Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Right after getting home from work, I figured I'd have enough time to change the fork seals before bed. Nope. I got as far as driving the oil seal into one before realizing that my lovely makeshift PVC seal driver wasn't doing poo poo. gently caress. I stopped working at 10:30pm, disgusted, frustrated, and resigned to having to wait till the next evening to finish the job. Couldn't ride to work today on the first warm morning we've had since last summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Right after getting home from work, I figured I'd have enough time to change the fork seals before bed. Nope. I got as far as driving the oil seal into one before realizing that my lovely makeshift PVC seal driver wasn't doing poo poo. gently caress. I stopped working at 10:30pm, disgusted, frustrated, and resigned to having to wait till the next evening to finish the job. Couldn't ride to work today on the first warm morning we've had since last summer.

I have learned to never do work on the bike if the weather will be nice the next day. No matter how simple it may seem.

Not that I always follow my own advice... v:shobon:v

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

rode through a nasty downpour and sidewind. Going across the bridge home from work today I was getting sprayed with ocean water that was smashing up against the side. Laughing the whole way. God I love motorcycles.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Took carbs off to have a look see. Found out my needle jets and jet needles are all worn considerably, leading to the sub par fuel mileage.

Replacements will come to just under $200 :( I might compensate by raising the needle clips and changing the float level a bit, seeing if that helps.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

:)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
But the 3s don't like up exactly perfectly! :arghfist::saddowns:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Pulled my stator out. It was the warmest day of the year so far, at about 82 degrees :(

Just because I CAN push start my bike easily, doesn't mean I want to :(

Also, broke two screwdrivers trying to remove the screw that holds the WIRING in place. Havn't even stripped the screw yet, wtf!!!!

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 3, 2010

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

UserNotFound posted:

Pulled my stator out. It was the warmest day of the year so far, at about 82 degrees :(

Just because I CAN push start my bike easily, doesn't mean I want to :(

Also, broke two screwdrivers trying to remove the screw that holds the WIRING in place. Havn't even stripped the screw yet, wtf!!!!

Spray it with some WD40 and let it sit for a bit.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Kaewan posted:

Spray it with some WD40 and let it sit for a bit.

Apparently 30 minutes isn't long enough. I completely snapped the tip off my Craftsmen that fit well, and then 30 minutes of wd40 later broke a handle on a bit driver...

I don't have anything else that fits well enough not to strip it until I make a trip to the store, so it'll soak all night! 28 years to get stuck, 28 swear words uttered. so far...

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

UserNotFound posted:

Apparently 30 minutes isn't long enough. I completely snapped the tip off my Craftsmen that fit well, and then 30 minutes of wd40 later broke a handle on a bit driver...

I don't have anything else that fits well enough not to strip it until I make a trip to the store, so it'll soak all night! 28 years to get stuck, 28 swear words uttered. so far...

Try to find PB Blaster. Works waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than WD40.

Or an impact screwdriver. Those things are excellent.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrZig posted:

I have no idea how I lived without one of these. Best 40$ or so I've ever spent, jesus. Mine can accept sockets too :3:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Z3n posted:

But the 3s don't like up exactly perfectly! :arghfist::saddowns:

if my calculations are correct...

when this baby hits 33 miles per hour, you're going to see some serious poo poo

pieces flying off because its a KLR

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

MrZig posted:

The funny thing is, nothing else on my bike has ever been stuck, save the front axle, that I couldn't remove with normal hand tools (or vibrate free on the highway).

I just actually got it out with a socket wrench and a fat phillips bit.

The fun:

The carnage:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

If you have a screwdriver with a hole at the end, put something through that hole for leverage. And push as hard as you can inward on the screwdriver, or tap with a rubber mallet. And when it's out, replace it with a hexhead bolt.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Ola posted:

If you have a screwdriver with a hole at the end, put something through that hole for leverage. And push as hard as you can inward on the screwdriver, or tap with a rubber mallet. And when it's out, replace it with a hexhead bolt.

Already got the bolts.

I've literally never had something stuck this bad that wasn't a 6 inch deck screw. I actually laughed at a few failed attempts, and when it came free I was sure I'd just snapped the head off... but all is well here. Now just to wait for a spool of magnet wire to show up at my door, and then a new gasket. A 4" extension on a socket wrench works well, too, I don't have any screwdrivers with a hole in them.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I replaced the radiator cap on my F2, hopefully I stop dripping little drops of predator blood all over the streets of San Francisco. My next day off i'll be replacing the gasket on the stator cover, it's dripping a tiny bit of oil, not enough to be worried about but it's getting on the garage floor, also doing an oil change on top of that since i'm not sure when the last owner did it and i'll have to drain the old stuff anyways.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

I have no idea how I lived without one of these. Best 40$ or so I've ever spent, jesus. Mine can accept sockets too :3:

This can't be said enough. Never start working on a bike engine without an impact screwdriver around.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The greatest thing ever is when parts arrive before they're anticipated arrival date

Ordered a part earlier this week, shipped Thursday, was supposed to get here Monday, just arrived a few minutes ago :D

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
Installed a set of GSXR forks on my SV. I had bought them from Zen(very nice guy to deal with) back in December just got around to putting them in this week. It's pretty much as easy as people make it out to be. Need to get a headlight and gauges going still and I have a master cylinder on the way(I had an ebay one but it turned out the threads for the banjo where stripped). Still haven't decided if I want to try to remount the stock headlight or go with a set of those little doubles that are all the rage. Also have a full yosh system waiting to be installed. Maybe a paint job afterwords as well. Should be sweet once its done, the real test will be if I want to ride it over my Street Triple.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm glad to see my old forks back on an SV :) Those Yoshi systems sound awesome, too. If I were running that bike on the street I'd probably run a handlebar kit for it...

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I dyno'd it!

The first run wasn't any good because he smoked the tire :haw:. Video in a bit.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Rode it, and it rode well!

Not bad for a night shot on my Nexus One. I've never had it this well assembled and running before. Felt nice to actually have a working bike again.

This is what I started with back in November:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Z3n posted:

Do it on the top of the bottom run of the chain, so that as the chain spins it flings the oil through the orings, too.

I've always just used gear oil...some propellants can break down rubber. But it's probably fine...I'm just set in my ways.

Cool. I did use gear oil per your suggestion.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Wasn't today (was Wednesday), but took it 900 miles in the back of a F250. Wish I could have ridden it to Colorado, but I didn't exactly have the time to mess around with making two trips.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Adjusted my chain (loving pain on the Gixxer) but it's spot on 30mm now and shifting sa-weetly, and topped the oil up. Think I might have a very small leak somewhere, possibly in the cooler.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I painted it some more.

Fixing it, (thanks again baby hitler and Z3n for the FIAT coil)

Prepaint condition

Wheel painting

Frame Painting

Assembled product

Non dirty parking garage photo

THe Headlight and instruments up top are next to be painted, but I couldnt be bothered to take all that apart since I wouldnt spray that on the bike.

Black isnt exactly the safest of colors, but I think it looks pretty badass. :haw:
The tank and fairings I used truck bedliner on, so it resists fuel spills and is also really durable so it wont get scratched up.
The rest of the bike is a flat black BBQ paint, which is the same sort of stuff, its tough and can be just repainted in case there's any dings or damage.

Do you think I should paint the muffler or is that too much black?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Looks good, I like it with the muffler silver still.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Made my riding safer. Swept out the 50 pounds of sand at the turn in to my street so I can back it with out threats of loose sand everywhere

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Rode to my mother-in-law's house for Easter lunch. Weather is freaking awesome and I had a blast.

I felt a slight side to side sway from the back of the bike the last time I rode. I decided to check the tires while at the mother-in-law's house since she has an air compressor and what do you know, 20psi front and back. Aired them up to 28psi and the sway is gone.

I figured that's what it was, so it was nice to see that I actually learned something from this forum. It's cool knowing how to diagnose and fix a problem before it ever happens to you. Saves a lot of hair pulling because I'm sure the first place I would have started would have been the rear wheel's alignment (recently lubed and adjusted the chain by myself for the first time ever) if I hadn't read the symptoms and cure in this forum before hand.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Worked in the garage most of the day.

Both Bikes:
Discovered that between the two bikes, we have 3 Mikuni BS34's. This is going to make cleaning/rebuilding them a comparative walk in the park.

Gorky ('83 XS400 Maxim):
Checked oil and added some.
Figured out that my understanding of the labelling on the petcock is all jacked up, and when I thought I'd had it on "FUEL", it was on PRIME. :facepalm:
Adjusted Throttle Cable
Adjusted Clutch Cable
Checked chain tension, tightened by 3 1/2 turns each side.
Adjusted Rear Brake
Checked Front Brake Master Cylinder

'Lil Bit ('82 SR250)
Checked oil
Adjusted handlebars for more comfort/less Ape Hanger positioning.
Adjusted Clutch Cable
Checked Chain Tension - it's close to needing some tightening, but since it's not there yet, I let it go for now.
Adjusted Rear Brake and Brake Light Switch (That took forever...)
Discovered that the RH fork Tube was sticking out of the top of the triple tree a good 3" more than the left one. Loosened that side, and adjusted it back the hell down where it belongs. The culprit was the lower mount and bolt, it was more than finger tight, but not by much. That almost certainly explains why the front was so easy to bottom out under compression (braking, leaning on it stiffly in the garage...). I thought it needed fork seals or some such.

Took them both out for a short jaunt around the 'hood to ensure that all the fingers and toes wiggled when they should, and didn't when they shouldn't. Wore my 3/4 face helmet and a ZOMG BRIGHT HELLO YELLOW! Mike's Hard Lemonade jacket that I happened to have in the garage for a modicum of abrasion protection above the T-shirt I was wearing (Seriously, how much abrasion can there be at 10 MPH?). Felt (and looked, I'm sure) like a total goob. =)

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009
Also rode out to see family for zombie Jesus day. Went from loner style:

Click here for the full 1024x765 image.

to girl-friendly:

'Tis the season! Had just got it back from the shop after a winter of abuse and neglect (salty roads, fuel stabilizer and infrequent freezing rides). Holy hell did it need it. Rides smooth as butter now (well, smooth as a VL800 gets, anyway).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

soggywaffles posted:

Also rode out to see family for zombie Jesus day. Went from loner style:

to girl-friendly:

'Tis the season! Had just got it back from the shop after a winter of abuse and neglect (salty roads, fuel stabilizer and infrequent freezing rides). Holy hell did it need it. Rides smooth as butter now (well, smooth as a VL800 gets, anyway).

Goddamn I love those colors! :swoon:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Checked the tank for the results of the POR-15 tank lining, and it's coming away from the sides by the tank hump. 4 days waiting for nothing, and today's the last nice day for around a week. :sigh:

Time to decide out if I should flush the liner out and get going with the oil & filter change and ride it home, or leave it here at my folks' place and order another kit and try again.

And I *really* wanted to get mobile ASAP after Easter.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I painted it some more.

Fixing it, (thanks again baby hitler and Z3n for the FIAT coil)

Prepaint condition

Wheel painting

Frame Painting

Assembled product

Non dirty parking garage photo

THe Headlight and instruments up top are next to be painted, but I couldnt be bothered to take all that apart since I wouldnt spray that on the bike.

Black isnt exactly the safest of colors, but I think it looks pretty badass. :haw:
The tank and fairings I used truck bedliner on, so it resists fuel spills and is also really durable so it wont get scratched up.
The rest of the bike is a flat black BBQ paint, which is the same sort of stuff, its tough and can be just repainted in case there's any dings or damage.

Do you think I should paint the muffler or is that too much black?

HAHAHA I remember the Fiat COIL! Badasserry! That paint looks great btw. What kind of bedliner did you use and what brand?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I discovered how the R6's low fuel stuff works:

HA I'm on the express way doing 90 MPH! HOLY CRAP WHAT IS THAT RED LIGHT?

Thank God I read the owners' manual.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Sold it!

Good bye, GS400. I learned all about motorcycles from you. I hope you treat your new owner with a lot more repsect than me you filthy whore.

But alas it is not without a little sadness and a hole in my heart that I bid you fare well. You may have seized an engine on me for no reason, you may have blown both your light bulbs on me in the pitch black on the way to work, but you always came through in the end. You always wanted to keep going. I hope you do.

Good bye, GS400..

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The depth of it's kickstand lean makes even the bike look depressed.

edit:

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I painted it some more.

Thanks for reminding me that I still need to paint my frame and recoat my fairings you rear end :argh:
Bedliner is great stuff though.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2010

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Wife and I went for a 60 mile 2-up ride after we found out her winterizing 'didn't take', as the carbs are shitted up. We used stabilizer, but I don't think she put more than 4-5 miles (on a ninja 250) before putting it up, which means it was probably still working through what was in the lines.

*sigh*

I fuckin' hate carbs. and ethanol. and our incompetence.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

ari.gato posted:

HAHAHA I remember the Fiat COIL! Badasserry! That paint looks great btw. What kind of bedliner did you use and what brand?

I actually painted the tank a while back, between the blue tank and the tire painting I painted the fairings and tank with the stuff. I think it was rustoleum bedliner? Bear in mind the stuff is going to make your surface feel rough like coarse sandpaper. Not that it's a bad thing, (helps me grip the tank) but something to think about.

:siren:We need another socal meet/maintenance day/ride!

AncientTV posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I still need to paint my frame and recoat my fairings you rear end :argh:
Bedliner is great stuff though.

I've owned this bike since 07 and it looked like poo poo the whole time, so I really had no excuse on why it took so long to do this. Just do it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OdinAllfather
Mar 24, 2008

MY FURSONA IS SQUISHFACED
Project ham-day went super well.
I got my Shadow working, minus the throttle cables which I'm going to buy tomorrow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCvoF72dh7Y
It sounds better in real life, it really does. :mad:

To celebrate, my buddy and I took a ride tonight, my first time on two wheels which weren't a bicycle or a CBR 125 in first gear.
He rode around on his 1000cc Virago, and I desperately tried to keep up on a 49cc scooter. drat, those things are fun. I think that I could get into this riding thing. :iamafag: