Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need new skates soon. Like real soon. I'm down to maybe a dozen or so sharpenings left on one skate. Oddly enough, the other skate has plenty of life. I think the guy who did my skates in Tampa was dumb and had to re-do one skate over and over a bunch of times.

Anyway, that's like a few hundred bucks I don't actually have, so I might be done for a while soon until I can scrap some money together. That or I just try to craigslist a really crappy cheap pair. My feet are certainly NOT going to be happy with me :(

I'm never buying a new pair of skates that doesn't have replaceable blades again. Even cowlings are expensive. I wonder if I can get a crappy pair of skates, take the cowlings off and put them on my relatively nice and comfortable KoHo 580s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I have RBK6k skates. Not only are they comfy as hell, have a mother loving PUMP (which I don't use), but they also have replaceable blades. I picked them up for 299 at a local pro-shop. The replaceable blades really sold me on them.

Plus they match my gear. :3:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I'm disappointed, gco called me last week, they needed another goalie for an ice open skate they had going on, and he even had the stuff to sub in for some of my roller gear I wouldn't trust on ice, and I couldn't go because of a prior commitment. I was terribly disappointed, as I haven't been on ice in ages. And with the Easter break, since I play on sunday in my two leagues, I haven't played it two weeks.

I wish it was just me being lazy. I wanna play!

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Keeping up with this thread has made me feel like a bad hockey player, so far this spring I have turned down 3 teams in 2 leagues for the spring/summer. Hell I am even removing my name from the call list for an indoor rink that runs shinny all summer. Basically I am not even sure if I want to return to the ice next year, once the rinks melted up here I hung my pads up and had my skates sharpened so they would be ready to go and all desire basically went with the winter. These days I would much rather take the 2-3 hours that would be hockey in the evening and spend it hiking, biking, running, or just relaxing with friends. I fear my desire to play the game has been hampered by the psychotic competitive nature of beer league hockey in this city, the fact that I blew both my knees out in January and couldn't walk right for a month, and that with the sun shining I would much rather enjoy the summer. Who knows there may be a glut of gear for sale next October from me, I figure I would sell off all my extra gear but leave me with enough to suit up once in a while as opposed to 3-4 times a week. Oddly enough I am still considering picking up an R10 set in the fall if only to satisfy my need to look nice at the rink.

To all you summer goalies, I salute you.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I need new skates soon. Like real soon. I'm down to maybe a dozen or so sharpenings left on one skate. Oddly enough, the other skate has plenty of life. I think the guy who did my skates in Tampa was dumb and had to re-do one skate over and over a bunch of times.

Anyway, that's like a few hundred bucks I don't actually have, so I might be done for a while soon until I can scrap some money together. That or I just try to craigslist a really crappy cheap pair. My feet are certainly NOT going to be happy with me :(

I'm never buying a new pair of skates that doesn't have replaceable blades again. Even cowlings are expensive. I wonder if I can get a crappy pair of skates, take the cowlings off and put them on my relatively nice and comfortable KoHo 580s

Unless you find another pair of Koho 580's that's probably not going to work... or if it does, it's going to be a really weird and awkward fit with the boot and cowling. Why don't you just try and replace the cowlings on the ones you have? I know Koho is kind of out of business (but you can still buy pads like the 580's or something? I don't know) but have you tried calling around to goaliemonkey and other big places and seeing if they might be able to call CCM or whoever and figure something out?

Also, can't say enough about the RBK #K series. I have 9K's and while they weren't cheap they're really nice... my only complaint is that I don't seem to get the same power I did with my Bauer 7000's since there's less blade to push with - though part, if not most/all, of that is probably me. I used to have to wear massive foam donuts around my ankles since my old Graf's gave me really painful pressure points that the Bauer's didn't relieve but it's never been an issue with the RBK's with their pump (and really, I don't even have to use that and I still don't have to worry about the pressure points).

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
RBKs have those little snap things to keep the laces in place which is a godsend when lacing up. That is my little mark to go from tying real tight to loosening up a bit for ankle movement.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

Polish posted:

RBKs have those little snap things to keep the laces in place which is a godsend when lacing up. That is my little mark to go from tying real tight to loosening up a bit for ankle movement.

Agreed, they've locked me in as a customer with that feature so long as they're the only ones providing it. I think it's even more important than the pump feature (although I like that quite a bit too).

Polish posted:

The weather is getting to me too. I played tonight and I just didn't have any energy.. I wasn't really into the game. I think I need to go to the doctor to figure out why I am so tired all of the drat time...

...I do this quite often.. play great for 20-30 minutes and then just fall apart and let in everything.. it is so frustrating.

Maybe it's:

- Dehydration?
- Not enough carbs?
- Not enough electrolytes?
- Not enough sleep?
- A thyroid condition?
- Not enough muscle conditioning?
- Not enough heart conditioning?

The last two I take care of during the week at the gym (and my Thyroid tested okay a few years ago), but with regard to the first four, if I forget/miss any of them, I run out of gas 30-45 minutes in (like this morning's pickup, for example :p ). Sleep and dehydration affect me the most, followed by food. Also, I have to remember that pre-hydration is just as important as re-hydration.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to the tryout tonight and it ended up being a non-stop hour long scrimmage with only two goalies. I started out shaky, especially since there were a couple plays were I played the shooter straight up and I couldn't get back to the post in time to stop the other shooter camping by the post. Ideally in a team situation I could instruct my D to cover the far post in those situations, but I probably should have relented and used a VH, so that I was in position to quickly slide to the other post.

I started playing better as the scrimmage wore on and I even managed to pull off a couple highlight reel saves. My best save of the night was against a Canadian guy with an exceptionally hard shot. He was on a breakaway and I came out of the crease to challenge him, I quickly take away the space between me and the shooter, I drop into a butterfly and proceed to kick the puck off of his stick and into the corner. I got a big reaction from everyone on the ice and the guy complemented me on the save. I had a couple other flashy saves, but I felt that overall my play was a bit inconsistent. Hopefully they saw enough flashes of my ability or their standards are low enough that they'll have a space for me. If not, then they at least know who I am now, so hopefully I can start subbing there soon. I may check with them and see if they need goalies for Monday's tryouts, since I'd like to put forth a more consistent effort and it probably would help my chances to catch on with a team.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I'm really starting to get used to this whole goalie thing. After the first half (weird, I know) last night we were tied 3-3. My team scored the eventual game winner like 30 seconds into the second 22-minute half. 22 minutes of absolutely shut-down goaltending to keep my team the lead and win 4-3 :rock: Can you say glove save on the shorthanded breakaway with 5 minutes left?

After 5 games my team is tied for first at 4-1 with 14GA (2nd) and 23G (1st) This is an awesome experience. :unsmith:

Aniki-I know what you mean with the inconsistency, and that will just get solved with time. Last night I let in an easy one between my arm and body, a pass from behind the net that bounced off a skate and in, and a loving wraparound :saddowns: All 3 of those are saves I coulda made and will make but hey, beginner league.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Does anyone have any recommendations for Hockey Equipment in Montreal? I know it probably sounds like a silly question, but rather than go to Sports Experts and put up with a poo poo selection/high prices, I'd like to put some effort into it and find a giant hockey-warehouse-type-place. Looking for non-goalie gear, but I figure what's good for one would be good for the other. Looking to buy some new gear rather than used. I have good shinny equipment, but I need everything but gloves, stick and skates.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gigabitnokie posted:

Aniki-I know what you mean with the inconsistency, and that will just get solved with time. Last night I let in an easy one between my arm and body, a pass from behind the net that bounced off a skate and in, and a loving wraparound :saddowns: All 3 of those are saves I coulda made and will make but hey, beginner league.

It turns out that they need goalies for the next group of tryouts on Monday, so I went ahead and volunteered. I figure the worst case scenario is that I get to play hockey at a convenient time and this way even though I already had my tryout, I'll have another chance to prove myself. I guess that could go either way, but I'd still rather have the opportunity to show them what I'm capable of.

I'm not sure how many goalie spots they have available right now, so I figure that volunteering to help them out with the tryouts should increase my odds of getting opportunities to sub in for real games. It would be nice to join a team, but if I could sub semi-regularly and play for free, then I would be perfectly happy with that.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Played my first game last Friday. We won 9-2, it was pretty awesome. I only saw about 9 shots in 45 minutes of play, and 2 went in, which kinda sucks. They were both off rebounds, so I guess that should make me feel better...

One thing I want to note is how deceptively difficult it is to move around once in the butterfly. The so-called-speed-crawl (I guess some people call it this), where you've butterflown (?) and then pick up a leg to push laterally? Impossible. Just can't seem to catch an edge, and if I do, I usually end up pushing wrong somehow and end up rotating 90 degrees and sliding about 4 inches.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Protip of the day:

Don't make a desperation save unless you're in a game. I did one of the "I'm sliding to my glove side but I want as much body mass as possible on the other side of the net" desperation moves with the outstretched blocker hand during a practice (palm exposed :gonk:) and got nailed in my loving ring finger with a 1-timer by the coach. My fingernail is blue and my finger is way bigger than it should be and is purple on the other side.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to another tryout today. I was the only goalie, so it was a good thing that I came. I faired a little better than last week, still let in some stupid goals, I had trouble with a sniper who did a really good job of hitting the upper corners of the net, and my post discipline kind of fell apart once I ran out of energy. Still though I made some nice glove saves, I did a really good job on plays in tight until the very end of the session, and I made a really nice save butterfly sliding from post to post to stonewall a wrap around. I guess that I would rate my performance as slightly better than last week, but I also felt like I showed off some different skills this time around.

I'm not sure how many, if any, goalie spots are available, but I should hopefully know whether or not I have a team by the end of the week. If not, then I hope that I made enough of an impression in the tryouts to get some chances to sub, but I'm just happy that I was finally able to attend a tryout.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 13, 2010

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Hooray for not being winless on the season anymore! Tonight I had a ridiculous goal that went up off my blocker and then the back of my helmet. I actually felt it hit my helmet and tried my best to spin around and knock or sweep it away before it went in, but it trickled in just out of my reach. At least I made up for it by making a huge momentum-turning glove save on a breakaway deke and ended up winning 5-2. Goal support is a rare but amazing friend.

coldwind posted:

One thing I want to note is how deceptively difficult it is to move around once in the butterfly. The so-called-speed-crawl (I guess some people call it this), where you've butterflown (?) and then pick up a leg to push laterally? Impossible. Just can't seem to catch an edge, and if I do, I usually end up pushing wrong somehow and end up rotating 90 degrees and sliding about 4 inches.
It's not something you can just do without a ton of practice. The PHT DVDs I've been promoting way too much do a good job of breaking it down into a few steps you do very explosively, but pausing inbetween each step.

To work on what you're describing (using your skate blade to go from butterfly to butterfly slide -- called butterfly push or backside push), you should start in your stance. Then butterfly. Track the imaginary rebound with your head and eyes. Rotate your entire body square to the new angle starting with the head and shoulders as you bring your push leg up vertically. That step is the most important. You need to get your skate blade as flat as possible perpendicular to where you need to go with your knee high. Now you push with your sliding leg lifted a bit off the ice. Bring the push leg in to form a butterfly after you finish your push.

The hardest part for me was really getting a good rotation and getting the push leg high (leaving your entire blade flat on the ice). If your blade isn't flat, you aren't going to be able to get a good push no matter how sharp your skates are cut.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

It's probably more for roller goalies, but I picked up this Tour Aironic Pro 800 off of Inline Warehouse for $170 new. I found some 10% off coupon online that worked, so I ordered one up. Much better than the 10 year old C/A I've been using. Might not be bad for low level ice, but I won't know how strong it is til I get it in. For roller though, like I said, looks plenty good, and for $170 new, I didn't think there was much beating it.

OK so I played a couple games in the new chest protector, and made some adjustments for it to fit slightly better, but I'm still running into a problem. My old protector wasn't as big, and it didn't interfere too much with my pants. This one does, and it rides up a bunch. Basically every other stoppage I'm pulling it back down to a more comfortable position. Do I just need to keep tightening it? How do you guys deal with this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fuuck, playing for the first time in three weeks tonight and it feels like I tore my bicep or something. It's not actually torn, and I can move my arm but it just hurts every time I do. What the gently caress, life <:mad:>

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

OK so I played a couple games in the new chest protector, and made some adjustments for it to fit slightly better, but I'm still running into a problem. My old protector wasn't as big, and it didn't interfere too much with my pants. This one does, and it rides up a bunch. Basically every other stoppage I'm pulling it back down to a more comfortable position. Do I just need to keep tightening it? How do you guys deal with this?

If you have suspenders, you can wear those over your C/A to help anchor it down. The only problem with that is that it may require some help to take the suspenders off. There is also a loop that will be either on the inside our outside of the belly of your C/A. Take the laces/string that you use to tie your pants and tie them to the loop of your C/A. That will help to keep your C/A in place and if you couple that with pulling suspenders over your C/A, then everything should pretty much stay in place.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Don't have the suspenders, but the loop I definitely know where that is, and will try that, thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would definitely recommend getting a pair of cheap hockey suspenders. You should be able to get them anywhere. They really help a lot.

Played at Kraft Hockeyville 2010 rink today :smug: -- the dasher boards were plastered with nothing but Kraft ads for mac'n'cheese and poo poo like that :lol:

For not playing for three weeks, I think I did OK. I let in a terrible fivehole goal that I should have had, and a lot of cross-crease 2 on 1 passes that I guess I could have had if I cheated a lot more, but overall I think I did OK. I felt really uneasy on my skates though, as if they were rockered really abnormally. I hope that's just the ice at the new rink being weird, or just not having played for three weeks.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I had my appendix out and can't play for awhile. Lame.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I had two hernias at the same time dealt with. Same general region. Expect it to take 2 weeks to heal up and then prepare for nice sharp shooting pains as the wound heals inside. Speaking of.. where I had the hernias repaired are starting to hurt real bad especially the day after I play. Wonder if the repair can fail after like five years.. hm.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Rolled my ankle skating out in a different league :cheers:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

EDit: Wrong thread

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Sounds like you did some damage in your foot there.

I twisted my knee.. again. Exactly two years later.. same exact knee. What the hell. Ibprophen, whiskey, beer, heat, a brace, and two weeks off should fix this.

drat we are going down like flies.. time to call up the backup goalies from AI or something.

I am pretty pissed about this knee.. I hope I am not loving destroying my knee. And I am now thinking of not playing roller ever again.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I pulled my groin at training this week doing some simple drills. Left skate got caught in a rut and decided an immediate 90 degree turn was appropriate. Should be fine for more training on Sunday but I'm realising I have soooo far to go until I am a good enough skater to play in a game :(

My turns SUCK so hard it's not funny. I just haven't worked out how to cut into those super sharp turns with any speed. It helps when we've got the cones out and doing some stickhandling drills where I'm more focused on not losing control of the puck than the turn itself. Not to mention my braking ability is garbage - just don't seem to have the confidence to really bend right down and commit to a hockey stop at high speed. I must be getting old because I used to pick up this sort of stuff a lot faster than it feels this is taking me. Oh well!

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
A hernia can reappear after repair Polish, also reading this page of injuries and thinking back on my own this season makes me wonder the following:

Do you guys cross train or just play hockey? After I blew my knees out I took some focus on general conditioning that I am continuing now as the summer progresses. These days I walk the dog for 7-10k every day, am trying to hit the gym 2-3 times a week, yoga everyday, and have started the couch to 5k running plan. Beyond that I am also riding my bike as often as possible, the goal is that either my body will fall apart entirely or become conditioned enough that when I start playing again in the fall my knees will survive and my fitness will improve my game. This new regime is hard but fun and all I have noticed is that I barely play video games now...I miss Team Fortress 2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm the most out of shape guy in here probably. I just started biking to school but that's about the extent of my cross-training.

Ironically, other than a sore wrist from a car accident in December (or whacking it to Carey Price, you decide) and my trademark grinding knee sound I've been generally pretty good lately.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Everyone in this thread stop getting hurt!!!

I can apparently play again in like 10 days so that's cool, I figured I'd miss more time than that.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Yep, jumping on the injury bandwagon. Pulled a muscle in my neck so it's not super severe, but it's bad enough that it woke me up every time I moved last night :(

It was the first time I've ever played games on back to back nights and good lord were my legs completely done after the first minute of the third. I'm sure the 9 holes of golf I played in the afternoon didn't help, both with the legs and the neck issue :v:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Martytoof posted:

I'm the most out of shape guy in here probably.
No way. I spend at least 75% of my total waking time sitting in front of a computer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

coldwind posted:

No way. I spend at least 75% of my total waking time sitting in front of a computer.

I'm unemployed AND a programmer.

CHECK. MATE.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I'm unemployed AND a programmer.

CHECK. MATE.

Unemployed pothead. Double. Check. Mate.

(College student)

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I cross train by drinking beer and eating wings.

But I just spent a little time in W&W discussing some things that should get me going. So as soon as my knee heals up I am going to start doing some cross country running, among other things.

I wonder if the change in weather is causing these injuries.. Or I am possibly an idiot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Very interested in losing ~20lbs to get down to the 170 I should be. I'm absolute death on a treadmill though. Biking 8k for cardio for the past two days since it's been nice out, and I plan to keep it up into the summer. My diet really needs an overhaul but I literally can't make five/six/seven smaller meals stick. For one thing I'm a big baby who just needs to be told what to eat or I'll eat nothing for most of the day then one giant meal.

Not to get all W&W in here, but I think losing 20 would help me out so much that I can't even begin to imagine.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
My other side hobby is cooking.. so I get to cook all these nice meals. One of my favorite for before games and such is pasta tossed in olive oil, grated parm or Ramona cheese, salt and pepper. So easy..good.. and light.

Its actually pretty easy to make food that tastes good and works in a diet.. you just need to have some motivation to cook. And your method of eating is horrible.. always make sure you have breakfast and then just little snacks throughout the day. Turkey sandwiches are great and simple. Pretzels and baby carrots get you through the day. Lots of water. I personally love kiwis and eat 2-3 a day.. they are negative calories. Have a moderate sized meal for dinner.. nothing huge.

I usually go anywhere from 155-165 lbs during the week depending on how much I play. I just need to build some drat muscle.. I am so out of shape.. uhg.

e: Also, I am sure none of you are Flyers fans. But you should check out how their goalie Boucher did a complete 180 on his game. He was giving up some horrible horrible goals for an NHL goalie.. and making huge mistakes. But since the playoffs he is just making huge saves and seems to always be in position. Pretty neat thing to see.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I have yet to hear back from the hockey directory, so it's not looking like I have a team right now. I'll check back with them next week to make sure that I'm on the sub list. I'm not too shocked, because while I played well at times during the tryouts, I wasn't nearly as consistent as I would have liked and let in some soft/weird goals. Of course, I then go ahead and play on Tuesday night and I play out of my mind and make the flashy saves that I was making at the tryouts without letting in the soft goals. To be fair, it was against a slighly lower talent level, but my friend said it was the best he's ever seen me play. I guess it makes sense, since it was the thrid time I had played in less than a week, but I just wish that my timing was a little better and I had that performance on Monday instead.

In other news, I picked up a new stick today. It's another Sher-Wood 9950, which seems to be the stick I default to if I can't find anything else I like. I also picked up a Tacki-Mat rubberized grip/knob for my stick. I doubt it will make a huge difference, but I've heard good things about them, so I gave in and decided to try it. I also bought some replacement snap clips for my mask, since I managed to break one of the clips on my mask. It's a necessary purchase, but $13 for a bag of plastic snap clips seems a bit crazy.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I will swear by TPS wooden sticks. Lightweight.. handle great. I still have my first one from a year and a half ago.

And be happy that you are even on the ice. The rest of us are on the IR. :colbert:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Just dropping in to remind people to wear your god drat cup. All the time. Just got back from this morning's development league session with a severe case of puck nuts.

I'm standing in goal during the 15 minute scrimmage they do at the end, nothing but snowboard gloves and a stick for protection. This little gently caress (who is skating circles around everyone and should really be in the advanced class) skates in and lasers one directly into my sack. I guess it's mostly my fault for standing in goal with no cup but god drat. There's 6 year olds playing with my group and this dude is trying to go Shea Weber on everyone. I think/hope he felt bad when I immediately puked on the ice but if I was capable of seeing anything more than red, blue and purple then I would've Ballard'ed him in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need to get a double cup or something. I've taken shots to the cup that have put me on the ice for a good two minutes.

• Locked thread