Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

MMD3 posted:

my point with that was simply that they've already got all of the coverage they could possibly need and then some.

I figured that was probably what you were talking about.

In terms of size, a government owned and backed broadcaster is significantly larger in scope and size than Rolling Stone and capable of a lot more coverage.

It's a shame but oh well.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Already Bored posted:

I figured that was probably what you were talking about.

In terms of size, a government owned and backed broadcaster is significantly larger in scope and size than Rolling Stone and capable of a lot more coverage.

It's a shame but oh well.

:psyduck:

yeah, not sure what their reasoning for denying you would be then but I know Coachella has always a struggle to line up photo passes for and has been getting increasingly more so every year.

That being said they're usually pretty lax about bringing in SLR's w/out photo credentials if you don't mind shooting from the crowd, you just might have to try a few different security guards at the entrance before one of them is okay with your 70-200.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It would be hilarious if someone took a Sigma 200-500 f/2.8 and shot a concert through the tent opening.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

It would be hilarious if someone took a Sigma 200-500 f/2.8 and shot a concert through the tent opening.

Pfft, who needs 2.8? Whack a 2x teleconverter on that sumbitch, shoot f/4 like every person should and shoot from the food tent.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I, Butthole posted:

Pfft, who needs 2.8? Whack a 2x teleconverter on that sumbitch, shoot f/4 like every person should and shoot from the food tent.

Food Tent? Shoot from a ladder in the carpark. No need for a photo pass!

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

If you guys are shooting a music festival, what's the one lens you just can't do without?

I got asked to shoot one as a favor and I don't have much of a budget to work with ($150 for the day plus food), so I'll probably only be able to rent one lens (if I even need it).

Current gear-
D300s, D80 bodies
35 1.8, 50 1.8, 17-50 2.8, 80-200 2.8
SB-600 and B800 lights

I'm missing a really wide lens, but I don't know how much I would use that...Since I'll be the main photographer for the event I can set up wherever and do whatever I want as far as strobes go.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

headshot24 posted:

If you guys are shooting a music festival, what's the one lens you just can't do without?

I got asked to shoot one as a favor and I don't have much of a budget to work with ($150 for the day plus food), so I'll probably only be able to rent one lens (if I even need it).

Current gear-
D300s, D80 bodies
35 1.8, 50 1.8, 17-50 2.8, 80-200 2.8
SB-600 and B800 lights

I'm missing a really wide lens, but I don't know how much I would use that...Since I'll be the main photographer for the event I can set up wherever and do whatever I want as far as strobes go.

I'd say you have it pretty much covered. :eave the 35 on one body and the 80-200 on the other and you'll probably be set for the night.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rent an 85 if you suspect the light might be poo poo, but you're pretty much covered.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you're shooting a concert where the stage is fairly high up and the pit isn't right up against the stage, 35mm should be okay unless you really want those sweeping wide angle shots, which your 17-50 should do all right with. As long as the light is decent in the daytime, you'll probably be running with your 17-50 and 80-200 almost all the time.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Crossposting from the Wall of Shame:

Drummer shots are the best shots :downs:

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Rent an 85 if you suspect the light might be poo poo, but you're pretty much covered.

That's the only range I thought I might need but I'm not all that worried about it.

Oh and to clarify the B800 is an Alien Bee, not an SB-800. I may stick it with the stage lighting :ssh:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

headshot24 posted:

That's the only range I thought I might need but I'm not all that worried about it.

Oh and to clarify the B800 is an Alien Bee, not an SB-800. I may stick it with the stage lighting :ssh:

If it's a large festival it'll probably be 3 songs, no flash, so forget about that unless you want to do socials. I just got back from Bluesfest, and I took two bodies; however, by the end of day 1 I was so loving tired of lugging around a backpack with 2 bodies, battery grips, a flash, my 70-200, 17-55, and 11-16 that for days 2 through 5 I downsized to the 5D Mark 2 w/grip and 70-200 lens, and a 430EXII and 11-16 in the bag just in case I felt like doing some social shots. YMMV though; the stages I was shooting on most of the time were mostly 7 feet tall.

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I'm gonna be his main guy for the event so I'll be there all day, I wish it was just 3 songs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

I've shot a concert with a 300mm f2.8 and a 1.4x extender before, more than once in fact.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
I need some help getting photo-passes for "Big"er bands. So far I've fired off 5 emails and only gotten two responses (a yes and a "It's not our call, ask the bands") the rest haven't even given me a "Piss off" email. I've emailed PR, Management, Venues, Promoters and even the Band themselves, (Between The Buried and Me (who said yes), Paramore, Mastodon, Against Me! and the Promoter of some other shows who also own a venue) Am I just trying to bite off too much too soon with no portfolio/website to show off my work, or am I just going about it the wrong way? These shows aren't until may/june, so I have plenty of time to figure out a way to get in. I have a contact in the local paper (Their music guy), who also maintains a blog, but he's also a photographer, so he's usually grabbing up the photo-passes.

Any advice?

I really want these in my portfolio to give some "validity" to the whole thing. I just feel like I'd be more confident name dropping some big national bands. I've already shot a few regional and national bands (Skies Alive, Paria, Atavan, The JV Allstars), I think grabbing at least one big national touring band would be amazing.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

AtomicManiac posted:

I need some help getting photo-passes for "Big"er bands. So far I've fired off 5 emails and only gotten two responses (a yes and a "It's not our call, ask the bands") the rest haven't even given me a "Piss off" email. I've emailed PR, Management, Venues, Promoters and even the Band themselves, (Between The Buried and Me (who said yes), Paramore, Mastodon, Against Me! and the Promoter of some other shows who also own a venue) Am I just trying to bite off too much too soon with no portfolio/website to show off my work, or am I just going about it the wrong way? These shows aren't until may/june, so I have plenty of time to figure out a way to get in. I have a contact in the local paper (Their music guy), who also maintains a blog, but he's also a photographer, so he's usually grabbing up the photo-passes.

Any advice?

I really want these in my portfolio to give some "validity" to the whole thing. I just feel like I'd be more confident name dropping some big national bands. I've already shot a few regional and national bands (Skies Alive, Paria, Atavan, The JV Allstars), I think grabbing at least one big national touring band would be amazing.

An established portfolio (online and easy to access) will help you to no end. It's all well and good to want to shoot the biggest bands around, but it's unlikely that they need a relative nobody with no connections to any publications or established back catalog to shoot one of the hottest bands in their stable of artists.

Shoot local, get some great shots, then start approaching press; they'll start getting media passes for you, or at least give you the bigger credibility and backing to get a pass for it.

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

AtomicManiac posted:

Any advice?

1. Get yourself a portfolio

2. Start speaking to as many publications (legitimate online ones and offline) as you can. Focus on online initially as there you're best "in" and online publications get a wide variety of access these days.

I've found I get introduced to the bands and the PR via whoever I'm shooting for, and build relationships through that.

Online publications will be a lot easier to build a rapport with than PR/management/promoters, too. At least initially.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I've recently joined a local online mag, and I'm bugging the absolute poo poo out of them trying to secure a press pass for Flogging Molly at the end of the month; they say they've emailed the band's management but haven't heard back. Assuming they can get me a pass, the whole situation's great; I'm better than most of the photographers they have on "staff" (it's volunteer only, so far, mostly college students), and I get great access to shoot shows I'm already planning to attend.

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009

Already Bored posted:

1. Get yourself a portfolio

2. Start speaking to as many publications (legitimate online ones and offline) as you can. Focus on online initially as there you're best "in" and online publications get a wide variety of access these days.

I've found I get introduced to the bands and the PR via whoever I'm shooting for, and build relationships through that.

Online publications will be a lot easier to build a rapport with than PR/management/promoters, too. At least initially.

Just going to re-iterate this general advice.

When I started out I had no idea who to get in touch with and I think you can save yourself a bit of time and effort by skipping management and venue emails. At least personally I've only had luck with PR contacts, or if you can't find one, ask to be pointed in the right direction.

I've had similar success when saying I was shooting for myself and my own portfolio work as to when I've said I'm shooting for a small music blog, but that might just be my luck.

Hadn't shot anything for a good couple months because I grew tired of hunting down contacts and shooting off emails, however recently started shooting for a local zine that's starting up soon so hopefully they'll do all that legwork for me.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I hate gig lighting sometimes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SimonomiS posted:

I really like that shot.

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I really like that shot.

I was quite happy with it until I realised the band is a five-piece. :gonk:

Could really do with a 1.8 35mm or something similar.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

SimonomiS posted:

I was quite happy with it until I realised the band is a five-piece. :gonk:

Could really do with a 1.8 35mm or something similar.

Sigma 30mm 1.4. I don't use anything else for gigs.

I don't understand how people use 70-200s in a press pit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I don't understand how people use 70-200s in a press pit.
Shoot at gigs with better light, and you need the reach when you're 5 meters away from a 2 meters high stage.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Shot a few shows last week just told build up my portfolio a bit.

Sam Hadfield

Lady Rizzo and the Assets

The Health and Happiness Family Gospel Band (shot this digital and 35mm)

Kodak 800 Ultra

Arista Premium II

Digital

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Try Delta 400 at 3200. It's great. I'll post some stuff I shot last week later today.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

HPL posted:

Try Delta 400 at 3200. It's great. I'll post some stuff I shot last week later today.

Awesome. I tend to shoot quite a few concerts with lovely lighting so I would like to see what other people have found to work.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Sub Focus

Thought you guys might like this one:

Click through for big.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Here are some I shot at a circus in Brazil. They got off the stage for a song and there I went with them. Had no time to adjust the angle of my speedlite tho:

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 8, 2010

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I don't see this mentioned this much in this thread, but I guess it's kinda relevant. Does anybody do much roaming club photography?
I shot Sub Focus (a DnB DJ) last night at a party, along with the other acts and getting some crowd shots for promo. The promoter also asked me to get individuals dancing/partying, which I've never done before, and it was...interesting. Loads of people just wanted their picture taken, I got hassled loads by drunk people grabbing my camera, and you obviously get loads of attention from (unfortunately skanky) girls.

Overall was a fun night though, I'm dumping my cards right now. Hope they came out decent.

Feel free to PM me if youd like some of my input, unless you are working Washington, DC, in which case I would ask you to kindly gently caress off :). My club stuff is on my website... which is on my profile.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I shot a show at my college Tuesday night which the local pop-punk band A Loss for Words headlined. I don't have a ton of photos up just yet so I'll post a couple preview shots. Both are of A Loss For Words.

Matty the lead singer

The jumpy bassist (I know I cut off the tip of the bass but he was tough to catch)

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Oprah Haza posted:

Feel free to PM me if youd like some of my input, unless you are working Washington, DC, in which case I would ask you to kindly gently caress off :). My club stuff is on my website... which is on my profile.

I don't have PM, should I grab your email from your website and drop you a line?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I don't have PM, should I grab your email from your website and drop you a line?

Yeah of course!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
A different view of the Byron Bay Bluesfest. Full set here.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Anti-Pop Consortium

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

A Photo and a question for you folks:

Do you guys go to shows alone or with people? I hate going by myself because they're social events and in between bands is really awkward if you don't know anybody (especially if you're shy) but when I go with people I ignore them during the set while I take pictures, often leaving them to get angles.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Anti-Pop Consortium

Great photo!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I usually go alone, but I know the crews at most of the venues I shoot at :)

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Yea, I was debating if I would go or not by myself. Turned out great, shot a Juggalo band (who paid me $20), a Metal band who I was there to see (Who got me drunk) and a modernesque Nirvana type band (who gave me a free EP). Pretty good for a newbie just trying to make a name for himself.

As a bonus, the guitar player of the metal band was awesome and the Guitar player of the band I shot last week was there with his girlfriend and they're both awesome as hell.

Summary: Shooting shows alone is probably better since it forces you to network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

Summary: Shooting shows alone is probably better since it forces you to network.

Very, very true. When I go with the girlfriend, I can't be off talking to other people and ignoring her. And then if we're talking, other people generally don't want to be rude and interrupt.