Yes.

Crazy awesome!

And a little bit regular crazy, maybe. :) What colors are you thinking of?

I really liked the black and gold one on Ravelry, which would tone down the difficulty quite a bit (might be able to do it stranded rather than as instarsia) and make it easier to wear. I may do a 'draft' version in a blend or acrylic first, just to see if I like it. There's nothing worse than spending a huge amount of money on something that's just not right....

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Molly Bloom posted:

I really liked the black and gold one on Ravelry, which would tone down the difficulty quite a bit (might be able to do it stranded rather than as instarsia) and make it easier to wear. I may do a 'draft' version in a blend or acrylic first, just to see if I like it. There's nothing worse than spending a huge amount of money on something that's just not right....

It's so dramatic! I like it. I don't think I'll ever be able to wear something that particular shape (I don't need any help in the hip area, thanks for the childbearing hips, Mom) but it's gorgeous.

I have never done intarsia. I get the fits with just two strands of yarn trying to do stranded, I'd probably literally murder someone if I had fifteen little balls of yarn dangling from a project.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Oooh, Aardvarklet, I just got a big box full of Manos del Uruguay from the postman, C/O you!

Ozma posted:

Aardvarklet- I'm using the Tulare. Regardless of how this particular project pans out, I love working with it.

Excellent, so glad the stuff is getting used. Please post pics when you finish!

e: Also, buy more of my yarn, people! We're trying to buy a house!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I really, really want to try my hand at lace. With lace I can still knit and wear what I make.

Any suggestions for a beginner's lace shawl? I'd say I'm an intermediate if not advanced knitter, and I do like a challenge. I made Knitty's Colonnade and it came out like crap. I used the wrong yarn or something, I don't know. It's atrocious. That's the extent of my "lace"

I was looking at this pattern but when I read the 15 page PDF I got kind of lost.

My other option would be to make socks, but bleh, socks :(

Edit: Additionally, how the hell do some of these people make these lace patterns? I'd love to learn how to make my own lace but holy poo poo. I can do colorwork charts but this is beyond me.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 8, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

I really, really want to try my hand at lace. With lace I can still knit and wear what I make.

Any suggestions for a beginner's lace shawl? I'd say I'm an intermediate if not advanced knitter, and I do like a challenge. I made Knitty's Colonnade and it came out like crap. I used the wrong yarn or something, I don't know. It's atrocious. That's the extent of my "lace"

I was looking at this pattern but when I read the 15 page PDF I got kind of lost.

My other option would be to make socks, but bleh, socks :(

You might want to try a lace scarf, first. That way you can get used to following charts without your eyes bleeding out.

e: The old Opera Scarf is a good one to start on, but I can't find the pattern anywhere.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

You might want to try a lace scarf, first. That way you can get used to following charts without your eyes bleeding out.

I've worked with colorwork charts, but yeah, these are a bit more complicated...

I originally intended to make the Cat Paw scarf but got distracted in the process. I should probably stick to that.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Has anyone here made Outside In socks (or at least looked at the pattern before)? I am stuck. :( I’ve just gotten to the gusset increases. It says that if you have a high instep (which I do), you should add extra gusset stitches by working the chart without the decreases, and then ‘adjust the afterthought heel and foot accordingly.’ Now maybe it’s just ‘cause it’s 11 pm but this just seems like a recipe for frustration to me… For starters, if I don’t do the decreases won’t the stitch pattern start getting all bunged up after a couple of rows? And what will I need to do to ‘adjust’ the heel and foot? I am anxious because every time I try to rejig numbers in a pattern on my own I screw it up somehow… but OTOH I really want the sock to go over my ankle without a fight for a change. :x

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.

Shnooks posted:

I've worked with colorwork charts, but yeah, these are a bit more complicated...

I originally intended to make the Cat Paw scarf but got distracted in the process. I should probably stick to that.

The Cat Paw scarf is a really pretty pattern. I made one as a Christmas present for a friend so I used a thicker yarn, but it still turned out really great. Plus the pattern was very easy to memorize.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Aardvarklet posted:

e: Also, buy more of my yarn, people! We're trying to buy a house!

Maybe in another week or so. I had to lie about your yarn just to get it in the door.

"Oh, I, uh, this is just something some stranger sent me for free or whatever."

:( I'm not 'sposeta be buying any more yarn until I use up the mountains I have already.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Shnooks posted:

Edit: Additionally, how the hell do some of these people make these lace patterns? I'd love to learn how to make my own lace but holy poo poo. I can do colorwork charts but this is beyond me.

The general rule for lace is that every yarnover has a corresponding decrease. That's it. It doesn't even have to be on the same row or right next to the yarnover, although it often is.

A lot of people like the Branching Out pattern from Knitty (can't remember what issue) as a beginner pattern. Oddly, I couldn't make it work but later cast on for the Fir Cone shawl as my first whole lace project and that came out fine (admittedly, it took me four years of off and on knitting to finish it).

One hint is don't use superwash wool, it doesn't block quite as well and blocking is SUPER important in lace. Lace looks like absolute crap until it's blocked.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

The general rule for lace is that every yarnover has a corresponding decrease. That's it. It doesn't even have to be on the same row or right next to the yarnover, although it often is.

It is, however, a general rule. If you're working a triangular or round piece, you'll be increasing at regular intervals. If you want to design or have a first try, I'd try a square/rectangle first. Knowing how to read your knitting helps, especially if a YO escapes.

My first lace was a six foot long feather and fan stitch scarf. With every single stitch twisted (knit through the back loop) because I didn't know any better. Yearg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Molly Bloom posted:

It is, however, a general rule. If you're working a triangular or round piece, you'll be increasing at regular intervals. If you want to design or have a first try, I'd try a square/rectangle first. Knowing how to read your knitting helps, especially if a YO escapes.

My first lace was a six foot long feather and fan stitch scarf. With every single stitch twisted (knit through the back loop) because I didn't know any better. Yearg.

Oh, yeah. Should've mentioned that!

I don't know what the hell got into my head attempting a full scale laceweight square shawl about four feet across. None of it was that hard though, really. I did mess something up once and had to tink about oh, 1200 stitches? One and a half rounds. That was uh, not...fun.

I NEVER would have been able to do it without becoming proficient in reading my knitting though. It's absolutely essential to figuring out what the hell you did wrong.

Need to get better pictures of that shawl sometime.