Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
When, roughly, were the first barbed-wire matches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LightsGameraAction posted:

Is Edge really that injury prone that he needs to be lumped in there?

Hell, I don't think Triple H is even as bad as the rest of them.

But I think a few times between 02-04 at least they were all there together.

Observational Question: Has Vince Russo ever gone in front of a camera NOT dressed like he's still living in his parents' basement?

Yes, Edge seems to go on the DL quite often. ANd I know its because of all the years of his high-risk style, but it also seems to derail him at the worst times. But all those wrestlers in the list were at WM 21.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

Orton started as a babyface, but then he hurt his shoulder. While he was out they started doing RNN updates where he would do heelish face updates about the status of his shoulder.

Not so much heelish, but overboard babyface updates, similar to the vignettes before Kurt Angle's debut. Like, making viewers hate him by him telling them how much they love and miss him.

oldpainless posted:

Yes, Edge seems to go on the DL quite often. ANd I know its because of all the years of his high-risk style, but it also seems to derail him at the worst times. But all those wrestlers in the list were at WM 21.

It's not how often he gets injured, but he's had 3 or 4 long term injuries, whereas Batista is out every third month with a new torn muscle or sprain.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

CSammich posted:

It's not how often he gets injured, but he's had 3 or 4 long term injuries, whereas Batista is out every third month with a new torn muscle or sprain.

I feel like 3 or 4 long-term injuries over the span of Edge's career is unfortunate but not totally unacceptable given how long how long he's been at it.

It's at least not like Batista whose muscles are apparently made of tissue paper.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

CSammich posted:

Not so much heelish, but overboard babyface updates, similar to the vignettes before Kurt Angle's debut. Like, making viewers hate him by him telling them how much they love and miss him.

Yeah, I meant babyface heel.

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Two questions:

When did smarky chants begin to take hold in WWE?

AND

How often have Cena, Orton, Batista, Triple H, Edge and Undertaker been simultaneously healthy?

1) 1999, when the Attitude era was full-blown and everyone was taking things from ECW, whether they were Bischoff or an internet fan.

2) Cena was a heel the fans loved, Orton was a babyface, Batista was Reverend D-Von's bitch, Triple H was in the main event, Edge was an OK babyface who people thought was better as a heel, and Undertaker hasn't been healthy since 1998 anyway.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

WeaselWeaz posted:

1) 1999, when the Attitude era was full-blown and everyone was taking things from ECW, whether they were Bischoff or an internet fan.

You Screwed Bret? That counts as a smarky chant, no?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

You Screwed Bret? That counts as a smarky chant, no?

No. Vince talked Montreal on TV and used it as the focal point for his heel character. Hebner screwing Bret was also brought up on commentary by Jim Ross.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I might call "first smarky chants" at the Mabel match at King of the Ring '95 with the "EC-Dub" chants at the height of WWF's unwatchability.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 5, 2010

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Just curious if its ever happened.

Has TNA ever recieved a 5 star match? I figure Daniels / Joe / Styles the first go round was a good canadite for it but not sure if I ever heard of a match recieving the infamous 5 stars.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

EyeRChris posted:

Has TNA ever recieved a 5 star match? I figure Daniels / Joe / Styles the first go round was a good canadite for it but not sure if I ever heard of a match recieving the infamous 5 stars.

Just one.

9/11/05 AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels (TNA Unbreakable 2005)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X64B7SK4-XQ

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

The A-Team Van posted:

Just one.

9/11/05 AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels (TNA Unbreakable 2005)

I thought Joe/Angle-Fake MMA at Lockdown got 5 Stars too.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

EyeRChris posted:

yeah, same match

edit; joe/angle didn't get 5

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

KungFu Grip posted:

Pulled it from here

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

I believe it got ****1/2 from Meltzer.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Can you suggest some good/funny shoot interviews? There are plenty online but I just dunno where to start.

Kevin Nash has a couple and although they're pretty much the same (as I recall), they're very funny. He's a great storyteller and just a genuinely funny guy. He generally doesn't shy away from questions and is pretty straightforward. Goes through his career, backstage shenanigans, etc.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Erdnase posted:

When, roughly, were the first barbed-wire matches?

The Sheepherders (Bushwackers) and Invader I & Invader III had one on the 21st of September 1985 in Peurto Rico, but I'm sure there must be some earlier than that. They just wrapped the ropes rather than replacing them completely.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Theshby posted:

The Sheepherders (Bushwackers) and Invader I & Invader III had one on the 21st of September 1985 in Peurto Rico, but I'm sure there must be some earlier than that. They just wrapped the ropes rather than replacing them completely.

All wire matches in the state were done with wrapped ropes until Japan started taking the ropes down and replacing them with wire.

benhobbys
Jan 26, 2005

by angerbeet
I don't know if this is the best thread for this, but it's still something i am curious about.

What is up with results of wrestling events being all up themselves when someone gets smacked in the head with a chair? Yeah i know it can be a bad thing, but it serves no purpose trying to hold a wrestling company to account for it when it's just an independent website that does it. It was never this bad before the Benoit thing and i miss how things used to be with that. If a chair shot happens, fair enough that its in the results of a website that writes them up. I just wish i didn't have to see the smarky crap (half a paragraph of one results i'm reading is dedicated to TNA booking) and the UNPROTECTED CHAIRSHOTS! crap when reading results.

Maybe the question is what is a good website that doesn't have this? Not witty or funny stuff either, just an explanation of the events that are occurring on screen without any commentary about a wrestler being green or booking being crazy or whatever.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

benhobbys posted:

I don't know if this is the best thread for this, but it's still something i am curious about.

What is up with results of wrestling events being all up themselves when someone gets smacked in the head with a chair? Yeah i know it can be a bad thing, but it serves no purpose trying to hold a wrestling company to account for it when it's just an independent website that does it. It was never this bad before the Benoit thing and i miss how things used to be with that. If a chair shot happens, fair enough that its in the results of a website that writes them up. I just wish i didn't have to see the smarky crap (half a paragraph of one results i'm reading is dedicated to TNA booking) and the UNPROTECTED CHAIRSHOTS! crap when reading results.

Maybe the question is what is a good website that doesn't have this? Not witty or funny stuff either, just an explanation of the events that are occurring on screen without any commentary about a wrestler being green or booking being crazy or whatever.

I'm not sure I have the first clue what you're saying or asking about?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

TL posted:

I'm not sure I have the first clue what you're saying or asking about?

I believe he's asking if there are any wrestling websites where people send in results without putting smarky remarks after everything that happened.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

CVagts posted:

I believe he's asking if there are any wrestling websites where people send in results without putting smarky remarks after everything that happened.

sescoops.com is the one I sometimes go to and I've yet to see anything too smarky.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

People get upset about unprotected chair shots because it causes lasting damage to the recipient. Negative reaction has gotten stronger lately because of Benoit and a seeming rise in PCS. Wrestlers have enough to worry about with road wear and joint/back injuries, and reducing or outright stopping head shots is a small price to pay for these guys to live slightly healthier lives.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I go to Wrestleview, generally just read the basic results (who beat who), and if Wrestlehut is marking out over something I try to read up on what about (or just find video online) if I haven't seen it.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'll just repost this that I put up a couple of days ago when someone complained about him:
Legend! I've actually seen the Last man Standing match with Triple H which was what made me think I was probably missing out on some fantastic matches.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
OneThousandMonkeys' post is fantastic. To add, here is another great Orton match from Bad Blood 2004 for the Intercontinental Championship. I couldn't find it on YouTube so here it is on Dailymotion.

Promo

Randy Orton vs Shelton Benjamin

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

The Raven/Sandman shoots are just two weirdos shooting the poo poo in a good way.

To be slightly more accurate, Raven and Sandman are what we all mean when we say that wrestling's carny roots are still evident. That said, they're both hilarious, even if Raven has the attention span of a dragonfly and Sandman has an annoying laugh.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

oldpainless posted:

24 and 26 too.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My wife and I were watching Monday Night Wars DVD and we were talking about X-Pac and she asked were they just good friends why aren't they anymore? From what I've heard it just seems like when HHH left DX and joined the corporation there was some sort of falling out. Does anyone know exactly or close to exactly what happened to make Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, Chyna and x-pac hate him?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Spikeguy posted:

My wife and I were watching Monday Night Wars DVD and we were talking about X-Pac and she asked were they just good friends why aren't they anymore? From what I've heard it just seems like when HHH left DX and joined the corporation there was some sort of falling out. Does anyone know exactly or close to exactly what happened to make Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, Chyna and x-pac hate him?

I believe HHH and X-Pac are still somewhat friendly but Im sure HHH doesnt have much time being a main-eventer and a McMahon.

I think Chyna and HHH had a nasty break-up when Hunter got with Stephanie so Chyna feels somewhat jilted by the whole thing.

I think Gunn and Road Dogg just say HHH got a real big ego and became an rear end, in their view. They've talked about it some in shoot videos.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I believe HHH and X-Pac are still somewhat friendly but Im sure HHH doesnt have much time being a main-eventer and a McMahon.

I think Chyna and HHH had a nasty break-up when Hunter got with Stephanie so Chyna feels somewhat jilted by the whole thing.

I think Gunn and Road Dogg just say HHH got a real big ego and became an rear end, in their view. They've talked about it some in shoot videos.

I'm fairly certain Chyna has said she felt she was forced out of the company by Stephanie McMahon when she started dating Triple H too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spikeguy posted:

There have been accounts that when Road Dogg and Billy Gunn showed up at a House Show as part of their retarded "Let's go to war with John Paul Levesque and Michael Hickenbottom!" storyline, Triple H saw them and waved a happy hello. Also when X-Pac was at a house show, Triple H and HBK called him into the ring and they did the DX schtick together and people were going crazy.

I saw a bit of one of Road Dogg/Billy's shoot videos where they said that they enjoyed being in DX because they got paid a shitload but that 90% of their time involved walking back and forth behind Triple H for 10 minutes while he did a promo. I don't think they have anything particular against Triple H other than aspects of things they could use for those worked-shoot promos that Russo loves so much.

Chyna, on the other hand, got dumped by Triple H who then dated, married and had kids with Stephanie McMahon while she quit WWE over money and ended up a drug-addled wreck so she is probably understandably bitter over the whole thing.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
The New Age Outlaws shoot interview is amazing, everyone should watch it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

maniacripper posted:

The New Age Outlaws shoot interview is amazing, everyone should watch it.

From what I can tell it involves Road Dogg doing a lot of talking and Billy Gunn eating a lot of burgers and nodding.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

From what I can tell it involves Road Dogg doing a lot of talking and Billy Gunn eating a lot of burgers and nodding.

So it was pretty much a standard New Age Outlaws promo.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, and Billy laughs a lot too. The Outsiders and Duddley Boys are the same way, with Nash and Bubba doing most of the talking. All 3 are worth the watch though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

In much the same way that The Prestige is about Wolverine and Batman fighting with magic and David Bowie shooting lightning everywhere, yeah.

They also insist that Montreal was a work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

In much the same way that The Prestige is about Wolverine and Batman fighting with magic and David Bowie shooting lightning everywhere, yeah.

It is and I'll brook no disagreement!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

It is and I'll brook no disagreement!
Who's disagreeing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Who's disagreeing?

Edison :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That's not an accurate description of The Prestige at all :(