Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

So is the DSTT still a decent choice if you're going for something super cheap? I'm so pissed off at myself, but I seem to have lost my R4 around the time I got Ace Attorney Investigations, and I'm not too keen on spending too much for another flash cart. Is the DSTT any good?

Get an Acekard 2 instead. It's maybe $1 more expensive (or at least, it was a year ago), but AKAIO easily makes that worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Scaevolus posted:

Get an Acekard 2 instead. It's maybe $1 more expensive (or at least, it was a year ago), but AKAIO easily makes that worth it.

It also works on DSi's and Lites, so its got a bit of future proofing.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Scaevolus posted:

As for where to get it, GBATemp just opened a store that sells flashcarts and that kind of thing, and their prices seem pretty good. Everything's shipped from China though, and they have two main shipping options - slow and cheap (~5 weeks and like $3) or fast and expensive (less than a week and ~$16.) The add-on prices to add microSDs to flashcart purchases aren't bad either.

Edit: They just posted a discount code for the Acekard 2i - AKTEMPER gives you $5 off, making it $11.60 before adding a microSD or shipping.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 6, 2010

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I played a Lone Wolf or something CYOA book on the DS a while back. I don't think that's the name of it. It was really fun, but short ( I beat it in about 10 minutes). Are there any updates to it or anything similar?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Capsaicin posted:

I played a Lone Wolf or something CYOA book on the DS a while back. I don't think that's the name of it. It was really fun, but short ( I beat it in about 10 minutes). Are there any updates to it or anything similar?

There are two Lone Wolf books out for the DS but that's it currently.

edit: http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/index.php

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 6, 2010

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Capsaicin posted:

They're PC based, not DS, but Magnamund Commander and Seventh Sense both are similar tools for playing the whole series.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Aside from Knytt Stories, have there been any notable game releases recently?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there any difference between Acekard 2 and 2i? I only have a DSLite, so I'm curious as to whether or not I'll see a difference.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shinjobi posted:

Is there any difference between Acekard 2 and 2i? I only have a DSLite, so I'm curious as to whether or not I'll see a difference.

The 2i gets updated for new games and features more often, and I think it's only $2 more. Really no reason to not buy the 2i if you're buying an Acekard.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

m2pt5 posted:

As for where to get it, GBATemp just opened a store that sells flashcarts and that kind of thing, and their prices seem pretty good. Everything's shipped from China though, and they have two main shipping options - slow and cheap (~5 weeks and like $3) or fast and expensive (less than a week and ~$16.) The add-on prices to add microSDs to flashcart purchases aren't bad either.

Edit: They just posted a discount code for the Acekard 2i - AKTEMPER gives you $5 off, making it $11.60 before adding a microSD or shipping.

Just in case anyone is looking for yet another place to order the AK2i, I ordered one from 0shippingzone last Monday and it got here today (e: actually yesterday - Tuesday; they ship from Kowloon and I'm in Florida). Their prices are pretty reasonable and, strangely, they even sent me a picture of the package they shipped out instead of just sending an e-mail with the tracking number.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 7, 2010

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

fishmech posted:

The 2i gets updated for new games and features more often, and I think it's only $2 more. Really no reason to not buy the 2i if you're buying an Acekard.
They get updates at the same rate.

Get an AK2i if you plan to buy a DSi in the future. Otherwise, don't bother.

Yisaz
May 21, 2009
Is there any way of telling what firmware is on the AK2i that I receive? I'm guessing it wouldn't do too much harm if I attempted to update to 1.4 firmware if it already has 1.4?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Yisaz posted:

Is there any way of telling what firmware is on the AK2i that I receive? I'm guessing it wouldn't do too much harm if I attempted to update to 1.4 firmware if it already has 1.4?
According to their promotional material, the cards are 1.4 ready. However, you might want to wait a couple of days until you get the card unless there's something you absolutely, positively need to get from the Nintendo store.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Yisaz posted:

1.4 refers to the DSi's firmware, not the Acekard's.

Yisaz
May 21, 2009

Weedle posted:

1.4 refers to the DSi's firmware, not the Acekard's.

When I say 1.4 firmware for the Acekard I refer to the firmware that is compatible with V1.4 firmware for the DSi.

I don't have a DSi but I want to make sure the firmware is up to date when I get the AK in-case my DS Phat dies and I want to replace it with a DSi.

Does anyone know how I can convert a .dsv save file to a .sav file compatible with the AK2i? I'm having trouble finding a converter that will do it that way round.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Scaevolus posted:

They get updates at the same rate.

Get an AK2i if you plan to buy a DSi in the future. Otherwise, don't bother.

Yeah but when the Acekard 2i is $15 and the Acekard 2 is $11 - I don't really see why you wouldn't go with the 2i.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Yisaz posted:

Does anyone know how I can convert a .dsv save file to a .sav file compatible with the AK2i? I'm having trouble finding a converter that will do it that way round.

I would suggest to try this, but I've never heard of .dsv and neither has it.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Yisaz posted:

Not without plugging it in no.

Plug it into a DSi, if it shows "Danny Phantom" then you should be good to go. (sorry for the blurry pic)

If it doesn't show up, then find someone with a regular ds and download the file for it (if you're gonna use a DSi or DSL will determine which one you update the cart with, though really there's no point to update the firmware of the cart unless you're putting it on a DSi)

edit: ask the site you bought it from if they updated it to be 1.4 ready. If they don't know what you're talking about, safe bet to say it's not 1.4 ready

Yisaz
May 21, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

I would suggest to try this, but I've never heard of .dsv and neither has it.

It's the save file that you get if you use DeSmuME emulator on the PC.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yisaz posted:

It's the save file that you get if you use DeSmuME emulator on the PC.
Off-topic, but I wish DS emulators for the PC were better. I like playing the GBA versions of Pokemon at 1,200% speed on my laptop, and I wish I could do the same for the DS version and then migrate the save file over to my legit copy of the game on the DS.

No$GBA seems to play the games quicker than DeSmuME does, but neither is super-fast. I'm sure reverse engineering the DS is impossibly hard, to degrees that I don't understand.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

kalibar posted:

Off-topic, but I wish DS emulators for the PC were better. I like playing the GBA versions of Pokemon at 1,200% speed on my laptop, and I wish I could do the same for the DS version and then migrate the save file over to my legit copy of the game on the DS.

No$GBA seems to play the games quicker than DeSmuME does, but neither is super-fast. I'm sure reverse engineering the DS is impossibly hard, to degrees that I don't understand.

It probably doesn't help that No$GBA hasn't been updated in like 2 years. Either way, why not just use some of the AR codes floating around to speed up the game to ridiculous levels? The one that modifies the running shoes in Platinum to like 10x their normal speed along with the text speed modifier is what made playing it tolerable for me.

Yisaz
May 21, 2009

amf5 posted:

It probably doesn't help that No$GBA hasn't been updated in like 2 years. Either way, why not just use some of the AR codes floating around to speed up the game to ridiculous levels? The one that modifies the running shoes in Platinum to like 10x their normal speed along with the text speed modifier is what made playing it tolerable for me.

There's so many more places where the game just takes too long; I don't care which pocket the item I just picked up goes in, hurry up.

Guess I'll stick to playing Pokemon on the PC.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Of course, literally two days after I get an Acekard to replace my R4, someone releases the Acekard firmware for the R4. :ughh: I just tried it out and, as expected, compatibility is even better than YSMenu (not to mention that the interface is way better).

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

amf5 posted:

Of course, literally two days after I get an Acekard to replace my R4, someone releases the Acekard firmware for the R4. :ughh: I just tried it out and, as expected, compatibility is even better than YSMenu (not to mention that the interface is way better).

Thanks for the heads-up.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

amf5 posted:

Does this work with the M3 Simply?

The hardware is mostly the same sans the simply has 1 thing missing hardware wise.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Hung Yuri posted:

Does this work with the M3 Simply?

The hardware is mostly the same sans the simply has 1 thing missing hardware wise.

I'm not sure, but I think as long as it's not a clone you should be fine. For reference, I tested it on an original R4 that I got back in 2006 or so and didn't run into any problems.

Antidox
Sep 2, 2006
A
Can you explain what that is and what it does, I'm running an R4 and its getting a bit out of date, does that allow me to put a more modern cards firmware on there or something?

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

amf5 posted:

I'm in the exact same boat, and I came here to post the exact same thing.

AK2i-R4 bros. for life.

Antidox posted:

Can you explain what that is and what it does, I'm running an R4 and its getting a bit out of date, does that allow me to put a more modern cards firmware on there or something?

It's pretty much just the AceKard R.P.G.'s firmware redesigned to work on the original R4. The official thread for it on GBAtemp.net claims around 99.8% compatibility.

Mandator fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 9, 2010

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

amf5 posted:

Preliminary testing on my old (like 2007) m3 simply looks like it works just fine.

Woop :D

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Ive been trying to find it but not getting any concrete info, do the CycloDS Evo cards work with the DSi XL?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TR0LL posted:

Ive been trying to find it but not getting any concrete info, do the CycloDS Evo cards work with the DSi XL?

That's a solid no.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

TR0LL posted:

Nope. They need a whole new card designed and they're not going to because the only way to load up a cart on the DSi is to essentially take 1mb or something from a real game in order to fool it so it's hot water they dont want to tread on.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
ah gently caress, is there a flash card out there that does work then?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TR0LL posted:

ah gently caress, is there a flash card out there that does work then?

M3i Zero and the Acekard 2i. The former is being sold by kalibar in SA-Mart.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
ya I Just found that, is there somewhere I can get info on the capabilities of a M3i?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TR0LL posted:

ya I Just found that, is there somewhere I can get info on the capabilities of a M3i?

I'd point you to GBATemp's review of it, but they're down at the moment, so have a cached version of it:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Thanks a lot for your help, im freaking out over here, I just swapped out mine and my wives DS Lite and now we have no software! gotta dig out the origionals, swaping cards pssshh.... so 90's

Edit: Spelling

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 10, 2010

boz
Oct 16, 2005

TR0LL posted:

Thanks a lot for your help, im freaking out over here, I just swapped out mine and my wived DS Lite and now we have no software! gotta dig out the origionals, swaping cards pssshh.... so 90's

I bought an M3i card from Kalibar a few weeks ago and it works great with my XL.

The reader that came with it has also given me zero problems.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Just ordered two. Thanks again guys! Really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm still waiting for my acekard2i from https://www.5thdimensionstore.com but I guess that's what I get for free shipping. Based on their shipping I'm probably gonna get it monday. Bought it friday night, they shipped it tuesday morning, and based on it getting to boston 5 days minimum would be monday :(

• Locked thread