Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Penpal posted:

Also, a general movie question: Have any really good DP's gone on to direct really good films?

Barry Sonnenfeld. DP for Misery, Miller's Crossing, When Harry Met Sally, Big (amongst others) - then directed my fave Addams Family Values (which I think is a really good film).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

NeuroticErotica posted:

I don't think they mean usable footage, I think they mean they get 2-3 minutes of screentime. It's because setting up takes a long time and then you have to shoot the same scene from a lot of angles to be able to edit, and then you're having to set up each time.

Director of Radioactive Man: Milhouse, we've got to shoot the Jimminy Jillikers scene again!
Milhouse: But we did it! It took eighteen hours, but we did it!
DoRM: Yes, but we've got to shoot it from different angles! Again and again and again...and again and again and again!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I do know what happens when a special-effects make-up artist directs a movie.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I have an HDTV and don't have HD service or Blu-ray. Suck it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Penpal posted:

Also, a general movie question: Have any really good DP's gone on to direct really good films?
J. Michael Muro was DP on a couple films (although he's best known as one of the best stedicam operators in the business), and he directed Street Trash (1987). And if you don't think Street Trash is a really good '80s splatter film we will fight.

Edit: Although I think he directed Street Trash before being DP on any notable films...so he didn't go on to direct any really good films.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

So, what's the point of having an HDTV? Because it's a bigger screen?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

X2

Mainly I bought one as my old TV died and I figured it would be neat to have a large flatscreen TV for the 360. Of course, now that's dying. Ugh, planned obsolescence.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Nuke Goes KABOOM posted:

Your local stations don't broadcast in HD?

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

VorpalBunny posted:

So, what's the point of having an HDTV? Because it's a bigger screen?

That and vidya games.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I do know what happens when a special-effects make-up artist directs a movie.

Didn't Tom Savini direct a remake of Night of the Living Dead?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

On the subject of Cache, after reading Roger Ebert's Great Movies review, he points to a shot at 20:39 that he calls "the smoking gun," even though he admits he's not entirely certain what it means. I fast-forwarded to this shot, and it's the dream-state (or so I thought) shot of Majid with a bloody mouth, and though it's dark, he may or may not be eating something. How the gently caress is this the smoking gun?

I still think it's Pierrot.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

bad movie knight posted:

On the subject of Cache, after reading Roger Ebert's Great Movies review, he points to a shot at 20:39 that he calls "the smoking gun," even though he admits he's not entirely certain what it means. I fast-forwarded to this shot, and it's the dream-state (or so I thought) shot of Majid with a bloody mouth, and though it's dark, he may or may not be eating something. How the gently caress is this the smoking gun?

I still think it's Pierrot.

Yeah I don't really know what hes talking about either, its possible his timings are mixed up, because that scene doesn't really answer anything. What I've read other people talk about as something akin to a smoking gun is There is a shot where you are seeing the alleyway near their house where a car drives by and you can see a shadow of a camera set up on a wall for a brief moment. Because this would be seen as a continuity error people say that it must have been intentional by Haneke, and hes the one who is giving the video tapes to the main character (I forget his name :() Which I actually think is a great theory, not because of that explanation, but because it seems like something Haneke would do, and there are plenty of stylistic reasons to believe it in the film itself.

Cache is a really loving good movie though.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FishBulb posted:

Yeah I don't really know what hes talking about either, its possible his timings are mixed up, because that scene doesn't really answer anything. What I've read other people talk about as something akin to a smoking gun is There is a shot where you are seeing the alleyway near their house where a car drives by and you can see a shadow of a camera set up on a wall for a brief moment. Because this would be seen as a continuity error people say that it must have been intentional by Haneke, and hes the one who is giving the video tapes to the main character (I forget his name :() Which I actually think is a great theory, not because of that explanation, but because it seems like something Haneke would do, and there are plenty of stylistic reasons to believe it in the film itself.

Cache is a really loving good movie though.
The real smoking gun, I thought, was the shot at the end, which reveals that Pierrot knows Majid's son. That, combined with the economy-of-characters law and the fact that Pierrot is a rather underexplored and mysterious character -- those are the biggest clues to me.

But, yes, with Haneke's metafictional leanings, I agree that your interpretation is probably correct as well.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

bad movie knight posted:

The real smoking gun, I thought, was the shot at the end, which reveals that Pierrot knows Majid's son. That, combined with the economy-of-characters law and the fact that Pierrot is a rather underexplored and mysterious character -- those are the biggest clues to me.

But, yes, with Haneke's metafictional leanings, I agree that your interpretation is probably correct as well.

I don't really know if it proves what you are implying it proves, its entirely possible that its just a chance encounter.

But thats why its such a good movie.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

FishBulb posted:

I don't really know if it proves what you are implying it proves, its entirely possible that its just a chance encounter.

But thats why its such a good movie.

Absolutely. I thought it was entirely deliberate that at the end of the movie we don't know who did it, and the reason for such is so we can feel Georges' unending frustration. With this movie, Haneke isn't crafting a subtle mystery for us to analyze stills from and obsess over. Instead he wants us to ponder on 'mystery' itself, and guilt, and grief.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

codyclarke posted:

Absolutely. I thought it was entirely deliberate that at the end of the movie we don't know who did it, and the reason for such is so we can feel Georges' unending frustration. With this movie, Haneke isn't crafting a subtle mystery for us to analyze stills from and obsess over. Instead he wants us to ponder on 'mystery' itself, and guilt, and grief.

Which is in line with how he generally makes movies, Time of the Wolf and Funny Games for example.

I should watch more of his movies.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
And this is what happens when an editor directs a film.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Oz
(Walter Murch)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

WebDog posted:

(Walter Murch)

Return to Oz is awesome. :colbert:

I almost like it better than Wizard of Oz. Almost.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

WebDog posted:

(Walter Murch)

An even worse one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253754/

(not to mention that it's a long-running franchise where the "director" claimed that he didn't need to watch a single episode to direct it. At this point, I'm pretty sure you know which movie I'm talking about).

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Return to Oz is awesome. :colbert:

I almost like it better than Wizard of Oz. Almost.

Agreeing with this with all my tin heart (if I only had a brain).

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
And here's what happens when a hair stylist directs a movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338325/

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Let's not even get into when a hair stylist produces movies.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Return to Oz is the most creative interpretation of the Oz books to date and transforms two mediocre sequels into one fantastic reimagining of a familiar world. Is it as ground breaking as the MGM original? No. Is it a bit too scary for kids? Yes.

But damnit, it's an awesome movie :colbert:

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Penpal posted:

Nicholas Roeg springs to mind.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Penpal posted:

Christopher Doyle's segment of Paris je t'aime was my favorite, really genius. I haven't seen any of his features, though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Saul Bass was a graphic designer who made some incredible and iconic movie posters:

(he also designed the Bell Telephone logo and the AT&T "death star")

He also made some fantastic film title sequences, like the one from Psycho (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4L9J-CUAl8) or Vertigo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkHn8PNGYaA).

Anyway, here's what happens when a graphic designer makes a movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070531/

I think this is a really good and largely overlooked film. I don't know why people don't lump it in with the canon of 70s sci-fi, because it really belongs in there.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

InfiniteZero posted:

Saul Bass was a graphic designer who made some incredible and iconic movie posters:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1343063261314199679
Here's him discussing various title sequences he did.

He also made an academy winning doco in 1968 "Why man creates"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nHOWkfGFsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_cXXdEpeZg

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Rake Arms posted:

Return to Oz is the most creative interpretation of the Oz books to date and transforms two mediocre sequels into one fantastic reimagining of a familiar world. Is it as ground breaking as the MGM original? No. Is it a bit too scary for kids? Yes.

But damnit, it's an awesome movie :colbert:

I agree with this completely, although I remember seeing this as a kid and liking it a lot, I didn't find it that terrifying. Disney has made a few movies I liked a lot (and still do), but they weren't happy with their own work and really downplayed them. The Black Hole was another such movie.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Your local stations don't broadcast in HD?

Or he might not have an HD cable box where that TV is located.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

InfiniteZero posted:

Anyway, here's what happens when a graphic designer makes a movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070531/

I think this is a really good and largely overlooked film. I don't know why people don't lump it in with the canon of 70s sci-fi, because it really belongs in there.

Phase IV is AWESOME. It drags a bit near the end, but on the whole it's beautiful and hallucinatory - should be in that surreal movie thread.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
In Sherlock Holmes Sherlock clearly punches people in the face in slow motion. How do they accomplish this affect? It is a mask with ballistics gel and make up? I mean they can't just actually go around punching people as hard as they can in the face right?

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
I'm not gonna say I know this for fact but yes. For the sake of film (or at least a decent paycheck), you will find someone willing to be socked in the jaw.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

thehandtruck posted:

In Sherlock Holmes Sherlock clearly punches people in the face in slow motion. How do they accomplish this affect? It is a mask with ballistics gel and make up? I mean they can't just actually go around punching people as hard as they can in the face right?

It can be done in CG. The climactic facepunch in Matrix Revolutions was CG.

gridirongrandma
Apr 9, 2010

ZackHoagie posted:

I'm not gonna say I know this for fact but yes. For the sake of film (or at least a decent paycheck), you will find someone willing to be socked in the jaw.

I believe they are commonly called "stuntmen" and can be found in any actor listing in Hollywood. In fact, they may even have their own listings!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

thehandtruck posted:

Shooting with a high speed camera, you'd be surprised how much the human face wobbles.

http://vimeo.com/1675008

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

WebDog posted:

Shooting with a high speed camera, you'd be surprised how much the human face wobbles.

http://vimeo.com/1675008

Wow cool.

See, that video would be great if at the end it showed how hard the punch was (in real time), because I guess that's really what I'm trying to understand. I mean it's gotta be a pretty big paycheck to sustain, what looks like, a concussion or other forms of mild brain damage.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 14, 2010

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I watched "In the Heat of the Night" last night. Overall it was pretty solid, great performances by Poitier and Steiger, but I didn't quite follow the logic of the investigation. Tibbs and Gillespie go out with Sam on his regular rounds, they avoid the slutty little girl's house, and then Sam is accused of murder. Then, the girl comes in with her brother, saying Sam knocked her up. Finally, of course, Tibbs visits the abortionist and catches the girl with her real baby daddy, the cafe guy, who's the real killer. But how in hell did they make the logical leap from "the girl is pregnant" to "whoever knocked this girl up killed Colbert"? Was it just the money?

edit: if this is in the wrong thread, sorry, I just couldn't find another thread for "I have a specific question about a specific movie"

TonTon
May 1, 2008

thehandtruck posted:

In the extras on the Blu-ray, they show a few takes of those scenes, and yeah, it's people gettin' punched in the face. Robert Downey also did his own stunts in that boxing scene!

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
What are some movies that really give a nice sense of weight and urgency to the use of firearms? A good number of films that involve hails of bullets don't tend to capture my attention. Also, I'd prefer less recommendations for war films, since I have a bunch of those on my list I need to watch anyway.

For reference, I've seen a fair chunk of the more popular action/adventure choices like Die Hard (which I actually thought handled the employment of guns very well, despite some scenes of heavy use) and most of the obvious films from the 80s, but not a whole bunch of independent films that involve guns in any meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ServoMST3K posted:

What are some movies that really give a nice sense of weight and urgency to the use of firearms? A good number of films that involve hails of bullets don't tend to capture my attention. Also, I'd prefer less recommendations for war films, since I have a bunch of those on my list I need to watch anyway.

For reference, I've seen a fair chunk of the more popular action/adventure choices like Die Hard (which I actually thought handled the employment of guns very well, despite some scenes of heavy use) and most of the obvious films from the 80s, but not a whole bunch of independent films that involve guns in any meaningful way.

I've been meaning to see Punisher: Warzone (I think that's the title?) due to posts in some SA thread saying it was very firearm-focused, with proper but still really entertaining methods to all his destruction.

Oh, and watch Heat, now.